Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Got interesting info about development for the game Apparently Shoka took Tsugumi's role in the plot, Kanon was in Ayano's role as a Reaper that was Shoka's older sister type, and Ayano was a player. Nagi originally had a sword

Also apparently Coco is physically on the older side of Reapers being Biologically 19. (Reapers don't age apparently)

That explains a lot about why Tsugumi has been showing up in teasers for years but then honestly had a pretty minor role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

That explains a lot about why Tsugumi has been showing up in teasers for years but then honestly had a pretty minor role.

She also made a brief cameo in A New Day back in the Switch version of the first game so clearly they were probably planning on doing more with her than they actually did.

Out of curiosity, where did this development info come from?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

She also made a brief cameo in A New Day back in the Switch version of the first game so clearly they were probably planning on doing more with her than they actually did.

Out of curiosity, where did this development info come from?

The artbook released in Japan. It also lets you know which of the three character designers (Tetsuya Nomura, Gen Kobayashi, and Miki Yamashita) was responsible for a given character!

Nomura was responsible for Kubo's design, which absolutely kills me. You tell someone to imagine a Tetsuya Nomura character design, Kubo is the absolute last thing they would think of, I think.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rea posted:

The artbook released in Japan. It also lets you know which of the three character designers (Tetsuya Nomura, Gen Kobayashi, and Miki Yamashita) was responsible for a given character!

Nomura was responsible for Kubo's design, which absolutely kills me. You tell someone to imagine a Tetsuya Nomura character design, Kubo is the absolute last thing they would think of, I think.

... but... where are the belts?

Kubo isn't even wearing a belt where people normally wear belts!!!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
If anyone's curious, here's a list of who did what.

quote:

Tetsuya Nomura
* Rindo
* NEO Neku
* Tsugumi
* Shoka
* Kubo
* Hazuki
* NEO Joshua

Gen Kobayashi
* Fret
* NEO Beat
* Susukichi
* Motoi
* Shiba
* Ayano
* Hishima

Miki Yamashita
* Nagi
* NEO Minamimoto
* Kanon
* Fuya
* NEO Kariya
* NEO Uzuki
* NEO Coco
* Kaie
* NEO Shiki
* NEO Rhyme

I find it interesting how the new character designer, Yamashita, was given the bulk of the returning character designs.

Spoilers related to a specific design: Apparently Nomura was asked to make a final boss-y Angel design, for which he created Hazuki. His comments in the artbook imply he's kind of disappointed you don't actually fight the guy in the final game. :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Supremezero posted:

... but... where are the belts?

Kubo isn't even wearing a belt where people normally wear belts!!!

In fact, he's probably the most normal looking guy out of all of them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Kubo’s the one major character whose design I could see actually existing in reality.

Maybe that’s the gimmick with Angels? Because Hanekoma was the same way

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, Kubo’s the one major character whose design I could see actually existing in reality.

Maybe that’s the gimmick with Angels? Because Hanekoma was the same way

Likely, Josh and Haz look like normal guys as well for that matter

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Rindo and Neku with their Jupiter of the monkey outfits were based on Speak no Evil and Hear no Evil. If we get a third game, I guess the protagonist would be See no Evil.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Rindo and Neku with their Jupiter of the monkey outfits were based on Speak no Evil and Hear no Evil. If we get a third game, I guess the protagonist would be See no Evil.

Not sure how that could work design wise though (an eyepatch or a hood maybe?)

Speaking of I forget, do we ever see Rindo actually wear his mask or is it always pulled down?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Not sure how that could work design wise though (an eyepatch or a hood maybe?)

Speaking of I forget, do we ever see Rindo actually wear his mask or is it always pulled down?
As for how shades of some kind could easily work.

Rindo wears his mask at the very start when we first see him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

As for how shades of some kind could easily work.

Rindo wears his mask at the very start when we first see him.

Oh yeah, but it’s not really as much of a thing as Neku’s headphones overall

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
sunglasses

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
TWEWY 3: Starring Marvel Comics' Daredevil

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The TWEWY 3 main character is blind but can see using his/her Psych (so Daredevil basically as mentioned above)

On another note, they should resurrect Suzy K in the next one and make him a party member (I would also accept Nagi and/or Fret returning). Additionally, Minamimoto should remain the one constant throughout the entire franchise.

Also it might be cool to have a female main protagonist next time.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 20, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Larryb posted:

The TWEWY 3 main character is blind but can seen using his/her Psych (so Daredevil basically as mentioned above)

Also it might be cool to have a female main protagonist next time.

MKN protagonist

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As for returning OG cast in a potential third game, how about finally letting Rhyme see some action? Making Uzuki and/or Kariya playable could be cool as well.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I could take “see no evil” to literally mean that a hypothetical third protagonist starts off the story being insanely gullible and trusting.

Or conversely, they start off basically only able to see the absolute worst in people, and the story is all about them gradually coming around.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Dang it, is the difficulty curve for this game way above the levelling curve or have I just messed up my stats? Earlier on I could do stuff on Hard with a -1 adjustment at 2-3 chains. But I had to turn the final Susukichi down to Easy for hitting him to not be mining with a toothpick and on the final day field noise is owning me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Eat more, use better pins, and make sure you aren't wearing the pants that lower your attack.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hyphz posted:

Dang it, is the difficulty curve for this game way above the levelling curve or have I just messed up my stats? Earlier on I could do stuff on Hard with a -1 adjustment at 2-3 chains. But I had to turn the final Susukichi down to Easy for hitting him to not be mining with a toothpick and on the final day field noise is owning me.

Level literally only adjusts your HP. You should be able to do most stuff in the game at a considerable lowered level (and eventually if you go for drops you wanna do everything on like level 1). The game does have difficulty spikes though, I did struggle with the boss you mentioned as well as the next one on Hard the first time through. Rather than worrying about your level make sure your stats and pins are as good as they can be. By endgame you have a lot of firepower at your disposal and the game expects you to make good use of it.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Wow, I just bullied the crap out of the W2D7 boss. I don't think they even managed to get a single hit in on me. I still had character dialogue running over the end screen static.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I give up :negative:

I found two of the three missing pins but still can't find the Axion I need. I wanted to 100% so bad but I'm burned out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I found two of the three missing pins but still can't find the Axion I need. I wanted to 100% so bad but I'm burned out.

There can't be that many Axion possibilities surely?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The material pins are found in a specific week. Axions are exclusive to week 1.

Maybe try handling the Scramble Slam differently? I don't remember if it has rewards for dealing with Deep Rivers first or last.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, if you don’t deal with them first, it’s tighter to get the top score IIRC

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I did that one before making the post actually, then checked all the reaper gates on day 7 and played through all of day 2 and most of 3 again.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I was missing an Axion for ages, and I eventually found it in W1D5 for doing all the Deep River stuff to distract everyone.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh yeah there are 5 instances of that. If any of the time travel points aren't blacked out, you missed something.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm pretty sure I did everything first time around as I never progress unless the button sets me on 'change my fate' but I'll give it another shot, who knowsss

E: That was it! I never did Buddy Rapids or thought I did so was missing that one point. I'm freee

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 22, 2021

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Sometimes the button will set you to "change our fate" when there's still some optional stuff available to do.

Glad you found it!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Regy Rusty posted:

Level literally only adjusts your HP. You should be able to do most stuff in the game at a considerable lowered level (and eventually if you go for drops you wanna do everything on like level 1). The game does have difficulty spikes though, I did struggle with the boss you mentioned as well as the next one on Hard the first time through. Rather than worrying about your level make sure your stats and pins are as good as they can be. By endgame you have a lot of firepower at your disposal and the game expects you to make good use of it.

Ah, I thought the stat maxes were 200 like I think I were in the original? And didn't realize how low I was.

Ok, back to a bit of having a bunch of teenagers beat random things up in the Scramble Crossing and then drink black coffee in Starbucks until they're totally wired..

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

hyphz posted:

Ah, I thought the stat maxes were 200 like I think I were in the original? And didn't realize how low I was.

Ok, back to a bit of having a bunch of teenagers beat random things up in the Scramble Crossing and then drink black coffee in Starbucks until they're totally wired..

Maxes were 100 for attack and defense, but hp and bravery were way up at 9999 and 999

Meanwhile in Neo HP/Attack/Defense/Style are 999/500/500/300.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So how many years until we get a new 7 more days teaser with a random character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So how many years until we get a new 7 more days teaser with a random character.

Well it took about 15 years for the first game just to get one sequel so who knows at this point.

Speaking of, I wonder if this game will eventually get its own Final Mix edition like the first one did.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 23, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Based on the amount of data ripping and modding you can do with even the console versions, when the PC version comes out - unless it's heavily locked down - it'd be feasible to write custom chapters. There's also evidence of some scope for DLC - there's space for at least three more party characters in some of the data.

That said, I'm getting nearer the ending now and it's starting to feel bodged. What is it with modern storytelling and the idea of a clickbait mystery followed by a weak ending? First we have Susukichi planning to protect the Wicked Twisters, then when they don't comply, trying to erase them instead of just telling them about his plan. I like to think he must be facepalming on the game over screen if you lose to Cervus Cantus. And then, while I could just about buy mobile phones working in the UG, the idea of using mundane hacking to be able to contact the UG from the RG? What, so the UG has a deal with Verizon to have a separate channel, and the separation is just software on their servers?

And yes, we're going to deal with the surprise bit of the ending, but I'm not going to forget that you still haven't explained how using the Ruinbringers to loop the game was going to help Shiba.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hyphz posted:

Based on the amount of data ripping and modding you can do with even the console versions, when the PC version comes out - unless it's heavily locked down - it'd be feasible to write custom chapters. There's also evidence of some scope for DLC - there's space for at least three more party characters in some of the data.

That’d be interesting but I’m not sure how it’d work since there are only 6 pin slots maximum and every button on the controller except maybe the d-pad is already mapped to a specific action (though I suppose they could give you the option to swap out party members like you can with Minamimoto in Another Day)

However, there are pins that use the R2 and L2 buttons (or their equivalent on the Switch) so you could potentially add at least two more slots if you wanted to.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 23, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Switch version already has everything but the D-pad mapped to pins, dodging, or activating your combo, though.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
It's probably party member options more than people you can have at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
You could just stack multiple characters onto the same button