Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
2018 Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861071
2019 Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892360
2020 Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948419

Year 4 of keeping track of draft predictions, and frankly I am surprised this big dumb forum is still going. I started this thread a little later that usual, so we got Summer League to make everyone think Davion Mitchell is going to be a star. This year we get a fullish offseason to actually get guys up to speed, and a full 82 games with normal breaks to not destroy their bodies and spirits. So lets make some terrible predictions!

Note this is for the 2021 Draft class, so guys selected this year (regardless if they'll play or not)

THE PREDICTIONS

Which 8 players will have the best career (regardless of draft position)(note if you are ordering or not, and its more fun if you do)

Which 3 guys taken in the lottery (top 14) will bust?

Which 3 players outside the lottery (top 14) will have the best career?

ROY Prediction (feel free to put up to your top 3 in order)

Who will win the MCW award for best rookie numbers despite being bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Which 8 players will have the best career (regardless of draft position)(note if you are ordering or not, and its more fun if you do)
Tiered:

Cade Cunningham -
I'm a bit worried about his ability to score at an elite level in the NBA, but he's going to do everything else so well. He might be one of those guys who misses deserved all-NBA because he's averaging under 20 a game. He's the only guy I see what I'd be surprised if he doesn't make an all-star game.

---
Jalen Green, Jalen Suggs, Barnes, Mobley

All hoopers. Basically this tier is guys who I think will score in the NBA while doing other stuff well.

Mobley needs time to get his body to be NBA ready. He'll probably have a bad rookie season but then be better.

----
Bouknight, Sengun, Mitchell
Bouknightt will take some time but I think he's got a really good game. Sengun I am overvaluing due to his summer league play but he looks like a versatile big on offense and defense and those guys are always cool.
Mitchell was an odd pick as high as he was, but he'll be around the NBA a long time as a defensive guard who can shoot. So high aav, but probably a low ceiling.

Primo
Giddey
Wagner

Sengun
Trey Murphy
Cam Thomas

Cade Cunningham
Jalen Green
Scottie Barnes

Mitchell if the Kings give him a ton of rope
Maybe Mobley just because he'll be pushed around but still good enough to get minutes and the ball.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Lockback posted:

THE PREDICTIONS

Ordered

Mobley
Green
Cade
Suggs
Şengün
Murphy III
Ziaire
Primo

Wagner
Giddey
Barnes

Şengün
Murphy III
Bones

Mobley
Green
Cade

There is only one possible candidate, that is Cam Thomas

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ordered:
Cade
Green
Mobley
Giddey
Duarte
Suggs
Sengun
Jones

Wagner
Williams
Bouknight

Garuba
Sengun
J Johnson

Green
Cade
Mobley

Kuminga

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ordered

Cade Cunningham
Evan Mobley
Jalen Green
Jalen Suggs
Moses Moody
Ziaire Williams
Jalen Johnson
Jaden Springer

Scottie Barnes
Josh Primo
James Bouknight

Jalen Johnson
Jaden Springer
Trey Murphy III

(bonus: Sharife, Sengun, Bones)

Cade
Green
Duarte

Cam Thomas or Bouknight

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Which 8 players will have the best career

Orderr
Cade
Mobley
Green
Suggs
Moody
Wagner
Bones
Springer

Barnes
Giddey
Primo

Bones
Springer
Sengun

Cade
Green
Moody

Cam Thomas, but I will continually insist that hes actually good

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Which 8 players will have the best career

Order
Green
Mobley
Cade
Suggs
Moody
Trey Murphy
Wagner
Sengun

Ziaire
Mitchell
Kuminga (but he will bust for Philadelphia not GS)

Trey Murphy
Sengun
Springer

Green
Mobley
Cade

Chris Duarte

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Which 8 players will have the best career (unordered)
Bones
Mobley
Green
Cade
Suggs
Murphey
Barnes
Primo (giving Spurs credit)

Primo (not giving Spurs credit)
[Have not done the work to do anything but guess and I won't do that for anyone else in this category]

Bones
Sengun
Murphy

Cade
Green
Barnes

Giddey (although I am only saying bad next year I have long term belief in him)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I feel like there is a lot more consensus this year. More obvious predictions, better scouting or are we just melding our opinions more?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cade
-----‐----------
Mobley
----------------
Giddey
Suggs
----------------
Sengun
----------------
Kai
Moody
Barnes

Kuminga
Green
Bouknight (killed by mj)

Sengun
Kai
Mann

Cade
Mobley
Suggs

Green

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

I feel like there is a lot more consensus this year. More obvious predictions, better scouting or are we just melding our opinions more?

I didn’t have enough time deep dive this year so I am trusting y’all, summer league and podcasters.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cade Cunningham
-
Jalen Green
-
Alperen Sengun
Jalen Suggs
Scottie Barnes
-
Evan Mobley
Moses Moody
Josh Giddey

Jonathan Kuminga
Franz Wagner
Ziaire Williams

Alperen Sengun
Kai Jones
JT Thor

Jalen Suggs
Jalen Green
Scottie Barnes

Cam Thomas

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Any reason why so many are predicting Wagner to bust? It wasn't only MV who was solid on him there were lots of others but now everyone is out on him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Any reason why so many are predicting Wagner to bust? It wasn't only MV who was solid on him there were lots of others but now everyone is out on him.

Honestly to me the lottery looked more solid that usual, so it was harder to pick someone out. With Wagner I think he'll have a hard time finding a role on the offensive side, and I don't know if his defense will be good enough to keep him afloat. He was real mediocre from 3 and even though his FT% was real good I just don't see how he scores. I don't think his passing/handling is elite enough to buoy up the rest of this.

I also really don't like his hit in Orlando. If he was on a more established team where his role can be more defined I might feel different, but at #8 I don't have much confidence that he won't struggle.

All that said, for me it was more about picking 3 people from the lottery. I am not all that convinced he's doing to fail or anything. I just think he's a guy who has to make adjustments vs his position and it may be a challenge.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For me, it's a combination of things.

First up is simply that I just don't think his ceiling is all that high, compared to a lot of the guys not just in the top 10, but like, the top 20-25 players. There's definitely space for him to be an above average rotation player, maybe even a solid starter, if things align just so, but---

---I don't see how this happens in Orlando. He'll get some time early, but Orlando has guys that do what he does, only better. Or at least, guys that don't do lots of the things he also does not do. Orlando, as a team, seems to be allergic to offense. (As an aside, this is also why I think Suggs will win RotY; of the players who were actually in the NBA last year, the lead scorer currently on the Magic was Terrence Ross coming in at just under the scorching hot figure of 16 a game. Suggs hasn't played a real game, and is already the team's primary offensive threat by default.) So for Wagner to really stick out, he needs to not just play defense, but also find a way to contribute on the offensive end.

Which leads to my third point: he didn't really step up on offense in the Summer League. I almost (almost, I said) would have preferred him jacking up more shots and finishing with a worse percentage. How unwatchable is this team going to be?

With those factors at work, I think by the time he might normally have developed the experience to be a decent NBA player, people will have already forgotten about him. The other thing is, this draft class looks really good. Wagner's just a guy I can see falling through the cracks.

Which I guess is more or less what Lockback said.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

He looked bad in summer league and his offensive stats are eh, but I also think summer league is a bad showcase for the stuff he's good at. He's not a gunner almost to a fault and really great team defense doesn't flash in a environment where most people don't care about D.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Lockback posted:

2018 Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861071
2019 Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892360
2020 Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948419

Year 4 of keeping track of draft predictions, and frankly I am surprised this big dumb forum is still going. I started this thread a little later that usual, so we got Summer League to make everyone think Davion Mitchell is going to be a star. This year we get a fullish offseason to actually get guys up to speed, and a full 82 games with normal breaks to not destroy their bodies and spirits. So lets make some terrible predictions!

Note this is for the 2021 Draft class, so guys selected this year (regardless if they'll play or not)

THE PREDICTIONS

(all in order)

Top 8
Cade
Mobley
Green
Suggs
Giddey
Segun
Moody
Thor

Lotto Busts
Kuminga
Williams
Barnes (I don't care how gritty he is, I still think he's MKG/Winslow part 2)

Non-Lotto Careers
Sengun
Thor
Springer

ROY
Green
Mobley
Cade

MCW Award
Green -- I'm half expecting him to have the Tyreke Evans year where he does 20/5/5 on some astonishingly bad shooting efficiency.

Going to propose another award if people are interested-- The Anthony Randolph Award for the guy who has fool's gold potential so high that people will talk about him like a rookie who just needs a chance until year 5/6 of not developing--he never puts up stats, never puts it together, and ends up out of the league. I would put Kuminga forward as the favorite for that with other candidates being Barnes, Kai Brown, or Greg Jones off the top of my head.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think Kuminga is a good bet for that award, although I will say it looks like he has taken a step forward from G league to SL. Or maybe that's just the SL talent being sub G league.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I think Wagner is going to be a good rotation player. He understands modern team defense, he handles the ball and has good hands in transition, he rebounds, and he is still growing. If his outside shot develops at all (it should given his free throw percentage), he will be a keeper.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

predicto posted:

I think Wagner is going to be a good rotation player. He understands modern team defense, he handles the ball and has good hands in transition, he rebounds, and he is still growing. If his outside shot develops at all (it should given his free throw percentage), he will be a keeper.

His brother has shown steady improvement on his shot and put up a very respectable .372 on 3.9 3pa for Orlando once they picked him up. It did take him a couple years to get there, but he’s also worse than Franz in every way

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People I know who follow high school aged stuff are all convinced Franz is a great shooter so that combined with the free throw percentage still has me pretty high on the shot. The form is good and he definitely flashes the ability to make deep shots and has stretches where he looks great, he just hasn't been consistent and is too hesitant.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This will be my worst showing in the last few years because I didn't get to watch summer league

But here goes

Cade Cunningham
Evan Mobley
Jalen Suggs
josh giddey
alperen sengun
jalen johnson
zaire willams
franz wagner

Scottie Barnes
johnathon kuminga
james bouknight

sengun
kai jones
josh christopher

Cade
Jalen Green
Jalen Johnson

Bouknight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Ordered

Cunningham
Mobley
Green
Barnes
Sengun
Ziaire Williams
Grimes
Kuminga

Mitchell
Primo
Wagner

Sengun
Kai Jones
Thor

Green
Mobley
Cunningham

Kispert