Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mymla posted:

I like how both episodes of what if so far have managed to be better movies in 30 minutes than the movies they were based on were in 2 hours.

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first episode isn't even in the same ballpark of good as Captain America TFA. Everything about it being "good" is built on your familiarity with that film. But it has none of the heart that Evans brought to the role and Atwell was sleeping through her lines.

Like, for gently caress's sake

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah these stories work in 25 minutes because of your familiarity with those 2 hour movies. I suppose you can watch them without ever seeing the movies but that would seem to me to be missing the point

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

Can't believe the guy wasting away from stage 4 cancer wasn't at the top of his game

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I can't believe someone critiqued Boseman's performance. Never change BSS.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

I can't believe someone critiqued Boseman's performance. Never change BSS.

Don't put that on BSS. Put that on whoever said such a dumb thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Yeah these stories work in 25 minutes because of your familiarity with those 2 hour movies. I suppose you can watch them without ever seeing the movies but that would seem to me to be missing the point

They were saying the episodes were BETTER than the films and I'm still irritated by that

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

They were saying the episodes were BETTER than the films and I'm still irritated by that

Neither movie was good, and both episodes were good. Not complicated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
We're pretending Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy weren't good now?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The first two acts of Captain America 1 are fantastic and GOTG is amazing back-to-front

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

No, just that guy

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm inclined to think that the what if crew setup does have enough potential to make a movie better than guardians, but the episode as is, I dunno. I can see an argument for it but also it's kinda unfair to compare the two

site fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 19, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

The First Avenger is really solid up until the train sequence, and then it crams like 90 minutes of story into a half-hour, the pacing just goes completely off the rails.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I can't really do a hard-hitting critique of captain america, because I only watched it once when it was fairly new. I just remember being incredibly bored and disinterested the entire time.
GotG is one of the least funny "comedies" I've ever seen, without a single likeable character or funny joke for its entire runtime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I'm inclined to think that the what if crew setup does have enough potential to make a movie better than guardians, but the episode as is, I dunno. I can see an argument for it but also it's kinda unfair to compare the two

Nothing about Thanos works if you aren't familiar with Thanos from Infinity War and End Game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mymla posted:

I can't really do a hard-hitting critique of captain america, because I only watched it once when it was fairly new. I just remember being incredibly bored and disinterested the entire time.
GotG is one of the least funny "comedies" I've ever seen, without a single likeable character or funny joke for its entire runtime.

what the gently caress is this poo poo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Nothing about Thanos works if you aren't familiar with Thanos from Infinity War and End Game.

Bedsides specifically the captain genocide joke I don't think there's anything there that couldn't be rejiggered into was just previously an awful space pirate guy

E: actually thinking about it out seems like you could just have Thanos joining the crew after Cha Cha (super gonna call him that now) talks him out of it as a scene in the movie

site fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 19, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo

I'm kind of interested in how wrong the next post will be. Because it's building up fast with each one.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

First Avenger would be improved a thousand percent if it didn't have a generic score they got from a rights free sound effects CD

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mymla posted:

Boo this man

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just watched both What Ifs. Not bad, nice to see they're not just an excuse to kill off characters in various ways. Wonder if they'll have X-Men or FF stories. The animation reminds me of Telltale games.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Mymla posted:

Youre tripping

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1428797151983804423?s=19

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know the Disney+ stuff so far, including Mando, shouldn't make this a surprise but this'll be the show where it really hits how far special effects (or budgets) have come in the MCU. The thing that got it all started was a movie with Iron Man armour now we're getting a TV show full of 'em.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I really like What If #2. What if #1 felt a bit too fast and I thought that was just the format, but #2 just felt so perfectly crafted. I also felt like Boseman got to show off his humor moreso than he got to in his other MCU appearances.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mymla posted:

Who hurt you?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really like What If #2. What if #1 felt a bit too fast and I thought that was just the format, but #2 just felt so perfectly crafted. I also felt like Boseman got to show off his humor moreso than he got to in his other MCU appearances.
Yeah, I really didn't care for the pacing of Captain Carter. If episode 2 hadn't been Boseman's last role, I don't know if I would have bothered. I'm glad I did though, the show has potential.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
What If? was better as a comic where nine out of ten times it led to the explosion of the universe and the death of Spiderman in particular. There, it made the ten percent of happy endings actually feel earned. Watching this show cements that there's three or four archetypes that MCU characters belong to and that swapping them in and out of situations is new paint on an old car.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Black Monday is one of the greatest shows on TV/Streaming so if his writing had anything to do with that then this is great news. But it kinda seems like a big job for someone with only a little bit of comedy writing experience.

Anyway my prediction is they're finally going to do Stiltman

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Anyway my prediction is they're finally going to do Stiltman

That’d be fun. I’m hoping Stingray shows up.

I am concerned that Armour Wars could very easily feel like a retread of FatWS — America has lost its hero and now the wrong people are being brought in to fill the vacuum.

I mean, I feel like the whole point of the original comic run was that Marvel had a lot of tech-based characters running around and this was their way of clearing the board. The MCU doesn’t have that “problem”, so I’m not sure what the hook is going to be. Other than the obvious, of course:

“America has lost its hero and now the wrong people are being brought in to fill the vacuum.”

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Another key moment of Armor Wars was Tony going after the Guardsmen in The Vault and Steve trying to stop him, which was (AFAIK) their first moment of conflict and damage to their friendship. I wonder if they’ll revisit it with Rhodey and Sam.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I wonder if they'll have Rhodey accidently ice a guy in a knock off suit like Tony did Titanium Man. It was pretty loving horrorific in the comic. (Accidently set him on fire when they were fighting over the ocean, and fun science fact, if ignited you can't put out a titanium fire by submerging it in water).

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Skwirl posted:

I wonder if they'll have Rhodey accidently ice a guy in a knock off suit like Tony did Titanium Man. It was pretty loving horrorific in the comic. (Accidently set him on fire when they were fighting over the ocean, and fun science fact, if ignited you can't put out a titanium fire by submerging it in water).

Wait... Why would they use actual Titanium? Tony doesn't use actual Iron does he?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BooDooBoo posted:

Wait... Why would they use actual Titanium? Tony doesn't use actual Iron does he?

It was the 80s.

Edit: Looking it up, it looks like that Titanium Man was a the second one and was a mutant. Bringing back the Titanium man that Tony killed would be a really good way for Xavier to gently caress with him.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Huh I had just assumed armor wars was an Arno stark thing. Guess I should check out Wikipedia

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Huh I had just assumed armor wars was an Arno stark thing. Guess I should check out Wikipedia

It's a pretty good and relatively short arc (6 or 8 issues IIRC) if you have Unlimited or something I recommend checking it out.

Also has this panel that should be a dated joke, but actually became way more hilarious.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Oof, that’s awesome

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Yakmouth posted:

That’d be fun. I’m hoping Stingray shows up.

I am concerned that Armour Wars could very easily feel like a retread of FatWS — America has lost its hero and now the wrong people are being brought in to fill the vacuum.

Stark is consistently the most paranoid/possessive about the Iron Man tech, so with him gone, it's extra easy to imagine it falling into the "wrong" hands (actual wrong hands and also people who just want it in general) which then leads to Rhodey running around trying to re-claim it all

Hell if it wasn't for Sony's involvement there's a War Machine VS Spider-Man fight scene that writes itself, along with a protracted conversation that includes the line "Wait, Tony gave you what?"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Power Broker gets ahold of a bunch of old suits which are promptly stolen, Rhodes and Spider-Man break Hammer out to help deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Retro Futurist posted:

The Power Broker gets ahold of a bunch of old suits which are promptly stolen, Rhodes and Spider-Man break Hammer out to help deal with them.

Exactly, that’s what I’m afraid of :cheeky:

Like, Cheadle said in an interview that the series is going to explore his injury and also bring back Iron Patriot, right? So I don’t know what Rhodes’s status in the military is post-endgame, but I can see the storyline being that his disability gets him retired from active service, so someone new takes on the Iron Patriot mantle.

I don’t want that to be the storyline, but that’s why I’m feeling cautious.