Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Guavanaut posted:

Welcome to the Hotel Andalusia.

Andalucia is kind of .. other planet. Virulent people. Sometimes creative people or funny or clever, or the exact oposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Randallteal posted:

Amazing Maps will also sell you several flavors of framed irredentist maps.

According to their website they are based in Sofia, Bulgaria.

love all of these states which absolutely have existed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tei posted:

Andalucia is kind of .. other planet. Virulent people. Sometimes creative people or funny or clever, or the exact oposite.
But if Aragon is now in Oregon, then western Andalusia becomes Northern California, which means that the small mountain places in Andalusia where people never stay are mapped to the places in California where people never leave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydym4wh9Qo
(e.g. Montejaque would be Fresno)

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
i really despise that specific art deco/sid meier's civilization v font in this context

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

But if Aragon is now in Oregon, then western Andalusia becomes Northern California, which means that the small mountain places in Andalusia where people never stay are mapped to the places in California where people never leave

Hotels?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vasukhani posted:

love all of these states which absolutely have existed

I don't think the irredentist Bulgaria is wildly off from the First Bulgarian Empire before Basil II (hello Byzantine) but lol, even the english wiki page map has a disclaimer, the first time I've seen this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Bulgarian_Empire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Bulgarian_Empire

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

San Diego really was one of the greatest films ever made.

I chortled at this, and then was forced to explain both the map and the movie Casablanca to a coworker.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Where in the World Is San Diego?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jayforeman/status/1428272247970619395?s=19

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Eastern Ireland.

EDIT: Oh, is that Jay from map men? That's a fun channel.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A whole lot of places develop some kind of... I'll call it a "colloquial north," based on coastline or some other water feature. Montreal was the first place this was explicitly pointed out to me but I've noticed it a bunch of other places since.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The axes on which societies align themselves will often not match that of the planet itself.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also a lot of people fail to grasp it anyway.

eg: amount of Kingston people who can't fathom south, west, or east despite the massive lake and river defining the city's geography, or amount of NYC people who can't fathom cardinal directions despite two rivers, loving Manhattan, and the loving ocean, and being an island. It's literally called the loving East River!!

We lived in the world's most famous grid and you still have no idea which direction is which when you step out of our door?

No I'm not calling a former roomie stupid, I'm never, ever a dumbass bitter about their lack of basic directional knowledge

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

When you regularly work with the means to determine direction correctly, you rapidly find 18 or 19 out of 20 people orient their cardinal directions based on 90° increments to the nearest road, building or hedge.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

I’m Lake Butte

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

When you regularly work with the means to determine direction correctly, you rapidly find 18 or 19 out of 20 people orient their cardinal directions based on 90° increments to the nearest road, building or hedge.

I work by Eastern Long Street and Western Long Street despite knowing full well they river fucks everything up, basically.

It's close enough.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like Central Stockholm because the southern part of it is called Söder(South)malm, the northern part Nord (North)malm and the eastern part Öster(guess)malm. Makes orientation trivial of you know vaguely in what direction each district is.

And the old town is literally just called Old Town.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also a lot of people fail to grasp it anyway.

eg: amount of Kingston people who can't fathom south, west, or east despite the massive lake and river defining the city's geography, or amount of NYC people who can't fathom cardinal directions despite two rivers, loving Manhattan, and the loving ocean, and being an island. It's literally called the loving East River!!

We lived in the world's most famous grid and you still have no idea which direction is which when you step out of our door?

No I'm not calling a former roomie stupid, I'm never, ever a dumbass bitter about their lack of basic directional knowledge

Kingston ON?

At least in NYC's case I'd say it's because that old stereotype about being the center of the universe tends to ring truer than not and but I figured they'd be more outdoorsy in Kingston

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Where I live every direction is south :smugdog:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommonShore posted:

Where I live every direction is south :smugdog:

Dear Santa,

This year I'd like a million dollars and a PS5?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I’m Lake Butte

It's a Butte, Clarke

Old James fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 20, 2021

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What confused me as a kid were towns that had an 'Upper' and 'Lower' part, with the upper part on a lil hill or something. With the Upper part of town being lower on the map (further south) than the Lower part.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
It's easy to think of Japan as North-South but Japanese mostly refer to the southernmost parts of Honshu as "West" Japan.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

So which country has the weirdest shape you reckon? I’d say Croatia, with the real long and narrow ones like Chile, the Gambia and Norway on second place.

Fake edit: honorary mention goes to Namibia with the Caprivi strip

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Angola

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JosefStalinator posted:

It's easy to think of Japan as North-South but Japanese mostly refer to the southernmost parts of Honshu as "West" Japan.

It's easy to forget how skewed the Americas are too. Lima's an hour ahead of NYC time-wise.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like Central Stockholm because the southern part of it is called Söder(South)malm, the northern part Nord (North)malm and the eastern part Öster(guess)malm. Makes orientation trivial of you know vaguely in what direction each district is.

And the old town is literally just called Old Town.

And when Old Town was new, and the city was still just only that island, they called it City Island.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The projection throws this off a touch but I think this puts my ancestral village roughly 150 miles to the east of where I am now.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

System Metternich posted:

So which country has the weirdest shape you reckon? I’d say Croatia, with the real long and narrow ones like Chile, the Gambia and Norway on second place.

Fake edit: honorary mention goes to Namibia with the Caprivi strip

Palestine

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Palestine's borders are extremely normal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
France has a strange shape because its overseas territories are not legally distinct from the hexagon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan are all fairly normal except where they all meet up in the Fergana Valley:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Senegal is odd because it has The Gambia snuck in the middle of it.

The US is pretty strange due to having Alaska-- a huge territory far from its borders. Ditto Denmark, I suppose.

India isn't very pretty.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Greenland and Denmark is more like Puerto Rico and the US than Alaska as Greenland is a colony with limited self rule rather than an integral part of Denmark in the same way Alaska us to the USA.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or like Alaska before 1959.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Greenland is it's own thing, it's not part of the EU. Also, I think there's more issues of colonization than Alaska, given that the majority of the population is actually indigenous people, and they are running the country (at the mercy of Denmark) mostly.

As for borders, the completely straight lines in Africa are still weird as gently caress. I think Libya and Tunisia should get their poo poo together and turn them into some calligraphy that would be visible on the country outline.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The weird bit of Namibia that sticks out almost all the way to Zimbabwe and misses forming the world's only four-point border by a few meters is a lot of fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Vatican? San Marino?