Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The mutagen has probably had the most consistent rules in the 2012 cartoon, where early seasons especially made a big deal of the mutant-of-the-week. Usually it's a situational thing; obviously early on a bunch of baby turtles exposed to it around a human took on human traits, while the human who'd been in the sewers took on rat traits. The Foot eventually figures out, and it's implied the Kraang did much earlier, that one can more or less determine the mutations through controlled exposure. The eventually introduced new versions of Bebop and Rocksteady actually end up scarily powerful because one's a skilled techno-wizard whose tracking skills are augmented with a pig's ridiculously good sense of smell, while the other is a loving rhino.

The real hosed up one is the take on Mutagen Man, which is implied to be what happens when a human is exposed to pure mutagen without significant outside contaminants to mix it with.

Of course, that take on the Kraang has them be natives to an alternate dimension- Dimension X, that is- with different laws of physics and time, and the mutagen is supposed to make the world more like Dimension X. So I imagine no one is really sure how it's 'supposed' to work.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

CainFortea posted:

Lotta pizza can fit in there.

Not just pizza bit hidden treasures and gems!
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/hidden-gems-weekend/

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And they had a crossover with the Ghostbusters!

TMNT also had a crossover with power rangers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The real hosed up one is the take on Mutagen Man, which is implied to be what happens when a human is exposed to pure mutagen without significant outside contaminants to mix it with.

I remember the OG toy of that guy (I don't think he was ever in the 80's/early 90's cartoon?) and even as a kid the idea of a man who's organs are just floating in a vat of goo freaked me out.

Fake edit: He WAS in the cartoon, but after I stopped watching it seems. At least the OG cartoon had a somewhat happy ending for him? He gets to "un-mutate" and go back to a regular human, though it has a weird message because he chooses to be attractive, not the nerdy guy he was before.

https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Seymour_Gutz_(1987_TV_series)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
His name is Seymour Gutz? gently caress I love cartoons

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

He gets to "un-mutate" and go back to a regular human, though it has a weird message because he chooses to be attractive, not the nerdy guy he was before.

Seems like he has the same face, but took off his glasses and did something with his hair.

Happens all the time in hollywood.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Apologies for continuing the derail, but wasn't there an episode of TMNT (1987) that dealt with the World Trade Center being threatened? Wasn't it also the episode involving Mount Rushmore?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I remember the OG toy of that guy (I don't think he was ever in the 80's/early 90's cartoon?) and even as a kid the idea of a man who's organs are just floating in a vat of goo freaked me out.

Fake edit: He WAS in the cartoon, but after I stopped watching it seems. At least the OG cartoon had a somewhat happy ending for him? He gets to "un-mutate" and go back to a regular human, though it has a weird message because he chooses to be attractive, not the nerdy guy he was before.

Not to accuse anyone of plagarism, but holy poo poo, that's where Robocop 2 got it's idea from.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember the episode of spider-man where they figure out the spiderized mutant version is living under the world trade center because of residue from that bombing.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Sunswipe posted:

Not to accuse anyone of plagarism, but holy poo poo, that's where Robocop 2 got it's idea from.
Floating brains in liquid have been a sci-fi movie staple since the 50’s. One was on a gorilla body, so not that new.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Android Apocalypse posted:

That Schwarzenegger … he might be brighter than the stereotypical strong lunkhead.

A lot of the 80’s action movie lunkheads were really, really smart dudes. Stallone comes across as slow because of the way he talks but the dude wrote Rocky and co-wrote First Blood. Lundgren speaks five languages and has a masters degree in chemical engineering.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Arnie's entire image and demeanour is as carefully sculpted and maintained as his body. He takes speech therapy courses to maintain his signature accent.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A lot of the 80’s action movie lunkheads were really, really smart dudes. Stallone comes across as slow because of the way he talks but the dude wrote Rocky and co-wrote First Blood. Lundgren speaks five languages and has a masters degree in chemical engineering.

Yeah, this is not surprising--show business is extremely competitive. Unless you are born into it, you have to be smart to be successful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Arnie's entire image and demeanour is as carefully sculpted and maintained as his body. He takes speech therapy courses to maintain his signature accent.

What, really? I'd love a source on this.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't think that's actually true, but it's a good story. He can drop the accent when he wants to, though

He was also a self-made millionaire before he ever became famous. He saw all the wannabe actors around him taking poo poo parts to make ends meet, so he invested all his bodybuilding winnings in real estate and didn't start going out for acting roles until he had a comfortable enough cushion

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's a lot of money to spend on a pillow, regardless of how nice it is to sit on.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Knowing even a little bit about the nutrition, exercise and medication that goes into becoming a professional bodybuilder it doesn't surprise me at all that the best ones are really loving intelligent and driven people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC he was a bricklayer and realised he could brand his business as 'Speciality European bricklaying' and charge 10x the price in the Bay Area.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Imagined posted:

Knowing even a little bit about the nutrition, exercise and medication that goes into becoming a professional bodybuilder it doesn't surprise me at all that the best ones are really loving intelligent and driven people.

lol

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's one thing to LIFT HEAVY THING GET SWOLE but when you want to be the top of the 0.00000001% at lift heavy thing get swole then a whole lot of thought and science goes into it, same as any sport. Either from the athlete's brain or their doctor's, and a lot of those guys did it, initially, on their own.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Imagined posted:

I would posit that pizza is an exception to Sturgeon's Law. Even the most garbage American public school lunch-tier frozen pizza is at least edible, which is better than "crud".

But still, it's a well known phenomenon that humans remember the hits and forget the misses. "Bands today aren't as good as Led Zeppelin", well yeah, but they're better than loving... Starland Vocal Band. Or Bread.

There's a shitton of rock bands today that are better than zep. You just won't hear them on top 40 stations

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's a shitton of rock bands today that are better than zep. You just won't hear them on top 40 stations

And I'm sure that's an argument I was sincerely making about something I totally believe.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC he was a bricklayer and realised he could brand his business as 'Speciality European bricklaying' and charge 10x the price in the Bay Area.

Exactly what he did. He hired a lot of his body building buddies and marketed them specifically as Europeans, as you said.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Imagined posted:

And I'm sure that's an argument I was sincerely making about something I totally believe.

It was an idle observation

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I remember from an Arnie biography I read like 20 years ago that he went on local TV when he was blowing up as a bodybuilder and, when asked what the secret to building big muscles was, said he ate lots of bull testicles.

Thing was, he'd previously made a deal with local butchers for a kickback if the demand for beef balls spiked... For some reason.

He wasn't always a 4d chess master though. As other posters said, he made millions from real estate before even getting into movies, but he also lost heaps when he heard the Concorde was going to start flying to LA and he bought up heaps of vacant land wherever he thought they might build a new airport with runways long enough for a supersonic airliner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, that’s a pretty smart move too really. The Concorde failing wasn’t something he could have anticipated.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

jazzyjay posted:

He wasn't always a 4d chess master though. As other posters said, he made millions from real estate before even getting into movies, but he also lost heaps when he heard the Concorde was going to start flying to LA and he bought up heaps of vacant land wherever he thought they might build a new airport with runways long enough for a supersonic airliner.

I mean, the worst case scenario in that situation is still "I have a crapton of land in LA", which isn't the worst way a business venture failed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, that’s a pretty smart move too really. The Concorde failing wasn’t something he could have anticipated.

Yeah, a Concorde flight out of LA was one of those things that should have been huge, LAX has tons of destinations with like 19+ hour flight times where it makes perfect sense.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The fact that one crash made everyone say "gently caress it, we'll never try supersonic jets again" and scrap the Concorde is amazing to me.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Airlines were looking for an excuse to drop them because the profit margins weren't as high

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My wife bought the recent Are You Afraid Of The Dark movie/miniseries (the one from 2018, not the 2020 sequel) and it's... surprisingly not bad. Most of the actors were good (barring the main character's mother. Good lord I have never seen someone so thirsty before), the effects looked mostly practical and were well done, and the plot wasn't bad. It also had some nice uses of modern cellphones that I don't think had come up before in horror movies.

There is one nice touch that I'm not sure was intentional or not: When Bartholomew, Mr Tophat's right-hand man, meets the kids in part 3 and tells them how to kill Mr Tophat, he mentions to be careful of the clowns, one short and one tall. He tells them that one is blind, the other deaf... except that they were in part 2, and neither one was blind or deaf. I don't know if it was intentional, but a nice bit of foreshadowing that Bartholomew was lying to the kids all along.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The fact that one crash made everyone say "gently caress it, we'll never try supersonic jets again" and scrap the Concorde is amazing to me.
As flavor.flv said, the airlines that were running Concorde (BA and Air France) were looking for an excuse to scrap the programme, it was prestigious but a real money sink.

Had all the other airlines that had shown interest actually followed through with their orders then it might have been very different. Still, that can't really be blamed on them, if I remember rightly loads of laws were passed in the US and possibly elsewhere banning supersonic aircraft over built up areas because of the noise of sonic booms, and this made them a very tough sell)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's a goddamn shame.

And are sonic booms really that loud and disruptive? JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark are all pretty close to me either I've somehow never experienced one or I just never noticed them.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That's a goddamn shame.

And are sonic booms really that loud and disruptive? JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark are all pretty close to me either I've somehow never experienced one or I just never noticed them.

Sonic booms are definitely something to experience. Commercial airplanes flying in & out of those airports are not breaking the sound barrier. I concede I don't know if military planes fly out of there, but I'm guessing not as they're so busy with civilian traffic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There were just news articles that came out yesterday about a prototype NASA and Lockheed are working on that's shaped in a way that reduces its boom to about a car door slamming.

The prototype itself can't carry passengers, but if it works as expected it could be scaled up apparently. The sound probably scales up too but if it's already reduced significantly it may work.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Sonic booms are definitely something to experience. Commercial airplanes flying in & out of those airports are not breaking the sound barrier. I concede I don't know if military planes fly out of there, but I'm guessing not as they're so busy with civilian traffic.

Military planes do occasionally fly out of JFK because that's where the Blue Angels came from last year when Trump decided low-flying jets over NYC was just what we needed in the middle of the pandemic and the protests. I just never noticed the boom.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They presumably aren't going supersonic. A few years back when Obama was in Seattle a doofus in a Cessna didn't get the memo about a no fly zone and they scrambled jets from Portland and people definitely noticed.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Fighters-scrambled-after-flight-restriction-890871.php

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm learning things!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I always figured the Concorde got scrapped in part because a lot of rich people died. It's not like a Spirit Airways plane flipped on takeoff taking 200 thrifty people with it.

Being an unprofitable plane to fly was probably a much better reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Generally you're not going to get sonic booms close to takeoffs or landings, you're going to get that after significant acceleration. With the concorde doing transatlantic flights it was less of an issue because it probably wouldn't get to that speed until they were over the ocean, but that seriously limits flightpaths to avoid populated areas terminals being near the coast. LA to parts of Asia or like Sydney would have probably worked.