Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

idiotsavant posted:

wasn’t there a big craft beer metoo blowup on ig a few months back? there have been a couple wine ones in the past year or two but mainly wrt restaurants & somms, seems like natty wine bros are still probably going strong tho >_>

Yeah. That's what I was trying to joke about. It's a very White Guy industry. There was a big metoo thing about it (deservedly). Some very harrowing stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

To expound further the craft beer stuff was mostly started by ratmagnet from Notch Brewing sharing stories on Instagram. It started out small but really snowballed. Of course she took a ton of abuse for reposting stories that were sent to her.

idiotsavant
ya thats the one i meant. there was a complicated one a few months ago with a New England natural winemaker; she’s queer and a poc and either did some sexual harassment or is a terrible drunk and a lovely emotionally abusive girlfriend

winemaking is kinda weird cause I know there are definitely lovely rear end in a top hat winemakers but it seems like the skeeziest part of the scene is all the cool trust fund natty winebar/zine bros

sometimes it kind of sucks making alcohol cause its absolutely a drug and as such pulls a bunch of garbage people into its orbit

idiotsavant
on a positive note, and pertaining to wine and craft beer, if you ever get the chance to work with some grapes I did a few very small projects with a local brewery that turned out insane. We did Albarino grapes with a bier de garde/saison style base, I forget the grain but it was mainly hopped for a proper level of bitterness as opposed to aromatics so the hops wouldn’t battle the grapes. Grapes were stomped & did an ambient/spontaneous ferment, I helped brewer make the wort, and then he pressed the grapes & added them in, so the wine fermentation kicked off the wort.

it came out loving insane, just loads of tropical fruit (super strong jackfruit esp) that married to the beer super well. Def worth a try if you can get your hands on some grapes but just spend a moment thinking about how you’re tying flavor/mouthfeel together so you’re not making some kind of dumb lingonberry ipa bullshit or whatever

Finger Prince

idiotsavant posted:

on a positive note, and pertaining to wine and craft beer, if you ever get the chance to work with some grapes I did a few very small projects with a local brewery that turned out insane. We did Albarino grapes with a bier de garde/saison style base, I forget the grain but it was mainly hopped for a proper level of bitterness as opposed to aromatics so the hops wouldn’t battle the grapes. Grapes were stomped & did an ambient/spontaneous ferment, I helped brewer make the wort, and then he pressed the grapes & added them in, so the wine fermentation kicked off the wort.

it came out loving insane, just loads of tropical fruit (super strong jackfruit esp) that married to the beer super well. Def worth a try if you can get your hands on some grapes but just spend a moment thinking about how you’re tying flavor/mouthfeel together so you’re not making some kind of dumb lingonberry ipa bullshit or whatever

There's a local craft brewery here that does a variety of grape skin/wine beers that sound like what you're describing (barrel aged saison on different grape skins) and I've been meaning to try one, but they're like $10-12 for a 16oz bottle and there's 4 varieties and I just end up too stingy to pay 40 bucks for 4 beers.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Yeeeeeah, I had a technical test on a recent interview with a company. They gave me eight minutes to do the thing; it was a dead simple math fix. I did it in five and the response I got was "we've never had a woman complete the test."

I keep this little Lego Margaret Hamilton on my desk as a focal point for anyone who has to sit through the lecture they get if they do poo poo like this in my office.

Haven't given this lecture in a few years now...

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I literally have degrees in physics and I am slinging soap, I need to just bite the bullet and become a breatharian and live in my bf's closet.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

I literally have degrees in physics and I am slinging soap, I need to just bite the bullet and become a breatharian and live in my bf's closet.

What's the typical velocity of the soap when it leaves your slinging apparatus?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

What's the typical velocity of the soap when it leaves your slinging apparatus?

My measured speed last time I pitched softball was between 78 and 86mph so probably it could reach terminal velocity.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Great news, y'all!
I discovered an old (2016) bottle of lorazepam in my desk that I had completely forgotten about and it's safe to take in small doses while breastfeeding! I don't have to sit here all day feeling my jaw muscles getting progressively tighter while I fixate on how much I don't want to be here! It's a Pre-Labor Day miracle!

Vernii

One of my two bosses (I have a weird hybrid role where I report to one person on certain responsibilities, another person on others) just got fired. They were a department head that's been with the company for about a decade and quite competent IMO. Kinda nervous that may be part of a larger re-org. Probably time to start polishing my resume just in case. It would really suck to be fired beyond the usual reasons because its honestly the best company I've worked for and I have this kind of perfect position where I don't get invited to meetings and my bosses provided minimal oversight.

EDIT: Hm, my position might be safer than I think, knock on wood and all, because thanks to said hybrid role my position also straddles two departments and while I do most of my work and reporting to one (where said boss was just fired), I officially belong to the other. Still gonna polish the resume though just in case.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 20, 2021

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cruft

Apropos of nothing, I decided I needed to reach out today and thank some of the women who've served as role models in my career.

It is emotionally exhausting.

Escape From Noise

idiotsavant posted:

ya thats the one i meant. there was a complicated one a few months ago with a New England natural winemaker; she’s queer and a poc and either did some sexual harassment or is a terrible drunk and a lovely emotionally abusive girlfriend

winemaking is kinda weird cause I know there are definitely lovely rear end in a top hat winemakers but it seems like the skeeziest part of the scene is all the cool trust fund natty winebar/zine bros

sometimes it kind of sucks making alcohol cause its absolutely a drug and as such pulls a bunch of garbage people into its orbit

Yeah, it's weird. I think the thing with the brewing industry is you get a lot of clueless rich shitheads who think getting into the industry would be a great way to make money in this emerging craft beer industry because they read some article about Hill Farmstead (owner of that place got a lot of accusations as well) and think "I could do that!" without having any clue about the work and planning that goes into building a successful brewery, or the industry as a whole. I think it's at least somewhat similar to what happens a lot in the restaurant industry, only equipment for a brewery is much more expensive.

That sounds really cool, also sounds like the right decision for the base beer. I'm partial to Belgian styles in general, but thibk they tend to be the better base for fruit beers. I do think wine/beer hybrids are pretty hard to pull off, so that's really cool it turned well!

Finger Prince

idiotsavant
come take me, owls

xcheopis

I am ready.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Escape From Noise

Either deal with bosses or birds. Life sucks

Ass-penny

hmmmm

*pulls out phone and types in "forest clearings near me"*

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Let the owls have me, I look forward to my final, pelletized form

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

rear end-penny posted:

hmmmm

*pulls out phone and types in "forest clearings near me"*

:same:

Ass-penny

I fuckin close tonight.

owls take me now

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

owls why have you forsaken me

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Have you tried covering yourself in dead mice?

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

more falafel please posted:

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

xcheopis

Zil posted:

Have you tried covering yourself in dead mice?

You want live mice to attract owls.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Truly, the owls are not what they seem

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm on coffee cup #3 and still feel half dead

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
coworker in the office next to mine just tested positive for covid.

welp :goleft:

----------------

Ass-penny

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

that's rough yo. you going to get tested soon?

I need to go to work here in a few and I'm not about it.

cruft

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

gently caress.

Hope you got your 5G upgrade, orb.

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rear end-penny posted:

that's rough yo. you going to get tested soon?

I need to go to work here in a few and I'm not about it.

gonna. already had both shots but i ain't loving around with this delta variant.

----------------

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
The first week of classes is over for me, very front-loaded into Monday and Tuesday and I decided that if I'm going to wear nice professor clothes and makeup for two days I might as well record video for my asynchronous classes at the same time. So now I just get to sit here and read comics for the rest of the week, which I'm fine with.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
What do you guys snack on at work? I've found since working mostly in an office, I get kinda snacky throughout the day.
I'm tired of, like, bananas and granola bars and junk food though

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Sliced cucumbers/tiny tomatoes/celery sticks in easily edible with fingers form; a dip (I like that vegan yogurt dill dip from Aldi but like, you can come up with whatever). Nut Thins are delicious but higher in fat than I like so I limit myself on those. Pickled radish (mu) cubes are great bc you can eat them for sweet/salty/sour/crunchy alone or to kind of cut any richness in dip or cheese or crackers or nuts. Big fan of lightly salted mixed nuts and dried mango, too. Apple slices.

xcheopis

Eden spicy pumpkin seeds. Seapoint Farms edamame seeds, both wasabi and sea salt flavours.

cruft

I have a gigantic container of goldfish crackers, but I've lost 6 pounds so far by basically shifting my snackin' to spicy water.

Meant to post about this in the brag thread.

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Second coworker in other office next to me came up positive for Covid.

They closed up shop until Monday and made everyone get tested with that rapid response test. For what it's worth, I came up negative. Working from home in the mean time.

cruft

Today I tabled the important deadline I was hoping to work on so that I could drive in to the datacenter and rack five switches, as a favor to one of my employees who lives 45 minutes away (I live 8 minutes away).

There's something very satisfying for me about setting things up all neat and tidy.

Now I get to go back to the web site migration from Hugo to Eleventy.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

They closed up shop until Monday and made everyone get tested with that rapid response test. For what it's worth, I came up negative. Working from home in the mean time.

Stay safe, my friend; please get a long test as well and check in with your doctor/anyone you've had contact with to let them know you are vaxxed but were exposed.

I hate the way people are handling this. Christ.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Stay safe, my friend; please get a long test as well and check in with your doctor/anyone you've had contact with to let them know you are vaxxed but were exposed.

I hate the way people are handling this. Christ.

We (all humanity) are handling this so much better than we've ever handled any prior pandemic.

So much better.

It's good to think we could do better still, but don't get all bummed out just because of a lack of perspective!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

jesus christ. stay safe Gene Hackman Fan.