Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

boquiabierta posted:

You have an opportunity to try to make them realize by setting this boundary. It’s their choice not to get vaxxed. You’re being completely reasonable to not allow your kids to see anyone who isn’t vaxxed.

They won’t realize it if I set the boundary; they will continue to assert it’s me that is wrong and I’m keeping their grandchildren from them because of my “false” views on covid. But it won’t make them see they are being irresponsible. I’ve given up on that fight, it’s the same as arguing politics on Facebook. So it comes down to, enforce a boundary like this or don’t. If it comes to that I absolutely will. There used to be a time I was more of a people pleaser and that’s still my tendency but my wife and children are my family and they and their welfare come first, and in therapy and medication I’ve lost most of my qualms with trying to keep the peace and please people who are only pleased if I do what they want me to do and how they want me to do it.

Basically, I love them and am concerned for their health, and it saddens me they won’t get vaccinated. But I’m over trying to convince them of anything and I stopped trying when Trump took office in 2016…my family’s health comes first, especially my children. I won’t endanger their health to please people who refuse to get vaccinated, even if I love those people despite themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

life is killing me posted:

They won’t realize it if I set the boundary; they will continue to assert it’s me that is wrong and I’m keeping their grandchildren from them because of my “false” views on covid. But it won’t make them see they are being irresponsible. I’ve given up on that fight, it’s the same as arguing politics on Facebook. So it comes down to, enforce a boundary like this or don’t. If it comes to that I absolutely will. There used to be a time I was more of a people pleaser and that’s still my tendency but my wife and children are my family and they and their welfare come first, and in therapy and medication I’ve lost most of my qualms with trying to keep the peace and please people who are only pleased if I do what they want me to do and how they want me to do it.

Basically, I love them and am concerned for their health, and it saddens me they won’t get vaccinated. But I’m over trying to convince them of anything and I stopped trying when Trump took office in 2016…my family’s health comes first, especially my children. I won’t endanger their health to please people who refuse to get vaccinated, even if I love those people despite themselves.

*standing ovation* They’re your kids, you have every right to protect them. If your parents refuse to see their grandkids because they won’t get a vaccine, that is on them. It might hurt, or be a pain in the rear end, but you need to look out for you and your kids. If you set a boundary and they get mad, the way they react is entirely up to them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

When do babies get better at sleeping on their backs? She is 3 months as of yesterday. Last night was probably one of the most miserable nights I've had since the first week she was born. Tried to put her to bed around 8:30, screaming etc until 1 am, slept 1 to 5, woke to nurse but now refuses to get back in her basinette. Every time I put her down in it she could be dead to the world, floppy armed asleep on me or in my arms, and then shakes herself back awake between 5-10 minutes later if not sooner. I feel helpless and like I don't know how to do this at all.

The reason they want the baby to sleep on their back, is that they won't sleep as deeply. That's the whole point. If you can't get into deep sleep, your primitive infant brain can't forget to breathe. It's in the peer reviewed papers that "back is best" is based on

Babies sleep on their stomach as soon as they can roll over not because they get stuck there, but because they sleep a lot better

Pray your baby learns to roll over soon. For us it was about 4 months and now she sleeps like the dead

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

You're in the right. They're morons. It's going to suck to set that boundary, but it's 100% within your rights. gently caress anyone who doesn't understand that. Our rules are simple: vaccinated and not sick? you can come to our house. Wash your hands once you're here? You can touch my kid. Anything to the contrary: We'll talk, socially distanced, outside; or you can leave. Simple.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

They will under no circumstances get vaccinated. They want to see their grandchildren, but not enough that they are willing to put in their veins what they believe is basically poison

I had to set a boundary with my mom not seeing / talking to my kids. This was 2 years ago pre-covid. I'm sure if I was still talking to her now she'd be doing some bullshit over vaccines and masks.

It sucks and it's rough to have to do it. I feel really horrible (and horrible for my kids) that grandma chose lovely stupid strangers over her grandkids. She texts me every so often (I never respond) telling me how much she loves me and the kids. No, you loving don't.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The lovely thing is, my mom is passive-aggressive and weeks go by where I don’t hear a peep from her. Like, I find myself wishing she’d at least ask if she can come see her grandchildren, but it appears she is still waiting on me to invite her. She lives twenty minutes from us.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hadlock posted:

The reason they want the baby to sleep on their back, is that they won't sleep as deeply. That's the whole point. If you can't get into deep sleep, your primitive infant brain can't forget to breathe. It's in the peer reviewed papers that "back is best" is based on

Babies sleep on their stomach as soon as they can roll over not because they get stuck there, but because they sleep a lot better

Pray your baby learns to roll over soon. For us it was about 4 months and now she sleeps like the dead

Thank you for this, I had no idea that was the reason. Fingers crossed she starts rolling soon.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I really, really hope one of these days the ogre toddler will stop trying to kill himself.

If he's not getting so frustrated over something that he's biting his lip and bleeding he's zooming about climbing up the kitchen chairs and on to the table.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I finally wore my parents down and convinced them to get the vaccine…it took about an hour of patiently debunking all of my mom’s fears and I think what ultimately got to her was when I explained that as a new mom I had to assess the risk, and I have a responsibility to keep my kid safe. And that means not being around unvaccinated people. My dad swore at me but for once in my life I grew and spine and made it super clear that they would not meet their grandchild unvaccinated.
I hate that this turned into such a loving ordeal and my sympathies to anyone still dealing with stubborn relatives.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Well, we just got unenrolled from preschool. :cry:

Our 2.5 year old has been rocking some heavy separation anxiety her whole life since Mom has always been there for her, especially through the pandemic. She's been going a couple days a week to a preschool near our house for the last month and a half and we knew it was a rough adjustment, but the teachers kept assuring us she was getting better. But today we got a "we need to talk" text from the main teacher who met us outside before picking our kid up.

Apparently she is just not handling such a large program well; too many other kids are spooking her and she gets confused about forming attachments to teachers who work in shifts. The teacher says everyone loves her and she's a smart, empathetic kid, but she's "white knuckling it all day" and all the teachers agree it would be better for her to go to a smaller program. So we were told in very kind but very firm terms that today was her last day, and our tuition was refunded by the time we got home.

This is crushing for us, not the least because we have no idea where we're going to find a smaller preschool that isn't already full. ("Try calling 211" was the only advice the teacher gave to us after she kicked us out.) We were basically at our wits' end earlier this year and were hanging on to our sanity by our fingertips while we waited for the summer program to start. This is going to destroy my wife.

I just signed up on Peanut yesterday after you all pumped it up, so maybe we'll see how that goes.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
That seems really hosed up that they would just drop childcare without any consultation with you or heads up to arrange an alternative.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nessa posted:

Yes, once baby can roll over on their own, they are strong enough to roll themselves back if they need to, or turn their head.

My baby loves sleeping on her stomach as soon as she gets a chance to.

Lol now that our kid is rolling and crawling he very often sleeps on his stomach with his knees tucked under him, bum in the air, face planted into the mattress. Apparently that's comfortable?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Eggnogium posted:

That seems really hosed up that they would just drop childcare without any consultation with you or heads up to arrange an alternative.

Yeah, especially since we had been in pretty close communication all month, and I've been anxiously asking "please let us know if there's anything we can do to help her adjust" because I knew in my gut from day one that this was gonna happen. And they just kept saying "it's a rough transition but she's getting better".

I get why they did it. From their status updates, it sounds like she needed a ton of direct supervision and individual attention, which they probably can't spare. But it still sucks.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
poo poo like that is why we've been so happy with our daycare's key teacher attachment model. The ex-owner did her PhD on early childhood attachments and built her centre around this key teacher model where there are 4-5 child "buddy/family" groups with a single key teacher and that teacher has a "buddy teacher" who covers their breaks. The whole point is to allow children to form consistent bonds with the same teacher and to prevent kids that are quieter getting "lost" in the rowdiness of everyone else when teachers are watching a mass of children rather than just focusing on their core group. Our son absolutely thrived and his teacher cried when he went to the big kid room.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

wizzardstaff posted:

Yeah, especially since we had been in pretty close communication all month, and I've been anxiously asking "please let us know if there's anything we can do to help her adjust" because I knew in my gut from day one that this was gonna happen. And they just kept saying "it's a rough transition but she's getting better".

I get why they did it. From their status updates, it sounds like she needed a ton of direct supervision and individual attention, which they probably can't spare. But it still sucks.

That sucks so bad, I’m sorry. FWIW I have a friend whose son got kicked out of daycare for being too anxious, and now a couple years later he has adjusted just fine, you’d never know he had terrible separation anxiety (pre-pandemic). Good luck finding a new place. Does your city have a Facebook page for finding childcare resources?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

hallo spacedog posted:

When do babies get better at sleeping on their backs? She is 3 months as of yesterday. Last night was probably one of the most miserable nights I've had since the first week she was born. Tried to put her to bed around 8:30, screaming etc until 1 am, slept 1 to 5, woke to nurse but now refuses to get back in her basinette. Every time I put her down in it she could be dead to the world, floppy armed asleep on me or in my arms, and then shakes herself back awake between 5-10 minutes later if not sooner. I feel helpless and like I don't know how to do this at all.

Are you swaddling? I've definitely found that our 2mo will wake herself up with uncontrollably flapping limbs if she's not constrained somehow. We don't proper swaddle with the blanket and all - largely because we never figured it out, really - but stuff like this or this make a big difference.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Are you swaddling? I've definitely found that our 2mo will wake herself up with uncontrollably flapping limbs if she's not constrained somehow. We don't proper swaddle with the blanket and all - largely because we never figured it out, really - but stuff like this or this make a big difference.

Since the day she came home from the hospital she has been impossible to swaddle. We had swaddlers like yours from my sister's baby but doing it will make her scream bloody murder. So I gave up and have used an arms free sleep sack thing instead. But she does flail herself awake like yours does unfortunately.

I ended up letting her nurse laying down in my bed, so she fell asleep while I stay awake, then moving her to hers. All cosleep precautions taken for good measure but I stayed awake because I am too afraid to cosleep. I managed about 2-3 hr. Decided to move into my mom's house starting Sunday so I can get some help.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

hallo spacedog posted:

I ended up letting her nurse laying down in my bed, so she fell asleep while I stay awake, then moving her to hers. All cosleep precautions taken for good measure but I stayed awake because I am too afraid to cosleep. I managed about 2-3 hr. Decided to move into my mom's house starting Sunday so I can get some help.

That actually sounds exactly like how we solved it. I don't think it's uncommon or dangerous.

Did you mean you managed 2-3 hours of sleep the whole night, or per session?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The daycare chat has me worried about our plague child when we start next month. He'll be 21 months old and has spent it with us WFH or in-house sitters. Hope the montessori place is prepared for a hellion running around yanking things off shelves and trying to leap off furniture.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

citybeatnik posted:

The daycare chat has me worried about our plague child when we start next month. He'll be 21 months old and has spent it with us WFH or in-house sitters. Hope the montessori place is prepared for a hellion running around yanking things off shelves and trying to leap off furniture.

If it helps- our 26mo (at the time she started a couple months ago) has really flourished at daycare. I think the variety and structure has been really good for her. We had the same kind of care- wfh/in-home grandma- during the height of the pandemic, and she’s adjusted well. It’s made a big difference in her time at home as well as in our ability to be more refreshed and focused parents.

A bunch of this cohort are dealing with the same thing, so the teachers are aware of it and really leaning into socializing them.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That actually sounds exactly like how we solved it. I don't think it's uncommon or dangerous.

Did you mean you managed 2-3 hours of sleep the whole night, or per session?

2-3 the whole night. If it had been per session it would feel more reasonable.
I also might have slept a little more in the am but I became extremely anxious suddenly and then the baby pooped herself awake about two hours earlier than we normally get up.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

hallo spacedog posted:

2-3 the whole night. If it had been per session it would feel more reasonable.
I also might have slept a little more in the am but I became extremely anxious suddenly and then the baby pooped herself awake about two hours earlier than we normally get up.

That’s rough. Hopefully your mom can take a few shifts so you can catch up on sleep. With my first I only slept 2 hours a night for several weeks and I’m honestly surprised I didn’t end up with psychosis, but it was Not Good and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Do you do anything for anxiety? I had severe PP anxiety with my first, going on meds helped tremendously.

Have you tried putting her on her side and elevating the head of the mattress? It works great for my son, who will also flail himself into a tizzy if he’s on his back.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Koivunen posted:

That’s rough. Hopefully your mom can take a few shifts so you can catch up on sleep. With my first I only slept 2 hours a night for several weeks and I’m honestly surprised I didn’t end up with psychosis, but it was Not Good and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Do you do anything for anxiety? I had severe PP anxiety with my first, going on meds helped tremendously.

Have you tried putting her on her side and elevating the head of the mattress? It works great for my son, who will also flail himself into a tizzy if he’s on his back.

I forgot to thank you for that idea and photos yesterday. I'm going to get my husband to help me set this up to see how it goes tonight. I try to handle all the night time stuff on my own because he works in construction and I'm always worried that if he is too sleep deprived he could get injured or die.

I will try calling my doctor about meds as I am not on anything. I take meds for ADHD and depression that I have been off of since March 2020 when we were trying for the baby so my quality of life wrt my mental health feels pretty low right now. The anxiety probably effects me a lot as I am always terrified about various stuff going wrong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can someone recommend a toy that, I dunno, I guess the baby pushes a button and it plays a 20-45 second song for them

Baby currently has a toy that will do this, but a complex series of button pushes is required, and even I can't figure out how to do it reliably

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hadlock posted:

Can someone recommend a toy that, I dunno, I guess the baby pushes a button and it plays a 20-45 second song for them

Baby currently has a toy that will do this, but a complex series of button pushes is required, and even I can't figure out how to do it reliably

My sister gave me an older version of this.. It literally has one big button to press and plays like short classical tunes.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hadlock posted:

My baby has the Vtech Soothe and Glow Elephant and this penguin. https://cornershopapp.com/en-ca/products/te0p-danawares-purple-penguin-light-up-musical-plush-1-unit

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

hallo spacedog posted:

My sister gave me an older version of this.. It literally has one big button to press and plays like short classical tunes.

We have a version of that too, not sure if it's older or newer or what. It was ordered for us by a friend who said "it's the only musical toy that we didn't hate" and dang it she was right.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

wizzardstaff posted:

We have a version of that too, not sure if it's older or newer or what. It was ordered for us by a friend who said "it's the only musical toy that we didn't hate" and dang it she was right.

My kid also loved this as a baby

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

hallo spacedog posted:

Both our kids loved this as babies, and still play with it at 3 and 5.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

hallo spacedog posted:

Agreed/this was good for both our kids.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

hallo spacedog posted:

They have an ancient, beat up one of these at PT and they call it their magic toy because all the babies love it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Just chiming in to say we've got one too. Before I clicked the link I thought "I bet I know what would work gre- oh. Yeah. That thing rules."

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Apparently they only ship these out of one warehouse and the minimum order is quite high

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have any recommendations for quality (K)N95 masks available in the US that'll fit a kindergartener?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Vida has the only FDA approved registered kids KN95 and they are backordered and expensive. Right now the wait to even have a product to ship is 2-3 weeks.

A friend and I went halfsies on a bigger set for the discount. Even if we don't use them for school, wildfire smoke is basically a seasonal occurrence in CA anyway. Our school just sent out surveys asking who needs their chromebooks if they have to cancel class for air quality because recess and lunch can't be indoors because covid. A great time to be a parent.

1up fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 21, 2021

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hadlock posted:

Apparently they only ship these out of one warehouse and the minimum order is quite high

Can probably find it on Amazon. I have 3 because people would not stop gifting them to us.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Renegret posted:

Can probably find it on Amazon. I have 3 because people would not stop gifting them to us.

I think they were actually taking about kn95 masks, quoted the wrong post.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 22, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

hooah posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for quality (K)N95 masks available in the US that'll fit a kindergartener?

Mine uses Bluna or Posh kf94s from behealthyusa.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

hooah posted:

TBH I wouldn't bother with a KN95 for a kid under 10. They require a very good fit to have the filtering effect, and even if you get it to fit in the morning, it's not likely to stay that way. Might as well use the most comfortable surgical mask you can find, then, since the filtering goes down to basically 0 once air leaks in at the sides.

Ninja edit: I guess what I'm saying is, IMO, masks for little ones are mostly about source control, not protecting the wearer, and surgical masks work fine for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Any reading suggestions for starting potty training?