Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Vote or don't.

If you do vote, ideally vote for the candidate that you want to represent you rather than out of some sense of obligation to oppose another party. Or do whatever.

e: I have just discovered that Jagmeet will be gladhanding at the NDP's Davenport campaign office tomorrow.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Madkal posted:

Having actually been alive during the Harper years I can safely say that Liberals are not just cons, but I guess it is easy to say an orange is the same as banana and not have to think about it.

burned books dead soldiers no environment

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

infernal machines posted:

The NDP or the candidate? Because odds are the candidate wasn't selected until like a week ago. Maybe the NDP should have held nominations in January, but they didn't, so yeah, it takes a bit.

The candidate selection meeting for my NDP riding committee isn't even happening until this upcoming Tuesday. There's been hints of an election call, but democracy takes some time, and candidates and local riding volunteers all have lives along with processes they have to follow.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

burned books dead soldiers no environment

lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Madkal posted:

Having actually been alive during the Harper years I can safely say that Liberals are not just cons, but I guess it is easy to say an orange is the same as banana and not have to think about it.

Come on, Justin, don't do this.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Hey look I can make one too:

SNC Lavlin Saudi tanks bought a pipeline

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Imagine how wild the white supremacy would be at this point with the federal government encouraging it along with the premieres of like half of the provinces.

Libs are bad, they absolutely suck in most every way, but it is very much a lesser evil situation and they are not waging a constant culture war on women and minorities and LGBT and every other 'other' out there.

Our electoral system fuckin' sucks that people even have to think "am I wasting my vote?" for voting for who they want to instead of some perceived horseshit strategy.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
It's wild seeing folks bring up Harper as a Boogeyman to vote Red or else as if the alternative wasn't Martin or Ignatief

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Anyway, not participating is a valid approach, and if you disagree you're an rear end in a top hat

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

Sometimes that self-serving reason is that the NDP candidate is floating around 15% in the polls and not voting Liberal ends up putting some Conservative fuckhead in power instead. poo poo on people who do this all you want: the problem is that the very thought of letting many CPC members into power feels emergent. I know it's popular around here to say "oh the Liberals are the same thing as the CPCs" but are you not old enough to remember I don't know Stephen loving Harper? Sure, lesser of two evils is absolutely true and everything but the gap in evil (sometimes moreso in specific ridings) is pretty large.

I don't think so. I've seen my quality of life degrade massively under the liberals. Rents being jacked up to the point where I've had to move 4 times in 5 years, one of which was a renoviction. Being able to buy and not have to deal with landlords completely out of reach despite holding down a steady job. They don't give a gently caress about anyone not already on the property ladder, as shown by how much they've funneled towards keeping asset prices up, and I will never vote for them. Luckily they don't need my vote, since the majority of canadians aren't renters.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pleads posted:

Imagine how wild the white supremacy would be at this point with the federal government encouraging it along with the premieres of like half of the provinces.

No need to imagine it, the Liberal government is more than forthcoming.

quote:

Libs are bad, they absolutely suck in most every way, but it is very much a lesser evil situation and they are not waging a constant culture war on women and minorities and LGBT and every other 'other' out there.

I guess you could argue the Liberals are a "slower evil" situation? The Conservatives don't seem eager to roll back the culture war victories you're attributing to not-Conservatives. But I admit I'm not in a typically targeted group, and maybe I'd be more scared if I was.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mila kunis posted:

I don't think so. I've seen my quality of life degrade massively under the liberals. Rents being jacked up to the point where I've had to move 4 times in 5 years, one of which was a renoviction. Being able to buy and not have to deal with landlords completely out of reach despite holding down a steady job. They don't give a gently caress about anyone not already on the property ladder, as shown by how much they've funneled towards keeping asset prices up, and I will never vote for them. Luckily they don't need my vote, since the majority of canadians aren't renters.

An increasingly large percentage of the population trapped in a forever-renting nightmare of nomadic apartment living might seem bad to you, but think of how many landlords you're helping pay mortgages they'd otherwise not be able to afford.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

Our electoral system fuckin' sucks that people even have to think "am I wasting my vote?" for voting for who they want to instead of some perceived horseshit strategy.

The Liberal agenda is going to lead Canada down the path to fascism just like the Cons and it's going to be whites on top when that happens. This whole 'theyre good enough because they don't call me slurs' bullshit has to stop.

The Liberals use minorities as loving tokens to make them look good while trying to secure a voting base because the Cons have the white chud vote locked down already. The tokens they use are complicit in the systemic bigotry in our society because they've figured out one thing; if you're wealthy enough you can make yourself immune to most of it.

It's just loving pandering, you should know this by now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"Social progress is just pandering if I can't afford a house"
                                                                                                - CanPol

As an aside, see if you can identify any notable differences in the makeup of the parties:
Conservative
Liberal
NDP

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 21, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It’s owns that Trudeau is using mandatory sick days and money for ventilation as an election promise a year and a half after the pandemic started. The Liberals are useless.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Are the mandatory sick days just for federally regulated industries or have they found a way to massively expand their authority all of a sudden?

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
"the blackface candidate is actually the best choice for minorities"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Remember that time he took a knee at a BLM event.

Really doing all he can for that community.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah, I think I just decided that I don't give a drat anymore. I'll vote NDP no matter what because I think they're the best alternative.

It's just a bit poo poo because I know I can only not care because of how privileged we are. I will not be personally damaged no matter what government is in power, we own a home and are like top 5% household income at least I'm guessing.
I can theorize about punishing the Liberals with votes transferring to the NDP because I can weather the result of a Con government if that's what happens.

What are people supposed to do that would be directly harmed by a Conservative government? It's like some kind of prisoner's dilemma almost.

I'm endlessly conflicted about this.
I think the end conclusion is that our electoral system loving sucks and maybe that single broken promise is a good enough reason to never vote Liberal again.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
There's no way to know how your single vote in your riding will affect the overall outcome of an election in which 14 million votes are cast.

What you can know is who you are actually voting for.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

linoleum floors posted:

Well, when they decide to nominate a candidate.

The NDP is seriously terrible at elections.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jordan7hm posted:

I sent them the $3 they asked me for hoping that maybe next time around they will run a candidate so I can actually vote. I feel like I've done my part.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Are the mandatory sick days just for federally regulated industries or have they found a way to massively expand their authority all of a sudden?

Just Federally regulated they did say they will work with provinces to expand it though

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jordan7hm posted:

I figured the Liberal party's constant steamrolling of riding associations to install whatever candidates was just convenience, but I guess people really do hate an empty portrait on the website. Once again the Liberals are more shrewd than I give them credit.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

In this case, the governing party does have some advantages as the head office can tell the riding associations to have their nominee ready by DATE which just happens to be when the writ is called. Everyone else is reading tea leaves.

That said, it is Calgary so take a look at who the Liberals are running there before judging the NDP too harshly for who they are running. Riding associations are kinda stuck working with what they’ve got in the area.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Federal industries and specifically the public service, because they had a bit of a flap about their sick days a year or so before the pandemic started. That's absolutely aimed at PSAC/PIPSC

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
I have been on the Election Planning Committee of several elections now and I am not particularly impressed by the NDP efforts this time. Just lots of eh work this time compared to 2015 and 2019.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

linoleum floors posted:

There's no way to know how your single vote in your riding will affect the overall outcome of an election in which 14 million votes are cast.

This. Know your candidates, if you find one that you think will represent you well, vote for them, if you don't, well, voting isn't mandatory.

Jordan7hm posted:

Democracy is hard man

flakeloaf posted:

That's absolutely aimed at PSAC/PIPSC

Ahhh. Makes sense.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 21, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PSAC reps get really crabby when you pronounce it pee-sack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't it great how this is the hottest August 21st in Ottawa for the last hundred years and the best we can do is shrug? Whole city smells like rotting sewage today.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Whole city smells like rotting sewage today.

Yes, there's an election campaign on.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yes, there's an election campaign on.
Wouldn't that make it smell less, as everyone leaves to campaign?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oh, maybe. I just figured it got them all outdoors again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oh, maybe. I just figured it got them all outdoors again.

even erin o'toole emerged from his portapotty to enjoy the warmth

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

McGavin posted:

PSAC reps get really crabby when you pronounce it pee-sack.

We have some PSAC represented people where I work and I've only ever heard it said like pee-sack. What is it supposed to be?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Free market neoliberal policies consistently harm minorities more than other groups, fortunately you have the choice between the red neoliberals who know how to speak the language of social progress and the blue neoliberals who don't.

lol if you think the orange neoliberals will ever hold power.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I'm going to chalk it up to regional differences. Go team pee-sack!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 10, 2022

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Pee sack in the west coast

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

This. Know your candidates, if you find one that you think will represent you well, vote for them, if you don't, well, voting isn't mandatory.

Democracy is hard man

Ahhh. Makes sense.

Canada has tougher party whips than the UK or US. When you vote, you are definitely voting for a party. Not that good MP's don't matter but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.