Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

those "reaction shots" are more importantly about showing the queens having fun and great chemistry together op

This is absolutely false. Those shots would have had the same chemistry regardless of who the remaining queens were cheering for. Conspicuously, the remaining queens almost exclusively cheered for the queen who ended up winning a given lip sync. This was bolstered by having Ru and the judges laugh.

You should laugh too, audience, don’t you love what just happened?

It’s bad. I have a strong feeling that if the lip syncs were drag race Canada length, we’d see a lot more sloppiness. Instead, between cutting the song down and two sets of reaction shots to choose from, the narrative can be carefully controlled.

Look at how winded serena was at the end of her lip sync. I wonder what stunts were left on the cutting room floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I wonder if it's as simple as Silky is local, so for her to keep isolating for the other episodes wasn't a huge deal compared to having to put up some of the other queens for a couple weeks

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Eureka won the living poo poo out of that lipsync. That was DRAG. If she doesn't advance seriously gently caress this show

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I think Silky did great overall, but yeah Eureka won that last lip sync. I didn't love that final lip sync song tbh, I am not a Kelly Clarkson fan and I thought it was another dull mid-tempo song like boom clap. But I think there's a clear story behind Silky at this point and it's not like she didn't give us that Barbie lipsync which will live in my mind forever. I don't really care who wins this one though. It was really cool to see Silky shine.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Bushido Brown posted:

This is absolutely false. Those shots would have had the same chemistry regardless of who the remaining queens were cheering for. Conspicuously, the remaining queens almost exclusively cheered for the queen who ended up winning a given lip sync. This was bolstered by having Ru and the judges laugh.

You should laugh too, audience, don’t you love what just happened?

It’s bad. I have a strong feeling that if the lip syncs were drag race Canada length, we’d see a lot more sloppiness. Instead, between cutting the song down and two sets of reaction shots to choose from, the narrative can be carefully controlled.

Look at how winded serena was at the end of her lip sync. I wonder what stunts were left on the cutting room floor.

I'm pretty sure the whole arc was about as random and unscripted as a season of Downton Abbey, but I still enjoyed it while knowing I was being led by the nose. The songs should definitely be longer. DRCan used split screens in addition to showing more of the songs too; I don't know why they can't do that for the main RPDR show even if they do leave in the "here's the narrative" bits. Then again, on DRCan the judges VOTED for each winner rather than Ru pulling it out of her wig so...meh.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole arc was about as random and unscripted as a season of Downton Abbey, but I still enjoyed it while knowing I was being led by the nose.

Once I accepted the drag race is a reality show and not a competition show, I've been able to enjoy it more.

Like Silky have a couple solid lip syncs at the start and being carried to the end through some subpar ones.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

spite house posted:

Eureka won the living poo poo out of that lipsync. That was DRAG. If she doesn't advance seriously gently caress this show

I'm of the same mind. They both performed the number but one of them lived it.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Does anyone think there will ever be a pure dragking show?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I am livid that they continued rewarding Silky for that bullshit. I am 90% confident that both Silky and Eureka will return.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Silky pulling all that drink stuff out of her titties reminded me of this (please watch, it's amazing):
https://twitter.com/cleverbynature_/status/1374142577025384451?lang=en

Zombie Squared posted:

My bi rear end sure hopes so!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zombie Squared posted:

Not hosted by Ru. Maybe in the WoW universe though. Who is the most famous Drag King who could host?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's guaranteed where they got it from.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Not hosted by Ru. Maybe in the WoW universe though. Who is the most famous Drag King who could host?

Murray Hill is arguably the most famous, although Landon Cider has blew up since winning Dragula. My dream is Tenderoni. :pray:

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I just hope they'll do the night of a 1000 Charlie Days as a category.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Read After Burning posted:

Murray Hill is arguably the most famous, although Landon Cider has blew up since winning Dragula. My dream is Tenderoni. :pray:

Landon and Tenderoni buddy movie when?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nihonniboku posted:

I know she did it only a handful of times but technically Lady Gaga

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Coming this fall, Oscar Winner Lady Gaga hosts the new series you've all been waiting for, Drag King of Kings, exclusively on WOW Plus.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Nihonniboku posted:

Coming this fall, Oscar Winner Lady Gaga hosts the new series you've all been waiting for, Drag King of Kings, exclusively on WOW Plus.

I mean, it would guarantee her getting closer to that EGOT

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm not sure if this supposed to be a gag, but I would unironically love this. Who would be the guest judges?? Starring RuPaul as the director of the RuPaulSical.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zombie Squared posted:

Who would be the guest judges??

Tilda Swinton!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I haven't even got to the first lipsynch yet (husband cam home with a friend so we are hanging out). But I knew it was going to be a last chance kitchen type thing. I wish they would have done a short internet episode weekly rather than a bunch of lipsynch all at once.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I mean Shangela did the same stuff in All Stars 3 and people ate that up. Different strokes for different folks.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

In other news, Willam has a new TV gig: https://deadline.com/2021/08/unconv...ies-1234817170/

quote:

Filming has begun on EastSiders creator Kit Williamson’s dark comedy series Unconventional, whose cast is being led by Kit Williamson (Mad Men), Aubrey Peeples (Nashville), James Bland (Giants) and Briana Venskus (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.).

Developed at The Sundance Lab, the series follows eccentric, queer siblings Noah and Margot Guillory (Williamson and Peeples) and their significant others Dan Charles and Elisa Slate (Bland and Venskus) as they try to start an unconventional family while navigating their thirties, trying to stay sane in an unstable world and, most importantly, trying to hold onto the bonds they share.

Series regulars also include Willam Belli (EastSiders), Constantine Rousouli (Charmed) Laith Ashley (Pose) and Dana Wheeler-Nicholson (Friday Night Lights). Wheeler-Nicholson plays Carolyn Guillory, the conservative matriarch of the family who leaves her home state of Texas after an unexpected tragedy to join her children in the California desert, where she is thrust into the unfamiliar and unapologetically queer world of Palm Springs and Joshua Tree.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I thought Silky won most of her lip syncs but I also pop for gimmickry, the Barbie Girl one had me losing it, that said I did think Jan had the edge in her lip sync and I definitely thought Eureka was stronger in the final one so we shall see.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
I could see giving Jan the edge but LOL to Jan ever getting any credit. Pandora also was very competitive. If they don't give the last one to Reka, though, that's complete BS. Silky did half the song in an ugly tent, the reveal under the tent was unimpressive, she got tangled up in the tent and never successfully got rid of it...basically a disaster. Eureka OTOH looked fantastic and did an excellent lip sync, and I am no big Eureka fan but she can lip sync.

I had Barbie Girl stuck in my head for awhile, that was annoying. Now I've moved on to Point of No Return, which I like better.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 21, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

haven't been a big Jan Fan myself but I think they edged out Silky. Honestly by the end of it I was just screaming at Ru. I think Eureka really clearly won the final one at least.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Cafe Barbarian posted:

LOL to Jan ever getting any credit

Ru's still mad about that first letter, she's gonna be real mad soon

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/rpdr_thingssss/status/1429515219575967749?s=19

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

omg

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Holy poo poo

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think Ru really missed a perfect opportunity to tell Jan that, while she performed beautifully, they were really hoping to see a little bit of the real Jan in the performance.

incredible

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 24, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I don't know if I agreed with Jiggly winning over Serena, and I LOVE the former.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

I don't know if I agreed with Jiggly winning over Serena, and I LOVE the former.

I did. I thought she did a better job connecting with and performing the song. ~~~Serena~~~ was doing a bunch of unconnected flops and stunts with a big grin on her face.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I guess for me, it's just confusion on what exactly the judges look for in a lip sync. Sometimes stunts win out, sometimes knowing the words better wins out, sometimes making the judges laugh wins out, sometimes hitting "the vibe" of the song wins out...

Is it just a "I'll know it when I see it" thing? :P Plus, you know, storyline reasons..

On Reddit, I just saw "the big Boulet talks like Nathan Fielder" and I am deceased.

Reddit posted:

“the problem? The most popular drag show on television was presenting an idea of drag that was entirely sanitized. the solution? to go undercover as one half of a respected drag duo and bring it back to its dirty roots. this is Nathan For You.”

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 24, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Yes, there's no rubric for judging a lip sync

There is, however, a RuBric :v:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Is it just a "I'll know it when I see it" thing? :P Plus, you know, storyline reasons..

Yup. And remember, I'd say each season that about half the cast is brought in with production full well knowing they don't stand a chance at winning. Somebody has to go home first. They're not going to stack the cast with a large pool of potential (or chosen) winners, depriving them of a chosen one for the next few seasons.

After 20+ seasons directly handled by WoW and Ru, it's pretty clear to me that cast each season the following: 1 shoe in for the crown; 3 or 4 who are really talented queens and could shake things up and take the crown (but unlikely), or at least be good potentials for a future all-stars; several who could be interesting mid-season boots; and 2 or 3 who don't stand a chance and are destined to go home in the first couple episodes.

I think there are arguably only 2 times where the designated winner did not take the crown: Season 4 when Sharon Needles won over Chad Michaels, and season 9 when Sasha Velour won over Shea Coulee. Maybe Canada with Priyanka winning over Rita Baga.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Jaida? She was even a late recast.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

Jaida? She was even a late recast.

Probably! I think it was pretty clear, even even after editing her out, that Sherry Pie was the designated winner prior to everything that came to life.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I'm still not convinced they would've crowned her. She lost the first lip sync and had no late wins. I think Ru's been pretty clear lately about how much she cares about lip sync ability in deciding winners nowadays. And they could've rigga morris'd a late challenge win like the makeover but didn't. She was competing against Gigi with the most wins, Jaida with the strong-but-stumbles-once record, and Crystal with a huge glowup narrative. If it had been a S9-11 type finale, which I'm assuming was the original plan, I just don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm still not convinced they would've crowned her. She lost the first lip sync and had no late wins. I think Ru's been pretty clear lately about how much she cares about lip sync ability in deciding winners nowadays. And they could've rigga morris'd a late challenge win like the makeover but didn't. She was competing against Gigi with the most wins, Jaida with the strong-but-stumbles-once record, and Crystal with a huge glowup narrative. If it had been a S9-11 type finale, which I'm assuming was the original plan, I just don't see it.

Good point. It's the one season I haven't rewatched, just because I don't think it's streaming anywhere.