Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I just watched Sunday's episode (not up to date on the veto stuff), and I'm curious to know what people think about Derek X's overall position in the house? I can't help but think that him winning HOH this week might have been a strategic mistake. He's now not only further cemented himself as a major comp threat, but he's also turned his back on a number of powerful allies, showing he can't really be trusted to stay loyal to an alliance. It's hard to think that he's going to be in a position to go far at this point, unless there is a major shakeup in power, or he keeps winning vetos.

On a side note, I can't believe I'm actually thinking/posting about strategy in a Big Brother US season. Probably the first time in at least 5 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Derek X was in a pretty rough spot regardless. Tiffany has pretty much been the house major domo so far, and she brought him under her wing weeks ago. So while Christian and Alyssa are a strong pair, as a duo they weren’t long for the world anyway, and had already discussed getting rid of Derek X last week. Which they chide themselves on not doing, completely oblivious to the fact that alone means Derek should have never trusted them and had reason to want them broken up.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop
I think this was a good win. I think Hannah was toast this week without him winning and now he's actually driving conversation. He needs to be in the room for next week's decision making and then I think he's really got it made.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Turn on the feeds now if y'all want to see a vote flip on a blindside.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Right now it looks like Derek F is the swing vote, but if Christian makes a deal with DX SB is going home. I don't know if I'd trust Christian, but if the vote falls apart anyway it's better to have the deal.

Meanwhile on TV, Alyssa doesn't even know what game she's playing.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Lol, DX's face. This makes his punishment ten times funnier.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Wait, are these dumbasses really not going to take this golden opportunity to get rid of Christian?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Nah, it looks like Christian is going. Xavier and Tiffany were doing a full court press but Tiffany pissed Derek F and Azah off too much.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
HOH happened off feeds. Came down to Kyland and Tiffany. Kyland won.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
According to Jokers, Tiffany was supposed to throw HOH and didn't and is now Kylands target :-/

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Big D and Claire nominated. Claire is the ideal target, with Alyssa is the backup I believe.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
I'm reading that Kyland is suffering from very intense HOHitis.

Prayers for his recovery.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Veto comp played. Alyssa won. Kyland bet on her to win, so he got the second veto. Current plan is to take Claire off and put up Britni.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I'm assuming the Cookout is holding and Britni will be going this week, then?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So Tiffany is super bitter towards Kyland for a dumb reason

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Veto used on Claire, Britini now on the block.

Holding out for an 11th hour tide shift spurred by Tiffany to get Big D out.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 16, 2021

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Well on the one hand, Britini going would be an extremely obvious and boring move.

On the other hand, she has to go sometime, and in a lot of ways it feels like the endgame doesn't really start until she goes, because after that there aren't any easy consensus noms left and the Cookout either has to start eating itself or come out of the shadows.

The deeper they get into jury the less appealing a 6-person alliance is compared to their smaller groupings. Derek F and Azah are tight with each other but clearly on the outside of the Cookout, Tiffany has completely overplayed her hand and put herself on a lot of radars, and it's hard to imagine Hannah not choosing Derek X over them at this point. If Hannah were smart she'd use the Royal Flush deception to try and rope in Azah and Derek F for numbers.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Bad at names but lol at the 2 women in the cookout getting mad at the guy who won because now he might get rid of their friends outside of the alliance instead of his.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's easy to get mad at Kyland because of his weird business jargon way of talking to people. Like, look at this:

https://twitter.com/BB_Updates/status/1427751038698803200

Condescending gobbledygook.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Faustian Bargain posted:

Bad at names but lol at the 2 women in the cookout getting mad at the guy who won because now he might get rid of their friends outside of the alliance instead of his.
I agree with this. Azah in particular didn’t seem able to put herself in Ky’s shoes and get that he feels the same about SB, who has been #1 on the hit list for weeks, as she does about Britini, even though that seems like a fairly easy jump to make. She doesn’t seem like a very good player though.

The problem with the cookout is that it is for a cause bigger than the game so it just completely trumps game, and people with different game interests, at different levels of skill, and with different personalities that under ordinary circumstances would be fracturing and going at each other simply never do.

I also shudder to think of future seasons where someone always says “there’s too many black people here so we have to vote one out so they don’t form an alliance like the cookout,” like ew that sounds creepy and racist and I’m not looking forward to it, even if that statement would have actually been correct this season

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, the Cookout as an idea basically only works once. For all future seasons, I think it'll be more difficult to pull off, even with the more diverse casting.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know, a big alliance controlling the house has been the pattern for like the last seven seasons. Aside from the fact that the alliance is made up of PoC instead of whites, what distinguishes the Cookout is that it's organized around an idea rather than a core two or three people. That means the alliance is less organized, with individual members forming partnerships outside the alliance, but it has still functioned pretty much the same as any of the other super alliances: take out the big threats that aren't a part of the alliance, then coast.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, but even the big alliances in past years will sacrifice some of their own as they go along, usually whittling it down to a core of more loyal people. It looks like the Cookout won't be doing that unless there's two of them on the block come eviction time.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
The difference is the majority alliance is visually so distinct and yet they're fully hidden. Which is amazing.

The members, especially Tiffany, know this won't be possible again after they dominate this season. It's part of why the Cook Out is so strong. They feel this is their only chance at an all black top 6. I want Tiffany to win so I am unsure how she gets from top 6 to finale. I'm concerned for her but I respect the game she's playing.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Love to have every competition blatantly thrown, that’s what makes for a good season

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What makes throwing comps great is when people get salty that the comp was thrown to the wrong person. Like, if you want to win then just win, why is the expectation that someone will give you the power for no reason?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Cookout member has to go home this week. Anything else would be a complete failure at this point. Hopefully Sarah Beth isn’t dense.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
the cookout is the closest that big brother is ever going to come to Casaya

but that doesn't mean I'm not rooting for SB to get one out on accident with this weird roulette lol

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Big D and Claire on the block. Sarah Beth being a complete flop as HOH at this point. "I'm different from Kyland! (Please ignore that I made his exact same nominations)"

Have to hope for some good roulette and veto outcomes.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

It'll also be interesting to see if Tiffany fights to try and save Claire again and get Derek X up, or if Claire's talk from last week causes her to just let it happen.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I really, really hate the idea that Big Brother has become a game of forming alliances along racial lines. Like, I totally get it, and I don't blame anyone for doing it, but it just sucks that this might end up being how every season ends up from now on. It's almost like the prisoner's dilemma: now you have to form a racial alliance because the rest of the house will assume you are doing that, and will take you down if you don't.

All that being said, after the first 22 seasons, if there is an all black final 6, that will be pretty amazing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not watching so I can't judge but I would point out that the fundamental problem is that there's been like 100 all white alliances in the history of Big Brother. In the same way that there's been dozens of successful guys alliances but like one girls alliance worked on the quasi season and yet every cast still looses their poo poo at the possibility of three girls talking together.

So like, this isn't the start of Big Brother being divided on racial lines. Its just the first time it went the other way.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

DX isn't playing in veto and he saved his money for the coin game. Put a fork in him, he's done.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not watching so I can't judge but I would point out that the fundamental problem is that there's been like 100 all white alliances in the history of Big Brother. In the same way that there's been dozens of successful guys alliances but like one girls alliance worked on the quasi season and yet every cast still looses their poo poo at the possibility of three girls talking together.

So like, this isn't the start of Big Brother being divided on racial lines. Its just the first time it went the other way.

The guys alliance vs girls alliance point is valid (though I do think it's worth noting that every season there is at least one woman who actively tries to start an all-girl alliance, so that paranoia isn't completely unfounded), but it's not like those all-white alliances were explicitly crafted to be that way - it was an awful side effect of bad casting.The Cookout is being completely explicit about it and however noble their reason, the end result is going to be that in every future cast that same paranoia that exists for all-girl alliances will exist for racially-based alliances.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hopefully the new casting director keeps up the good work to prevent that. With how successful the season seems to be Jesse Tanenbaum should get carte blanche to do another really diverse cast.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ShakeZula posted:

The guys alliance vs girls alliance point is valid (though I do think it's worth noting that every season there is at least one woman who actively tries to start an all-girl alliance, so that paranoia isn't completely unfounded), but it's not like those all-white alliances were explicitly crafted to be that way - it was an awful side effect of bad casting.The Cookout is being completely explicit about it and however noble their reason, the end result is going to be that in every future cast that same paranoia that exists for all-girl alliances will exist for racially-based alliances.

Its definitely an unfortunate consequence of the casting. So like last season Day, Bay, and David get together and say "there's been like no black finalists ever and only a handful of Jury members so it would be cool if we all got to the end." And then Kevin comes in and says "I'm half black and I did, but yeah." So they all agree to watch each other's backs and toy with the idea of alliances. But the majority of the cast is white and the majority holds the power, and while the white majority players toy with working with the individual black players its only on their terms and only alone so its "we have to break up Day and Bay" and "David's been talking too much to them". And the black players all know this stuff is happening (and Kaysar's literally telling them how it will play out with them being picked off one by one) but the majority keep them at odds and on their heels so they play along and they get picked off.

So again, I'm not watching this season so I can't judge how the Cookout came together. I don't know if there was a counter alliance their were forming to oppose or a "house majority" they formed within or what. But it just sounds like the cast was more diverse than usual so for once white folks didn't have a default numerical advantage so for the first time black HGs were able to look around and go "oh... this is actually possible. Lets try it?" And like its still probably a testament to it working because most alliances fall apart in time. So even if they pull it off its not just because they set out to do it.

Long term should the cast always be an even racial divide? Should it be a majority POC? Should it never again have a majority of white players? Should it just be completely random based on the best candidates? I have no idea. But I think we wouldn't be here if we didn't have 22 years of the opposite of this season. Like for the last two seasons every POC was picked off first. And obviously that was severe and caused a stark reaction and change, but also it wasn't REALLY that different from what usually happens. It just usually wasn't so blatant.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 21, 2021

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The teams element also makes this season difficult to evaluate in historical terms. Also the resident "old guy" being the one to win the first HoH with an explicit mission to target one of the white jock guys as a direct response to the past few seasons. It's easy to imagine a scenario where Tristan doesn't go home week one and joins up with Christian, Alyssa, Brent, and Whitney, and we just get a rerun of the past couple seasons. But because of the teams, the big majority alliance that formed early (The Royal Flush) also included half of the Cookout, and I think Kyland and Xavier probably would've found their way into the majority alliance no matter what just because they're both savvy players who are useful in comps.

I think the casting going forward should just make an effort to be as diverse as possible and not cast shitheads and the problem will solve itself. The all-white majority alliances of the past generally have a common trend of forming around a turbo-chud muscleman comp beast and his showmance, so maybe try to cast fewer (or none!) of them and see how that works out.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I think nobody suspects the cookout as being an alliance because a lot of the cookout doesn’t seem to like each other themselves

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I think this season is a cut above most not necessarily because of the diverse casting but because much of the cast are quite intelligent and not just a bunch of bimbos/jimbo's like normal. Even the "pretty people" like Alyssa, Christian, Xavier, etc are super smart and so they don't play like chudburgers.

Obviously a cookout scenario will never be allowed to coalesce again but hopefully that goes for all races. I, for one, hope they keep casting savvy people who can (like DX has done) learn how to navigate the game despite not being a superfan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah it's worth noting that this cast is just better top-to-bottom than almost any season in recent memory, which is an encouraging sign for the future.