Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Glen or Glenda might be a decent nomination. Ed Wood seems to have made the film out of love, but it was so incompetently done.

Ed Wood in a nutshell, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
the band Explosions in the Sky had an unfortunate 9/11 connection

quote:

They garnered a small amount of media attention with their second album, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever, due to rumors linking it to the September 11, 2001 attacks. The band denied any connection in interviews. The album art shows an airplane with the caption "This plane will crash tomorrow." There were false reports that the last track was called "This Plane Will Crash Tomorrow" and that the album was released on September 10, 2001;[6][7] the concept had actually originated in 2000, and the album was officially released on September 4, 2001. Bassist Michael James was detained in an airport as a threat to security, and had to explain why his guitar contained the words "this plane will crash tomorrow".[2]

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Glen or Glenda might be a decent nomination. Ed Wood seems to have made the film out of love, but it was so incompetently done.

i watched a pretty good video about this semi-recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYywKdUksD0

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

the band Explosions in the Sky had an unfortunate 9/11 connection

they weren't trying to blow anyone up, they were just trying to bore everyone to death

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Walt Disney legitimately believed that Song of the South would be this good and noble film that would bridge the gap over racial tensions in the post-war era. He, of course, fired their Black screenwriting consultant because he kept criticizing it, and refused to work with the NAACP when they expressed an interest, but he also campaigned hard for James Baskett (Uncle Remus) to be the first Black man nominated for an Oscar. The Academy gave him an honorary award, because it was 1948 and there was no way in hell they were going to let a Black man be nominated for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor. So it was the kind of egocentric white benevolence where Walt Disney was setting out to fix racism himself, whether or not black people had anything to say about how he was doing it, but it was a kind of good intent.

What's interesting is that, in the messy production of the film and the fact that even Disney could see that the white guy they hired to write it with an "authentic Southern voice" was way too racist, they pulled in a second screenwriter, Maurice Rapf, a Jewish writer who'd be blacklisted the very next year for being a member of the Communist party. He joined on the grounds that, because the film had so many live action parts, he was actually able to do meaningful rewrites, and he sought to recast the film into a series of metaphors for anti-slavery resistance.

Ultimately, however, the film that they made was Song of the South, so...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I dimly recall seeing 'Song of the South' in theaters, and while I'm old I'm not that old. I had to go look up and I guess they re-released it every 5 to 10 years. I would have seen it in 1980 and all I remember is the dumbass kid running across the bull's pen wearing a red coat.

Disney last released 'Song of the South' in 1986, which is after they started production on 'The Little Mermaid'. So a weird crisscross of old Disney and new. Going down the Wikipedia briar patch, the Splash Mountain ride started construction in 1987 so it sounds like Disney wanted to keep making SotS a thing and it was more their new animation golden age (and all the associated IP) that kept it from being re-released or re-issued.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What's up with song of the south? Is it one of those things where a former slave pines for the good old days?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

What's up with song of the south? Is it one of those things where a former slave pines for the good old days?

It's a warm and happy take on the Old South where everyone is content with their place in the Southern caste system. I don't recall it being deliberately racist in its intent, but like most similar media it's loved by racists (i.e. all of my uncles and aunts). It'd be long forgotten about except it's Disney and has a few catchy tunes.

But like 'Gone with the Wind' it also had good performances by African-American actors who weren't getting starring roles anywhere else, so excising it from cultural history is a bit complex.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The thing about Song of the South is that Disney basically has absolutely zero incentive to ever re-release it at this point. They own basically infinite other things to make money off of. They would get all the wrong kinds of attention if they did it now -- attention that other companies might be willing to lean into and talk about starting a dialog or whatever, but not Disney. In a way, the perfect opportunity would've been to just quietly have it as part of D+ at launch, but they probably rightly judged that it wasn't worth risking the publicity of the launch. Maybe they could still get away with quietly dumping it there some day and hoping nobody notices, but it's hard to do anything like that quietly these days.

Maybe they'll re-release it when they finally release a full-on gay movie to play both sides. Although China won't take either one.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
There's also the thing that SotS is boring as gently caress so even without the racist crap it's a mind-numbingly dull sit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wow somebody isn’t having a zippity doo dah day

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sir Lemming posted:

Maybe they'll re-release it when they finally release a full-on gay movie to play both sides. Although China won't take either one.

I would accept a released Song of the South as the price to pay to see what Disney claims a 'full-on gay movie' is. They call it a victory for gay rights when a male character looks at a guy, mentions a male partner off-hand, or is based on David Bowie.

Their idea of a 'gay movie' is going to be a completely milquetoast family drama with a heterosexual couple and their son that might want to wear makeup once, and they'll treat it like Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I would accept a released Song of the South as the price to pay to see what Disney claims a 'full-on gay movie' is. They call it a victory for gay rights when a male character looks at a guy, mentions a male partner off-hand, or is based on David Bowie.

Their idea of a 'gay movie' is going to be a completely milquetoast family drama with a heterosexual couple and their son that might want to wear makeup once, and they'll treat it like Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

Don’t forget star wars people doing a kiss when emperor palpatine is killed again and they hear it over the radio.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
BL shows are huge in China right now, and while they are censored, they're still gayer than anything you'll see in a Disney movie lmao

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Don’t forget star wars people doing a kiss when emperor palpatine is killed again and they hear it over the radio.

That scene was so loving bad*.

The emperor had just been blown up again, the heroes had all returned to base in their own ships and were doing the "running towards each other from opposite ends for a big victory hug" and they're showing all the meaningless background people hug. There's this cut away which lasts maybe two seconds at most of two women who hug and kiss, then it immediately cuts back to the heroes.

The whole thing was designed so it could be neatly excised from releases in lovely homophobic countries without affecting anything at all.

* Just like the rest of the movie.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
The new Disney movie, Luca, is about a homosexual couple. But it’s only heavily implied through metaphor and never explicitly said, so as to not ostracize homophobic viewers and families.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

oldpainless posted:

Wow somebody isn’t having a zippity doo dah day

More like ol'-Mr.-Bluebird-on-my-shoulder-less.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For all that is wrong with it, anime's been more implicitly and explicitly gay for decades to a degree that's frankly embarrassing when people try to talk up 'representation' in big name Disney products. There's a reason there's so many queer people big into anime.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For all that is wrong with it, anime's been more implicitly and explicitly gay for decades to a degree that's frankly embarrassing when people try to talk up 'representation' in big name Disney products. There's a reason there's so many queer people big into anime.

Yeah but anime is gross.

Unless it's popular mmo Final Fantasy XIV which I hear has a very generous free trial.

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Cleretic posted:

At least the tv-side is doing better. There's a show running (well, currently on mid-season hiatus) on Disney Channel and D+ where the main character is a bisexual girl in a lesbian relationship and there's no attempt to hide it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I wholeheartedly recommend reading the 10* reviews on IMDB if you want some powerful boomer energy

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Unless it's popular mmo Final Fantasy XIV which I hear has a very generous free trial.

It's critically acclaimed! :eng101:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Precambrian posted:

Walt Disney legitimately believed that Song of the South would be this good and noble film that would bridge the gap over racial tensions in the post-war era. He, of course, fired their Black screenwriting consultant because he kept criticizing it, and refused to work with the NAACP when they expressed an interest, but he also campaigned hard for James Baskett (Uncle Remus) to be the first Black man nominated for an Oscar. The Academy gave him an honorary award, because it was 1948 and there was no way in hell they were going to let a Black man be nominated for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor.

On a similar note since this needs to be brought up whenever the Oscar's are concerned. Hattie McDaniel famously won Best Supporting Actress nine years earlier for Gone becoming the first black person to win. And learned she won in the radio 15 minutes later because black people weren't allowed to attend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the_steve posted:

It's critically acclaimed! :eng101:

Didn't it just surpass WoW for players?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't it just surpass WoW for players?

Not sure. I know that WoW lost a ton of players between people being pissed at their lovely writing and their even shittier sexual abuse allegations that have come to light, and I know 14 has had a massive influx of new players including a lot of WoW refugees, but I dunno if the scale has actually changed sides.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

On a similar note since this needs to be brought up whenever the Oscar's are concerned. Hattie McDaniel famously won Best Supporting Actress nine years earlier for Gone becoming the first black person to win. And learned she won in the radio 15 minutes later because black people weren't allowed to attend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7t4pTNZshA

She was there, and gave an acceptance speech?

She did have to sit at a separate table at the back of the banquet hall, and wasn't allowed entrance into the club where the official afterparty was held, maybe you're thinking of that?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
She wasn’t able to attend the premiere of the movie in Atlanta due to segregation laws at the time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sorry didn't know how wrong I was about it, probably the premiere, sitting at the back of the hall and the story getting told and retold distorted it a bit on my memory.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's a warm and happy take on the Old South where everyone is content with their place in the Southern caste system. I don't recall it being deliberately racist in its intent, but like most similar media it's loved by racists (i.e. all of my uncles and aunts). It'd be long forgotten about except it's Disney and has a few catchy tunes.

But like 'Gone with the Wind' it also had good performances by African-American actors who weren't getting starring roles anywhere else, so excising it from cultural history is a bit complex.

It was, surprisingly, released on DVD. You can, as of a few years ago, buy it in the gift shop at a Presidential Library.

It's part of an educational experience.

If you are ever in the vicinity, be aware that there are occasional traffic jams of hour+ duration on Beach Boulevard, and you have to pay for admission to the museum before you can use the restroom.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Torquemada posted:

I wholeheartedly recommend reading the 10* reviews on IMDB if you want some powerful boomer energy

Aside from everything else, Who Framed Roger Rabbit owns so this guy can get bent

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When they say they considered joining “bussing protests” I assume it’s a Freudian slip telling us that they were one of these people:

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Torquemada posted:

"Seriously considered joining the busing protests" is an amazing line.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

When they say they considered joining “bussing protests” I assume it’s a Freudian slip telling us that they were one of these people:

They actually meant a bussin protest.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I thought that initially, but I think he's referring to the Freedom Riders.

Which is a bunch of false bravado crap as the Freedom Riders were beaten and bombed a lot. No way this guy would have had the guts to do it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or the bus boycott, which probably entailed the line of thought 'I should refuse to ride the bus and walk to where I'm going...but it's pretty hot today and I don't want to show up late and all sweaty. Definitely next week though, when it's a little cooler and I can leaver earlier.'

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The bussing protests I think are when they were integrating schools in the 70's right? Or am I misunderstanding?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Captain Monkey posted:

The bussing protests I think are when they were integrating schools in the 70's right? Or am I misunderstanding?

There were protests against bussing, but they presumably mean the freedom riders, as the bussing opposition was decidedly racist in nature.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Haha I think I have a copy of that album (with the revised cover art, unfortunately) around here somewhere. As an enormous DT nerd in high school (and through to this day), shame on me for missing Dream Theater chat.

I ought to put on Octavarium. That album is still really good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

Haha I think I have a copy of that album (with the revised cover art, unfortunately) around here somewhere. As an enormous DT nerd in high school (and through to this day), shame on me for missing Dream Theater chat.

I ought to put on Octavarium. That album is still really good.

I’m not even into dream theater and Octavarium was a go-to cardio album for ages for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I was just thinking about that album the other day, probably after DT came up earlier

Sailing on the seven seize the day tripper diem's ready
Jack the ripper Owens Wilson Phillips and my supper's ready
Lucy in the sky with diamond Dave's not here I come to save the
Day for nightmare cinema show me the way to get back home again