Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if Lynch had any consistent messaging in mind with Twin Peaks, between the Lodges, Judy, nuclear testing, and time travel, is that there are forces bigger than humanity can comprehend and you should not gently caress with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, if Lynch had any consistent messaging in mind with Twin Peaks, between the Lodges, Judy, nuclear testing, and time travel, is that there are forces bigger than humanity can comprehend and you should not gently caress with them.

*the g-man from half life ishly* my employers, mmm, dis... agree

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

The Klowner posted:

I think it is a mystery box but not in the sense that :lost: or jj's oeurve is. in JJ world the mystery of the supernatural is simply a justification to advance the emotional conflict. the mystery itself is irrelevant and unplanned by his own admission. on the other hand, David Lynch has never given a clear answer about what's going on in twin peaks. Is twin peaks just doing the JJ thing where none of it actually means anything substantial and Lynch is just smart enough not to say that out loud and spoil it?

Everything in Twin Peaks means something, just not in the same way as a traditional mystery story with clues that eventually lead to an exposition scene where the detective explains in exposition how they all fit together. Which is maybe why the second episode of the whole series shows Cooper finding clues by throwing stones at random. That communicates to the audience that this will not be a traditional murder mystery story. And IMO the implication there is clear enough without needing Lynch to explain it to us in an interview or a commentary track.

Also, I'm pretty sure writers in any genre or medium rarely plan everything ahead of time when writing series. That's just not how the creative process works, for most people. I get the impression that this expectation has become a lot more prominent with the rise of "CinemaSins", and the general popularity of the attitude where the goal in consuming media is to outsmart the movie/show/book/etc. and catalogue all of the plot-holes. Like, did Lynch plan everything from S3 with Judy and Laura's mom from the moment each of them were first introduced? Probably not. Does that mean there is no meaning to either, in the story or themes? No.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Lord Krangdar posted:

I get the impression that this expectation has become a lot more prominent with the rise of "CinemaSins", and the general popularity of the attitude where the goal in consuming media is to outsmart the movie/show/book/etc. and catalogue all of the plot-holes.

Yeah the whole explosion of "exposé" type web content looking at the DARK HISTORY OF or the intense interconnected symbolism of what the gently caress ever has sort of ruined people in a lot of ways. And I think we can absolutely blame shows like Lost for setting up that expectation.

I don't think Lynch gives a poo poo about narrative depth in that way, it's all just art. The dude is almost purely about expressivity and stream of consciousness in his work.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my favorite interpretation of Judy is that it's supposed to be 交代 ("explanation")

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Season 3 picks up a lot more of the threads from the movie than I would have expected. I can believe that Lynch used some of the sequel ideas he had drafted from back in that period, and maybe some of them weren’t changed very much given the importance of David Bowie and Judy, neither of which had any particular longevity in the popular imagination vs stuff from the series.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

shoeberto posted:

Yeah the whole explosion of "exposé" type web content looking at the DARK HISTORY OF or the intense interconnected symbolism of what the gently caress ever has sort of ruined people in a lot of ways. And I think we can absolutely blame shows like Lost for setting up that expectation.

Lost was sort of half and half, with that. There were tiny clues and easter eggs encouraging dedicated viewers to piece together the complex history of the Island and its inhabitants, which never fully came together into a cohesive whole (because it was never planned out 100 percent, by the writers). But while the show was airing, and perhaps even now, the biggest impacts came from the execution of Big Moments like the Island moving, or the "we have to go back" scene. And that is actually a lot like Twin Peaks. We all remember the first Red Room sequence, even though not everything about it was ever fully explained and fit neatly into a pre-planned mythology.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm personally not arguing that the supernatural elements of twin peaks necessarily must be mechanically consistent (a la any given hard sci-fi or hard fantasy). What I'm arguing is that they do have some type of consistency—emotional, visual, even spiritual—and that consistency is dictated by Lynch consciously, not just unconsciously. It is possible to draw logical connections between things, even if it's through the use of "dream logic." Just because it's a dream doesn't mean there isn't logic to it.

Like I don't think Lynch looked at s3 and thought "yeah this is part of so-and-so timeline and the physical means by which character X was able to alter reality comes from Y" etc. like the books and ancillary media apparently suggest. But there are a lot of recognizable and consistent patterns. Every owl depicted in the show, every single one, is accompanied by a depiction of light or fire. Garmonbozia is associated with characters who are depicted very intentionally as evil. Horses, which are said to be "the white of the eyes and dark within" in the nuke episode, show up in Laura's home. And so on. It all seems pretty conspicuous and intentional for somebody who people are saying is effectively some kind of abstract expressionist. Electricity, garmonbozia, trees, owls, detectives, music, darkness, fire—there are too many elements working in concert for Lynch not to have had some frontal-lobe-level idea of what he was doing.

My reason for belaboring this is that I think categorizing Lynch's work as entirely intuitive takes away from what makes his art so unique. If it really were the case that his art operates purely from the unconscious, couldn't anyone do it given the same resources? I could go out and buy a canvas and paint right now and do my own impression of Number 18. What would separate mine from Pollock's? What even is the basis for comparison? Furthermore, if all of twin peaks is equally ephemeral and subconscious, what meaning is there to glean? Who says one interpretation is more or less justified than another?

I suspect this is crux of the matter for a lot of people: the fact that there might be intentionality to twin peaks shouldn't take away from the individual experience of watching it and thinking about it. Lynch might have had certain ideas about how things fit, but even if we knew that as a fact, it doesn't mean one's personal arrangement of the puzzle pieces is necessarily wrong—even though modern artistic discourse has conditioned us to think this way.

Finally, if you truly believe a) that Lynch's art operates purely on an unconscious level, b) that the logical workings of twin peaks' supernatural are immaterial, c) that there is some essential quality that makes Lynch's art unique, and d) that the personal experience and interpretation of Lynch's art supersedes the communal... why bother talking about it at all?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Look, I thought we weren't gonna talk about Judy

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Uhhhh sorry for the buttposting, have a twin peaks/Simpsons meme

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 22, 2021

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The Klowner posted:

My reason for belaboring this is that I think categorizing Lynch's work as entirely intuitive takes away from what makes his art so unique.

Lynch has a story about the creation of Mulholland Drive that may shed some light on this topic. I'm paraphrasing from memory, but the Mulholland Drive TV pilot had just been rejected, and he wasn't sure what to do next. He was washing his car, and suddenly inspiration struck for how he could turn the pilot into a feature-length film. The idea just came to him, as if fully-formed in that moment.

So, where did the idea come from? You could say from his intuition, or his unconscious mind. But it was a specific idea for the resulting film's concept. Once he had that, every other decision to actually complete the project was built on that blueprint. It wasn't just improvised from whatever his whims were, day to day. That's how David Lynch works.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 22, 2021

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think that Lil ("SHE'S MY MOTHER'S SISTER'S GIRL.") from the beginning of Fire Walk With Me is a pretty ideal metaphor for Lynch's work and how people react in terms of analyzing it, or failing to analyze it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Any Red Letter Media fans here? They did a David Lynch trivia video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOAZlCvNC_0

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just finished season two, haha what the gently caress man

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bowmore posted:

just finished season two, haha what the gently caress man

Now imagine that was the end of the show for 25 years

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

now wait one week (and I think two weeks once) between episodes of season three

edit: but watch the movie first ofc

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m doing a rewatch and I just hit the bad part of season 2. Got to plow through to get back to the good stuff. I’ve seen seasons 1, 2 and FWWM twice but season 3 I only saw when it aired.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m doing a rewatch and I just hit the bad part of season 2. Got to plow through to get back to the good stuff. I’ve seen seasons 1, 2 and FWWM twice but season 3 I only saw when it aired.

3 is so good on rewatches. Second time through still felt so impactful to me, I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

multijoe posted:

I finally sat down and watched all of Twin Peaks seasons 1 and 2 as well as Fire Walk With Me, and finished up watching the movie.... a couple of weeks into season 3 having already started. :mmmsmug:

I did my time in the Doctor Who mines, dammit, I deserved that!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hawowanlawow posted:

now wait one week (and I think two weeks once) between episodes of season three

edit: but watch the movie first ofc
Yeah I don’t have time to watch FWWM until the weekend so it’s gonna have some time in my brain to swim around

but nah I’m gonna binge season 3 aha

multijoe posted:

Yeah I was thinking about that, I feel like it would be ok because of lack of internet so you’d just have to deal, but maybe I am thinking differently because I already know there is more to come

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Laura in the last episode…I don’t think i’ve seen anything that disturbing in a little while

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
sad to learn twin peaks is no longer on Netflix.

Went ahead and bought the HD version on Amazon.

Ironically, my memory of the show is pretty spotty. I started watching it a way long time ago at a friends house while we drank and ate pizza. Then years later I played Deadly Premonition and kept confusing parts of it with Twin Peaks. Then I binged watched the series and FWWM a few years ago but still can't quite remember it that well.

edit: apparently I finished season 2 in Dec 2018 and posted about it in this thread.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think someone needs to put a massive edit broom through season 2, would improve it a lot with some serious editing

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I see the boring poo poo in season two as an old friend at this point, like when someone posts goatse.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

bowmore posted:

Laura in the last episode…I don’t think i’ve seen anything that disturbing in a little while

Her just shrieking at the camera with strobes flashing is so good. Sheryl Lee is a badass.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bowmore posted:

This post makes me very happy for so many reasons :3:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Just finished Mulholland Drive. I’ve seen it once before but it was ages ago and I didn’t really remember anything. drat, it’s so good and it was a lot more coherent(ish) than in my faint memory.

Star fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 4, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Michael Horse posted on photo on Instagram of him pointing to a carpet that vaguely resembles a blue rose.

What could it mean?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That he saw something that reminded him of twin peaks and that he wanted some Instagram likes.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

He wants in on that Kyle MacLachlan posing under a wisteria vine action.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Michael Horse seems chill as gently caress

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

HD DAD posted:

Michael Horse seems chill as gently caress

he’s one of the coolest dudes there is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm sure somebody in this thread before mentioned running into him and his wife at a store somewhere, and he was really nice and his wife made him do the Bookhouse Boys secret sign :3:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure somebody in this thread before mentioned running into him and his wife at a store somewhere, and he was really nice and his wife made him do the Bookhouse Boys secret sign :3:

That may have been me when I went to a "come see the artist" event at his wife's Native American art store. Later on his wife ended up buying something from me on Etsy and then when I shipped it I realized they live about a mile from my house in this nice but pretty average neighborhood and it makes sense that I thought I saw him once years ago at our local grocery store.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think the great thing about twin peaks is that you can choose to analyse it mystery box style, as well as just letting it act as a stylistic piece. People love to discount mark frost's role but TP is still really Lynch's only collaborative work and you need to consider that makes it somewhat different from everything else he's ever done.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

The Walrus posted:

I think the great thing about twin peaks is that you can choose to analyse it mystery box style, as well as just letting it act as a stylistic piece. People love to discount mark frost's role but TP is still really Lynch's only collaborative work and you need to consider that makes it somewhat different from everything else he's ever done.

I agree that Frost’s contributions are important and shouldn’t be overlooked, but it is not accurate to say that TP is his only collaborative work if a shared writing credit is sufficient to qualify it as you suggest. Lost Highway was co-written all the way through with Barry Gifford, Straight Story was Mary Sweeney’s script, and two other guys I don’t know have a writing credit on Elephant Man.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
frost is co-creator and co-ep not just writer though

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Elephant Man was an existing script that Lynch chose to direct

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Inland Empire is pretty much proof positive that Lynch (is a genius) but his work benefits greatly from any amount of collaboration above 0%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Frost provided the Christmas tree from which Lynch could hang broken ornaments, grisly crime scenes photos, and an entire glazed ham.