Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

amigolupus posted:

I like how the actress playing Lisa hasn't said a single line yet. Really goes to show who Lisa's Story is truly about.

I'm picturing the Lisa's Story movie poster and it's just a massive photo of Les with a tear rolling down his cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

les.jpg

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That brings back memories of visiting Grandma's. The "Jewish egg dish" is matzo brei, Grandma also called it Passover French Toast. I haven't had it in almost thirty years, I should fix that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Those faces in Intelligent Life are the poo poo of nightmares. Like, the Black Hole Sun video could be redone like that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

"207 - Jucika And The Unpredictable Weather"

Vacationing in the Falkland Islands I see.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Oh my loving god, the alligator Loki thing just aired like a few weeks ago, he started this date "storyline" back in loving March, he's been stalling this entire time and the best he could come up with is "popular thing" like loving always oh my god, Reddick you goddamn hack at least try to come up with an ending before you start the story. God, gently caress you.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Samovar posted:

...is it common for the crazy mirrors in Hungary to blow air up at you???
It used to be a thing in funhouses.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrFPdtaOE78&t=1558s

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Samovar posted:

...is it common for the crazy mirrors in Hungary to blow air up at you???

It was a thing in the US in the 50s. They never say if a mirror is involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-GwMtjkNGE

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Sylvia

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Jethro travels in style, or 'No, really guard, I'm feeling awful', or The Great Train Getaway

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 1 – Brassic After the storm

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

Technowolf posted:

Is there a particular reason that guy's hat says "BOY"?

Lobby Boy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 3, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 3, 1999)

Garfield Classic (December 3, 1989)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

amigolupus posted:

I like how the actress playing Lisa hasn't said a single line yet. Really goes to show who Lisa's Story is truly about.

It's even worse than you think, because the actress playing Lisa isn't even at this wrap party. Marianne has dark hair.

Chisel Chin's plus-one in yesterday's strip is Cindy, the first Mrs. Winkerbean. She used to be a core member of the cast, and even had a plotline about getting fired from a network news gig because of the one-two punch of ageism and sexism, then she got hired to do news breaks for (ugh) BuddyBlog. That was a gig we never really got to see her do because she hooked up with Mason around the same time, so whatever potential she had for storytelling and character development got swept off the table, because DUDES ROCK.

Her last big role was as a damsel in distress during last summer's wildfire.

Anyway, back to the MiniSec Ecocide Retrospective!
2007 gives us one more week of Fun With Cops. (October 15-19)

2010, featuring a strip that pissed me off so mightily back in the day that I've been looking forward to it coming back around. (November 15-19)

So. The miracle tree, huh? It's edible, has a lot of medicinal properties, and is really something else. So why don't more people know about this?

Welp, a huge part of the problem is that the moringa grows best in tropical and subtropical areas. According to Trees For Life, "It grows best between 25 and 35 C (77 to 95 F), but will tolerate 48 C (118 F) in the shade and can survive a light frost." The only places in America where it can grow outdoors year-round are southern Florida, Arizona, California and Texas (and as last winter's killer cold snap proved, Texas isn't exactly a guarantee anymore). Otherwise, you're either going to be replanting every year or you better make arrangements to bring a six-foot tall tree inside during the winter.

My hot take in 2010 was "Oh look at the Floridian who can't see past her own backyard." In 2021, I'm catching myself thinking that this might be doable once the tropical zone goes on the march again.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 20, 2021

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lisa would be dead by the end of the film. The film would obviously be filmed in sequence for continuity purposes, and I imagine at least the last third is just mopey shithead moping about how hurt he is without her. She probably hasn't been needed on set for a few months.

She is probably back working on a real project now that this dumb misery film has paid for her new pool.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

goatface posted:

Lisa would be dead by the end of the film. The film would obviously be filmed in sequence for continuity purposes, and I imagine at least the last third is just mopey shithead moping about how hurt he is without her. She probably hasn't been needed on set for a few months.

She is probably back working on a real project now that this dumb misery film has paid for her new pool.

The happiest ending possible in Funky Winkerbean. :unsmith:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

goatface posted:

I imagine the movie is actually called "LISA: The Les Moore Story."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

This is great!

F Minus

:capitalism:

Mark Trail

:lol:

Mary Worth

Later: "Who poo poo in my shoes?"

But seriously this is unacceptable behavior and absolutely a dealbreaker, if all the other previous dealbreakers weren't enough for Estelle.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"I'm warning you, I will invite the Morgans."

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mikl posted:

I imagine the movie is actually called "LISA: The Les Moore Story."

LISA: The Painful.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Saint Lisa of Cancer: The Lesser Story

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

But seriously this is unacceptable behavior and absolutely a dealbreaker, if all the other previous dealbreakers weren't enough for Estelle.

Mary in a few weeks probably: "Don't let a little thing like your cat get in the way of love!"

Why is every single Wilbur storyline so awful?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The gently caress is wrong with Wilbur? Gotta put up with a little pussy to get a little …

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Please :sever: already, Estelle.

2018 Spiderman

Daeren posted:

I call it the Herpetologist's Apprentice.

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Haifisch posted:

90s Overboard

This is both a distinguishable joke AND a distinguishable shark! Overboard guy must have had like a head injury around 2003 or something, I swear.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Estelle you are super-duper allowed to tell this jagoff to get the gently caress out of your house any time you want.

Wow, that is shockingly passive-aggressive for a lovey-dovey hippie character like Dez to say. Living with Bernice must have infected her.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Yeah, I'm struggling to understand why Estelle isn't going, "Hold on, this is MY house, and that's MY cat, and that's MY door that you're leaving through right now."

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (December, 1996)

So there you have it, life in a small Finnish rural town from 1976 to 1996. Mämmilä is a great classic of Finnish comics, and one major factor in its success is luck. It started right on time to document a major change in Finnish society, from a nation of sleepy, agrarian towns to modernity that is very recognisable for us today. For good and ill, as we saw.

The comic originally appeared page at a time in two different magazines, and was collected into ten albums as it went along. Later it was turned into three collections, from which the comics posted here were scanned. As far as I know, there are only two comics from this original run that you haven't seen. One was my mistake, it was clearly on the wrong page (set in spring when in comics around it it was winter) and I simply forgot to post it later. It was a simple gag about a photographer from the city appearing at Ala-Mämmilä farm. The other was an early page that was redrawn and rewritten as the one where Heimo tries to buy a grandfather clock.

As I have mentioned a few times before, there are two more Mämmilä-albums left. The first I don't have and wasn't published in a magazine or newspaper anyway, the second I have and was in a magazine but I was not planning on posting it. They aren't as good as the original series, Koivisto himself was happy to be done with the series after the second follow-up. If there are goons who'd like it I could post few pages showing where some of the characters are in the early 2000's.

In any case, I hope people liked this comic, I'd be happy to hear opinions or questions about it!

Thanks for sharing this! One of the comics I really looked forward to in this thread!

B Kliban

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrqW_BZu5Xk&t=4s

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

"What part of 'I'm trying to get your daughter liquored up' do you not understand?"

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (December, 1996)

I'd also like to thank you for posting Mammila. It was one of my favorite reads in the thread, and I'd love to see whatever else there is of it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

2010, featuring a strip that pissed me off so mightily back in the day that I've been looking forward to it coming back around. (November 15-19)

So. The miracle tree, huh? It's edible, has a lot of medicinal properties, and is really something else. So why don't more people know about this?

Welp, a huge part of the problem is that the moringa grows best in tropical and subtropical areas. According to Trees For Life, "It grows best between 25 and 35 C (77 to 95 F), but will tolerate 48 C (118 F) in the shade and can survive a light frost." The only places in America where it can grow outdoors year-round are southern Florida, Arizona, California and Texas (and as last winter's killer cold snap proved, Texas isn't exactly a guarantee anymore). Otherwise, you're either going to be replanting every year or you better make arrangements to bring a six-foot tall tree inside during the winter.

My hot take in 2010 was "Oh look at the Floridian who can't see past her own backyard." In 2021, I'm catching myself thinking that this might be doable once the tropical zone goes on the march again.

In the places it *can* grow it's also very invasive. The fast growth is great for cultivated harvesting, not for random seeding.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

"Cigar butts in a gallstone sauce" sounds more appetizing than Susie's lunch here, honestly.

Caphi posted:

Mary in a few weeks probably: "Don't let a little thing like your cat get in the way of love!"

Well, this is Mary Worth so her advice would take a turn to "Why have a cat when you can have a dog? They're so loyal! And they love salmon!"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The new Junji Ito manga's looking good.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Comic Strips 2021: Great dorg!

JethroMcB posted:

"Cigar butts in a gallstone sauce" sounds more appetizing than Susie's lunch here, honestly.
Depends where you source your gallstones.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bruceski posted:

In the places it *can* grow it's also very invasive. The fast growth is great for cultivated harvesting, not for random seeding.

Stephanie is exactly the kind of person to advocate for a pre-agricultural subsistence life to "save the Earth" and doesn't bother to learn a drat thing about actual ecology or even the basics of native and introduced species.