Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It should let you rewind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

boz posted:

I feel like the game would have been helped out if it had shortcuts to certain set up scenarios

There are some, but definitely not enough.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Barudak posted:

Ok, what if you had to play 1/3rd of the game for the controls to improve?

I would like to know more

Barudak
May 7, 2007

irpoweroutlet posted:

I would like to know more

Theres a point about 1/3rd into the game where you get captured and "stroggified" by the enemy and your move speed and health improves to feeling good

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Well uhh I blew through Recompile in one sitting, all achievements and everything!

Quick review: liked it a lot, there are some glaring flaws but nothing that ruins the mood too much... more just some wasted opportunities, solid 7/10 for me

pros
-moving around feels great; while you may start out feeling very slow and limited it's surprising how quickly the game opens up
-really awesome visuals, music, and overall atmosphere
-short and sweet! I consider this a pro because it's on Gamepass; I really like when a game like this doesn't overstay its welcome, and hey I didn't have to buy it
-the different areas have very nicely defined themes and very different vibes; for the most part they're fun to explore to collect everything, but that's partly just because movement is so fun
-optional lore pickups start out feeling really basic but do actually start to build an interesting concept around an AI you're learning about
-reasonably fun and easy to collect 100% of stuff, and there are also some fun and simple branching endings that are easy to go back and experiment with
-ran great on the Series S, pretty consistent framerate and 0 bugs that affected my gameplay at all

cons
-combat mostly doesn't add much to the game... they give you upgrades that kind of trivialize it but it's still pretty pointless!
-along with that, the bosses are pretty much garbage; I can't imagine trying to fight them "legitimately" instead of cheesing them later in the game, because they are extremely annoying and their mechanics don't seem to have much thought put into them
-one area has puzzles involving sending signals through AND/OR/NOT logic gates, but they're completely absurd to try to actually figure out. You will genuinely save time by just experimenting with pressing buttons in different orders unless you really find it enjoyable to map out the whole thing, because they're ridiculous and there aren't actually enough puzzles to bother really learning them well (sidenote: in a strange way it felt kind of satisfying to learn to just kind of intuit these puzzles by the visuals, but it was still mostly just pressing buttons and seeing what happens)
-along these lines, there are hacking abilities that are mostly pointless; they can affect these logic gates but that will basically never matter, although I guess you can completely skip the stupid puzzles with some of them (and if you really don't care either way, probably just do this)... hacking can also affect combat but there's really nowhere in the game where this is used in interesting ways
-hacking is the only thing that uses the currency you get from killing dudes, but there's almost no reason to even have a currency in the game; it would be extremely hard to run out and it adds almost nothing to the experience
-early on backtracking is very helpful because you're better off exploring a bit of each area rather than committing to one, but at that point in the game backtracking is still slow and obnoxious

Honestly the cons didn't make me mad or anything, they're just glaring signs of this being a project by a small team who didn't have the opportunity to flesh out the experience. Definitely worth a try with Gamepass, you might blow through it in a few hours and have a good time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Jeses Christ, just when I thought I was out

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’ve never played Quake 1, all i’ve seen of it is Ahoy’s cool documentary about it https://youtu.be/OipJYWhMi3k

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Quake plays like absolute dogshit on a controller, I can’t hit anything for some reason.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Original_Z posted:

Quake plays like absolute dogshit on a controller, I can’t hit anything for some reason.

yeah, it's quake, lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Original_Z posted:

Quake plays like absolute dogshit on a controller,

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
12 minutes feels like the babel fish puzzle in Infocoms HHGttG, except with no quick load and fewer hints. Oh well, gamepass.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Plays fantastic with m&k though! I’ve run into a few menu glitches, but otherwise the new port is pretty much what I wanted.

They should add some heroes and ranked play. /s

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

A couple of minutes into Twelve Minutes and I am already hating the control scheme. Why doesn’t this have direct character control instead of a terrible laggy pointer?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I mean eventually you have to select things around the environment, around the inventory, place things around the environment, etc. so a pointer makes sense. I think mouse and keyboard definitely beats controller though.

I liked the first half hour of 12 minutes or so but am quickly losing patience with having to do so much repetition to discover new information, I don't know if I'll stick with it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Quake feels so bad on gamepad. They added some awful acceleration and you can't disable it. Yuck.

Feels absolutely perfect with M+KB though, of course. Man this game is cool. I really can't wait to dive into all of these Quakes again.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

ErrEff posted:

A couple of minutes into Twelve Minutes and I am already hating the control scheme. Why doesn’t this have direct character control instead of a terrible laggy pointer?

just wait til you find out it's a bad game

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Because its a point and click adventure game.

Also it sucks

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah, I played Twelve Minutes for a while yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'm done with it. Kinda realizing that I don't really care for time-loop games (got bored of Overboard pretty quickly also, and that's much more forgiving as far as rewinds and skipping stuff you've done before is concerned). I went through the opening sequence several times, missing the key to knocking Willem Dafoe's character out by one thing or another each time until the next to last, and even after that I wasn't sure why (I thought you had to use the knife on the light switch to damage it to the point where it would be a more lethal shock. Doing that has a unique animation but doesn't seem to matter at that point in the game, if it ever matters at all. Instead you just have to have turned the light on and then off (I think?) -- just feels super railroaded/ linear. Once I knew where the important item the guy is looking for was, I knocked my wife out, left it on the table, and hid in the closet-- you'd think that this would have given me some ending, even just a dumb one, but nope.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

glad i read the plot reveal of 12 minutes because boy oh man i would've been pissed if i wasted my time playing that poo poo to unravel that garbage

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It felt like there were a bunch of points during 12 Minutes where I was like "oh I wonder if you could do X" and instead of being rewarded for my curiosity with something cool I just got sent back to the start. It's a disappointingly linear game for how short it is. Also the plot is like Donald's movie pitch from Adaptation levels of stupid.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

My biggest issue is that its an art game that has absolutely nothing to say about anything. It just has its story and its one twist and doesnt really comment on anything. Like if you're going to make a game where it is just going to be a story told with basic point and click gameplay mechanics you need your story to be pretty loving good for it to even have a shot.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

welcome posted:

12 minutes feels like the babel fish puzzle in Infocoms HHGttG, except with no quick load and fewer hints. Oh well, gamepass.

This made me remember Starship Titanic, which if I recall, wasn't very good, but was fun.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

glad i read the plot reveal of 12 minutes because boy oh man i would've been pissed if i wasted my time playing that poo poo to unravel that garbage

Do you have a link? I want to play it, but I've seen enough to know I won't finish it.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

It isn't a good sign if the game starts with the carpet from The Shining

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

My biggest issue is that its an art game that has absolutely nothing to say about anything.

sounds like every "art" game ever tbh

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sounds like every "art" game ever tbh

naw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

any game not about shooting or hitting enemies to death is a waste of time tbh

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm digging it, I like how it rewards lateral thinking. Haven't gotten to an ending yet but I've had some cool aha moments. I'm not sure if the overall story is gonna end up impressing me, but the way it's unraveling is fun and a little twisty.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

The Diddler posted:

Do you have a link? I want to play it, but I've seen enough to know I won't finish it.

!!!SPOILER SYNOPSIS FOR ENTIRE 12 MINUTES STORY!!!

The basic setup is you step into your apartment, wife greets you with a surprise dessert, and reveals over the dessert that she is pregnant. A few minutes later a cop shows up banging on your door, eventually forcing his way in, accusing your wife of murdering her father 8 years ago. Cop zip ties you both and immediately begins demanding to know where "the pocketwatch" is, wife plays stupid, and cop proceeds to strangle you to death, which restarts the loop back at the moment you stepped into the apartment.

Through various adventure game manipulations, you learn that 8 years ago, your wife accidentally killed her abusive father during a domestic incident and then she ran away after swiping his valuable antique pocketwatch, meeting you shortly after. The cop was an old friend of her fathers and always "knew" that she did it. Except *twist*, she didn't actually kill her father because he survived the first shooting, and his actual time of death was a week later in a separate shooting incident while wife was hundreds of miles away. Except *mega twist* the cop doesn't even particularly care if she did it or not, because actually he just needs that pocketwatch for money because his daughter has cancer and he can't pay the medical bills!

Using your time travel adventure game powers you engineer the perfect sequence of events to convince your wife that you're time traveling, that you know about everything, you call the cop's daugther and have her tell her dad to listen to your story rather than immediately ziptie and kill you, and manage to convince the cop that wife is innocent. Wife even gives him the pocketwatch willingly out of pity, and the cop vows to find the "real" killer.

*Ultra Turbo Twist* the real killer is "monster", the wife's bastard half brother that was conceived during an affair with the nanny. *Ultimate mindfuck twist* YOU ARE MONSTER, THE BASTARD HALF BROTHER, EXCEPT YOU HAVE AMNESIA OR WERE HYPNOTIZED OR SOMETHING TO FORGET ABOUT THE INCEST. You killed dad in self defense because he found out you were dating your half-sister and he wanted to kill you so she would never know the truth, or something. The ending gets a little weird about what is real or not and it kind of just sputters out, I think there are multiple endings. In my ending it showed wife's father hypnotizing me to forget and then it deleted my save game and rolled credits.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 20, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Scoss posted:

The basic setup is you step into your apartment, wife greets you with a surprise desert, and reveals over the desert that she is pregnant. A few minutes later a cop shows up banging on your door, eventually forcing his way in, accusing your wife of murdering her father 8 years ago. Cop zip ties you both and immediately begins demanding to know where "the pocketwatch" is, wife plays stupid, and cop proceeds to strangle you to death, which restarts the loop back at the moment you stepped into the apartment.

Through various adventure game manipulations, you learn that 8 years ago, your wife accidentally killed her abusive father during a domestic incident and then she ran away after swiping his valuable antique pocketwatch, meeting you shortly after. The cop was an old friend of her fathers and always "knew" that she did it. Except *twist*, she didn't actually kill her father because he survived the first shooting, and his actual time of death was a week later in a separate shooting incident while wife was hundreds of miles away. Except *mega twist* the cop doesn't even particularly care if she did it or not, because actually he just needs that pocketwatch for money because his daughter has cancer and he can't pay the medical bills!

Using your time travel adventure game powers you engineer the perfect sequence of events to convince your wife that you're time traveling, that you know about everything, you call the cop's daugther and have her tell her dad to listen to your story rather than immediately ziptie and kill you, and manage to convince the cop that wife is innocent. Wife even gives him the pocketwatch willingly out of pity, and the cop vows to find the "real" killer.

*Ultra Turbo Twist* the real killer is "monster", the wife's half brother bastard that was conceived during an affair with the nanny. *Ultimate mindfuck twist* YOU ARE MONSTER, THE BASTARD HALF BROTHER, EXCEPT YOU HAVE AMNESIA OR WERE HYPNOTIZED OR SOMETHING TO FORGET ABOUT THE INCEST. You killed dad in self defense because he found out you were dating your half-sister and he wanted to kill you so she would never know the truth, or something. The ending gets a little weird about what is real or not and it kind of just ends on a wet fart, I think there are multiple endings. In my ending it showed wife's father hypnotizing me to forget and then it deleted my save game and rolled credits.

lmfao

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Scoss posted:

The basic setup is you step into your apartment, wife greets you with a surprise desert, and reveals over the desert that she is pregnant. A few minutes later a cop shows up banging on your door, eventually forcing his way in, accusing your wife of murdering her father 8 years ago. Cop zip ties you both and immediately begins demanding to know where "the pocketwatch" is, wife plays stupid, and cop proceeds to strangle you to death, which restarts the loop back at the moment you stepped into the apartment.

*Ultra Turbo Twist* the real killer is "monster", the wife's bastard half brother that was conceived during an affair with the nanny. *Ultimate mindfuck twist* YOU ARE MONSTER, THE BASTARD HALF BROTHER, EXCEPT YOU HAVE AMNESIA OR WERE HYPNOTIZED OR SOMETHING TO FORGET ABOUT THE INCEST. You killed dad in self defense because he found out you were dating your half-sister and he wanted to kill you so she would never know the truth, or something. The ending gets a little weird about what is real or not and it kind of just sputters out, I think there are multiple endings. In my ending it showed wife's father hypnotizing me to forget and then it deleted my save game and rolled credits.

No really, what is it about?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
They should just put up a random narrative like that in text form once a month on GamePass as an added bonus.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Oh gently caress that is the actual plot.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Did any of you ever play that internet game where you had to like find a cure in a week and whatever ending you got would save to your cookies and you had to like clear your browser history to play it again?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Can you mod 12 minutes to feature other plotlines written by an AI?

Edit: like these?

source

External Organs fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 20, 2021

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1428782409810595844?s=21

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao 303

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
How hard can a coop campaign mode be to implement?

Was it a totally different campaign?

Hope these means they don't have to crunch around holiday time. That's fine imo there's a billion games to play.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

just put a bullet in halo at this point, who loving cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Holy poo poo, they got the band to make the game?