Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Skwirl posted:

My main issue with OWB is not enough ammo if you aren't an energy weapon user. First time I played through I was one so it was fine, second time I was trying to go full cowboy and eventually said "gently caress it" and would console code more ammo in

Yeah, definitely gave myself a thousand or so .308 rounds.

What makes Sneaky Sniper (sneak+guns) builds work a lot better is also going with Explosives. So you can set traps to kite enemies into and use stuff like the 40mm grenade launcher to take out any hard targets you can't dome with a couple of shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
All The DLC is Cool and Good

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Even Dead Money is better than anything else the Fallout series has produced since 1998.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Well yeah, Dead Money was the best DLC full stop.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alacron posted:

Well yeah, Dead Money was the best DLC full stop.

Dead Money contains some of the absolute best writing in a game chock full of really good writing.

The problem is playing it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Dead Money contains some of the absolute best writing in a game chock full of really good writing.

Exactly this.

I got the glitch where I just kept perpetually losing health even when I wasn't in the magic poison cloud.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Exactly this.

I got the glitch where I just kept perpetually losing health even when I wasn't in the magic poison cloud.

I didn't get any glitches, it's just that wandering round a very same-y map with two weapons and one enemy type got old no matter how interesting the story behind it was.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The beginning hour or two when you're scrounging to survive are fantastic, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

The problem isn't playing it.

It's letting go.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, I think Dead Money's gameplay works rather well except at the end where the level design team seemed stumped on how to actually ramp up the challenge and so just came up with a ton of trial-and-error bullshit. But the feeling of getting lost in the resort early on was really cool, and honestly, while I can understand the complaints, given they essentially bypass the normal stealth system, I don't dislike the holograms.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That's a bit more interesting than "There's a lot of radiation" that mods seem to do a lot to make things appear challenging.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

NikkolasKing posted:

Exactly this.

Were you definitely not playing in hardcore mode?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone know if this still works as a companion preserver? A little wary as it hasn't been updated in over a decade, but that's probably more than one mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34887

I want hardcore, except for the companion permadeath bit.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone know if this still works as a companion preserver? A little wary as it hasn't been updated in over a decade, but that's probably more than one mod.

That mod predates the final official patch by almost a month (7th of July 2011), don't touch it. General modding practice is to never install mods that predate the final official patch, as they could inadvertently revert important changes, or just generally mess things up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Black Griffon posted:

There's a post from November 2020 saying it works. And the last update was from a week after the final official patch. Other mods that edit companions might cause incompatibilities, but beyond that you should be good.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

lStewieAl's Tweaks includes an option to individually toggle hardcore mode features:

Stewie posted:

Independent Hardcore Features - enable toggling of ammo weight, sleep healing and hired companions being essential independently of the hardcore mode.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I use this to adjust hardcore need rates.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/72432?tab=description

It includes an essential followers toggle, which I don't use, but it seemed to work as advertised when I tested it.

but yeah I'd go with stewie

ThaumPenguin posted:

lStewieAl's Tweaks includes an option to individually toggle hardcore mode features:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

This mod will work just fine if you only want your companions to be essential.

Someone mentioned above that this mod predates the final patch. Not using mods that aren't updated for the final patch is generally good advice for people who have no modding knowledge.
But one of the first things people who mod this game ought to learn is xEdit which lets you look inside a mod's guts. What this mod does is add a new little script that runs in background and sets the companion you've hired as essential. It's technically inefficiently coded, but in no way impactful to your game's performance. The only vanilla asset it edits is one dialogue topic, and that's to ensure Cass won't bug out in a certain quest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Raygereio posted:

This mod will work just fine if you only want your companions to be essential.

Someone mentioned above that this mod predates the final patch. Not using mods that aren't updated for the final patch is generally good advice for people who have no modding knowledge.

No, it was updated a week after the final patch. according to
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_patches

quote:

Fallout: New Vegas patch 1.4.0.525 - current, released on July 7, 2011. Fixes numerous issues and adds compatibility for Old World Blues.

and the mod was last updated July 14th 2011, I assume to make sure it still worked with that patch.

The iTweaks thing is probably a better solution, but if you aren't already using it and literally only want this functionality from it then the mod should be fine.

Edit Never mind, it was last updated June 14th, before the last patch. Ignore me.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Oh poo poo, I thought I'd scoured Stewie's, but I missed that one option. Thanks guys!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I usually just install https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50468 for any kind of companion stuff. it's a bigger mod than just a tweak but that tweak is in there and it has other good features. especially if you like a lot of companions.

seems like it is also a bit old at this point but worked well enough last time if i recall?

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

I usually just install https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50468 for any kind of companion stuff. it's a bigger mod than just a tweak but that tweak is in there and it has other good features. especially if you like a lot of companions.

seems like it is also a bit old at this point but worked well enough last time if i recall?

Its more or less the companion mod for New Vegas and has worked well during my most resent play-though

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Skwirl posted:

My main issue with OWB is not enough ammo if you aren't an energy weapon user. First time I played through I was one so it was fine, second time I was trying to go full cowboy and eventually said "gently caress it" and would console code more ammo in

Really? One of my mods must be messing with ammo drops then cause I was drowning in .357 ammo. It seemed like every container in Big MT had bullets in it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i try to minimize companion use because they're powerful, come with free ammo, and they're way too eager to start fights even in passive mode, which is a problem in hardcore mode. modding them to use ammo isn't much of a solution, cause they'll mostly waste it.

although, tbh, i haven't really investigated whether someone tried addressing my issues. a fallout 4 style resuscitation mechanic (instead of permadeath in HC) would be cool too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I guess it's thematically appropriate, but the gulf between the perks and gear you get from OWB versus DM is massive.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

I toggled infinite companions after installing this because Follower Formula Redone recommends that, but I feel like I read something in the mod description of another mod in the VLV package mentioning CCC. Anyone with the same setup know what I'm talking about, or am I probably good?

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Viva New Vegas menchins CCC as the only companion mod worth using in its addendum the guide itself dose not install it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Aah, that's probably why I vaguely recall reading about it but couldn't place where.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

alpha_destroy posted:

Really? One of my mods must be messing with ammo drops then cause I was drowning in .357 ammo. It seemed like every container in Big MT had bullets in it.
Do you have the perk which makes more ammo drop?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I think Old World Blues has high .357 drops normally because a .357 machine gun can be one of the first items you get upon starting.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Rinkles posted:

The beginning hour or two when you're scrounging to survive are fantastic, though.

Are there any mods that extend this, or even revamp the progression of Dead Money in general? Because it's absurdly easy to get to the point where you're swimming in BAR ammo and stimpaks and it really takes the wind out of the desperate struggle feeling that Dead Money tries to foster

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm suddenly getting semi-periodic intense frame drops. Happened both in DM and now LR. In LR it got really bad at one point and eventually crashed (this was in a small interior, nothing that looked particularly demanding).

Any recommended steps for troubleshooting?

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I'm suddenly getting semi-periodic intense frame drops. Happened both in DM and now LR. In LR it got really bad at one point and eventually crashed (this was in a small interior, nothing that looked particularly demanding).

Any recommended steps for troubleshooting?

I'm having something similar happen, though it's happening on a fresh game. Seems to happen with or without mods, I'll be outside and everything will run perfectly fine, but eventually the game just slows down to a crawl, like single digit FPS. Only seems to happen outside and sometimes I can stop it by using the in-game wait function, though it'll happen again after a while. Menu and Pip Boy interface seem to be at a normal speed too. Never seen the like of it before, this current configuration has also been used before now with no problems.

edit: seems like it can happen indoors as well, but not to the same magnitude. Went away after I slept in a bed? It's incredibly odd, anyone have any ideas? Something memory related maybe?

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 23, 2021

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lonesome Road really showers you in ammo, explosives, and gear, doesn't it? It hardly matters that I entered the DLC almost naked.

Regarding the slowdown. It seems to be very localized. Like if I look a certain direction my FPS tanks, but everywhere else is fine. Reloading doesn't help, at least not always, but restarting seems to.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Regarding the slowdown. It seems to be very localized. Like if I look a certain direction my FPS tanks, but everywhere else is fine. Reloading doesn't help, at least not always, but restarting seems to.

Try using the "pcb" console command next time you're experience slowdowns like that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rinkles posted:

Lonesome Road really showers you in ammo, explosives, and gear, doesn't it? It hardly matters that I entered the DLC almost naked.

Makes sense, the whole region is littered with the corpses of NCR and Legion forces. Some of them still moving and trying to kill you.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

oh no, I've found my first n'th dimensional infestation. Is this something I can fix or is it nothing to worry about if it's the first of its kind I've seen in 20 hours?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
just blame it on the chems

nah it's probably fine unless it's something important or you see a lot of them. game's runnin still yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Black Griffon posted:

oh no, I've found my first n'th dimensional infestation. Is this something I can fix or is it nothing to worry about if it's the first of its kind I've seen in 20 hours?

This is giving me MGSO flashbacks. :ohdear: