Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1415386127133933568?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So do we have a full accounting (dirtsheet or other) on how ROH came to lose their NJPW partnership to a company that made Okada a jobber

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think it can be pieced together as simply as “Delirious and Bully Ray turned the ROH locker room into poo poo, Scurll got exposed as a nonce immediately after being put in a spot almost specifically to mend the ROH/New Japan relationship and so the relationship continued to rot, Meij didn’t have his deal renewed, and Ohbari has no loyalty to ROH but got along with Callis and all of AEW’s EVPs, so when New Japan gaijins stuck in Florida because of COVID started asking if they could take the bookings Callis was offering, he said ‘go ahead’.”

I imagine Kenny and the Bucks have done a lot of work convincing guys they got along with in NJPW that Impact is nothing like the TNA they remember and that they’re not gonna get booked to look like poo poo. The New Japan dads appear to just not give a poo poo where they’re booked, they just like to work dates if they’re given them because they’re mostly over here to train LA dojo young lions.

Although I bet Okada doesn’t step out into an Impact ring until long after he’s shown up in an AEW one. If ever.

edit: and it’s not so much that the ROH relationship is iced, guys like Brody King have been regulars on STRONG. Rocky might be keeping those ties bound single-handedly at this point.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 18, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno that Marty had much to do with it, NJPW was planning to bring him in on their own before the talent talked them out of it.

I think its more to do with that RoH just hasn't been running and when they have been, it's been in a bubble.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It possibly might also have to do with the old axiom of "what have you done for me lately?" Let me ask this question: when was the last time Ring of Honor put on a MOTYC, according to Punchsport Pagoda?

Jeff Cobb vs. Hangman Page from Final Battle 2018

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Okay this genuinely has me excited. Fuckin love Hallowicked.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1422303209092169740

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Lumbermouth posted:

Okay this genuinely has me excited. Fuckin love Hallowicked.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1422303209092169740

First blush has me thinking "Oh, they're doing the WWF mid 90s race war factions."

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Man where has frightmare and Hallowicked been?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TV Zombie posted:

Man where has frightmare and Hallowicked been?

Mostly just not working since Chikara imploded during SpeakingOut. They recently showed up at JCW and I think they’re teaming with Ultramantis for the Camp Leapfrog show before IWTV100.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Incoherence being in ROH rules. Hallowicked was probably the best Quack trainee.

Now make Ultramantis Black record a second power violence album.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hallowicked tried being a TV personality for a bit. His creepy videogame show was funny enough if you're high and want spooky poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm watching Best In The World & Flamita vs Rey Horus is worth watching, think it'd be on their Youtube as it was part of the preshow.

And now I'm watching EC3 vs Flip Gordon purely because I'm too lazy to get up & go to the computer to skip forward to Brody King vs Jay Lethal.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching a lot of RoH's stuff this year and it's pretty good for no crowd shows. The pure rules work well in that environment. Gresham, Bandido, and Dragon Lee are great workers. There's a lot of very good workers behind them. Best in the World had eight matches on it that I thought were HM level.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, I've seen all but the top 2 matches & while I'm not that high on it, it has been a real solid card with a couple matches I really got into. Hell, even the Last Man Standing match I got into way more than I expected.

There is a lot to like on the roster, that's for sure. loving adored Gresham vs Bennett.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 4, 2021

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1423049350427578369

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

I don't know what's going on anymore.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
lmao @ her twitter apparently still being TNADixie.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

karmicknight posted:

lmao @ her twitter apparently still being TNADixie.

according to her, she holds holds a stake in the company. Scott D'Amore has never confirmed or denied.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've watched more ROH than anything the past two months, it is a nice bite sized show that's just a bunch of wrestling. I honestly can't tell half the white dudes with beards apart but there's no one on the show I actively dislike which goes a long way for me.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

ROH is moving Death Before Dishonor due to Florida being a plague state

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1425233153715810306?s=19

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Pinche Rudo posted:

Shame, Death before Dishonor is a perfect way to describe plague states.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pinche Rudo posted:

Is ROH worth watching again? All jokes about buzz aside, but A) this is a good move to make and B) their roster seems so fuckin' stacked lately and all of their champions rule.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is ROH worth watching again? All jokes about buzz aside, but A) this is a good move to make and B) their roster seems so fuckin' stacked lately and all of their champions rule.

I was genuinely blown away by Best In The World last month, I had 2 MOTYC & 4 HM from it. Not enough to make me watch their TV but I will absolutely make time for their big cards.

Jonathan Gresham, Pure Champion, has been great.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 11, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If you're going to catch BitW 2021, make sure you also watch the "hour one" pre-show. There's a Flamita/Horus match, plus some Danhausen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought the undercard on the BITW PPV stunk to high heaven esp on the tail end of the really good PPV preshow but it got better.

So yeah, if ROH is running a match you think will bang, it usually delivers.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

ROH's undercard stinks but their midcard and main event usually have good matches. Delirious is a below average booker which hurts their big matches.

The only wrestler to win world titles in Arena Mexico and Madison Square Garden Main Event Matt Taven is on year two of a feud with Vincent.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Taven is making that feud work tho.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I am selling the remaining old school ROH DVD's from my collection (and some PWG ones as well) - feel free to check it out here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976327

(I got mod approval to cross post this)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TUS posted:

I am selling the remaining old school ROH DVD's from my collection (and some PWG ones as well) - feel free to check it out here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976327

(I got mod approval to cross post this)

Holy poo poo, Colt Cabana is a babby in that picture.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Edward Mass posted:

Holy poo poo, Colt Cabana is a babby in that picture.

Yes! AJ Styles (can't really see him) looks toddler-esque as well

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Back when AJ had the cartilage he was born with

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Quinn McKay really pulls off "wrestling dork" well. She's still obviously green but manages to look clumsy rather than bad when she messes up and overall is pretty solid. As she gets better it'll be interesting to see if that transitions to the character as well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Death before Dishonor current card for Sept 12:

Bandido defends the world title in a fourway elimination match against Brody King, EC3 and Demonic Flamita
Jonathan Gresham defends the Pure title against Josh Woods
Women's title tournament finals
Shane Taylor Promotions defend the trios titles against Rush, Dragon Lee and Kenny King
Mystery match involving two recently-fired free agents

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chris James 2 posted:

Death before Dishonor current card for Sept 12:

Bandido defends the world title in a fourway elimination match against Brody King, EC3 and Demonic Flamita
Jonathan Gresham defends the Pure title against Josh Woods
Women's title tournament finals
Shane Taylor Promotions defend the trios titles against Rush, Dragon Lee and Kenny King
Mystery match involving two recently-fired free agents

Man I haven't watched ROH in ... a decade but AEW has got me so hyped for Wrestling I might watch this lol.

Mystery Match is Adam Cole v Mistico II right?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Man I haven't watched ROH in ... a decade but AEW has got me so hyped for Wrestling I might watch this lol.

Mystery Match is Adam Cole v Mistico II right?

Seems unlikely, neither of those guys were fired as of Sunday

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, I've seen a lot of speculation about Bobby Fish being one of them

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Breezango :v:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The Fiend vs Mojo Rawley

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ngl but ROH and Mojo Rawley would be a great fit. He can work with some really solid hands and his STAY HYPE persona would translate well to the ROH's presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The fact that he has heard of colors other than brown and white would distinguish him from the other white dudes with bad beards division on the roster.