Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

drrockso20 posted:

So looking at the FAQ for the Steam release it seems it does support fan made mods if they're compatible with the original version of Quake and aren't reliant on specific source ports(though they do mention that this new version does have raised engine limits compared to the original version), you just have to have the mods in the right folder

The person that made the Slayer's Testaments mod managed to get it working, but with broken menus with one map crashing. Was also able to get the new missions into quakespasm, but the map messages are missing cause they're being pulled from the kpf's localization files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Swapping out the Quake engine seems almost blasphemous. At least with the Doom ports you were still getting the real engine in a Unity wrapper. I don’t see how they can replicate the feel of the game without exactly copying all the bugs, mistakes, simplifications, and oversights of the original physics & movement code. Has bunny hopping been implemented?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
:shobon:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

david_a posted:

Swapping out the Quake engine seems almost blasphemous. At least with the Doom ports you were still getting the real engine in a Unity wrapper. I don’t see how they can replicate the feel of the game without exactly copying all the bugs, mistakes, simplifications, and oversights of the original physics & movement code. Has bunny hopping been implemented?

I'm sure rocketpan will show up eventually to get into the detail but yeah the movement physics feel right. You can bunnyhop, you can strafejump, you can run straferun, it's probably no different from any other sourceport that uses quake's code

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Wow, this new Quake source port/engine enhancement thing was a surprise. It looks nice, in that it displays the game in a high resolution, but manages to maintain the bit-mapped (?) textures. It's also got the music, so now I can finally experience Quake with the music.

It's cool they added the Machine Games expansions (though I guess Machine Games is part of Bethesda/Zenimax). I downloaded Dimensions of the Past back in 2016, but never got around to playing it, so I suppose I can toss the file (unless they removed the download for it, and there's no way to play outside of the new source port).

Only two things I don't like so far is 1.) you have to go through all the logos at the start, which is in stark contrast to how Quake would start immediately (I'm sure there's probably a way to disable them), and 2.) at the start of a level, there's a screen fade transition, which is a little disorienting.

I managed to get the Slipgate Pacifist achievement, thought it took a few tries. I like that the achievement for beating Scourge of Armageddon is 'Scourge Done Slick', in reference to the speedrun/machinima.

I just wish I liked Quake more. I've only played through the whole game once, and there don't seem to be as many mods that mix up gameplay like there are for Doom (I know there's a lot of level packs, but I'm not familiar with any gameplay mods).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake is a real good time, and Im eager to play more of it, even if the "functional" arsenal for the game is pretty small

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

david_a posted:

Quake is open source, you can implement the same things in another engine if you wanted. (Plus they own it)

I'm not sure which bugs are necessary exactly, but quake movement isn't that hard to copy.

Lmao yes you can bunny hop it wouldn't be quake otherwise.

I wouldn't even consider the movement code to be part of the 'engine', at least in modern terms it isn't. Rendering and resource management and okay physics somewhat (but again, even if you're using some engine with physics that doesn't feel like quake, you can always roll your own physics on top and make it be the exact same code quake 1 used, so IDK as long as you care you can do it)

I mean if that's how you want to look at it, then by that definition the console ports of Quake aren't Quake because they don't use the exact same engine code. That's sorta silly.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 20, 2021

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I just wish I liked Quake more. I've only played through the whole game once, and there don't seem to be as many mods that mix up gameplay like there are for Doom (I know there's a lot of level packs, but I'm not familiar with any gameplay mods).

Yeah there aren't many standalone gameplay overhauls. However a lot of modern map packs make use one of the following:

Copper - minor tweaks to improve the vanilla gameplay. Stuff like better ogre AI and bullets penetrating through enemies

Arcane Dimensions - new weapons and additions to the bestiary as well as themed textures to go with the new monsters

Those both come with built in levels if you wanted to try them. Tbh I don't really go for the big Doom TCs unless there are maps built for them (like Paradise) so idk if that's what you're looking for.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Squeezy Farm posted:

Yeah there aren't many standalone gameplay overhauls. However a lot of modern map packs make use one of the following:

Copper - minor tweaks to improve the vanilla gameplay. Stuff like better ogre AI and bullets penetrating through enemies

Arcane Dimensions - new weapons and additions to the bestiary as well as themed textures to go with the new monsters

Those both come with built in levels if you wanted to try them. Tbh I don't really go for the big Doom TCs unless there are maps built for them (like Paradise) so idk if that's what you're looking for.

Arcane Dimensions is the mod I see brought up most all the time in relation to Quake. I have it downloaded, but again, haven't played it yet. It looks like it's been updated since then (to v1.80)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I was real excited to play this when it updated this afternoon but man it feels awful. It feels like you are riding a unicycle on ice. I am someone who basically speed runs Q1 on a weekly basis and I had trouble doing the first secret jump today. The movement and physics feel way off. It's nice what was done but I don't think most of the improvements are worth what is broken.

Thankfully the source ports exist, although I wonder if development on them will slow/cease now?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Djarum posted:

So I was real excited to play this when it updated this afternoon but man it feels awful. It feels like you are riding a unicycle on ice. I am someone who basically speed runs Q1 on a weekly basis and I had trouble doing the first secret jump today. The movement and physics feel way off. It's nice what was done but I don't think most of the improvements are worth what is broken.

Thankfully the source ports exist, although I wonder if development on them will slow/cease now?

What, the community ports? Nah, they won’t wind things down. If anything interest in Quake as a whole will spike after this unveiling.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Djarum posted:

You sure it's not just a config difference? I'm able to play speedrun demos perfectly fine, surely any movement physics differences would desync them

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Isn't the Kex engine like a middleware framework that they use to implement input and audio and stuff in a cross-platform way so they can put it on consoles? I don't think this is a reimplementation or approximation of the Quake engine in terms of graphics or movement (any more than your average source port at least).

Also I found it was very floaty until I turned off Vsync.

Volte fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 20, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Djarum posted:

Are you getting a good and smooth frame rate? Things feel pretty normal to me but I'm also no speedrunner

Volte posted:

Also I found it was very floaty until I turned off Vsync.

That's my thought. Motion blur also makes it feel more floaty but that's more psychological.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Really excited and got both the axe the Shambler and e1m1 pacifist run done.

I'm enjoying it so far and excited about Quake 1 getting all the love. Been playing off and on with Quakespasm, so fun to notice all the new details between the two, but I haven't touched the multiplayer since Team Fortress.

I'm going to have to wait for them to bring in Quakeworld, right?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Having Quake on Switch owns so much. I decided to just mess around with it a little bit before bed but ended up going through all of episode 1.

I hope ports of 2 and 3 come next.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

david_a posted:

So is this actually a version of the Quake engine or just all the assets ported to Kex?

A.o.D. posted:

There's a kex logo during start up.

david_a posted:

HolyKrap posted:

I'm sure rocketpan will show up eventually to get into the detail but yeah the movement physics feel right. You can bunnyhop, you can strafejump, you can run straferun, it's probably no different from any other sourceport that uses quake's code

Quake hasn't been "swapped out" at all, Kex doesn't have its own playsim unlike Unreal or such to even do that with. It's the original C Quake code transposed into C++ and compiled into the Kex framework, using cross platform APIs where necessary (such as rendering and networking). It's not even like Doom's Unity shell running library, it's straight up native code.
Basically any "issue" or behaviour that occurs in this port is typically straight up just how Quake always worked, give or take any changes necessary to make sure things don't detonate.

Max Wilco posted:

and 2.) at the start of a level, there's a screen fade transition, which is a little disorienting.
A necessary addition. There's a couple of frames where the client has fully snapshooted in yet and they end up seeing a bunch of garbage map data (yes, even in singleplayer, you are never not running the netcode). For presentation reasons we skip that and fade over from the old frame.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

david_a posted:

shut up nerd. you can still literally play that exact game right now. you just want to be mad about something. play the new version. or dont.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Djarum posted:

Try turning off vsync. I had some really nasty input lag issues and mouse movements felt really floaty and wrong until I turned it off.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I cant say for sure without the mod thats lets you see your velocity, but regarding physics and quirks, wall straferunning feels like it works exactly as in vanilla, as does power bunnyhopping, but the last one can easily be placebo. What im getting at is if they went thru the effort of putti g these quirks in then itd either a tremendously careful recreation or it was simply no effort at all and they just copypasted the source code and added some new calls to render or hooks to enable modern poo poo. I mean, quakespasm or darplaces or mark five or whatever arent the original engine exactly either

As for that dude not liking quake, personally (even tho its a game i really like and replayed likely more than 50 times) especially after playing arcane dimensions, the base game isnt very good. The maps are alright at best, and the monsters are super tanky to compensate for how many they could put in one place without 96 pcs frying dead. Like the super shotgun, takes four shots to put down an ogre, an enemy introduced in the second map. Then theres fiends and knights too. The double shotty becomes very slow and tedious weapon to use imo and thats no bueno in a shooter.

Fortunately both of these issues are solved in AD, where the levels are great, they dont have to concern themselves with overloading the pc with enemies since were in the 21st century so they can have a lot more fodder at once, and more importantly the triple shotgun, which means spongy enemies can be taken down fast by making you consume even more ammo. And also they turn hitscans into really fast projectiles so you dont get sniped by random assholes.

But despite all this, i will replay base quake over and over because few games feel as *smooth* to play in such a raw simple visceral way.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 20, 2021

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Quake:
Judging by my PC X1 controller experience, the tuning seems to repeat the mistake of Nightdive's Doom 64: the stick deadzones are too big, and this time they are making X-axis turn too slow to compensate.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I imagine they originally intended to use more frequently the soldiers and dogs as the low tier fodder(rather than how in the final game after episode 1 they only appear in one level per episode) but upon realizing how taxing the game would be for most computers at the time if they went too heavy on enemies per level they decided to instead to mostly stick with the more tough fantasy monsters to compensate for the lower overall monster count(I imagine this is also probably the real reason they decided to make Zombies only die from being gibbed, so they could get more use out of them without having to put a million of them in each level) and also probably why Quake is more trap heavy than Doom and Doom II were

It also shows how quickly computer tech was advancing at the time because by the point Scourge of Armagon comes out they already can put a lot more enemies in a single level than base Quake

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I've never played Scourge, but one of my biggest reasons for preferring Doom to Quake overall is the enemy counts, so I guess I should give it a shot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Something not discussed is that it seems some sound effects have been improved. They could redo them in 22khz, instead of the original 11khz.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just found Sandy's Room by accident

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lemon-Lime posted:

These are absolutely fantastic - I didn't notice the change at first because my brain just parsed it as "this is what Quake 1 looked like."

I was too distracted by the smooth animations on the enemies to notice that the models are smoother as well.
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1428476843162705923

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does the achievement for beating E1M1 "without firing a shot" mean don't use the fire weapon key, or just don't shoot anything?

Getting through it with an ax seems doable, at least moreso than the alternative.

I just kept running and hopping and never attacked. You'll need the megahealth and the armor you get from going right into the water at the bridge tho. Even then it was a close call at the very end, I wouldn't have survived my successful pacifist run without health packs in the final room.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 20, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

whattodo.jpg

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I just found Sandy's Room by accident

I hope you're doing well

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Who is tom chick? I can't believe anybody would defend strafe of all games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

I was too distracted by the smooth animations on the enemies to notice that the models are smoother as well.
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1428476843162705923

Well it doesn't need more than it already has

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

koren posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tom-chick-the-man-who-hated-deus-ex

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

koren posted:

Game journalist. Worked on a few places:
"As a freelance columnist, he has written for a number of sites, including Firing Squad,[5] Yahoo Games,[6] GameSpy,[7] GameSpot, Xtreme Gamer,[8] 1Up,[9] Rotten Tomatoes[10] and others. His articles have also appeared in magazines such as the "Tom vs. Bruce" series in Computer Gaming World, and he was listed as "one of the field's rare American practitioners" in an article on "New Games Journalism" in the New York Times.[11]"

Infamous in some circles because he gave Deus Ex a bad score

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Ah well, some people are odd.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Turin Turambar posted:

Infamous in some circles because he gave Deus Ex a bad score

Maybe he outta fill out a job application to Ringling Brothers since he wanna act like a fucken clown.

https://twitter.com/pixel_axel/status/1428639689184002053

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 20, 2021

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I got Quake again for free because I've owned it on my Steam account for years and he probably got it the same way. What a weird thing to be mad about.

Also it's not like there isn't room in my heart for Quake AND Dusk

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's kind crazy to compare Quake to games clearly heavily inspired by it.

But Amid Evil and Dusk are some amazing stuff.

One thing that bugs me about both Dusk and Quake, and to a lesser degree, Heretic, is the lack of an "ultimate" weapon, which makes it funny that Amid Evil amends Heretic's lack of one.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 20, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Protip for people with perf issues:
https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1428647562425389060

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

God drat, modern game artists are getting so good with this poo poo. Like this is a prime example of modern retro, keeping all of the feel of the original but making it not look as jank.

(As opposed to going full jank, because lol old games looked bad rite?? Or going full modern AAA which just clashes with everything else. Bravo to the artist(s) here)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

for anyone else that can't see embedded tweets:

Samuel Villareal posted:

For those who are getting performance issues on the hub level in the new episode of Quake, can someone try setting r_gpuCulling to 0 in the console? I am curious to see if that is the culprit or not.