Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tiggum posted:

If you've been cutting chillis, and you've washed your hands extremely thoroughly and are absolutely sure that no trace of chilli could possibly remain: still don't touch your eye.

It's a much safer bet to test this on your partner's sensitive bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Tiggum posted:

If you've been cutting chillis, and you've washed your hands extremely thoroughly and are absolutely sure that no trace of chilli could possibly remain: still don't touch your eye.

I did this when I was 20 and was absolutely sure I washed my hands well, then like an hour later I ended up rubbing both eyes.

I went blind from the pain/tears and had to feel my way to the sink to wash them out. It was wild the way I almost immediately had burning and pain and then blurring vision and had to find my way to the sink. They were just grocery store thai peppers, not even that bad.

The only thing worse than those peppers was a skunk spray at close range while checking the horses one night. My dog got like 1 bark in warning. I could barely breathe, I was drooling and spitting, my nose was running, I could see but it was like 100x in my sinuses. I had to stumble back to the house while spitting and coughing. It was like a full body experience where all I could focus on was the absolute stench. Skunk smell is 100x effective, would not interact again! Dog was ok, but also not a fan.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Top tip: Best and least painful way to test if you still have chili hands is to press your fingertip to your gums for a while.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ever since the home grown pepper incident of ~1998 which involved swimming goggles full of milk, I put on latex gloves any time I'm working with chillis

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Got some in and under my contacts once, think thats the only time I have ever kneeled in agony.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

Been there, done that. Yup.

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's a much safer bet to test this on your partner's sensitive bits.
:stare: I would get murdered. Or at least banned from the bedroom for eternity.

Telsa Cola posted:

Got some in and under my contacts once, think thats the only time I have ever kneeled in agony.
Contact lenses are why I touch my eyes. Like Tiggum, thorough, repeated washing might have lowered the intensity (a tad, maybe), and hours after slicing up a jalapeño (just a jalapeño, not even something really hot) I took my lenses out. No problem! The next morning, intense pain and a new pair of lenses and a new lens case. Fortunately, I was at about day 11 of my change-every-15-days disposeable lenses so no big deal other than the dry, itchy eyes all day.

A few years later I did the exact same thing again. I am dumb. :downs:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Telsa Cola posted:

Tampon. 'Nuff said.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Tampon. 'Nuff said.

:( :hf: :(

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

simply embrace masochism

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I hosed up and swapped baking soda for baking powder on the wings air drying in the fridge.

We had frozen chicken nuggets from costco for dinner last night.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Since capsaicin is oil soluble, one thing that works is to wash your hands really well, then rub cooking oil all over them, then wash them with soap and water again. Sometimes it takes a second application of oil and another washing, but it works WAY better than just repeatedly washing with soap.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

toplitzin posted:

I hosed up and swapped baking soda for baking powder on the wings air drying in the fridge.

Urgh, you accidentally velveted chicken skin, that cannot have been anything but revolting :barf:

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Made salsa this weekend, including with a couple of fatalii variety. Note: do not wash the cutting board with hot water. Maced the kitchen, and the inlaws who were helping with the canning. Coughing and choking.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Arkhamina posted:

Made salsa this weekend, including with a couple of fatalii variety. Note: do not wash the cutting board with hot water. Maced the kitchen, and the inlaws who were helping with the canning. Coughing and choking.

That is a delicious looking picture :swoon:

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Salsa turned out great. The Shishitos didn't end in there, they are snack peppers. 18 pint jars, though!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Nice. We finished off the last of the home made salsa last week. The tomato plants don't exist yet but I'm really looking forward to another bumper crop and then painting the kitchen red while crying from the hot pepper fumes. Should be, maybe, 4 or 5 months.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pookah posted:

Urgh, you accidentally velveted chicken skin, that cannot have been anything but revolting :barf:

I threw them out before baking.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

In a minor disiaster, my no bake cheesecake never set for some reason. I never made it before so I dunno if I hosed up or just the recipe. At least it still tastes OK.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

In a minor disiaster, my no bake cheesecake never set for some reason. I never made it before so I dunno if I hosed up or just the recipe. At least it still tastes OK.

it's not a cockup, you just invented dessert alfredo

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

You need a really good hood and open windows if you're going to make pepper oil. That poo poo throws off some really intense smoke. Had to sit on the front stairs and drink beer for two hours before we could go back in. I'm just buying it from now on.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Missing Name posted:

it's not a cockup, you just invented dessert alfredo

And it's probably better than the time I accidentally invented dessert Alfredo by making Alfredo sauce with vanilla almond milk

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I wish I had one of those fancy gas grills with a burner on the side, I'd use that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

twit666 posted:

You need a really good hood and open windows if you're going to make pepper oil. That poo poo throws off some really intense smoke. Had to sit on the front stairs and drink beer for two hours before we could go back in. I'm just buying it from now on.

I made habanero oil a few months ago and just kept the heat rather low (barely a low simmer) for probably a half hour, as I've learned my lesson multiple times about cooking hot peppers at high temps...worked a charm, it's spicy as hell, and didn't gas anyone out.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
without thinking I put hot sauce (just Louisiana, nothing particularly pungent) directly into hot roux

every time I make gumbo my children still ask if they're going to get tear-gassed

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Any good Thanksgiving tales this year? I am doing mine tomorrow, so still have opportunity. Did a charity one on Day of, and we did manage to make one of the turkeys with a (thankfully paper) packet of organs. We carved and served in Nescos, so no one was the wiser.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Well it's not thanksgiving exactly, but I just got to break up a fight between two gay guys in a Thai restaurant and then my brother called me a oval office and I cried and accidentally admitted that I'm pansexual and my husband is my wife so basically happy thanksgiving and I hate my fat dick brother.

But also I'm pretty sure than the cranberry relish has too much orange. Anyways thanksgiving is tomorrow so it'll be fine I guess.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Nothing says the holidays like family drama. Sorry your brother is a jerk.

I skip the orange in mine since a friend is allergic.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Arkhamina posted:

Nothing says the holidays like family drama. Sorry your brother is a jerk.

I skip the orange in mine since a friend is allergic.

Thanks! Sorry to unload. Citrus allergies must be awful!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Of the 'what a dumb, weird allergy' friends I have, one is allergic to celery. You think, big whupp, it's like strings and water, how often does a person eat it?

It's a component in many 'broth' or natural flavor things.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Arkhamina posted:

Of the 'what a dumb, weird allergy' friends I have, one is allergic to celery. You think, big whupp, it's like strings and water, how often does a person eat it?

It's a component in many 'broth' or natural flavor things.

Depending on the severity of the allergy, celery is up there with onions/garlic in terms of making it really difficult to eat out.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Here’s my Thanksgiving story:
About 20 years ago my aunt and uncle had the whole extended family over for thanksgiving and they were cooking up a storm. The kitchen was super hot. Especially the oven. And the cabinet above the oven. The booze was stored in that cabinet. One of the bottles finally broke from the heat so alcohol (Wild Turkey!) spilled out of the cabinet right onto the hot stovetop and poof went the whole area.

They put it out pretty quickly, all things considered, and only the cabinet and part of the wall were permanently damaged. We had some nice family bonding time out in the snow waiting for the smoke to clear. The running joke for a few years was who was hosting the Thanksgiving Bonfire that year.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Huh, one turkey destroyed the other

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'll bet the smell was pretty fowl.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
But... Did you eat the turkey?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arkhamina posted:

But... Did you eat the turkey?

I don’t think so. They used the extinguisher to put out the fire so I think everything was ruined after that. It hard to remember back that far though! :corsair:

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

toplitzin posted:

I did this a month or two back. Didn't realize my mistake until they tasted awful and i noticed that the barbecue sauce was bubbling when it came in contact with them.

Also in the past few months, I touched my face extensively after handling a lot of freshly ground black pepper. It felt kind of funny but that's about it

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not my cockup, but I had so much dripping from the 22 lb. turkey I roasted for Thanksgiving I didn't even need to add any broth to make my gravy. Make my roux, pour in the drippings (Cuisipro fat separator is a godsend, seriously), stir stir stir. Ask my sister-in-law to stir while I'm carving the turkey...she gets impatient waiting for it to reduce and thicken and adds a cornstarch slurry. Like, a lot of it. Instant inedible gravy gloop. I didn't realize it until I went to pour some from the gravy boat and it kinda...fell onto my plate in individual globs. I was a very unhappy camper...not asking for her (extremely basic, low-effort) help any more.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The best bit is that she apparently had so little faith in your cooking abilities that she was like "eh they won't notice anything's amiss"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh now I'm angry on behalf of that gravy :argh: Beautiful rich turkey gravy turned to gloop because of a lazy person being stupid and lazy.
I had a sort of similar thing happen a few christmases ago.
I was making the usual things and also had a slow cooker to make a big batch of turkey stock, because we always run out of good gravy before we run out of everything else, and gravy is v. important. After the meal, and clearing up, I come back to check, and find my lovely stock, stone-cold in an unplugged slow-cooker.

"I thought you had forgotten about it, so I turned it off!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

these gravy stories are genuinely upsetting