Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer pal

bad guy posted:

drat dude you've been reading so many stone cold classic works of genius over the past few years. what's it feel like? can you actually feel your soul expanding?

its been very gratifying for sure

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

How Wonderful! posted:

This summer I did not finish In Search of Lost Time but I got pretty far. It has taken me a ton of years because I don't like the old Montcrieff translations and really liked the job Lydia Davis did on Swann's Way. Well, I still wish she'd just been allowed to do all of them because the different Penguin translators feel pretty uneven to me, but they're all definitely a lot better than what was available when I was younger.

I think Proust is the pinnacle of weird creep pervo novelists, I think his obsessiveness and luridness is a billion times more persuasive and narcotic than more explicitly over-the-top people like Dennis Cooper or whoever. You sort of get roped into the narrator's mania and soon enough you too are afraid of telephones and just wandering around going Albertine Albertine... Anne Carson was right about this all along. You kind of just get stoned off his methods of looking and unpeeling things. It's too bad he has such an unfounded reputation as this very delicate, brittle novelist, because he's not, at all.

I also read my friend Alice Hall's new book Universal Casket this week, wonderful.

I am reading Swann's Way right now for the first time, the Montcrieff translation, and am very much enjoying it. Not finding it problematic in the least. How would you say Lydia Davis differed?

I mean I should probably just get off my rear end and read it in French but I lack vocabulary in aesthetics

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Vei
Reading The Collectors, the sequel to The Camel Club by David Baldacci

I just discovered this thriller author and I'm enjoying his stuff because he goes really into the weeds in terms of govt agency details and all that sort of thing that I am 100% clueless about.

As far as thrillers go, so far he's been good, but what really captivates me are all the details about high falutin life in Washington DC

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

A Highly Unlikely Event, this bizarre little book about a dystopian future where the world is ruled by fast food places. Then there's time travel, the Vonych manuscript and a bunch of other silliness. It's not what I expected going in but I'm hooked.

3D Megadoodoo

Vei posted:

Reading The Collectors, the sequel to The Camel Club by David Baldacci

I just discovered this thriller author and I'm enjoying his stuff because he goes really into the weeds in terms of govt agency details and all that sort of thing that I am 100% clueless about.

As far as thrillers go, so far he's been good, but what really captivates me are all the details about high falutin life in Washington DC

I've only ever read one Baldacci novel and I still sometimes think about the fact that the only reason they got the bad guy was that the protagonist was so fat he just lied on top of the murderer until the murderer died. That, of course, is appropriate as the book's title was Memory Man, and it gave me like, a memory, man!

Finger Prince

Do kids (ie under 25 (if you're under 25, hey kid, how's it going?)) still read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?

3D Megadoodoo

Finger Prince posted:

Do kids (ie under 25 (if you're under 25, hey kid, how's it going?)) still read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?

Huh, IDK but you just gave me an idea of what to get for my nephew for Yule.

I mean hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, not a kid.

xcheopis

Descendant of Dunsany:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/rewild-dunsany-estate-ireland

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

bad guy

Glenn Ganges in: The River At Night, a graphic novel about time and having a hard time getting to sleep at night. Very relatable.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I'm halfway through Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko. YA coming-of-age story in a kingdom where magic and demons exist. I'm enjoying it so far.

nitsuga

If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler was a trip. I’ll have to revisit it before too long. Also finished The Pleasure of My Company (more good stuff) and am about halfway through A Clockwork Orange (with the 21st chapter to look forward to).

ulvir

Bilirubin posted:

I am reading Swann's Way right now for the first time, the Montcrieff translation, and am very much enjoying it. Not finding it problematic in the least. How would you say Lydia Davis differed?

I mean I should probably just get off my rear end and read it in French but I lack vocabulary in aesthetics

if you stick with the rest of the volumes the narrator becomes really obsessive (and possessive) about a character named Albertine later on, like vol. 3 and out, I’m guessing they were referring to that

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
No that happens in every translation I imagine and in the original, I can't really put my finger on why I disliked the Montcrieff translation, it just felt stilted and... I guess cautious to me. As far as I know it's not an inaccurate translation so I guess it comes down to preference.

Incidentally the poet Anne Carson has a long weird essay about Albertine that ran in the London Review of Books in 2014 that I like a lot, you can see it here.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

nut

I posted it in the discord a couple days ago but I read this essay defending salinger https://www.athwart.org/salinger-an-introduction/, which motivated me to unearth nine stories and reread it. I read all of salinger's stuff when I was pretty young and loved the glass family but wasn't sure why outside of a vague sadness and hopelessness I thought he captured really well, so it has been very nice and comfy to reread so much later on.

bad guy

huh, interesting. that article identifies exactly what i hate so much about salinger; the creepy sentimentalizing of childhood as a time of supposed "innocence," the obsession with memorializing that "lost" innocence. to make children his avatars of innocence he denies them any kind of personhood. i don't like it!

bad guy

How Wonderful! posted:

No that happens in every translation I imagine and in the original, I can't really put my finger on why I disliked the Montcrieff translation, it just felt stilted and... I guess cautious to me. As far as I know it's not an inaccurate translation so I guess it comes down to preference.

Incidentally the poet Anne Carson has a long weird essay about Albertine that ran in the London Review of Books in 2014 that I like a lot, you can see it here.

i fkin love anne carson, and i love her "essays" more than i love her "poems." her essays are imo her most genuinely original contribution to poetry

nut

bad guy posted:

huh, interesting. that article identifies exactly what i hate so much about salinger; the creepy sentimentalizing of childhood as a time of supposed "innocence," the obsession with memorializing that "lost" innocence. to make children his avatars of innocence he denies them any kind of personhood. i don't like it!

that's fair, I guess I just read it more as looking to children in desperation to find something that feels lost through life. On the other hand, those interactions with kids, I think, occur across characters at least in the glass family so he's clearly idealizing too. I always liked his stories more for how they depicted the mundane disappointment of suburban life and I absolutely think it is creepy when seymour kisses the kid's foot in bananafish.

take the moon

by sebmojo
books r wack. wwhy dont u put some effort in and make a movie you nerd

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

How Wonderful!

bad guy posted:

i fkin love anne carson, and i love her "essays" more than i love her "poems." her essays are imo her most genuinely original contribution to poetry

Me too. I always kind of lump her in with Susan Howe in that her essays mean a lot more to me than her poems.

A little while ago one of my friends bought that little box set of chapbooks and pamphlets she put out because he said he didn't like it and was probably never going to take it off the shelf again, but I never got around to reading it, maybe I'll do that this weekend.

I also really liked that weird Catullus themed box set she did about a decade ago, I remember I was living in an apartment with a long corridor leading to a set of stairs and one night my little poetry group came over and we just unfurled the entire thing down the hallway. I wonder if I have that kicking around somewhere too or if it got lost in the half dozen moves between now and then.

bad guy

How Wonderful! posted:

Me too. I always kind of lump her in with Susan Howe in that her essays mean a lot more to me than her poems.

yes absolutely, they are two of a kind and i love them, although with howe i would have a harder time choosing between the poems and the essays...carson's work runs on a real continuum such that the line between essay and poem gets blurred, like "the glass essay" is "actually" a poem, whereas howe's stuff is more discontinuous.

another one who's sort of verging on that territory is alice oswald. do you know her? she's a classicist like carson. some of her poems are indescribably beautiful.

How Wonderful! posted:

A little while ago one of my friends bought that little box set of chapbooks and pamphlets she put out because he said he didn't like it and was probably never going to take it off the shelf again, but I never got around to reading it, maybe I'll do that this weekend.

I also really liked that weird Catullus themed box set she did about a decade ago, I remember I was living in an apartment with a long corridor leading to a set of stairs and one night my little poetry group came over and we just unfurled the entire thing down the hallway. I wonder if I have that kicking around somewhere too or if it got lost in the half dozen moves between now and then.

Nox, yeah, it's good, also way overwhelming

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I re-read Fernando Pessoa's The Book Of Disquiet on a long car ride last week. I'm generally not the kind of reader where a book connects with me on a "deep" or "emotional" level, but this one is one of a few exceptions. Sometimes it (still, somehow, despite being kind of over his clearly melancholic/depressive tone) feels like he pulled the thoughts directly from my head.

Great book.

Next up: Re-reading Finnegan's Wake

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

How Wonderful!

bad guy posted:

another one who's sort of verging on that territory is alice oswald. do you know her? she's a classicist like carson. some of her poems are indescribably beautiful.

Only Memorial and Nobody both of which I love a lot. What's another good one to read? Also on that note do you know Caroline Bergvall's stuff?

How Wonderful!

magic cactus posted:

I re-read Fernando Pessoa's The Book Of Disquiet on a long car ride last week.

hell yeah

ulvir

pessoa owns

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

picked my flannery o'connor collected stories back up to go through again. forgot about one of my favorites, dipshit and the gorilla...i may have the title a little wrong. its about a dipshit and a gorilla.

she's a great writer

bad guy

How Wonderful! posted:

Only Memorial and Nobody both of which I love a lot. What's another good one to read? Also on that note do you know Caroline Bergvall's stuff?

dart is wonderful especially if you have a couple of hours to set aside and read the whole thing out loud cover to cover. it's not long. i mean, it's long for a poem but it's not long for a book. falling awake is good too, there's a poem about tithonus called "46 minutes in the life of the dawn" at the end that's both an unbelievably gorgeously precise description of dawn arriving and a headily philosophical musing about death and desire and all those good poetry things and it has a neat gimmick which is that it has hash marks down the side each side which represent a second each so if you read and pause as indicated by the hash marks then it will take 46 minutes, and if you do it starting at 4:17 am on the summer solstice it will coincide precisely with the actual sunrise. both of those poems i mentioned i would call "murmury"...she's really great at murmurs.

How Wonderful! posted:

Also on that note do you know Caroline Bergvall's stuff?

no! checking her out right now.

bad guy

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

picked my flannery o'connor collected stories back up to go through again. forgot about one of my favorites, dipshit and the gorilla...i may have the title a little wrong. its about a dipshit and a gorilla.

she's a great writer

lol she never would have used the word "dipshit," she was way too much of a lady, but that's a better title for it than "enoch and the gorilla." have you read wise blood? it's got a reworked version of that story in it

bad guy

ulvir posted:

pessoa owns

its so wild that he was like 5 or 6 of the greatest modernist writers of all time

bad guy

and he did it all while being a professional failure and an alcoholic shut in who never had sex. life goals.

take the moon

by sebmojo
ran into a copy of the bone clocks while sorting books and took it as a sign i should finish it up

its not the worst. just kind of not the best

----------------

beer pal

joining the byob proust gang, just started swann's way

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

take the moon

by sebmojo

take the moon posted:

ran into a copy of the bone clocks while sorting books and took it as a sign i should finish it up

its not the worst. just kind of not the best

my hold expired on this but im reading absalom absalom again now. its not faulkners best but prolly not his worst

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

I started reading a historical novel and I'm only in the second book (chapter) and the protagonist has already been robbed, sold to slavery, and is about to have his balls chopped off.

e: Also since I don't have the dust jacket, I GISed the cover and

original cover (1951):

modern e-book cover:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 5, 2021

3D Megadoodoo

He didn't have his balls chopped off but I still think "protagonist is really loving stupid due to being born rich, and gets continuously clowned on by every one-bit hoodlum he meets because he thinks they care about who his dad was a bloo bloo bloo" is the most tiresome of premises for a book, and a lot of historical novels use it because ???

ulvir

beer pal posted:

joining the byob proust gang, just started swann's way

hell yes. I just finished time regained this week, the whole work owns

now i’m reading If this is a man, Levi was such a good writer

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

book brag!
I just got a first edition of "On Thermonuclear War" (with the original dust cover !)

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Gramps

The new Stevie King called "Later" is really enjoyable thus far. Can't wait to finish it so I can tear into" running the light" by Sam Tallent.

3D Megadoodoo

Doctor Dogballs posted:

book brag!
I just got a first edition of "On Thermonuclear War" (with the original dust cover !)

is it a guidebook?

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

3D Megadoodoo posted:

is it a guidebook?

that is probably the best way to describe it in one word

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I've been reading 'How Music Works' by David Byrne. It's been fun, I'm trying to learn more about uhhh... history of music, music tech and the industry and such. Not a bad intro read with a few tangents about the Talking Heads and some of Byrne's, sometimes I feel like the examples helped to drive the chapter's premise a lot and other times it just seemed like him regaling about his past. Overall the book seems like a nice light weight introduction into the sort of thing I wanted out of it, if you're someone who has worked on music or follow a lot of in-depth music background stuff it probably is rehashing a lot of what you know though.