Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Q_res posted:

It's literally the ship combat from Assassin's Creed 4.

I liked the ship combat enough in AssCreed 4 that I conquered every single fort in that game way before I got to the point it made sense to storywise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I played rebel galaxy on ps4 a few years ago.

I was having fun with it but after about 4 hours of game time over a couple of days i kept thinking "wow, i really like this. I wonder when the tutorial ends and i start meeting other players."

It was not the tutorial and it is a single player game. The gameplay felt so basic and was structured in such a way that it never occurred to me I wasn't paying an MMO.

Once i realized that i no longer liked it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1052380/Ikeda__The_Scrap_Hunter_EP/ <-- This thing is free right now, but will apparently not be free in the near future?

Finally a game that dares to ask the question "What if Super Meat Boy but not as good?".

I bounced off this pretty hard. The levels have absolutely no flow to them, and it really puts Super Meat Boy's little game design refinements in sharp relief when you add a second-long delay between death and respawn in a similar game and it immediately makes failure an order of magnitude more frustrating.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Rebel Galaxy is amazing, but I have a feeling I'm going to have a real difficult time finding a game to fill the gap once I beat it. Apparently the fans were hounding the devs of the sequel so hard one of them outright changed careers before delivering the promised content. Does anyone know more about that? It really sucks if this game will never get a proper sequel.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Did they ever fix the hosed up scaling on rebel galaxy? Where it was actively detrimental to save up and buy really big guns because everything scaled to your max level item?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Rebel Galaxy is amazing, but I have a feeling I'm going to have a real difficult time finding a game to fill the gap once I beat it. Apparently the fans were hounding the devs of the sequel so hard one of them outright changed careers before delivering the promised content. Does anyone know more about that? It really sucks if this game will never get a proper sequel.

play The Ur-Quan Masters

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

dogstile posted:

Where it was actively detrimental to save up and buy really big guns because everything scaled to your max level item?
:eyepop: So that’s why my midgame suddenly became insanely difficult and i had been trying so hard to catch up with the enemy’s spec.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

dogstile posted:

Did they ever fix the hosed up scaling on rebel galaxy? Where it was actively detrimental to save up and buy really big guns because everything scaled to your max level item?

They must have because I never experienced that. The scaling was perfect for me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Played some Mothergunship and Rebel Galaxy this weekend. Mothergunship is a super solid FPS roguelite with a pretty fun modular weapon system. I like it.

Rebel Galaxy I played years ago but wanted to try again. It's a fun if simple game although I get so mad when I get killed, the progression of the game really forces you towards grinding and it often feels distinctly unfair. Basically there are encounters pretty early on in the story that are unwinnable until you've put in at least 100k in your ship. And even then it's tough. Whenever you get surrounded your are basically screwed.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Void Bastards and Yooka-Laylee are this week's Epic games.

Automachef next week which seems to be a Zachtronics-like factory thing.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

drat Void Bastards is one of the few EGS freebies that needs the launcher to run and auto-runs the launcher when you run the exe

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Question about Humble Choice. There's a deal for the Premium Monthly plan at $8 a month for the first 3 months. I want to grab Bloodstained. Can I join and then cancel without any penalties?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Question about Humble Choice. There's a deal for the Premium Monthly plan at $8 a month for the first 3 months. I want to grab Bloodstained. Can I join and then cancel without any penalties?

Yep. The games are all steam keys except in the rare case they're something like GoG, as well as the "extras" which are DRM-free anyhow, so as long as you keep the installer(s).

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
With QuakeCon going along, GOG has put up Quake II RTX for free.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait. Hasn’t that always been free?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. Hasn’t that always been free?

Don't know. I certainly didn't have it yet and the title just came up on the newstickers today.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Quake II RTX is permanently free on Steam at least

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Looks like Quake II RTX (at least on steam) is just the original shareware levels, you have to have Quake 2 proper to play all the levels + multiplayer

/e yeah the GOG version mentions this: "Purchase Quake II: Quad Damage to access all levels from the base game as well as multiplayer support." and it's twice as expensive as the Steam version! at $3.

stringless fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 20, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you've been around the free games scene as long as I have (:clint:) you probably have the full version of Quake II on Bethesda.net launcher.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

And apparently Q1, 2, and 3 are going on Game Pass soon

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FFT posted:

And apparently Q1, 2, and 3 are going on Game Pass soon

Right now, in fact!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
While we're on Quake, if you own the original Quake (which was free for Quakecon last year) it's just been updated to include an excellent KEX engine port that now comes packaged with the 2 official expansion packs as well as 2 newer expansions by some folk from Machine Games.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I just want the soundtrack to work, and a true software renderer without having to fiddle.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlZzcYbQ_ZI

Yeah, okay, this does look amazing.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 20, 2021

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

THE BAR posted:

I just want the soundtrack to work

Good news: the soundtrack rights were somehow worked out, so the new release has all the Reznor tracks

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

George RR Fartin posted:

Good news: the soundtrack rights were somehow worked out, so the new release has all the Reznor tracks

Yup, everything's good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

George RR Fartin posted:

Yep. The games are all steam keys except in the rare case they're something like GoG, as well as the "extras" which are DRM-free anyhow, so as long as you keep the installer(s).

Thanks.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Oldstench posted:

You can cancel, or you can do what I do. They have an option to "Pause a month" whenever you like. So I just stay subscribed and I pause the subscription on months when I don't feel the bundle is worth it. I probably skip 2/3 of the bundles this way, but I get to keep my Classic plan. I've only forgotten to pause once, which cost me $12 for some games I might not play.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Farquar posted:

You can cancel, or you can do what I do. They have an option to "Pause a month" whenever you like. So I just stay subscribed and I pause the subscription on months when I don't feel the bundle is worth it. I probably skip 2/3 of the bundles this way, but I get to keep my Classic plan. I've only forgotten to pause once, which cost me $12 for some games I might not play.

Does the next month's game list show up before you're charged?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Oldstench posted:

Yes, IIRC they make the games available at the start of the month, and they don't automatically charge until the end of the month (although you can pay to access the games at any time in between).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
As far as I can tell the humble "subscription" basically has no reason or need to be a subscription because it's really just another monthly bundle for a fixed price with the annoying property that it will automatically charge you if you let it.
I bought it for one month ever but that was a while ago and I think it's had some changes since (there are 3 tiers now??).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've kept my monthly sub running since the mystery box days and I think I've paused it every month but one in the last year. I should probably cancel altogether, Game Pass for PC seemed like it gobbled up a lot of games that might have otherwise had bundle releases.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

As far as I can tell the humble "subscription" basically has no reason or need to be a subscription because it's really just another monthly bundle for a fixed price with the annoying property that it will automatically charge you if you let it.
I bought it for one month ever but that was a while ago and I think it's had some changes since (there are 3 tiers now??).

This was kinda why I stopped doing gamepass.
It was a recurring charge, which I wanted to use MS Rewards to pay for.
But if only if I had points converted to money and in the account first. You couldnt use Rewards after they told you that you didnt have the money in your account.
No option to use that converted money would show up for days.
But you couldnt just convert a whole bunch of points to money and let it ride, because for MS, money expires after x days.

They basically did everything they could to make it as difficult as possible and make you put a CC into your account to recur.
Or you just had to convert on a timely basis every month.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oldstench posted:

Is Bloodstained in the bundle that'll be charging end of August? Because if so you can have my copy, assuming I remember you exist. Send me a PM next Friday if you want. I'll never play the thing.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Is Bloodstained in the bundle that'll be charging end of August? Because if so you can have my copy, assuming I remember you exist. Send me a PM next Friday if you want. I'll never play the thing.

Yeah, Bloodstained is in the monthly that will be charged in...a week or so. I'm debating whether to pause or not because of it as well. On one hand, cheap games, on the other, cheap games that'll probably show up for free at some point.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Since I pre-ordered the Steam Deck, I’ve been reconsidering my normal “pause every month” habit and just letting a couple months charge since they might make for some good portable games (hopefully compatible).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I appreciate the offer but I already subbed and started playing it. <3

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Oldstench posted:

Yes, you get like three weeks after they reveal the bundle to decide if you want to pause or not.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mention of the Bethesda Launcher next to the gamepass made me suddenly realize that this is weird; Microsoft now owns multiple storefronts that are competing with one another.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

aniviron posted:

Mention of the Bethesda Launcher next to the gamepass made me suddenly realize that this is weird; Microsoft now owns multiple storefronts that are competing with one another.

Just like how Burger King and Popeyes are competing against each other in the chicken sandwich war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Len posted:

Just like how Burger King and Popeyes are competing against each other in the chicken sandwich war

Spoiler… the chickens lose