Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, the part that gets uncomfortable is that everybody who is actually in charge of Krakoa is giving off a fairly clear, if subtextual, vibe of "we are going to establish mutant supremacy and make non-mutants into a subjugated class; we look forward to doing to you as you did unto us".

I mean, not really. They literally tell us what they're planning on doing and it's not that. And you can claim "secret ulterior motive", but it's just not there on the page and the fact that a good chunk of people immediately decided that was the plan and still haven't considered that maybe, no, the story the writers are telling isn't about how the allegorical fictional minority is just waiting for the first opportunity to enslave the whites straights humans is weird to me just from a Doylist perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Adder Moray posted:

I mean, not really. They literally tell us what they're planning on doing and it's not that.

I mean, Magneto's speech while eating steak spells it out pretty clearly.

quote:

And you can claim "secret ulterior motive", but it's just not there on the page and the fact that a good chunk of people immediately decided that was the plan and still haven't considered that maybe, no, the story the writers are telling isn't about how the allegorical fictional minority is just waiting for the first opportunity to enslave the whites straights humans is weird to me just from a Doylist perspective.

Really? I feel like "this figure's ideology is so obviously correct that we need to make sure we through some serious evil in there so nobody starts thinking this stuff is good" is a commonly-remarked-on failure mode of modern Marvel media.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

"They will think we are doing one thing, but the truth is we are doing something altogether different."

-Xavier

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, the part that gets uncomfortable is that everybody who is actually in charge of Krakoa is giving off a fairly clear, if subtextual, vibe of "we are going to establish mutant supremacy and make non-mutants into a subjugated class; we look forward to doing to you as you did unto us".

Magneto telling the representatives of the powers actively trying to genocide him AGAIN "You have new gods now" isn't a proclamation of mutant supremacy. It's a statement of power to the current power brokers. The whole Davos issue is about how Krakoa is beating the powers at their own game. No one is advocating subjugation of humanity (*insert Beast joke) . Prideful comments about being the evolutionary future isn't supremacy, especially when that's literally a plot point!

Or another perspective: is T'Challa a Wakandan supremacist? What's the difference in the pride in being Wakandan vs Krakoan?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

danbanana posted:

Magneto telling the representatives of the powers actively trying to genocide him AGAIN "You have new gods now" isn't a proclamation of mutant supremacy. It's a statement of power to the current power brokers. The whole Davos issue is about how Krakoa is beating the powers at their own game. No one is advocating subjugation of humanity (*insert Beast joke) . Prideful comments about being the evolutionary future isn't supremacy, especially when that's literally a plot point!

Or another perspective: is T'Challa a Wakandan supremacist? What's the difference in the pride in being Wakandan vs Krakoan?

Wakanda generally isn't portrayed as actively working towards world domination. And when they do do lovely things like "we have a cure for cancer and you can't have it", they get called out on it, in-story and out-of-story.

Honestly, people are reminding me again that a lot of the takes people have on Krakoa depend on how they choose to interpret the subtext behind the enigmatic or deceptive remarks made by characters like Xavier and Magneto, which is a very annoying mode of storytelling and a comparison to World of Warcraft that I didn't expect to be making.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rand Brittain posted:

Wakanda generally isn't portrayed as actively working towards world domination. And when they do do lovely things like "we have a cure for cancer and you can't have it", they get called out on it, in-story and out-of-story.

Good point: Krakoa is giving their cancer cures to humanity. Pro-genocide move there!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Also there may or may not be something in the mirrors in Gotham/the DC universe in general that drives people to insanity.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Carol Danvers hung around Uncanny X-Men for a bit and was generally seen to be pitching in wherever it made sense, but she wasn't being used really in any other books at the time. Ditto, I suppose, the early days of Claremont's Wolverine in which Jessica Drew (also a bit shunted off to the margins at the time) was essentially a co-star. This was all perhaps just part and parcel of Claremont liking to keep the characters he liked in circulation.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Skwirl posted:

Again, Genosha is worse than any real life genocide or terrorist act by a significant factor, and no one besides mutants even seemed to notice it. I understand that's largely just because of how comics work, but I also understand a later writer using that as gristle for a story.

wasn't Genosha caused by Chucks' mutant sister?

Not that that excuses any hypothetical inaction, but the constant mutant cries of "THEY TRIED TO KILL US!" start to look a little shakey when you look at how many mutant problems are caused by either mutants (several of which are now members of the Quiet council) or non-humans, whether those are aliens, "We're not actually mutants we're like Mutants 2.0", people with ambiguous mutant status (Hi Wanda!), sentient bacteria, etc

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

wasn't Genosha caused by Chucks' mutant sister?

Not that that excuses any hypothetical inaction, but the constant mutant cries of "THEY TRIED TO KILL US!" start to look a little shakey when you look at how many mutant problems are caused by either mutants (several of which are now members of the Quiet council) or non-humans, whether those are aliens, "We're not actually mutants we're like Mutants 2.0", people with ambiguous mutant status (Hi Wanda!), sentient bacteria, etc

Not his actual sister, not a mutant, and only happened because she got access to the Wild Sentinel tech that humans had designed for just such an eventuality.

All they had to do was not build robots for the express purpose of exterminating mutants and Genosha wouldn't have happened.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
All Magneto had to do was not threaten to exterminate humanity in order to blackmail the United Nations into giving him Genosha as a sovereign mutant nation, and then all he had to do once he had his sovereign mutant nation was not build an army, kidnap Xavier and crucify him as part of his plan to exterminate humanity with the mutant army he gathered, and then Wolverine wouldn't have gutted him leaving the country destabilized and leaderless.

And then all anyone had to do was really hope that Xavier's powers in the womb wouldn't secretly give physical form to his anti-self that despite taking physical form inside the womb next to Xavier and possessing the same mutant powers as Xavier is neither his sister nor a mutant, and with any luck the Sentinels built by the Trasks while bankrolled by the Hellfire Club wouldn't achieve self-awareness, and be directed at Genosha when Cassandra Nova uses her not-mutant mutant powers to control a human into putting her into control of the Wild Sentinals, and if Magneto hadn't been infected by an immortal virus he wouldn't have tried to exterminate humanity for a third time, at which point

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 20, 2021

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

All Magneto had to do was not threaten to exterminate humanity in order to blackmail the United Nations into giving him Genosha as a sovereign mutant nation, and then all he had to do once he had his sovereign mutant nation was not build an army, kidnap Xavier and crucify him as part of his plan to exterminate humanity with the mutant army he gathered, and then Wolverine wouldn't have gutted him leaving the country destabilized and leaderless.

And then all anyone had to do was really hope that Xavier's powers in the womb wouldn't secretly give physical form to his anti-self that despite taking physical form inside the womb next to Xavier and possessing the same mutant powers as Xavier is neither his sister nor a mutant, and with any luck the Sentinels built by the Trasks while bankrolled by the Hellfire Club wouldn't achieve self-awareness, and be directed at Genosha when Cassandra Nova uses her not-mutant mutant powers to control a human into putting her into control of the Wild Sentinals, and if Magneto hadn't been infected by an immortal virus he wouldn't have tried to exterminate humanity for a third time, at which point

"This long chain of events is the same as just not building genocide bots."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
These are all comic things I don’t like to think about.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

If I could erase any X-Men story from history, it would be Eve of Destruction, the final stabbing into the Caesar-esque death of Magneto's character.

I will admit that Magneto himself is still a mutant supremacist, but even his actions and words in the Krakoa era do not correlate to that belief system and he has been appropriately used as the vocal cudgel of the island.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Adder Moray posted:

"This long chain of events is the same as just not building genocide bots."
Is this a matter of who started the genocide attempts? Magneto was trying to steal nuclear weapons to threaten humanity into giving him a sovereign nation whereupon he could build an army to eradicate humanity before the first Sentinel was built.

I feel like a lot of these hot takes pick and choose things to get outraged about, which is once again why I call upon Speedball to curbstomp every single one of the New Mutants for not ONCE reaching out to check in on him during his Penance phase.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Man I fuckin' love comic books you guys

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Is this a matter of who started the genocide attempts?

It's a matter of don't build loving robots for the express purpose of genocide.

Unrelated to this, y'all noticed that Wanda's estimated time of death was about 21 minutes before she arrived to have her conversation with Magneto?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

Is this a matter of who started the genocide attempts? Magneto was trying to steal nuclear weapons to threaten humanity into giving him a sovereign nation whereupon he could build an army to eradicate humanity before the first Sentinel was built.

And there's decades of stories with him after that covering the ramifications of his actions. Show me two stories (Kelly's is the obvious one,though it's garbage and requires his wife to be fridged) where humanity reflects on their pro-genocide agenda?

I know I harp on this but the people who are cherry picking were the writers who decided those Magneto stories didn't count...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like to think about the Morrison run almost every single day

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

I like to think about the Morrison run almost every single day

There's a bad in canon explanation for Magneto in that, at least. There's no excuse for Eve of Destruction.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Adder Moray posted:

It's a matter of don't build loving robots for the express purpose of genocide.
Sentinels weren't built for the express purpose of genocide until pretty deep in the cycle of genocidal threatenings, the original Sentinels were designed to protect humanity from you know, Magneto and other mutants threatening to genocide humanity. Then their AI decided they knew how to protect humanity better, by taking over the world. It was several cycles of this before they were Sentinel Organisms Designed Only for Killing. But again, if you boil it down far enough, humans were building loving robots for the express purpose of genocide, and Magneto kept trying to build asteroids and nuke all of humanity from orbit. And 99.99% of the world didn't say poo poo about either of these things, like cowards.

danbanana posted:

And there's decades of stories with him after that covering the ramifications of his actions. Show me two stories (Kelly's is the obvious one,though it's garbage and requires his wife to be fridged) where humanity reflects on their pro-genocide agenda?

I know I harp on this but the people who are cherry picking were the writers who decided those Magneto stories didn't count...
Magneto is a much more popular character who many writers have worked hard to redeem; the Trask and Lang families are generally forgettable enough that some people (including writers) get fuzzy about which ones are which, and no one is terribly interested in redeeming them. None of this should change the fact that they're all people who love genocide and their respective species bear responsibility for allowing them to make these attempts time and again.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Adder Moray posted:

Unrelated to this, y'all noticed that Wanda's estimated time of death was about 21 minutes before she arrived to have her conversation with Magneto?

... huh, I had to go back and recheck the times but that's a pretty good catch.

in SWORD it claims it's 3:17am when they meet and Trial of Magneto claims the time of death is 2:56am. I guess the Mystique theories just got a big point in their favor. :v:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

Magneto is a much more popular character who many writers have worked hard to redeem; the Trask and Lang families are generally forgettable enough that some people (including writers) get fuzzy about which ones are which, and no one is terribly interested in redeeming them. None of this should change the fact that they're all people who love genocide and their respective species bear responsibility for allowing them to make these attempts time and again.

"No one wants to put in the time to redeem the Trasks like literally was done with Magneto" is not the argument you think it is.

There's almost 60 years of X-Men stories literally based on mutants as oppressed peoples and it is frankly insane that the interpretation of that would ever be "But what about the humans!"

Magneto doesn't need to be right for one to understand the actions taken by someone like him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

danbanana posted:

"No one wants to put in the time to redeem the Trasks like literally was done with Magneto" is not the argument you think it is.

There's almost 60 years of X-Men stories literally based on mutants as oppressed peoples and it is frankly insane that the interpretation of that would ever be "But what about the humans!"

Magneto doesn't need to be right for one to understand the actions taken by someone like him.
There's way less than sixty years of them, the whole "mutants as oppressed peoples" thing didn't really get touched on at all pre-Claremont, and only came to the forefront a fair bit into the Claremont run. I realize this is picking nits, but what is not in this conversation, outside of sweeping generalizations?

I think there's been a good number of stories about human characters examining their own mutant prejudices, I just don't think they were particularly focused on Larry Trask or anyone directly involved with the creation of the Sentinels. There have been very few stories written about the philosophical underpinnings of Unus the Untouchable or Wildside or Forearm or Phantasia or Peepers, who at one point or another bought into Human Genocide. Because like Larry Trask, they're not very popular characters. Magneto has had a LOT of stories (good and bad) focused on him, because he's a popular character. I don't think this has anything to do with how lovely we're supposed to think any of these characters are or how unexamined and facile their inner lives are compared to Magneto. Magneto is a more interesting character in no small part because of the focus placed on him, but like deciding that I dunno, Spider-Man and all of his friends are low-key racist genocide apologists because Magneto and/or the Sentinel program doesn't come up very often in the thousands of Spider-Man comics where these characters go about their lives without discussing Magneto is wild.

You can understand character's actions/motivations without endorsing them, and especially not without fist pumping and hoping they succeed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

in SWORD it claims it's 3:17am when they meet and Trial of Magneto claims the time of death is 2:56am. I guess the Mystique theories just got a big point in their favor. :v:

Oh that is a pretty good catch. Wanda also wasn't wearing a flower when she showed up.

Mystique and Exodus seem pretty likely to have teamed up for this.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 20, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe it's just me but it sounds like the self proclaimed leaders of mutantdom kinda lick recently used butthole

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Way of X was interesting but the first issue promised a lot that it just couldnt deliver. I was ready for a comic all about just building a new society from scratch. I mean we got a tiny bit of that... :|

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Skwirl posted:

Again, Genosha is worse than any real life genocide or terrorist act by a significant factor, and no one besides mutants even seemed to notice it. I understand that's largely just because of how comics work, but I also understand a later writer using that as gristle for a story.

Conversely, Genosha was destroyed by Cassandra Nova. Which is.....complicated. And the Legacy Virus was a mutant. And, until retcons, M-Day was a mutant. Sure there's a lot of racist humans that have individually hurt mutants, but the greatest threat to mutants has always been other mutants and their issues.

And I'm going to put on my big boy guessing hat and say that mutants are going to gently caress up this run too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Way of X was interesting but the first issue promised a lot that it just couldnt deliver. I was ready for a comic all about just building a new society from scratch. I mean we got a tiny bit of that... :|

hey, a uniting principle and culture for krakoa was established in way of x (by onslaught)

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Gologle posted:

Man I fuckin' love comic books you guys

Hell, same.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TBF Blade does resent that no one else cares about the vampire menace.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

omnibobb posted:

Hell, same.

Comics!!! YEeeeeeeeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sPDziuO84

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Endless Mike posted:

TBF Blade does resent that no one else cares about the vampire menace.

And who’s also clearing out vampires? Wolverine. X-Men 1, Avengers 0

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Quotey posted:

And who’s also clearing out vampires? Wolverine. X-Men 1, Avengers 0

Blade's on the Avengers now and they had a big vampire arc.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Skwirl posted:

Blade's on the Avengers now and they had a big vampire arc.

He's the sheriff of vampires.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In terms of killing vampires in the 616 I think MI:13 has the lead though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

In terms of killing vampires in the 616 I think MI:13 has the lead though.

Didn’t doctor strange kill them all at one point?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn’t doctor strange kill them all at one point?

Well, it didn't stick obviously.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Well, it didn't stick obviously.

Still counts! I mean otherwise you'd have to let Cassandra Nova off the hook for Genosha since they're bringing back dead Genoshans every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
My favorite addition to greater Marvel Lore from the new status quo is that vampires are the result of real vampires kicking the assholes out.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

And y'all doubted me when I pointed out she wasn't wearing a flower!

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 20, 2021