Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pork Lift posted:

Whose line is it anyway, maybe?

If you mean sitcom the office is probably the only contender depending on whether you prefer silly manchildren to on the nose workplace misery.

But enough about Ricky Gervais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm probably forgetting something obvious, but has there been a single successful adaptation from UK to USA comedy?

Thick of It to Veep, albeit I don't really care for post-Iannucci Veep.

I know there's a few very successful classic US sitcoms that were adaptations like Steptoe & Son becoming Sanford & Son and Till Death Do Us Part becoming All In The Family but I'm not really familiar with either version.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I knew I was forgetting something obvious. All I could think of was Dad's Army US.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
US had three different versions of Fawlty Towers, and all of them failed miserably. One of them had Bea Arthur as the main character.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Outside of sitcoms the biggest I can think of is House of Cards. Which started great!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The fact it's an American adaptation isn't the problem, it's the fact it's a CBS adaptation is.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Attempting to watch ye olde Hippies, I have never heard a laugh track legit be abused so much. Was it always this bad with laugh tracks? has the passage of time in a laugh track free world dulled my senses?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Shameless ran for much longer in the US, didn't it? That seems pretty successful. Even if nobody I know has ever watched any of it.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Does a website exist that will give you TV listings from the late 1980s/early 1990s? Just for terrestrial TV so BBC 1/2, regional ITV, and Channel 4. And probably S4C as well if possible.

I'm looking for a half remembered TV show from my youth that was on around the same time as Lost In Space repeats on Sundays and figured that this would probably be the best place to ask.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Gambrinus posted:

Does a website exist that will give you TV listings from the late 1980s/early 1990s? Just for terrestrial TV so BBC 1/2, regional ITV, and Channel 4. And probably S4C as well if possible.

I'm looking for a half remembered TV show from my youth that was on around the same time as Lost In Space repeats on Sundays and figured that this would probably be the best place to ask.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/issues should do you at least the BBC channels.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Marvellous! That's a good place to start. Thanks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gambrinus posted:

Give us something to work with and someone will remember it.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Give us something to work with and someone will remember it.

American, in colour. Something to do with aliens taking over humans? But I think they were disguised as humans, so you didn't see the aliens. There used to be text setting the scene throughout the programme. I don't know the technical term for it but when you get something like "CHICAGO: SPECIAL ALIENS INVESTIGATION OFFICE" or "LAKE STRANGE: CRASH SITE" along the bottom of the screen so you know where you are.

I think it was white text and would appear one letter at a time like it was being typed out.

I think it had adverts so must have been HTV Wales or S4C. S4C overlapped a lot with Channel 4 back then I think. I don't think we could pick up Channel 4 very well at home so it may not have been on there but could be mistaken about it.

Not a kids programme, but I enjoyed it.

As I said, late 80s/early 90s. I think it was on Sunday afternoons after a roast dinner, so probably about 2pm ish. I think it was on around the same time as they used to show Lost In Space (the original 60s series). So I presume it was either the programme before or the programme after.

I'll be astounded if anyone figures it out.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Could it have been V?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Married With Children was partially based on In Sickness and in Health and that was hugely successful, though it changed so much it's only a loose adaptation. Sanford and Son is well thought of among some people but I haven't watched it, might be poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LesterGroans posted:

Could it have been V?

That was my first thought, the series rather than the miniseries. They cheaped out so the aliens didn't even have the voice modulators by that point, and I don't recall there being anything nasty in it that would've stopped it airing in that timeslot (unlike the two miniseries').

Doesn't fit the name of the show appearing 'typed' out on the screen because it's only one letter, but I know in the past I've managed to combine multiple memories into one so I wouldn't write it off just due to that. Also V rules (but not the series, sadly).

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

That was my first thought, the series rather than the miniseries. They cheaped out so the aliens didn't even have the voice modulators by that point, and I don't recall there being anything nasty in it that would've stopped it airing in that timeslot (unlike the two miniseries').

Doesn't fit the name of the show appearing 'typed' out on the screen because it's only one letter, but I know in the past I've managed to combine multiple memories into one so I wouldn't write it off just due to that. Also V rules (but not the series, sadly).

I'm pretty sure that's it! Well done both. That's been bugging me for years, on and off.

Youtube won't let me watch it as it's age restricted...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Gambrinus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's it! Well done both. That's been bugging me for years, on and off.

Youtube won't let me watch it as it's age restricted...

Just wait til you turn 18, then you'll know.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Mentioning S4C reminded me of a show I used to watch every week, even though I had no idea what anyone was saying

Shotolau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjnikuBooFc

Night time clay pigeon shooting with a massive target frame.

Loved that show.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tsietisin posted:

Mentioning S4C reminded me of a show I used to watch every week, even though I had no idea what anyone was saying

Shotolau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjnikuBooFc

Night time clay pigeon shooting with a massive target frame.

Loved that show.

Not gonna lie I would probably watch that. I like shows where the contestants don't have any expectation of like, fame, where you get to just watch people being talented at their job or hobby. Like I used to really enjoy One Man and His Dog just because the people and the dogs were so fuckin good at herding sheep.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is Rasus still a thing? Goddamned chariot racing because why not.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

If we're doing 'name that show', I have a vivid memory of seeing a sci-fi one in the 90s where the bad guy has a blank face and is wearing a trenchcoat or something, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I've tried searching for it but I just get endless clickbait articles. Any guesses?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Blank Face and a trenchcoat screams The Question, but that would not fit the late 90s scifi and badguy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Or the Blank from Dick Tracy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There were faceless aliens on the X-files, I don't think they wore trenchcoats though.They were all sealed up to avoid the black goo.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The_Doctor posted:

Or the Blank from Dick Tracy.

This is definitely it, cheers. Seeing that in early childhood was traumatic but not remembering it was worse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not a TV show, but the bounty hunters in Critters appear that way too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

goatface posted:

There were faceless aliens on the X-files, I don't think they wore trenchcoats though.They were all sealed up to avoid the black goo.

Oh I watched those eps recently. They were in boiler suits, with their eyes and mouth sewn up.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not a TV show, but the bounty hunters in Critters appear that way too.

They look like a toy company's wet dream. Glow in the dark and no facial details to paint.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gromit posted:

They look like a toy company's wet dream. Glow in the dark and no facial details to paint.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
It's an old "reality" TV show, but I've started watching Hunted from 2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunted_(2015_TV_series)) and it's somewhat compelling (on the proviso that, as a reality show, you understand it's a bit contrived). The only reason I got into it is because I had a training course last week and the trainer was on the show as one of the team members trying to hunt people down. It was cool to hear some behind the scenes stuff from him.

The wiki page explains some of the underlying processes, which I think would have been better for the audience if they were explained in the show. Of course they don't have access to the licence plate recognition system, but they simulate it in a way that would replicate real-world interactions with that system.

Anyway, as a filthy foreigner I hadn't heard of the show and it's fun enough yelling at fugitives who insist on visiting their kids because they've not seen them for 4 days.
Turns out they are doing one down here in Australia soon, but I think covid has really put that one to bed for a while.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hunted was a fun watch! Especially (spoilers for anyone who wants to watch blind the guy who got really into it and ended up spying on the hunters from a tent and the two guys who “forgot” to empty the trash on their email with enquires about a campsite - but then went the opposite way and disappeared into the Muslim community around Bradford / Birmingham while the hunters were checking out campsites on other side of the country.

I recall that the “faked” parts where ANPR, phone and cash withdrawals, where the camera crew would phone in details if any of those were used.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Which one of the team members was doing your course?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

It was David Toddington, the guy standing next to the woman in the chair on the left. It was a course on intel and online investigations. He runs https://www.toddington.com/ and comes across as a nice guy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
On a similar theme, can I get some love for Wanted? I loved that show. The old one, not the new show with the same name.

Here's a climax of one of the episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5j2dkSL4V8&t=176s

I loved this when I was a kid, so exciting, and I think I've posted about it here before. It cost C4 an arm and a leg to do.

Shout out to the links guy whose entire job was to follow the cameraman around and point an antenna at a helicopter. It was stuff like this that got me into my AV career today.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 25, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gambrinus posted:

American, in colour. Something to do with aliens taking over humans? But I think they were disguised as humans, so you didn't see the aliens. There used to be text setting the scene throughout the programme. I don't know the technical term for it but when you get something like "CHICAGO: SPECIAL ALIENS INVESTIGATION OFFICE" or "LAKE STRANGE: CRASH SITE" along the bottom of the screen so you know where you are.

I think it was white text and would appear one letter at a time like it was being typed out.

I think it had adverts so must have been HTV Wales or S4C. S4C overlapped a lot with Channel 4 back then I think. I don't think we could pick up Channel 4 very well at home so it may not have been on there but could be mistaken about it.

Not a kids programme, but I enjoyed it.

As I said, late 80s/early 90s. I think it was on Sunday afternoons after a roast dinner, so probably about 2pm ish. I think it was on around the same time as they used to show Lost In Space (the original 60s series). So I presume it was either the programme before or the programme after.

I'll be astounded if anyone figures it out.

UFO the 70s TV series?
I have half memories of sunday afternoon TV in the 80s, as we'd usually goto my grandparents and it would be just sitting watching TV.
So there would be Lost in Space, The Time Machine, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, UFO, Beachcombers, Pob.

Also Captain Scarlet. They had blank face aliens I think. Could be wrong.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 26, 2021

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
This series of Ghosts was just good, not great, but I think it exposed a fact about ghosts and the legal system:

Early on in this series, we see the first couple of hours after Julian died. Robin mocks him as he tries to run out the front gate and comes back again.

In the last episode, all the ghosts run down the driveway chasing Allison. They run right by the front gate that stopped Juilian. They can do this because the solicitor finalized the property transfer from last series, granting the driveway back to Button House.

Ghost Law must be as complicated as Tree Law here in the states.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

fischtick posted:

This series of Ghosts was just good, not great, but I think it exposed a fact about ghosts and the legal system:

Early on in this series, we see the first couple of hours after Julian died. Robin mocks him as he tries to run out the front gate and comes back again.

In the last episode, all the ghosts run down the driveway chasing Allison. They run right by the front gate that stopped Juilian. They can do this because the solicitor finalized the property transfer from last series, granting the driveway back to Button House.

Ghost Law must be as complicated as Tree Law here in the states.

The Poet ghost needs to move on, his shtick is old and extremely obnoxious now.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Watching it weekly on TV. If its been established that these extremely bored ghosts can gently caress, how did Allison not wake up to a bacchanalian orgy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Holby City is cancelled, so they're saying "gently caress it" and bringing back dead characters now

Also Jac Naylor has a brain tumour so she'll die in the final episode and it'll turn out to have all been a baby Jac's med student dream