Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Quake 2 has a crouch button. A crouch button. A sin before god and man

Im willing to be sacrilegious and say that if it would help me bunnyhop through tighter areas (which modern detail heavy maps can have here and there, ie some of the new episode's maps) id like a crouch button on q1.
More importantly tho id make it so enemies become intangible as soon as they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Turin Turambar posted:

A thread about Quake importance in the industry. Not like it's anything new for us
https://twitter.com/pagb666/status/1428443686241722374

It is really amazing how hard they hit out of the park on such an early 3D game. Even Mario 64, which influenced how 3D games would proceed, has aged pretty poorly in a lot of places.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Quake 2's DM is pretty fun even to this day. And you need that crouch button, because how else are you going to escape the jail in the Jailbreak mod? I do wish CTF would regain popularity in online FPS games. When Quake Live first came about, I somehow got invited to some clan that was primarily competitive 4v4 CTF.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 21, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is cool and I've never seen it before

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I guess I haven’t played Quake in much longer than I thought because I do not remember this opening area in E2M6

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

treat posted:

It's fun, sometimes frustrating, but I recommend it. There are a handful of maps in the base game that give you absolutely nothing to work with and one is nearly impossible but mostly it's alright. Just don't try to get 100% kills. Shotgun start plays great for p much everything else Quake related, and IMO the mission packs are waaaaay too easy without it.

Against the advice of everybody else, I've gone ahead and started doing this (by using the "map eXmX" console command) and I've honestly been having a blast with it, even on Nightmare difficulty. Currently wrapping up Episode 2, but I feel way more engaged in each level, and every secret and weapon pickup and box of ammo is suddenly a precious reward; promoting in-fighting and smarter maneuvering is suddenly way more important too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

haveblue posted:

I guess I haven’t played Quake in much longer than I thought because I do not remember this opening area in E2M6
Ah, that! That was cut from the original version of the map that was released with Quake because it broke Id's self-imposed map filesize limits (every BSP had to fit on a floppy disk, for memory's sake). Romero kicked out an uncut .map file for level editors years ago, and now I guess Id have made it official again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

You're not crazy

https://twitter.com/starshipwaters/status/1428542792679178245?s=20

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This rules. Anything else like this?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

This rules. Anything else like this?
There are some extra levels for Deathmatch:

DM7: The Edge is... a version of Quake 2 DM1 for Quake 1! Originally planned for release as part of the cancelled Quake Arcade Tournament Edition, its author appears to be lost to time.
DM8: Acrophobia is an American McGee map that was cut from the original Quake and later posted online in some form. It was also modified for Quake 64 (and the Quake 64 mod in the remaster), where it was an "exclusive" multiplayer map called DM7: The Court of Death.
Base 32 was put together by American McGee to stress test multiplayer servers and, frankly, Id's map compiling tools. It consists of bits of E1M1, E2M1, E3M1 and E4M1 glued together into a map that's probably too large for the remaster's 8-player limit!
Death 32 was put together by Christian Antkow, and it's much the same deal as Base 32, except it's DM2, DM4 and DM6 glued together.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

that's loving awesome, I legit thought I was going crazy and forgot about a level or two

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Kins posted:

Base 32 was put together by American McGee to stress test multiplayer servers and, frankly, Id's map compiling tools. It consists of bits of E1M1, E2M1, E3M1 and E4M1 glued together into a map that's probably too large for the remaster's 8-player limit!
Death 32 was put together by Christian Antkow, and it's much the same deal as Base 32, except it's DM2, DM4 and DM6 glued together.

gently caress I remember playing these and thinking even at the time that quake mp tech was just absolutely otherworldly

granted I worshipped at the altar of Carmack-is-diety for basically all of the 90s, but even still

that many players on a map in multiplayer was nuts

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That intro zone for Dismal Oubliette is actually really good. Too bad they had to cut that. It’s at least as good as the rest of the level imo.

Also, this rerelease has reminded me that the Quake episode clear music is awesome. What a pump up. Someone should make Quake 1 2

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This re-release is letting me experience the joy of Quake co-op for the first time thanks to matchmaking/server browser. It’s really loving fun.

I know I ask for too much, but can you imagine if the Doom ports had the same thing?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cat Machine posted:

This re-release is letting me experience the joy of Quake co-op for the first time thanks to matchmaking/server browser. It’s really loving fun.

Do the bots support co-op?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

david_a posted:

Do the bots support co-op?

Nope. Campaign maps are mostly too complex to make nodes for in a reasonable amount of time.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
I've played so much Doom over the last years, but never really spent much time returning to Quake until this refreshed release. I've wanted to because the brushcraft on display a lot of community content looks so amazing.

But gosh, the bread and butter of the Quake campaign does not click with me, playing through on Nightmare.

The shotguns are utterly anaemic. They deserve some of the shade that the Doom3 shotgun got.

The Super Nail Gun is great, but you almost never have ammo for it.

Pain animations and staggers are so delayed from the initial hit, making many of the AI feel very damage spongy. Sure animation tech wasn't quite there at the time.

This pushes a preference for pineapples and rockets, the tight maps make this a very high risk strategy given the splash damage, so you try to deploy it at range, and that range is usually one room back.

Ogre grenades will so often lock down a tight space and pause an engagement until they expire. This happens constantly. It's a real drag.

Projectiles from Dread Knights and Scrag have this 'wake effect' off the central tiny core, it makes them a bit trick to read at speed at times.

Melee hits feel a bit off like hit you from ranges they shouldn't make this is a result of my FOV.

So it all kind of results in this grenade stop and go combat with lots and lots of popping in and out of corners, rather than charging into an area, and looking to through movement manage the AI and the space.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the quality of OG Doom community at crafting combat encounters, and Eternal.
QuakeWorld and everything that came from that I think is Quake's real legacy, the campaign doesn't need to be venerated.

Arach fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 21, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
:smuggo: who says you cant play quake with a controller :smuggo:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

uh, i didnt notice that, last time i played quake was 1.5 mod and i guess they put that in there by the sounds of it?

cool tho

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

yay I won my first DM of Quake 1! Even if I joined during the middle of the round!

...they were all console players, weren't they? It would explain things.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Kins posted:

There are some extra levels for Deathmatch:

DM7: The Edge is... a version of Quake 2 DM1 for Quake 1! Originally planned for release as part of the cancelled Quake Arcade Tournament Edition, its author appears to be lost to time.
DM8: Acrophobia is an American McGee map that was cut from the original Quake and later posted online in some form. It was also modified for Quake 64 (and the Quake 64 mod in the remaster), where it was an "exclusive" multiplayer map called DM7: The Court of Death.

The end map aka Shub's Pit also has a special DM only layout!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

yay I won my first DM of Quake 1! Even if I joined during the middle of the round!

...they were all console players, weren't they? It would explain things.

you'd see the ps and switch and xbox logo if they were, i assumed the globe meant pc

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Globe means they're on a different platform than you, but can't show exactly due to platform restrictions.

I think Game Pass PC will show up as a globe though, and there are a lot of Game Pass players.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

spongeh posted:

Globe means they're on a different platform than you, but can't show exactly due to platform restrictions.

I think Game Pass PC will show up as a globe though, and there are a lot of Game Pass players.

Yeah it does. I wonder if we should at least make all PC players identifiable to eachother. Can we?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My main criticism of Quake is that it only has two bosses and they both rely on gimmicks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

My main criticism of Quake is that it only has two bosses and they both rely on gimmicks.

Designing good FPS bosses is a lot of work (something Destiny and Doom Eternal are only JUST starting to really explore) and not really feasible in the Quake engine.

But yeah it does feel weird that the shareware episode ends with this cool custom boss fight and then the others... just don't. And then the final boss is just a telefrag. I mean cool but lol.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

spongeh posted:

platform restrictions? like sony doesn't want psn people knowing they're playing with dirty xbox plebes or something?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

quake 1.5 got you covered

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Arivia posted:

platform restrictions? like sony doesn't want psn people knowing they're playing with dirty xbox plebes or something?

More or less yeah. No console platform wants to give any free promotion to another.

They probably don't have permission to display the logos and branding for other consoles because of that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given how many people complain about running around a boss in a circle and shooting it, which is what the grand majority of fps bosses end up being, i'm pretty ambivalent on quake's bosses or the lack thereof

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

all of doom eternals bosses suck (cept that first doom hunter and marauder fight, talking about the boss only enemies) so i guess quake was ahead of the curve on that one

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Arach posted:

I've played so much Doom over the last years, but never really spent much time returning to Quake until this refreshed release. I've wanted to because the brushcraft on display a lot of community content looks so amazing.

But gosh, the bread and butter of the Quake campaign does not click with me, playing through on Nightmare.

The shotguns are utterly anaemic. They deserve some of the shade that the Doom3 shotgun got.

Pain animations and staggers are so delayed from the initial hit, making many of the AI feel very damage spongy. Sure animation tech wasn't quite there at the time.

This pushes a preference for pineapples and rockets, the tight maps make this a very high risk strategy given the splash damage, so you try to deploy it at range, and that range is usually one room back.

Ogre grenades will so often lock down a tight space and pause an engagement until they expire. This happens constantly. It's a real drag.

Projectiles from Dread Knights and Scrag have this 'wake effect' off the central tiny core, it makes them a bit trick to read at speed at times.

Melee hits feel a bit off like hit you from ranges they shouldn't make this is a result of my FOV.

So it all kind of results in this grenade stop and go combat with lots and lots of popping in and out of corners, rather than charging into an area, and looking to through movement manage the AI and the space.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the quality of OG Doom community at crafting combat encounters, and Eternal.
QuakeWorld and everything that came from that I think is Quake's real legacy, the campaign doesn't need to be venerated.

i already said most of these things. Die!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arach posted:

Quake honestly plays better on either Easy or Normal than on Hard or Nightmare, as even on the lower difficulties enemies are both heavy on damage output and how much they can take so raising it further(and making them more aggressive to boot) is just a recipe for it being a slog if you aren't in the right mindset for it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arach posted:

The shotguns are utterly anaemic.

Try playing on Normal OP

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

drrockso20 posted:

Quake honestly plays better on either Easy or Normal than on Hard or Nightmare, as even on the lower difficulties enemies are both heavy on damage output and how much they can take so raising it further(and making them more aggressive to boot) is just a recipe for it being a slog if you aren't in the right mindset for it

I’ll go to bat for Hard once you’re comfortable, but your first time through absolutely should be on Normal. Though I never noticed a difference in enemy AI outside of Nightmare - from everything I remember Quake’s difficulty differences just had to do with monster or item placement and substituting meaner monsters for weaker ones. A combat encounter can be really different if it culminates in a shambler teleporting in when you’ve cleared most of a room out instead of a fiend.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Atari denies it is owned by Soulja Boy

No, wait, let's hear him out. Atari cannot possibly do worse under Soulja Boy than the current leadership. I've said it before, Atari's not the worst videogame company but it is the one I hate the most. I wish Nightdive could wriggle Blood free from them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hard/Nightmare is fine for eps 1-3 if you understand how the weapons work, but Elder World is too mean for that poo poo. So so many ambushes and trap rooms

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

catlord posted:

Atari denies it is owned by Soulja Boy

No, wait, let's hear him out. Atari cannot possibly do worse under Soulja Boy than the current leadership. I've said it before, Atari's not the worst videogame company but it is the one I hate the most. I wish Nightdive could wriggle Blood free from them.

Soulja Boy would allow Blood on Switch.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think I'm starting to see what someone said about the new Quake port feeling floaty. There seems to be some considerable input lag. If I briefly tap the movement keys there's a perceptible delay until I actually move. When I just tap the key over and over it gives me the impression of moving on key up instead of key down. I just tried Quakespasm and it doesn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Volte posted:

I think I'm starting to see what someone said about the new Quake port feeling floaty. There seems to be some considerable input lag. If I briefly tap the movement keys there's a perceptible delay until I actually move. When I just tap the key over and over it gives me the impression of moving on key up instead of key down. I just tried Quakespasm and it doesn't do that.

I'm definitely not getting that. Its definitely not acting on key up instead of down, but there probably is some significant input latency for some reason.

Try going into your graphics card video options and setting pre-rendered frames to 1 or 0 manually, could help.

Also have you already applied the suggested fix? set r_gpuculling 0

Additionally, it seems Quake Remastered defaults to Vulkan, you can manually switch to Dx11 by setting +r_rhirenderfamily “d3d11” in your steam launch options.