Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, LiS seems mostly localized to the west it seems (this is in Colorado and the first two were in Oregon).

I think LiS2 is the only exception so far as that game takes place across 5 states (Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, and Arizona).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

AlexF posted:

So Angus and Julia Stone just announced a new album called "Life is Strange". The announcement is a little odd.

I mean it's obvious which game these are / were meant for. But not a word about any sort of tie in or if this is a soundtrack of any kind.

God I loved their song in LiS 1 so I am hype as poo poo for this soundtrack

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/08/20/how-life-is-strange-inspired-tales-of-arise

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting, is the Tales Of series any good?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

do you like anime and/or JRPGs? How do you feel about melodrama and hearing 6-8 characters say the names of their attack moves 400 times?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Tales of Symphonia was anime jrpg crack when I was a teenager, but in retrospect the story is bonkers and super melodramatic.

Tales of Berseria is the most recent most highly regarded if you're curious. Tales of Vesteria is also high up there but a decade older. The games have been pretty exclusively console until recently so unless you have a ps2-4 sitting around you're not going to be able to play too many of them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha. And sort of related, how well received is the Life is Strange series in Japan out of curiosity (I know every game so far has gotten dubbed and ported over there at least)?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Larryb posted:

Gotcha. And sort of related, how well received is the Life is Strange series in Japan out of curiosity (I know every game so far has gotten dubbed and ported over there at least)?

I'm also curious about that. A bunch of popular v-tubers played the game so I'm guessing it's at least a cult hit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7QEdl9whzQ

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m guessing it at least has a following of some kind since they keep releasing the games there but I’d think a lot of it would be a bit too western centric to really translate properly.

Can’t speak for the first two games (though maybe they’ll add the JP voices in as an option for the Remastered versions) but I have played LiS2 in Japanese out of curiosity and there were a few oddities that stuck out for me:

-Some instances of characters speaking Spanish are removed and replaced by normal Japanese (particularly the conversation between Sean and the immigrant couple near the end of Episode 5, which sort of defeats the point of that scene in my opinion)

-For some reason they didn’t bother to translate “I Found A Way” and “I’m Willing” so they just had Cassidy’s VA sing them in English instead.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I will say there is absolutely nothing even approaching Life is Strange in any of the tales games, and there is, quite literally, a 0% chance Tales of Arise is remotely similar to LiS in any way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

I will say there is absolutely nothing even approaching Life is Strange in any of the tales games, and there is, quite literally, a 0% chance Tales of Arise is remotely similar to LiS in any way.

Oh I'm sure, it's just funny to have the Tales guy say that stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All I know is that Japanese and Western game developers alike fukken love Twin Peaks and Life is Strange fits neatly into that continuity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

First 15 minutes of gameplay from IGN. I peeked just a little but I want to be chaste!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BP8FC4s_zY

Here is that loving amazing song from the intro though. The OST is gonna be so hype!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjTNKdSwOX4

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still curious how they’re going to handle the ending choice from the first game since Steph is bound to talk about Arcadia Bay at some point.

In other news, some fan is currently making a GBA demake of the original Life is Strange and just released the first episode:

https://lifeis2d.itch.io/life-is-2-d

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Short clip from Gamescom on how Alex's empathy power can distort and alter the world around her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvJh17h8oD8

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Short clip from Gamescom on how Alex's empathy power can distort and alter the world around her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvJh17h8oD8

This game is giving me horror vibes and I kind of like it. Looking forward to seeing how Alex’s power inevitably goes horribly wrong near the end of the game.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1432819708923875335

Official account retweeted it...uhhhh is it too late to scrap it?

edit: oh boy and the people behind 13 reasons why that didn't get awful ugh

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 1, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That sounds….unique. Though personally I think an animated series would suit LiS better (especially if it looked like the one they made for the Switch trailer).

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

That sounds….unique. Though personally I think an animated series would suit LiS better (especially if it looked like the one they made for the Switch trailer).

Bad you can say bad , yeah but animation is expensive and then they'd probably try to use non union and that's a whole can of worms.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, but you can do more with animation and it would present the opportunity for the game cast to reprise their roles (or if you want non-union, use the BtS cast instead).

But yeah, I’d kind of preferred that this project stayed dead but maybe there’s a slim chance they could surprise us (I’m not holding my breath though)

On the bright side, True Colors finally drops next week (with the bonus episode coming on the 30th and the remastered versions of the first two games being pushed back to next year).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 1, 2021

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Yeah of glad we're not getting Game of Thrones'd and I can actually point people to the source material instead of a decade with no book. I'm glad it's Friday so I can stay up playing it too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Here are the global release timings for True Colors, which means that most of us in the US actually get to play the game a day early, 12PM EST on September 9th. Get hype!!!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice timing, I just completed a chronological replay of the entire series (plus Tell Me Why which I sort of consider an honorary entry in the franchise) and am looking forward to the next installment.

Plus, this time we’re getting the whole game in one shot (aside from the bonus episode that drops on the 30th) so that’s kind of nice as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The trophy list for True Colors has been revealed (not much in the way of spoilers though some of the names for the chapter 5 achievements sound a bit ominous):

https://www.powerpyx.com/life-is-strange-true-colors-trophy-list-revealed/

It appears the collectables in this game are called “Memories”, not sure if these are just items you find or things you have to get via Alex’s powers though.

In addition to those, there appear to be a few optional sidequests as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 5, 2021

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Feeling blue. Green with envy. Tickled pink.

I always wondered which emotions could be represented by all the other colors of the rainbow.

I haven't been around much lately but no power in this world could prevent me from dropping in to say AAAAAAAAW YEEEEEEEEAH! Four days to go before a new tale of soulful teens shall unfold! And not just the first episode but the whole thing!

I am hella hyped for Thursday!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I am ready for Life to be Strange.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Be warned that some physical copies have broken street date and are floating out there in the wild. This would be a good time to log out of twitter, youtube, etc. until Thursday since this is the kind of game that I think can be very easily spoiled, especially now that we're getting it all at once!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wonder when we'll be able to pre-load.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wonder when we'll be able to pre-load.

The game drops on Thursday so I’d imagine sometime within the next few days

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A couple of non spoilery tidbits courtesy of someone on Reddit who got it early (though if anyone wants me to tag these anyway just say the word):

1: There is no mention of Arcadia Bay at all in this game, meaning starting a new game just dumps you right in without being questioned about your ending choice like in LiS2

2: Memories (the collectables for this game) are just items you find ala LiS2. However, they are pretty obviously different from normal objects so you can’t miss them.

3: Alex’s journal is a normal diary like Max’s was in the first game (also apparently you can use her phone for more than just texting).

4: Alex’s powers are activated by pressing one button to initiate it and then another to focus on your target (LT and A in the case of the Xbox version)

5: As was the case in LiS2, True Colors has more than just two endings

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 7, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also if you preordered the game, turn on your console of choice and it should begin to preload now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just finished all the printed material available for the comics and its actually really good. Still need to finish 2, which honestly I am enjoying quite a bit except I was playing it as a couple, and uh... still havent worked up to playing it alone.

Really looking forward to the new game, but do folks think I should finish the second one before starting it? I know there's tie ins with previous ones but Im trying to skim and avoid reading any post that is too spoilery, so no details just a yes or a know whether finishing 2 first would be worth it.

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I’d kind of like to see a future Life is Strange game done in the style of Tell Me Why where there are two playable characters that you switch back and forth between as the game goes on.

Or maybe something along the lines of the David Cage games where you’re following the stories of multiple protagonists at once.

Borderlands still did this the best I think, of similar games. It felt so goddamn good in that game and it was especially fun that it was both them telling their respective stories after the fact, so you got them butting into each others stories "correcting" what happened and it was just a great interplay.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 7, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unlikely that LiS2 will be referenced minus some shared universe stuff, like for example the (extremely light spoiler) busline that takes Alex to Haven Springs is the same one that Sean and Daniel use at the end of Episode 1. That's because the endings to LiS2 vary wildly, some take place before and after the events of True Colors.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Unlikely that LiS2 will be referenced minus some shared universe stuff, like for example the (extremely light spoiler) bus line that takes Alex to Haven Springs is the same one that Sean and Daniel use at the end of Episode 1. That's because the endings to LiS2 vary wildly, some take place before and after the events of True Colors.

From what I’ve heard, it doesn’t even seem like LiS and BtS will be mentioned that much either (as I mentioned a little bit above there’s apparently no question at the start of the game and the topic of Arcadia Bay reportedly is never brought up once). That’s the main game though, we’ll likely get a few more callbacks in Wavelengths given the trailer.

Based on trailers/footage there are at least a few references in the record store though (such as the Callamastia figure being visible in Steph’s office).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 7, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i am glad true colors seems to be completely distanced from previous titles

I love my gay ladies and wolf brothers but it's time to move on

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nyoro posted:

i am glad true colors seems to be completely distanced from previous titles

I love my gay ladies and wolf brothers but it's time to move on

Yeah, so far it seems like the only ties to the past we know of are Steph, Mikey’s appearance in Wavelengths, the “Hero” DLC outfits and a few small references/easter eggs scattered about (and of course Hawt Dawg Man who seems to have become the series mascot).

To be honest I’m perfectly fine with that, if they’re going to keep this as an anthology series then it needs to be able to stand on its own merits (hell, they didn’t necessarily need to put David in LiS2 either for that matter though it worked well enough in my opinion)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 8, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Game is installed on my PS4, gotta wait for the unlock now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Game is installed on my PS4, gotta wait for the unlock now.

Just one day to go now (or possibly late tonight depending on when the game unlocks).

Also the first chapter is apparently called “Side A”

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 8, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Reviews are starting to come in. Currently True Colors is sitting at 84 Metacritic, up or down a couple points depending on console. For reference this is the highest meta ranking for any Life is Strange game since the original, which was an 83-85. Reviewers highlight the characters and environments as strongpoints while identifying a lack of urgency in the main story and technical issues (long load times) as weaknesses. Eurogamer gives it an Essential review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LQsy9GClYc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lack of urgency is pretty stock for life is strange games. Hell, Before the storm basically didn't have a plot until the end of episode 2.