Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
422lb patient covid+ and didn't get the vaccine cuz he "wasn't sold on it just yet"

snipe tax

Lovelyn fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salient
Jan 2, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm literal loving hill garbage high school drop-out trash, a piece of utter poo poo waste that somehow got a computer job and is now economically as secure as anyone like me can be. If I, a person who had two shirts for fifth grade and dried them over a radiator, can make it, it is incumbent on me to share how I made it with everyone here. No one should left to suffer and if I can help other people to get do-nothing mobster computer jobs, by god, I'm going to do it.

do you have any recommendations for where to start with clinical IT? i'm coming to terms with needing an exit from working directly in the plague pits

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

I love the whole WA DOH website so much since it just waves the OMG WE ARE SO VACCINATED bit at the top and then... dum dum dum

im the sudden sharp downturn predicted for absolutely no reason at all whatsoever

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Bullfrog posted:

food manufacturing reportback: so, I don't know exactly where the product goes (midwest area) but let's just say, if you need bread, you're probably gonna be a-okay. Judging by the insane amounts of bread coming down the line the past 3 weeks. Any shortages for grains are gonna be shipping or trucking related, I'm guessing. No supply issues detected.

inbreadible

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
im a very competent computer touching thing but i have terrible panic attacks, cant talk to people, dont understand social cues, hate "marketing" and cant brag about myself

the tech industry's multi day long 8 hour whiteboard "interviews" should honestly be a crime against humanity

empty whippet box posted:

im the sudden sharp downturn predicted for absolutely no reason at all whatsoever

less infectable hosts or dead hosts

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Business Gorillas posted:

there's a lot misery in the thread rn so i just want to share something:

i've been working with a goon and his wife to help them get JOBS! and his wife was apparently having a really hard time at her now former job. in the same day she quit because she couldn't take it anymore, she got a call from my company and they're going to have a further chat

i'm still a little high rn but to the goon out there i've been working with, i wanted to give you a special shoutout amidst the brainworms because you made my night :unsmith:

do what good you can and how you can, goons. we're all gonna need it

if this is who I think it is then that's awesome and I hope it works out for them, they deserve some good stuff to happen
you're good people primate

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

jetz0r posted:

isn't this expected? the vaccines were never sterilizing immunity, and getting boosters never made that claim. the idea is that across millions of potential infections, vaccines reduce the number and severity of those potential infections.

It's your last line of defense, that you should hope to never test. Not being exposed is your first line of defense, followed by wearing a mask to prevent covid particles from entering your body. If both those fail, then your body gets to roll on the covid immune response chart, and you want as many bonus as you can on that. Because if you get unlucky, you die or get your life ruined. You max your titers to give you the best chance if that happens. Hopefully if you pop poz, the symptoms will be minor. But there's always the chance of getting a horrible outcome.

Trust your respirator, don't test your vaccine.

on september 20th the CDC is going to announce that anyone getting a third shot booster can remove their mask, will get a $2000 applebees gift card, and have free two for one admission to disney where the people they bring in also don't need to wear masks regardless of their vaccination status

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

:allears:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Lovelyn posted:

422lb patient covid+ and didn't get the vaccine cuz he "wasn't sold on it just yet"

snipe tax

holding out for the free dozen of donuts and $1000 gift cards.. i feel ya bro

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Apraxin posted:

wait, the article seems to be saying it's up from 'only' 20% of the total being breakthroughs in June. was LA an extreme outlier back then? that feels like it was back in the '0.00001% of cases are breakthroughs! live your life!' times.

Unlike the feds, California (and a dozen other states) kept track of breakthrough infections this whole time

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

salient posted:

do you have any recommendations for where to start with clinical IT? i'm coming to terms with needing an exit from working directly in the plague pits

for the big tech companies that everyone has heard of it is literally either graduate from one of the dozen or so of schools they recruit from (stanford, berkley, CMU, etc.) or just know some low level person who gives HR a recommendation. that will get someone to look at a resume and probably do a phone screen. beyond that it's all about how well you perform under pressure in a phone and whiteboard interviw process for coding tricks and skills--read a book like Cracking the Coding Interview and really study and learn the problems (be warned it quickly turns into CS degree level stuff, but it can be learned by anyone)

so really, start finding a connection to get you a recommendation for a phone screen somewhere. going through a bootcamp might help jumpstart this process. reaching out to friends who work at or around those companies might help too.

i don't know anyone in those kind of companies that just submitted a resume on their website and got recruiters or HR calling back and talking to them unfortunately. like you'd have to be known and a Big Deal in tech for that to happen

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
when you say clinical IT do you mean like hospital helpdesk or do you mean working for epic or some prescription startup?

mod sassinator posted:

for the big tech companies that everyone has heard of it is literally either graduate from one of the dozen or so of schools they recruit from (stanford, berkley, CMU, etc.) or just know some low level person who gives HR a recommendation. that will get someone to look at a resume and probably do a phone screen. beyond that it's all about how well you perform under pressure in a phone and whiteboard interviw process for coding tricks and skills--read a book like Cracking the Coding Interview and really study and learn the problems (be warned it quickly turns into CS degree level stuff, but it can be learned by anyone)

so really, start finding a connection to get you a recommendation for a phone screen somewhere. going through a bootcamp might help jumpstart this process. reaching out to friends who work at or around those companies might help too.

i don't know anyone in those kind of companies that just submitted a resume on their website and got HR calling back and talking to them unfortunately. like you'd have to be known and a Big Deal in tech for that to happen

for big tech another option is non-h1b contract agency and then hopefully your team likes you enough to recommend you

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lovelyn posted:

Lenin Stimpy posted:

this is the best poo poo keep posting

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lovelyn posted:

Have you noticed any noteworthy trends with breakthrough hospitalizations? (caught the virus before fully vaccinated, specific brand of vaccine, patient old as dirt, patient comorbidities, etc.)?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

salient posted:

If you've got a clinical area of expertise, specialize in that and learn coding / IT skills that support it.

Dumb and vague as gently caress, but I get paid because I understand Medicaid/Medicare CMS credentialing first and writing code that pulls metrics to that effect second.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

islands are immune to covid. you could have every covid positive person on the planet in NZ and it would simply not transmit. shame the world has been denied this method.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

To be fair cspam goons have said the island thing about 100 times in this thread too

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

the sudden sharp downturn is with us every day, our stalwart companion through thick and thin

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Mr. Pizza posted:

its that pfizer trash juice

moderna supremacy

As a pfizer juice slut, this post hurts my pfeelings

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

islands are immune to covid. you could have every covid positive person on the planet in NZ and it would simply not transmit. shame the world has been denied this method.

‘former penile colony’ is pretty funny too
very subtle way to call kiwis dicks

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
if we make the entire world a cafeteria of some sort or indoor dining enabled restaurant then covid is no longer allowed to legally violate this

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Gonna need a Wave 4 $2K check Mr. Biden.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
for any tech field too look for local (most are virtual now) meetups and user groups. like for data analysis there are R, python, datascience, etc. meetups in the major tech cities. those things are a goldmine for networking and finding out what companies are hiring entry level positions, etc. it's a good way to cut through all the layers of BS and meet actual hiring managers / decision makers. just go and start absorbing info even if you aren't in the field or feel very confident yet--there is nothing to lose and only connections and people to meet.

edit: I've seen some even do tech hiring practice sessions, which are a really cool and good thing to do since hiring in the industry is stressful and annoying for everyone.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 20, 2021

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Wonder if they'll let you cross the streams and jump from phizzer to moderna with the official 8 month boosters.

Probably not.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPablo posted:

$2000/month UBI if you opt into the "you get vaxed now, and you get vaxed whenever the gently caress we tell you to" program

salient
Jan 2, 2021

mod sassinator posted:

thank you!

Biowarfare posted:

when you say clinical IT do you mean like hospital helpdesk or do you mean working for epic or some prescription startup?
definitely leaning more towards hospital help desk. my hospital system did recently transition to oracle, that might be a good place for me to start

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you've got a clinical area of expertise, specialize in that and learn coding / IT skills that support it.
makes sense, ty!! i'm going to look into previous cardiology IT position listings and the software they maintain

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Volcott posted:

Wonder if they'll let you cross the streams and jump from phizzer to moderna with the official 8 month boosters.

Probably not.

official guidance is no

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

im this except on every single covid graph that has ever been made

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Every time the government fucks the response we get another check and it goes up $600 each time

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Lovelyn posted:

Patient is in his 60s, dying of covid and a long litany of pre-existing conditions, barely hanging on while on BiPAP maxed out. He isn't maintaining his sats so it's a question of intubation vs comfort measures.

We call his daughter to make the decision and she asks if she can see him, I tell her it's against policy because of covid. She states she can't make a life or death decision without looking at him, that she tried the ipad but because of the BiPAP she couldn't really get a sense for him. To be perfectly honest, if it were my mom, I'd want to see her before making that decision (idk that I'd ask for it during a pandemic, but I'd want it).

We get approval for her for one hour and when I call to tell her, she asks if her husband can come inside too.

Me: No, even letting you in is an exception.

Daughter: Don't they care that he's dying?

Me: ...it's not that they don't care, it's that he's got a contagious disease in the middle of a pandem-

Daughter: WE'VE ALREADY HAD IT! EVERYONE IN OUR HOUSEHOLD HAS ALREADY HAD IT!

Me: But reinfections are a thi-

Daughter: okaythankyoubye *click*

None of them were vaccinated

:theroni:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Another 20% of those hospitalized cases were asymptomatic. They're testing everybody who comes in. It's literally the with covid vs of covid argument, but everybody has covid.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

actual outdoor transmission is incredibly rare

i thought it was common enough? or rather the risks outweighed the inconvenience of outdoor masking

my reasoning is:

crepeface posted:

maybe if you're properly distancing and minimizing outdoor time, but you gotta cover the sloppiest people and nsw has already shown there's too many people willing to sit out on the beach all day.

at common indoor/outdoor entry points, you'd get a bunch of people milling around to mask up (probably improperly) or not bother for "popping in quickly."

you also get a handy identifier for the lovely people who are more likely to be breaking other rules.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
people will be panting and packing 100% of a hiking trail and call it no transmission outdoors lol

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

To be fair cspam goons have said the island thing about 100 times in this thread too

here it was because of that pandemic game where Madagascar shut down travel and made you lose the game

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

They are probably predicting given Delta peaked after a month in UK and India but 1) UK is gradually climbing back and 2) America willingly removed restrictions/masks and opened schools so lmao it's not going anywhere

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Biowarfare posted:

I have a friend who's worked for Epic for a really long loving time. I think his brain has been permanently damaged by MUMPS.

Edit: Oh, and to answer the computer touching question, tech is the wild west right now. There are certs that can help you get your foot in the door (depending on what you're looking for), but what's way more important is who and what you know.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 20, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

I have a friend who's worked for Epic for a really long loving time. I think his brain has been permanently damaged by MUMPS.

Edit: Oh, and to answer the computer touching question, tech is the wild west right now. There are certs that can help you get your foot in the door (depending on what you're looking for), but what's way more important is who and what you know.

i'm so sorry did he not get the mmr vaccine?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Business Gorillas posted:

Are YOU a C-SPAMMER who has had their job hosed by COVID or is being forced to go back to a plague pit so your boss can see your smile?
Do YOU or someone you know have a knot in their stomach because they have to roll the dice with death every day for a pitiful paycheck?
Do YOU have a stable internet connection for 40 hours a week and are able to read words, talk without throwing up, and not be a total shithead on the phone?
Do YOU live in Ohio, Delaware, Utah Arizona, or Illinois?

GOOD NEWS! WE'RE HIRING!

Hi! My name is Business Gorillas and I want to do BUSINESS with YOU!!! My company is currently hiring for phone jockeys in a couple different departments. These are entry-level customer service positions with the following benefits:

- :siren: COMPLETELY WORK FROM HOME, WE'LL EVEN MAIL YOU A COMPUTER :siren:
- $16.00/hour starting and guaranteed full time
- A signing bonus of up to $2,000 if you stay for one year.
- Full benefits including health insurance, dental, vision, ~20 days of PTO, no-excuse sick time, and education assistance totaling a maximum of $10,000 a year.

I'm not going to lie, the jobs I have are dull and unrewarding, but I bet your current job is too! Tell those petty tyrants you debase yourself for tips to or that retail manager who keeps hitting on the 17 year olds to work with to :supaburn:GO TO HELL:supaburn: and join a company that won't ask you to risk your lungs for your pay. Hell, as long as you're not awful, there's plenty of room for promotions as soon as there's spots available!

:smith: "All I have on my resume is that I was a worker at the Dick Sucking Factory for 3 years and a Grease Trap at McDonald's..." :smith:
I DON'T CARE. I'm not here to make commissions or get money for what I'm doing, I'm here to keep you alive. NOBODY SHOULD HAVE TO RISK THEIR LIFE FOR A PAYCHECK, AND THAT INCLUDES YOU. Send me a DM and we'll work on your resume! I'm a bullshit artist by trade, so let me help YOU get a job where you can dodge Delta.

:smith: "I'm not in one of those states you talked about..." :smith:
SEND ME A DM ANYWAYS! If I can't find you a job, I'm working with other goons that also have positions at their own companies. If they're a good fit, I'll connect you two!

:smith: "I want a WFH job, but I have skills and $16.00 doesn't work for me..." :smith:
STILL TALK TO ME! The goons I'm working with have other jobs available. Hell, if I think you're overqualified for my jobs, I'll connect you to them anyways! I want you to make as much money for as little work as possible!

WE LOSE ENOUGH OF OUR LIVES TO OUR WORK, GOON. THERE'S NO REASON TO LOSE YOUR LIFE BECAUSE OF IT.

Inquire Within or send me an email at wfhjobsforgoons at gmail dot com

Legitimate question, do I need to stop smoking/do you drug test? Cause cannabis has been keeping my depression at bay.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Volcott posted:

Probably not.

Any idea yet if that's safe? I don't trust the CDC's conservatism on the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Yossarian-22 posted:

Any idea yet if that's safe? I don't trust the CDC's conservatism on the issue

other countries have already done the studies and found it to be safe

the CDC won’t give it the green light until they do another 6 month study

(although they say it’s ok to mix if there’s an emergency like if all the Pfizer accidentally got flushed down a toilet and there was only Moderna left at the clinic you were at)