Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Circle circle dot dot now I got my covid shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
lmao my fiancée's day is off to a great start

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Throw another one on the Moderna supremacy pile:
https://twitter.com/Goldammerfeder/status/1427989777354211335

Seriously though one of the latter comments is relevant:
https://twitter.com/Goldammerfeder/status/1428379232015724551

The difference could just be declining effectiveness over time or older people disproportionately receiving Pfizer before Moderna was available and their crappy immune systems making Pfizer look worse. Don't think these numbers were age corrected.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Hell yeah maybe having the majority of the population in crippling medical debt will finally get this country to switch to medicare for all.

haha jk

AwesomeDude
May 21, 2007
This might be a dumb question and the answer is probably “just buy more” (or get a respirator which I did do), but is there any reason I couldn’t use one of those UV disinfection boxes for phones on a used K94 mask?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Interesting that this says pfizer is actually better at preventing hospitalization with delta than with alpha.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Lansdowne posted:

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1428541317940920322

a thrid of all students and faculty out sick already, jesus

I haven't been following the school biz as closely this year since my mom (thankfully) retired from teaching before going back to the covid mines, but this is the first I'm hearing about states outright disallowing remote and forcing them to use snow days. everything is so stupid.

A nearby county shut down all of their schools today due to a "staffing shortage." I'm sure the weekend will fix that up.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
You guys what if the covfefe tweet wasn't a typo about coffee what if it was a typo about warning about covid

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sometimes I just can't take it anymore.

Ran into my idiot antivax brother today (only member of the familiy not vaccinated), and of course he started to rant about the situation because he can't find a holiday spot and blablabla.

Explained to me how he finds it awful the only 80% of the 80+ are vaccinated, and only like 70% of the 60+ (he's 48, and I didn't check the numbers) because that's irresponsible, and those people filling up the ICUs just lead to the next lockdown and how stupid they are because the lockdown will lead to him not beeing able to go to a restaurant or brunch.

I - calmly - asked him again, why he won't get vaccinated. Same response as always, the vaccine is unsafe, and the chances he has bad reactions to the vaccine is higher than him ending on the ICU, so he won't get it, unless they make a vaccine that has zero side effects.

I - not as calmly - asked him if he doesn't think it would be a good idea to get vaccinated to also protect other people, and get this whole poo poo over with? "Yeah, that's the last bit of reasoning you vaxxers always cling to. Protecting others. I'm sick of this bullshit, and it shows that you people have zero facts on your side apart "do it for the others"".

It's incredible. I share the same genes as this person. Incredible. He also got booted from his job, but won't tell why...

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 20, 2021

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Should I just get a moderna vaccine and lie about ever having gotten janssen

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

fosborb posted:

good lord

holy gently caress

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

zegermans posted:

Yes.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

zegermans posted:

Ya

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

zegermans posted:

Yes, the J&J doesn't count so you need a do-over

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Fireside Nut posted:

I'll just add in that among a ton of other Covid related data, I track therapeutic use at our hospitals. We stopped using Bamlanivimab (Eli Lilly) early on because people were getting wicked side effects and felt like poo poo for days and days afterwards. We have continued to use Casirivimab and Imdevimab (Regeneron) here and there. Overall, we have had very few folks subsequently admitted to an inpatient stay after receiving it - which was pretty impressive given we followed the guidelines in the above post and administered it mostly to folks likely to end up in the hospital. However, most of that data comes from pre-Delta days so it will be interesting to see if Regeneron can actually help with Delta (lol).

thanks for this! didn't know about the side effects of EL, but the EUA has been authorized that you can't give bambam alone, now have to give it in the cocktail

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jerkin' & Jackin'

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Petey posted:

thanks for this! didn't know about the side effects of EL, but the EUA has been authorized that you can't give bambam alone, now have to give it in the cocktail

Np - appreciated your post too! :)

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Ok this time covid you have gone too far

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

zegermans posted:

Not an expert at all, and not going to claim that boosters are really required at this time, I really just don't know. However anyone with just a single dose of JJ should probably seriously consider getting at least one mRNA shot by whatever means. I'd absolutely do it myself.

Thread consensus seems to be that going with a fake name at the pharmacy is generally more reliable than claiming you're immunocompromised, also probably don't want your insurer to think that unless it's really the case.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
yowza this Moderna has me wiped the gently caress out, the Pfizer just made me kinda tired both times but drat

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
haha what is this

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

haha what is this

I noticed this! I thought it was just me

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I went to Costco last night to do a final stock-up before poo poo gets really dire and cold weather sets in and you wouldn't know anything was wrong. Piles of non-masked folks, full parking lots at the restaurants, people shopping without a care in the world. And this is one of the better areas for pandemic hygiene and vaccination.

Once someone in a national position of power acknowledges that we're heading into a raft of poo poo the panic is going to set in and it's not going to be pretty.

Feels like we are in a worse position now than March 2020

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

dew worm posted:

undoubtedly

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I've made no progress on the "disability accommodation" I need to not go back to the office. The form is plainly for people with physical disabilities and my cardiologist keeps putting off looking at it. And I know once he does he's just going to say that I don't have a physical disability and/or that the vax is enough.

All a bunch of performative bullshit so they can say "But we have a process for those who have medical conditions!" when the process is doomed to fail or, if one were particularly charitable, pulled together from scrap and tissue paper.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

TheSlutPit posted:

Interesting that this says pfizer is actually better at preventing hospitalization with delta than with alpha.

My gut is that the difference there is mostly meaningless and has more to do with who got delta and who got alpha, but I haven't read the study in depth.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

dew worm posted:

Significantly.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Der Meister posted:

remote learning not allowed

how are people so loving stupid

a bunch of state boards of education mandated no remote learning option, even in true blue illinois. illinois did allow for kids to remote learn if they're quarantined but gave no details - apparently theyre supposed to just watch via webcam as the teacher teaches normally

every drat parent is going insane right now worrying about nonstop closures and the uncertainty behind it. second straight year where absolutely no conrete plan is in place

i assume the plan for all the southern antimask schools is to give every kid covid, close for a week, and reopen and just say its like if chickenpox hit the whole school at once

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

dew worm posted:

Yeah it rules :crackping:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dew worm posted:

We are because society is doing it's best to undercut any individual from being able to take actions to protect themselves.

Apr 7, 2003

dew worm posted:

Hospitalizations didn’t start spiking last year until late September iirc? We’re already riding that rollercoaster and deaths are absolutely going to follow soon.

Imho this is all on the CDC telling everyone the pandemic was essentially over in may. Any stupid rear end in a top hat could have predicted this outcome.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Thoguh posted:

We are because society is doing it's best to undercut any individual from being able to take actions to protect themselves.

open biden

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

dew worm posted:

yes

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

why is this thread so against delicious brunch???

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

skewetoo posted:

Ok this time covid you have gone too far

writing a strongly worded letter to the leaders of covid to kindly ask them to stop

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

why is this thread so against delicious brunch???

i love making brunch at home

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

dew worm posted:

Nobody else in my life seems to be worried about it so I can only conclude that I have gone insane

Apr 7, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

Nobody else in my life seems to be worried about it so I can only conclude that I have gone insane

Nobody watches the nightly news anymore and that’s the only place where it’s being covered really. And that coverage is a five minute blurb before they go into some celebrity’s dog or whatever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Kinda sorta good news I guess

lmao people in the CDC patting themselves on the. back

good job !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

McNugget Buddy posted:

Have you noticed any noteworthy trends with breakthrough hospitalizations? (caught the virus before fully vaccinated, specific brand of vaccine, patient old as dirt, patient comorbidities, etc.)?

Anecdotal but the overwhelming majority of breakthrough cases I've seen have had some sort of pre-existing condition that in and of itself makes the patient immunocompromised or necessitates the use of steroids which renders the patient immunocompromised. Some got J&J, some got one or both doses of mRNA. I have infinite compassion for these folks.

I have seen a literal handful of people without pre-existing conditions that are vaccinated and end up in the ICU, and I haven't noticed a trend with which vaccine they got because I think it's literally just been two.

I anticipate the number will go up as Delta continues to tear through the population