Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which should I play as for the Generals Challenge? [Pick 3]
This poll is closed.
Laser 60 14.74%
Air Power 34 8.35%
Super Weapons 49 12.04%
Tanks 26 6.39%
Infantry 39 9.58%
Nuclear Power 68 16.71%
Toxin 48 11.79%
Stealth 42 10.32%
Explosives 41 10.07%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mr_stibbons posted:

I remember trying to go straight up the west side of the map and it being an absolute nightmare. The game says to do china first, but that has nothing to do with the difficulty of the campaigns. This mission and the next are rough if you don't know what you're doing.

Looking at the map and trying to think back on my experiences from almost two decades ago, but does anybody else feel like the starting position is built to steer you north/west?

In any case, I wouldnt say this map is too bad so long as you don't trigger mobs too soon or lose your troops. Hitting the eastern station is that much more kmportant as a result, too! As for the next mission, well there's a good reason for it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Looking at the map and trying to think back on my experiences from almost two decades ago, but does anybody else feel like the starting position is built to steer you north/west?

In any case, I wouldnt say this map is too bad so long as you don't trigger mobs too soon or lose your troops. Hitting the eastern station is that much more kmportant as a result, too! As for the next mission, well there's a good reason for it at least.

It really does, probably because of the slight extra line of sight on your western base entrance and the relative lack of anything visually interesting on the eastern area. Didn't know you could kill the train though, always thought it would be set to indestructible. Anyway, a much better commando style mission this time around, with the spawned in enemy reinforcements providing at least some pressure, but nothing a pair of Gatling Tanks can't handle. Triggering the Angry Mobs early can be a bit dicey, but again, Gatling Tanks on guard duty will clean them up quickly. Not to much more to say on this one though, it isn't exactly that memorable all things told but does its job well enough I guess.

mr_stibbons posted:

I remember trying to go straight up the west side of the map and it being an absolute nightmare. The game says to do china first, but that has nothing to do with the difficulty of the campaigns. This mission and the next are rough if you don't know what you're doing.

Heh, ohh boy do I have a lot to say about the next mission. Def looking forward to seeing how that one went...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
For some reason I remembered this mission as being particularly long and grinding, not sure why.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
A train coming down the tracks and a tower / minaret falling over are the only two infinite-damage things in the game, I believe. Everything in the path of either gets completely destroyed, be it a humble Red Guard or a full health Command Center.

Also, I definitely remember being drawn more toward the west side of the map than the east when I played the game. Urban fighting is just much more in line of my impression of Generals, so that's where I went first.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dragons tanks are awesome against rabid sports fans. Just two of them can easily handle the stadium on their own.

Veloxyll posted:

Edit: Angry mobs clearly should have been a british unit
Oi! Shut yer yap humie! :orks101:

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Angry Mobs might be one of my favourite RTS units ever. They're deceptively powerful too.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, honestly thinking about this kinda forgettable mission a bit, it would have worked out much better if it was a true commando mission. Remove your small base and Angry Mob stadium spawns, scale back the GLA reinforcement times, and just have a small team backing up Black Lotus at the start, with maybe a few more money crates scattered about. Probably remove a good number of those roving GLA tanks and throw in some more supplies at the two GLA Supply Centers and a GLA Barracks somewhere accessible and boom, now you have a lot more interesting mission then just a redux of mission 4 but now with less Hackers. If you are feeling generous, have a couple Troop Crawlers and Dragon/Gatling Tanks spawn in when you make enough progress. Plus, setting the mission up like this would be another solid way to force you to make the most of Black Lotus's abilities, and make for a really solid test of getting the most out of each unit you have.

*sigh* C&C Generals, so much it could have been...

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

SoggyBobcat posted:

Angry Mobs might be one of my favourite RTS units ever. They're deceptively powerful too.

Especially after the upgrade.
God I love that audio after it is researched.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wincing at the 'armed mob' member that is a black man holding a pistol sideways.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

The Lone Badger posted:

Wincing at the 'armed mob' member that is a black man holding a pistol sideways.

I'm holding off commenting on the Angry Mob until we see them a bit more. They're a fun unit concept, but it's a sign of how much time has passed that people in the thread haven't quite seen what the Angry Mob represents yet.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Speaking of memorable, the train destruction cutscene is definitely one that made it into a few trailers/promos, so at least theres been 2 good cutscenes so far!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

The extremist fans of Alan Alda have gone too far. After all these atrocities they have the audacity to ride trains.

I always loved how China is the war crimiest faction in a game that has a faction that was straight up early 2000s America's collective concept of "the Terrorists"

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oh, we haven't seen the full extent of war crimes yet. The GLA definitely take the cake in that regard, but all things in time.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

True enough, but I mean as far as baseline units go. Anthrax and bombs are bad, but nukes, napalm and even the bulldozers are all quite brutal.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
I just stumbled upon remake of this game in Red Alert 3 engine - General Evolution...
Is it any good?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There's a 3rd Red Alert?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
For anyone playing along I can recommend GenTool with the ControlBarPro mod which gives you better working high resolution with a more appropriate HUD.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's a 3rd Red Alert?

I like Red Alert 3 :(

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's 2003. The third Red Alert game is Yuri's Revenge.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey

Redeye Flight posted:

I like Red Alert 3 :(

Jobbo asks people not to talk about future C&C games which may (or may not) be released after the one he is currently LPing.

Enjoying this troubling slice of nostalgia so far. Campaign is sillier than I remember.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's a 3rd Red Alert?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What games should we see/expect?
1995 – Command & Conquer
1996 – Command & Conquer – The Covert Operations

1996 – Command & Conquer: Red Alert
1997 – Command & Conquer: Red Alert – Counterstrike
1997 – Command & Conquer: Red Alert – The Aftermath
1998 – Command & Conquer: Red Alert – Retaliation

1999 – Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
2000 – Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun – Firestorm

2000 – Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
2001 – Command & Conquer: Yuri's Revenge

2002 – Command & Conquer: Renegade (Or Renegade X)
2003 – Command & Conquer: Generals <--- You Are Here
2003 – Command & Conquer: Generals – Zero Hour
2007 – Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
2008 – Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath
2008 – Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
2009 – Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 – Uprising
2009 – Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Commander's Challenge
2010 – Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight

Looks like it - if we can trust the word of this "Jobbo_Fett" guy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I trust only Kane, you should do the same.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

By popular demand posted:

I trust only Kane, you should do the same.

Kane's dead.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Kane lives in death.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I cant believe Kane died

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You can't kill the messiah!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
China 07: Nuclear Winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXu6_7NnbhQ
China 07: Nuclear Winter

With Black Lotus having successfully hampered GLA troop movements, it has come time to rid the world of the GLA terrorist group once and for all. A massive force has been assembled and is marching on their Headquarters. Good luck, General!

So we're now on the other side of Aldastan to take out the GLA HQ? I... suppose that makes sense if this mission and the previous one are meant to occur at near enough the same day(s)?

Objective: Destroy all GLA forces in the area.

Author's note: A grueling fight due to the lack of credits and the reveal of the GLA superweapon.

Inferno Cannon
RANGE: Long
ARMOR: Tank
WEAPON: Napalm Cannon
COST: 900

This long-range cannon can launch napalm shells over perimeter defenses and onto enemy structures. When a shell lands, it explodes and burns.

Author's Note: Rarely used, its in an awkward spot where I prefer Gatling Cannons on defense, or overrunning with Overlords.

Nuke Cannon
RANGE: Long
ARMOR: Tank
WEAPON: Tactical Nuclear Shells
COST: 1600

The most dangerous artillery weapon ever created, the Nuke Cannon can fire small nuclear charges considerable distances. Detonating shells cause tremendous damage and radiate the ground for a long time. Enemy units continue to take damage from radiation.

Author's Note: I have a hard time ever justifying purchasing this unit with a General Point. When I do use them, I'm never really satisfied.

Nuclear Missile Silo
ARMOR: Structure
COST: 4000
POWER USAGE: 10
PURPOSE: Chinese Superweapon

The Chinese special weapon, the Nuclear Missile can nearly destroy an enemy base with a single blow. While the Nuclear Missile takes time to set up and arm, its missile can destroy multiple structures and irradiate the vicinity of its detonation. It requires plenty of power to build and arm.

Author's Note: Not only does it unlock the Chinese superweapon, but also some important tech. A must-buy with a hefty price tag.

Uranium Shells
FACTION: China
COST: 2500
PREREQUISITE: Nuclear Missile Silo
PURPOSE: Increases Battlemaster and Overlord tank damage by 25% and applies radiation effect to shots.

Developed at the Nuclear Missile structure, Uranium Shells increase the firepower of Battlemaster and Overlord tanks by 25%.

Author's Note: More damage, better anti-infantry effect, for slightly more than an overlord? Sure!

Nuclear Tanks
COST: 2000
PREREQUISITE: Nuclear Missile Silo
PURPOSE: Increases Battlemaster and Overlord movement speed by 25%.

Developed at the Nuclear Missile structure, Nuclear Tanks increases the speed of Battlemaster and Overlord tanks by 25%. Upgraded vehicles are volatile when destroyed.

Author's Note: Faster tanks, hell yeah! The only side effect is they become a little more dangerous to friendly units when they blow up.

Artillery Training
COST: 1 General Point
PREREQUISITE: Rank 1
PURPOSE: Promotes all Inferno and Nuke Cannons to Veterans when produced from the War Factory.

Inferno and Nuke Cannon units emerge from the War Factory as Veterans.

Author's Note: I always forget this actually affects Nuke Cannons as well. The wiki states this upgrade makes Nuke Cannons able to one-hit kill any unit in the game, bar the Overlord tank.

EMP Pulse
COST: 1 General Point
PREREQUISITE: Rank 5
PURPOSE: Unlocks the EMP Bomb Strike

Ability to call in an EMP Pulse Strike. All vehicles and structures in the blast radius are disabled for a period of time.

Author's Note: This game and Tiberian Sun cemented my constant use of EMP Pulse and not EM Pulse or EMP Bomb. The English language weeps for me.

Aftermath:

Nuclear weapons have been used to strike a foreign country, an event not seen since World War 2. We can only hope the GLA have been eliminated once and for all, else this will lead the world down a dark path...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Those seven levels just flew by, didn't they?

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
This may be 2021 speaking, but this level is fundamentally unsatisfying. "Trust us, beating this GLA base is totally for real going to be a final victory against the terrorists." Just doesn't track at all. Even knowing that this is only the first campaign, it still feels like an arbitrary conclusion. Alright, enough playing china now. There just isn't going to be a climactic victory against the GLA, at best it would be a slow dwindling of GLA attacks, and at worst, well, look at the news.

Now, this could have been mitigated if Generals wasn't reduced to the broad strokes characterless story. If there had been an actual GLA leader who had been ranting at us all campaign, taking credit for the Beijing attack , and they could be killed or captured in this mission, it would feel like a proper conclusion, even if in the broader narrative was about how killing this one target didn't really matter in the war against terror.

WRT gameplay, Inferno cannons work like migs, and cause firestorms in large groups, which ups their damage considerably once you have critical mass. Just starting you with two gives a pretty poor impression of them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the central problem with the nuke cannon is that this game is just too fast-paced for what the unit wants to be. It's not a good static base defense because it fires so slowly and the projectile has a slow travel time. It's not particularly good on the offense because units and structures die so fast there's not a place for a grinding creep strategy. There's no air transports, so nuke cannon drops aren't a thing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mr_stibbons posted:

WRT gameplay, Inferno cannons work like migs, and cause firestorms in large groups, which ups their damage considerably once you have critical mass. Just starting you with two gives a pretty poor impression of them.

Oh I know, but the investment in Inferno cannons, with range that doesn't really matter all that much, and where my own forces attacking as a blob will be close to said targets, sorta invalidates having them. I'd rather have an Overlord bunker with Tank Hunters than an Inferno cannon.

Artillery like the inferno cannon is just in an odd spot in Generals. Range to exceed base defenses, but not enough to allow for units to be in front of them to cover them.

Cythereal posted:

I think the central problem with the nuke cannon is that this game is just too fast-paced for what the unit wants to be. It's not a good static base defense because it fires so slowly and the projectile has a slow travel time. It's not particularly good on the offense because units and structures die so fast there's not a place for a grinding creep strategy. There's no air transports, so nuke cannon drops aren't a thing.

Exactly.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The frustration I always had with the Nuke Cannon was watching that atomic shell slam into the camo netting above a Stinger Site and barely knock off 20% of the structure's health. Even inferno cannons will burn out the rocket troops inside, but the much-vaunted "Bringer of Light" seems to be throwing volleyballs for all the damage it does.

I know it can hurt production structures quite well because the lingering radiation destroys units as they come out - and it's very good at airfield denial while the radiation wears off - but that particular interaction was always infuriating.

The AI probably targets hackers because it can see the entire map when selecting superweapon targets, and it prioritises economic units highly. The Chinese secondary income source is hilariously fragile in vanilla Generals.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I haven't watched the episode yet, but from memory, I'd hazard a guess this mission ends with a mass of overlords crushing the base.

Iirc, the crucial part of this mission (for me) is setting up the inferno cannons in your choke, attacking ground to create a firestorm where the GLA light vehicles go through, whittling them down so your actual base defences work through the heavy armour.

The nuclear missile is the most satisfying but the worst superweapon against the GLA bases in particular, unless you have a quick follow-up. However, it is the most important because of the upgrades.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Those seven levels just flew by, didn't they?

Yeah, if there's one thing that I can absolutely criticize with the game it is that the campaigns were short and felt a bit disconnected. Sure, we have three factions now rather than two, but Starcraft and Warcraft 3 managed 3 and 4 campaigns respectively without too much issue.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing that I can absolutely criticize with the game it is that the campaigns were short and felt a bit disconnected. Sure, we have three factions now rather than two, but Starcraft and Warcraft 3 managed 3 and 4 campaigns respectively without too much issue.

And those games had stories to tell.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Artillery like the inferno cannon is just in an odd spot in Generals. Range to exceed base defenses, but not enough to allow for units to be in front of them to cover them.

Also, artillery suffers a bit because there aren't any advanced base defenses like the tesla coil or Obelisk of light in Generals that really give pause to a blob of tanks. There's no real need for artillery when you can just steamroll the weaker defenses with your tanks.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
You need three Inferno Cannons at least to cause a firestorm effect, which can level buildings pretty quickly because fire does quite a bit of damage to structures in this game. Also speaking of artillery, there actually is a glitch to make Nuke Cannons shoot quickly, but it's hard to pull off for the actual reward involved. Have a Nuke Cannon launch a shell, then move an Overlord with Speaker Tower into the effective range of it, then it'll fire again because it technically now has a different rate of fire. At least I think that's how it works.

Also, those Red Guard in the intro cinematic are iron men. They took a SCUD right to the face and kept going. They only died eventually because of the toxin residue. In actual gameplay the missile impact itself would have easily killed them. Also I think if you dawdle enough on this mission, the GLA eventually sends some infantry through that little pass where the mission started and can get into your base if you've left that side of the map undefended.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

mr_stibbons posted:

This may be 2021 speaking, but this level is fundamentally unsatisfying.

No, it's not just 2021 speaking. Generals' abstract no-story no-character campaign here was pretty deeply unsatisfying then too.

Not to say they can't pull it out later, but if you're thinking 'okay what the hell is this' you're not alone.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I remember a Nuke plus level 3 artillery strike being able to fully level any super weapon in the game, even the GLA one, despite it collapsing into a hole that rebuilds itself like all their buildings. Just nuking it isn’t enough, since it’ll collapse into the hole and eventually get rebuilt, but if you’re still waiting on the artillery strike, at least the lingering radiation clouds will kill the workers emerging from the hole to rebuild the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

IIRC, in this mission the GLA won't launch the Scud Storm at you as long as you keep your fund below $5000. Makes the mission a lot easier if you know this.