Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is the quite good place in northumbria called shilbottle, which is mostly notable because people keep doing the needful with a bit of black electricians tape on the road sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/en_cohen/status/1425450199908974592?s=21

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Pastry of the Year posted:

I am 100% happy about the thread expanding to the names of places, because there are some absolutely bonkers ones.

Eighty-four is my favorite :)

edit:
Holy poo poo, this is "all-American" as a concept, distilled into a human :stare:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I am 100% happy about the thread expanding to the names of places, because there are some absolutely bonkers ones.

you've probably seen it before, but:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
A friend and their spouse just named their son Talon

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Re: place names, there's an Enough, Missouri and Truth Or Consequences--Colorado, I think?? Or Montana??

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Astrofig posted:

Re: place names, there's an Enough, Missouri and Truth Or Consequences--Colorado, I think?? Or Montana??

There's an Anaconda in Montana, as well as an Opportunity. I once saw them on the same road sign and demanded that we visit the Anaconda Opportunity, but I was rejected :smith:

Fun fact: Lucille Ball used to say she was from Anaconda, but she only lived there for a little while. Just like me, she's originally from upstate NY and then lived in Montana for a year. And we both have fake red hair. And we both (I assume) find Desi Arnaz super hot

e: Oh, also, speaking of amazing place names:

Punkeydoodles Corners is an unincorporated hamlet in southwestern Ontario, in Canada, known for its strange name[1] and frequent sign theft. It shares a boundary with something called "East Zorra." Zorra is "bitch" in Spanish.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Aug 12, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Astrofig posted:

That's New Mexico, it's near Elephant Butte reservoir.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh, in that case, I've got a doozy.

My hometown is a wee town in Scotland, that's called Linlithgow. Nothing materially much wrong with it, but I maintain that it is one of the worst places in the world you can come from.

The reason is this: sometimes when a person comes from a place, it's easy to know which place, e.g. a person from Paris is a Parisian, a person from Moscow is a Muscovite, a person from London is a Londoner.

However, sometimes the demonym is not so clear, e.g. people from Barbados are Bajans, a person from Stockholm can be called a Nollåtta. And people from Linlithgow fall in the latter camp. Because people from Linlithgow are called, and I am not joking here, Black Bitches.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

There's an Anaconda in Montana, as well as an Opportunity. I once saw them on the same road sign and demanded that we visit the Anaconda Opportunity, but I was rejected :smith:

Fun fact: Lucille Ball used to say she was from Anaconda, but she only lived there for a little while. Just like me, she's originally from upstate NY and then lived in Montana for a year. And we both have fake red hair. And we both (I assume) find Desi Arnaz super hot

e: Oh, also, speaking of amazing place names:

Punkeydoodles Corners is an unincorporated hamlet in southwestern Ontario, in Canada, known for its strange name[1] and frequent sign theft. It shares a boundary with something called "East Zorra." Zorra is "bitch" in Spanish.

"Bitch" or "vixen"? And all I have to go on is my knowledge that Zorro is "The Fox", not "The Dog". Could be an Albany expression, I guess.

Anyway, where I work I keep running into virtue names. Not just Faith or Grace, but Confidence and Peace (not to mention Paz).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

gleebster posted:

"Bitch" or "vixen"? And all I have to go on is my knowledge that Zorro is "The Fox", not "The Dog". Could be an Albany expression, I guess.

Anyway, where I work I keep running into virtue names. Not just Faith or Grace, but Confidence and Peace (not to mention Paz).

I mean, it literally means "vixen" but it means bitch. Google Translate backs me up. It might be a European Spanish thing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was looking at a bunch of young hockey prospects and saw two cool names.

There's a Finnish kid named Jimi Suomi. Suomi is literally Finnish for 'Finnish' and 'Finland,' but nobody is really sure why.

And another kid named with the last name Whynot.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Jimi Suomi is Finland's own-brand superhero. Like Captain America, only it's that energy drink kid wearing his underpants on the outside.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Steve Bytheway

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

Jimi Suomi is Finland's own-brand superhero. Like Captain America, only it's that energy drink kid wearing his underpants on the outside.

The energy drink kid is dead. Unless you meant that there's an energy drink kid known specifically for wearing his underpants on the outside.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

deoju posted:

I was looking at a bunch of young hockey prospects and saw two cool names.

There's a Finnish kid named Jimi Suomi. Suomi is literally Finnish for 'Finnish' and 'Finland,' but nobody is really sure why.

I work with a guy with the last name Suomi, and while I'm pretty sure he must have Finnish heritage, he is still obviously from the US. His first name is so generic that his whole name comes across as some sort of Finnish spy alias or something.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The energy drink kid is dead. Unless you meant that there's an energy drink kid known specifically for wearing his underpants on the outside.

I didn't know that. Way to make the meme depressing.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: I don't know why I hilited that. Now it just looks like the sign is yellow.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: I don't know why I hilited that. Now it just looks like the sign is yellow.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.
Other than that the site of Australia's most famous mass shooting is apparently in Finland now ?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.
Other than that the site of Australia's most famous mass shooting is apparently in Finland now ?

I'm pretty sure the only Port Arthur people knew about when Port Arthur got its name was Lüshunkou but yes that's the "interesting" bit.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Also of note Mr. Merrifield's name is Whitley, but he goes by Whit. There was a brief discussion in our household the other day over whether he was a Whitney or a Whitfield. Neither, as it turns out.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/drooliet/status/1426371826150686722?s=21

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Astrofig posted:

Also of note Mr. Merrifield's name is Whitley, but he goes by Whit. There was a brief discussion in our household the other day over whether he was a Whitney or a Whitfield. Neither, as it turns out.

"Whit Merrifield" is a really fantastic old school baseball name. It sounds like he should have been on the 1927 Yankees with Babe Ruth. He'd fit right in with the likes of Wilcy Moore, Waite Hoyt, Dutch Ruether, and Urban Shocker.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

"Whit Merrifield" is a really fantastic old school baseball name. It sounds like he should have been on the 1927 Yankees with Babe Ruth. He'd fit right in with the likes of Wilcy Moore, Waite Hoyt, Dutch Ruether, and Urban Shocker.

Speaking of old timey baseball names

https://twitter.com/espnstatsinfo/status/1426736399064121344?s=21

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The town I grew up in had the intersection of Butt’s Hollow Rd and Gobbler’s Knob Rd. Also a skunk’s misery rd, which was baffling.

I will buy a new username cert for anyone willing to change their handle to “bumpus jones”.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Aug 15, 2021

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Colt Derringer Peters

You have to be a very cool person to pull that name off he's not, he doesn't

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I saw somebody on Facebook named Roxsand. It's like her parents overheard the name and liked it but never saw it in writing.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Unfortunately, I think Bumpus and Bobo were just nicknames.

But 'Bumpus Jones' is a goddamn top-tier 19th-century baseball player name.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
I just sent a work email to a gentleman with the last name of Witcher.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PurpleButterfly posted:

I just sent a work email to a gentleman with the last name of Witcher.

did you give him a coin

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The town I grew up in had the intersection of Butt’s Hollow Rd and Gobbler’s Knob Rd. Also a skunk’s misery rd, which was baffling.

I will buy a new username cert for anyone willing to change their handle to “bumpus jones”.

bump me up ugly

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
dampier
icelynn
jereme
bent
finest
jeyshka
keanue
banessa
socrates
quortney
quizmet
axel, not terrible i suppose, but it was 2 different people in the same list
kermit
grover
lazar (not rem, unfortunately)

last name: nunnery

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Pressley Stutts

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LadyPictureShow posted:

Unfortunately, I think Bumpus and Bobo were just nicknames.

But 'Bumpus Jones' is a goddamn top-tier 19th-century baseball player name.

Mookie Betts is still the Most Baseball Name ever.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Samovar posted:

However, sometimes the demonym is not so clear, e.g. people from Barbados are Bajans, a person from Stockholm can be called a Nollåtta. And people from Linlithgow fall in the latter camp. Because people from Linlithgow are called, and I am not joking here, Black Bitches.

I once stunned a Lincolnshire guy by calling him a yellowbelly. He didn't expect that from a Londoner.

But yeah, that's a hell of a one. How many explanations are there for it?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think Johnny 'Ugly" Dickshot is a good contender, as well.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It’s no Bobson Dugnutt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Jemery