Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/rice-university-covid-virtual-learning/285-9413fc02-9035-4ef0-9a77-5989b2a97e1f

quote:

Rice University to start school year with virtual learning due to COVID surge

HOUSTON — Rice University will operate virtually for the first two weeks of classes and push back its school start date due to the surge in COVID cases, officials confirmed.

The first day of classes for Rice students was initially scheduled for Monday, Aug. 23. The new start date will be Wednesday, Aug. 25.

Officials said professors may petition to be exempt from virtual classes and teach in person. The university said it intends to return to full in-person instruction later this semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

silicone thrills posted:

I love the whole WA DOH website so much since it just waves the OMG WE ARE SO VACCINATED bit at the top and then... dum dum dum

impressive optimism on dat curve prediction

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Just two weeks to flatten the curve

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

wait it's almost like this was completely predictable

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
ruh roh some third shot booster havers in Israel are starting to pop positive

https://www.timesofisrael.com/tv-14-israelis-who-got-3rd-shot-later-infected-with-covid-19/

quote:

Fourteen Israelis have been diagnosed with COVID-19 despite having been inoculated with a third COVID-19 vaccine dose, according to Health Ministry data reported by Channel 12 news on Sunday.

According to the network, two of those infected after receiving the booster shot have been hospitalized.

It was not immediately clear whether the 14 contracted the virus before or after receiving the booster. Such sporadic instances would not be enough for medical officials to draw conclusions as to the third dose’s general effectiveness in fighting off the Delta variant of the disease.

Eleven of the 14 cases were over the age of 60, and the remaining three were immunocompromised individuals under 60, the network said. The two that were hospitalized were over 60.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Are YOU a C-SPAMMER who has had their job hosed by COVID or is being forced to go back to a plague pit so your boss can see your smile?
Do YOU or someone you know have a knot in their stomach because they have to roll the dice with death every day for a pitiful paycheck?
Do YOU have a stable internet connection for 40 hours a week and are able to read words, talk without throwing up, and not be a total shithead on the phone?
Do YOU live in Ohio, Delaware, Utah Arizona, or Illinois?

GOOD NEWS! WE'RE HIRING!

Hi! My name is Business Gorillas and I want to do BUSINESS with YOU!!! My company is currently hiring for phone jockeys in a couple different departments. These are entry-level customer service positions with the following benefits:

- :siren: COMPLETELY WORK FROM HOME, WE'LL EVEN MAIL YOU A COMPUTER :siren:
- $16.00/hour starting and guaranteed full time
- A signing bonus of up to $2,000 if you stay for one year.
- Full benefits including health insurance, dental, vision, ~20 days of PTO, no-excuse sick time, and education assistance totaling a maximum of $10,000 a year.

I'm not going to lie, the jobs I have are dull and unrewarding, but I bet your current job is too! Tell those petty tyrants you debase yourself for tips to or that retail manager who keeps hitting on the 17 year olds to work with to :supaburn:GO TO HELL:supaburn: and join a company that won't ask you to risk your lungs for your pay. Hell, as long as you're not awful, there's plenty of room for promotions as soon as there's spots available!

:smith: "All I have on my resume is that I was a worker at the Dick Sucking Factory for 3 years and a Grease Trap at McDonald's..." :smith:
I DON'T CARE. I'm not here to make commissions or get money for what I'm doing, I'm here to keep you alive. NOBODY SHOULD HAVE TO RISK THEIR LIFE FOR A PAYCHECK, AND THAT INCLUDES YOU. Send me a DM and we'll work on your resume! I'm a bullshit artist by trade, so let me help YOU get a job where you can dodge Delta.

:smith: "I'm not in one of those states you talked about..." :smith:
SEND ME A DM ANYWAYS! If I can't find you a job, I'm working with other goons that also have positions at their own companies. If they're a good fit, I'll connect you two!

:smith: "I want a WFH job, but I have skills and $16.00 doesn't work for me..." :smith:
STILL TALK TO ME! The goons I'm working with have other jobs available. Hell, if I think you're overqualified for my jobs, I'll connect you to them anyways! I want you to make as much money for as little work as possible!

WE LOSE ENOUGH OF OUR LIVES TO OUR WORK, GOON. THERE'S NO REASON TO LOSE YOUR LIFE BECAUSE OF IT.

Inquire Within or send me an email at wfhjobsforgoons at gmail dot com

:hmmyes:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kalensc posted:

So this touching of computers....

What does someone actually need to "know", or have "studied", to get such a gig

I can write in qbasic and I have previously disassembled and reassembled a tower to add a cd burner and a whopping 64 megabytes of ram

I am a high school dropout and I make six figures writing software that pulls claims data for public health metrics

Took me twelve loving years to get here but it beats what I was doing before (fiber optic splicing).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/tv-14-israelis-who-got-3rd-shot-later-infected-with-covid-19/

Still gonna get each and every booster they'll give me.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

okay I'm going back for #4 in two weeks

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Boat Stuck posted:

gently caress I just saw this

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1428448303549718535

3 senators and a governor

pretty soon our entire government will be a bunch of sentient virus in bags of human skin

they'll finally raise the debt ceiling to pay for all the Senatorial cheese lung treatments

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

lol
https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1428484771965976577

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mdemone posted:

okay I'm going back for #4 in two weeks

another advantage to the Max Titers strategy

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm fairly amused that Biden is so much worse than I had expected

ME TOO

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

future Max/Maxine Titers of the thread, here are your magic words:

"I don't have any insurance"

"ah dang my ID's back at home, sorry"

"here for my first jab!"

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

hahahahahah holy poo poo i cannot imagine thinking i could do anything like this person's "normal week" with my kids

https://twitter.com/tt_dubs/status/1428531903339106311

absolute insanity

hahah oh my god that schedule

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

mod sassinator posted:

huh wonder how that could be i was assured that boosters led to clinically different outcomes despite little to no evidence to support that

(this too is early, i will just enjoy my smug superiority for a moment before delta rips my lungs asunder)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

fosborb posted:

hahahahahah holy poo poo i cannot imagine thinking i could do anything like this person's "normal week" with my kids

https://twitter.com/tt_dubs/status/1428531903339106311

absolute insanity

"i'm not afraid because the governor has told me multiple times i can't" sure is a sentence

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

mod sassinator posted:

*dusts off forged Crackl-Ping id* Yall gonna keep loving around with me and turn me back to the old me

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

the ending scene from ong bak with the steroids except its this thread and booster shots

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

I love the whole WA DOH website so much since it just waves the OMG WE ARE SO VACCINATED bit at the top and then... dum dum dum

Here's my county in SW Washington

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

cr0y posted:

Monoclonal antibodies. Cool and good when used properly.

It's also made out of dead babies! :v:

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

Israel starting vaccinating 60+ year olds on August 2nd, so if they're symptomatic now, they all would have contracted the virus within 2 weeks of the shot. Pfizer's data shows max titers against Delta 4 weeks after the shot.

Israel started vaccinating the immunocompromised on July 11th

Apr 7, 2003

Helith posted:

So let me get this straight

people in Florida who are really ill with covid are going to a library

to buy regeneron

which the governor of Florida, DeSantis, owns shares in

and they are collapsing in the queue

yeah lol

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Lacrosse posted:

It's also made out of dead babies! :v:

Good news everyone! Regeneron is about to become much more available!

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

covid is over!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I've been assured repeatedly by THE SCIENCE and her disciples that breakthrough cases are rare and there's nothing to be worried about, which is why I need to immediately hop on a plane to go visit Disney World/Hawaii/Applebee's and Live My Life

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

kalensc posted:

I can write in qbasic and I have previously disassembled and reassembled a tower to add a cd burner and a whopping 64 megabytes of ram

I was entirely self taught. You can do one of those coding boot camps (I have coworkers who did and were hired, so I don’t think they are complete scams*) but I was so desperate to get out of teaching I had no problem forcing myself to learn nights and weekends.

Learn whatever you find interesting enough to be able to get yourself to learn (it’s basically like learning an instrument, where the first few weeks are incredibly because you can’t do anything yet so practice sucks). If that’s making practice fart apps then do that, if it’s programming a server to generate a fart.html webpage based on data in a fart.mdf database then do that. (Probably don’t do video game programming because you have to compete for jobs with clueless 22 year-olds who are happy to work 80 hour weeks and be harassed by Blizzard for $35k a year.)

Probably get one of those programming interview guidebooks because techbros like to ask dumb computer science questions that make them feel smart while being unrelated to what you will actually be doing.

It took me a year and a half to go from literally no programming experience to feeling confident enough that applying for a job was a better use of my time than learning more. But again, I was only learning nights and weekends. Once I started actually job searching it took maybe 3 months to get hired. I was told the hired me specifically because of my education background. The interviews were a lot easier than when I was trying to get a job right out of college, even though I don’t have a degree in computer touching, because I had actual work experience I could talk about. Plus after talking to angry parents and moody teenagers for years, making conversation with regular adults was easy mode.

*The only scam is that programming is probably one the last solidly middle class/upper middle class jobs in America where there are more jobs than people to do them, so salaries are too high for capital, which is why tech companies love to push for tech camps for kids, coding boot camps, and crying to Congress that enough people aren’t going into STEM jobs.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Doesn't LA have really lovely air and fire smoke bearing down on it?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

kalensc posted:

computer touching sucks for the first few years after the 4-year or bootcamp but if you stick it out it'll be a lot better then.

its pretty hard to get the 0y job. most of them don't pay well. they probably suck too.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

a pandemic of the unvaccinated!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

trust only your prior sars1 infection

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mod sassinator posted:

They’re old and it’s just 14 people, seems about right

Apr 7, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

computer touching sucks for the first few years after the 4-year or bootcamp but if you stick it out it'll be a lot better then.

its pretty hard to get the 0y job. most of them don't pay well. they probably suck too.

I got my entre into the computer toucher world by getting a data entry job with Fisher Scientific and using their resources to self-train in Oracle poo poo

Also basically lying non-stop about my capabilities and learning on the fly

If you're not a Top 100 BS CS dork, absolutely learn to dress well and look nice at work and at interviews because that will handle 90% of the work for you. This forum is full of people who poo poo on wearing nice shoes and getting nice clothes but the class barrier is 8/10ths of getting into a good job and if you dress well and seem confident you'll get all sorts of jobs you aren't qualified for.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

They’re old and it’s just 14 people, seems about right

all of the things that put you at risk for COVID being bad probably keep you at risk regardless of how many shots you put in your body i would guess

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

mod sassinator posted:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1428527092866691074

1700 deaths reported today... some of it backlog, but still :stare:

lmao everyone I know calling me a pessimist for saying we'd be at 200K cases a day by labor day

jokes on them, I was too optimistic

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you're not a Top 100 BS CS dork, absolutely learn to dress well and look nice at work and at interviews because that will handle 90% of the work for you. This forum is full of people who poo poo on wearing nice shoes and getting nice clothes but the class barrier is 8/10ths of getting into a good job and if you dress well and seem confident you'll get all sorts of jobs you aren't qualified for.

as a professional bullshitter this is absolutely true

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
my boss at my last job would come in early and leave late every day so it looked like he worked hard but then he would just do absolutely nothing at all the entire day, as far as anyone could tell.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I got some really interesting insider information from the Seattle music scene today; someone I know is a musician that plays at bar-type venues in and around Seattle and they said that they had 3 gigs lined up that all got suddenly canceled. The liaison from one of the larger venues told them that the DSHS* is quietly going around to businesses and giving them the heads up that if cases aren't brought down within 3 months then the state is going to lock down everything like last year. This is leading music venues to cancel anything except priority shows, and they suspect that the recent Watershed Festival at The Gorge Amphitheater that happened at the beginning of August is what spurred the health department to take action. The case counts originating from that festival must be worse than the state government is letting on, and is probably directly responsible for Inslee's decision to bring back the mask mandate state-wide.

edit: typo, it's Department of Social and Health Services, not Department of Homeland Security

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 20, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Boat Stuck posted:

gently caress I just saw this

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1428448303549718535

3 senators and a governor

pretty soon our entire government will be a bunch of sentient virus in bags of human skin
That's an Independent, Republican, and Democrat. This non-partisan virus is bringing the country together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

my boss at my last job would come in early and leave late every day so it looked like he worked hard but then he would just do absolutely nothing at all the entire day, as far as anyone could tell.

Bring a handheld emulator full of ROMs and you too can climb the corporate ladder while also beating every final fantasy game + make a lot of money at the same time.