Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Platonicsolid posted:

I'd assume they're following the Uber approach where "breaking the law is part of the business model"

What's frustrating about that model is that I'd be more likely to be criminally punished as an individual for pushing over an illegal locker obstructing the pathway than they would be for blocking it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1428514875416924163?s=20

Danny DeVito lost his twitter verification after he spoke out in support of the Nabisco worker's strike, after which someone noticed Twitter is now running Nabisco ads

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
welp time to switch to Hydrox or store brand oero ripoffs.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Time to stop eating junky snacks and have a banana.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

And live longer in this hellworld? Let people enjoy their junkfood.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

Im allergic to bananas

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What if people... made their own crackers and cookies? :ohdear:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Remember that California proposition that Uber spent over $200 million on so that they didn't have to provide employment benefits for their employees independent contractors? The one that after it passed could only be overturned by a 7/8 majority of the state legislature?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1428902200701558787

:boom:

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Doggles posted:

Remember that California proposition that Uber spent over $200 million on so that they didn't have to provide employment benefits for their employees independent contractors? The one that after it passed could only be overturned by a 7/8 majority of the state legislature?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeezCdF4mk

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1428514875416924163?s=20

Danny DeVito lost his twitter verification after he spoke out in support of the Nabisco worker's strike, after which someone noticed Twitter is now running Nabisco ads

This is so stupid. Did they suddenly not think his account was actually run by Danny DeVito or is the blue check just a status symbol.

Rhetorical question - I know Twitter blue check is just a loving "I'm better than you" bullshit

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

starkebn posted:

This is so stupid. Did they suddenly not think his account was actually run by Danny DeVito or is the blue check just a status symbol.

Rhetorical question - I know Twitter blue check is just a loving "I'm better than you" bullshit

it's twitters way of saying you've changed man we don't even know who you are anymore

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

starkebn posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/danny-devito-briefly-lost-his-twitter-verification-it-wasn-t-n1277255

quote:

In a statement to NBC News on Friday, a Twitter spokesperson confirmed DeVito lost the prized blue check mark. But, the spokesperson said, "his account was debadged temporarily because the account’s information was incomplete."
Of course, it's just coincidence that it only mattered right then and there am i right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/GustavoTurnerX/status/1428862579997241346

The degree of involvement of various individuals and motivations is unclear, but it’s rich that Ackman is playing the “think of the children” card.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 21, 2021

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Bill Ackman has a history of shorting companies and then smearing them, right? These companies (such as Herbalife) are potentially deserving of the smearing of course, but that's his M.O.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's doing the same here.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I'd think that using your influence to pressure the payment processor of a company you're shorting to effectively kill that company's business model would cross the line into something the SEC would investigate?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'd think that using your influence to pressure the payment processor of a company you're shorting to effectively kill that company's business model would cross the line into something the SEC would investigate?
Would it, though?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Wikipedia tells me that Bill Ackman is a billionaire. So if that is indeed what he is doing, it is de facto not illegal for him to do it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kyte posted:

Of course, it's just coincidence that it only mattered right then and there am i right.

That happens to verified people all the time though

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PhazonLink posted:

my two cents on the onlyfans shitbomb. Lol at soooo many internet golden gooses killing or hurting their goose because they're too lazy too mod themseleves.

0) dont have cp and other vile stuff.

OnlyCAI doesn't have the same ring to it

Doggles posted:

:bahgawd: Activist Judges! :bahgawd:

The SEC doesn't prosecute the wealthy.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

They'll investigate just like how they investigated elon musk when he tweeted that he was taking tesla private at $420, funding secured

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

The SEC doesn't prosecute the wealthy.

Well, with one caveat, if you rip off other wealthy people.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CommieGIR posted:

Well, with one caveat, if you rip off other wealthy people.

Madoff had to turn himself in for the SEC to actually do anything. They had repeated warnings he was running a ponzi scheme that they flat out ignored.
And in the end, it was an estimated 60 billion dollars when he could have been stopped at one or two.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1429131199600078849

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/GustavoTurnerX/status/1428862579997241346

The degree of involvement of various individuals and motivations is unclear, but it’s rich that Ackman is playing the “think of the children” card.

lmao, of course it's some rear end in a top hat billionaire throwing a tantrum/doing a market manipulation

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

They should be bought up to make public housing.

nah, from an architectural standpoint you need to add too many pipes for in-unit plumbing and giant boxes means no exterior windows on housing units. imagine living in a series of windowless hallways with common bathrooms. it would suck, malls are terrible for conversions to housing. you want to keep them as public spaces or if you absolutely must building housing on that exact spot, demolish the mall

however, the parking lots outside of the malls are ripe for rebuilding as anything you want, housing is especially good because then you can reuse part of the mall for some commercial use while adding other uses like daycares, libraries, offices, etc.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

eXXon posted:

Speaking of Amazon moving more into low-tech space, they're apparently just installing lockers on sidewalks in public parks because ???

This one too, the gently caress??

looking forward to seeing the after pics

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone here ever dealt with Adobe Creative Cloud?

It's a subscription based graphic design software. Some time back, they went from installation DVD's to an "always online" model and it loving sucks. They "upgrade" this poo poo every year whether they need to or not, adding new features no one gives a poo poo about, moving tools all over the menu and changing keyboard shortcuts that I've committed to muscle memory.

Adobe actively makes my job harder when the entire premise should be the opposite. You're constantly sort of walking through a mine field. I deal with a lot of "designers" files, 80% of which are total amateur hour level stuff that needs a decent amount of work to get it to print. Thing is, Adobe gives these artists just enough tools to be dangerous and almost every time there's a production problem, it has to do with some new "feature" that Adobe just jammed in there or something they changed for no loving reason.

It's hard to explain but here's a simple example. The shop I work at runs a lot of repeating jobs where we take a previous file, make some changes to it and print a new version. Well, for some reason, Adobe just randomly decided to "upgrade" their "text engine", meaning that the way the software renders and flows fonts is different now - resulting in different spacing and text flow. So, a 144 page book that we reprint all the time suddenly distributes characters with a new text layout.

This results in copy being cut off entirely, flowing over onto the next page and stuff like covering up graphs or pictures. Depending on how the layout was done, this can result in every loving page being completely different.

It also means that depending on which version of the software you're using, an artist can provide a file that, for no reason at all, looks different on my screen than theirs. It can gently caress up something as simple as a business card. Very frustrating.

So, the above part of my post might open up on my CPU looking like this:

adobe posted:

Paragraph Headline Gets Cut Off for Some Reas(x)
It also means that depending on which version of the software you're using, an artist can provide a file
that, for no reason at all, looks
*next page*
different on my screen than theirs. It can gently caress up something as simple as a busin(x)

The (x) is when there is additional copy inside of a text box. *next page* means that text is now on a different page.

Also, the always online subscription based fucks over my freelance work. I don't get ENOUGH side jobs to justify the monthly fee, plain and simple, so I use older versions on an old Mac that work fine but which ADobe is actively trying to gank. If they detect older versions running, they can brick those. So I always have to work offline. Conversely, if I DO have the current Creative Cloud and my internet goes down or gets spotty for any reason, then I can't work at all. Every time they update their software, it's a 50/50 shot that all my settings, workspace and preferences get reset too. Like, imagine if you had a video game that you had tweaked all the sliders and settings to where they're optimal but Neversoft or whoever just updates your game and now you're back to default options or different controls and hot keys.

Adobe is the poster child for what happens when competition gets eliminated and they treat their user base like poo poo. They're also eliminating ALL support for "Open Type" fonts soon, which are quite ubiquitous and used in thousands of not only our files but by designers everywhere.

Printing and graphics are WAY more complicated than people think. The amount of poo poo I have to know and learn to anticipate would really surprise most people. For some reason, and this is not hyperbole, Adobe goes out its way to make my job harder though. They really don't even NEED to update stuff. Well, they DO but they never fix the broken poo poo and just add on new stuff. I get to do quality control and beta testing for them in the form of making mistakes at my job.

Jesus Christ, Adobe, just polish the product, fix the bugs and then sit back and count money.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 23, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Sausages posted:

looking forward to seeing the after pics

They were removed, so enjoy.

BiggerBoat posted:

It also means that depending on which version of the software you're using, an artist can provide a file that, for no reason at all, looks different on my screen than theirs. It can gently caress up something as simple as a business card. Very frustrating.

Can't you roll back to specific versions, assuming you can find out which one the artist used? A google search suggests that you can. Not that that isn't a pain in the rear end, but hopefully less so than the alternative.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

eXXon posted:

They were removed, so enjoy.

Can't you roll back to specific versions, assuming you can find out which one the artist used? A google search suggests that you can. Not that that isn't a pain in the rear end, but hopefully less so than the alternative.

To an extent, yes. But then your shop can't open any newer files, the process is complicated, my boss is in a loving hurry and trying to track down which specific version some rando used is a bitch. There's also compatibility issues with the software used to impose and process files from older versions and the propensity is to always be updating.

Because "newer" is always "better" as we know here in this thread.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I remember when adobe switch to creative cloud as a result of all the rampant piracy (because they charged thousands of dollars per license and no one could pay)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Of course it did absolutely nothing to stop the :pirate: but guaranteeing a long-term revenue stream from paying users is a happy coincidence

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm still baffled how piracy just kinda stopped. I mean, I know its still around, but I have seen zoomers ask how to use torrents when a decade ago everyone had a torrent client or a friend who was running a seedbox

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I was just bitching about Fusion 360 yesterday, for all of the exact same reasons. And that's FREE for non commercial use. But the "always cloud, always updating for no reason" bullshit is actually pushing me to pay for something that doesn't do that, just so I can get the very occasional work I need to do in it done without it being a whole ridiculous production each occasion I need to just change one simple thing and poop out another STL.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The hot new trick is Googling <movie name> + "parent directory".

It pulls up unsecured network-attached storage.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Piracy in the 2020s: being bad at security

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
More about the OnlyFans stuff:

https://twitter.com/mikestabile/status/1429576130374234113?s=20

Turns out the Religious groups who pushed for the payment processor restrictions are realizing this is getting more coverage than they thought.

https://twitter.com/mikestabile/status/1429576151236714498?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 23, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RFC2324 posted:

I'm still baffled how piracy just kinda stopped. I mean, I know its still around, but I have seen zoomers ask how to use torrents when a decade ago everyone had a torrent client or a friend who was running a seedbox

it just changed forms. Megaupload links, Plex servers, ad-crusted streaming sites. Plus with music you kinda don't need to if you don't care about local copies - the streaming services are basically a white flag on that poo poo.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

TheScott2K posted:

it just changed forms. Megaupload links, Plex servers, ad-crusted streaming sites.

All those things existed beforehand. No, the reason was that it became a lot easier to not pirate. All the tv shows and movies were on Netflix, music on Spotify or apple.
It was a dark time for piracy.

Now you need to buy 5 different services to watch what you want, and wow, piracy is up again. But a lot of the knowledge is lacking, so the old scams are working again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

it just changed forms. Megaupload links, Plex servers, ad-crusted streaming sites. Plus with music you kinda don't need to if you don't care about local copies - the streaming services are basically a white flag on that poo poo.

Not to mention nearly every streaming site also has a downloader app/site you can rip the media to local

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

exmachina posted:

All those things existed beforehand. No, the reason was that it became a lot easier to not pirate. All the tv shows and movies were on Netflix, music on Spotify or apple.
It was a dark time for piracy.

Now you need to buy 5 different services to watch what you want, and wow, piracy is up again. But a lot of the knowledge is lacking, so the old scams are working again.

LoL a decade ago Plex was an odd alternative to XBMC whose selling point was that it'd transcode for playback on your 360 because it showed up in the console media browser as a server. When I say "Plex servers" I'm talking about ones that disseminate among remote users who either kick in a buck or two or just enjoy the party until it unceremoniously dies and they find another one on one of their forums/SM pages.

Zoomers aren't nearly as married to having a personal library as the rest of us. "Piracy" to a lot of them doesn't mean possessing media outside the normal channels, it means gaining access to a browsable streaming library. Their paradigm is more akin to pirating a service than a particular piece of media.