Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GuestBob posted:

Such as... revs? Coughs and splutters? Wind direction?

Sorry, but it'd be helpful to know - if it helps, I am a fully certified bicycle mechanic :downs:

Ok so what your symptoms describe is a vacuum leak, what this means is that unmetered air is being sucked into the engine. The EFI measures how much air the engine is pulling and injects fuel proportionally. If air is being ingested through a crack or something somewhere downstream of the throttle, the EFI has no way of knowing and the bike will run lean and idle really high. You find this leak by spraying burny juice at it and listening for a change in the engine rpm and sound, it won't be subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

#JustBritishVehicleThings

I remember years ago looking at an old Lotus Europa on ebay motors and the seller had written "This is a very reliable car. I would not hesitate to take it on a 100 mile road trip."

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Ok so what your symptoms describe is a vacuum leak, what this means is that unmetered air is being sucked into the engine. The EFI measures how much air the engine is pulling and injects fuel proportionally. If air is being ingested through a crack or something somewhere downstream of the throttle, the EFI has no way of knowing and the bike will run lean and idle really high. You find this leak by spraying burny juice at it and listening for a change in the engine rpm and sound, it won't be subtle.

This is a perfect description, thank you.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

#JustBritishVehicleThings

I remember years ago looking at an old Lotus Europa on ebay motors and the seller had written "This is a very reliable car. I would not hesitate to take it on a 100 mile road trip."

When I lived in Europe, a 100 mile trip was *looong*!.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

RightClickSaveAs posted:

At an event once long ago, I ran into another guy carrying around a motorcycle helmet (having a motorcycle remains the number 1 way to meet random dudes) and he was talking about his Royal Enfield he'd had, said his experience with it was they're decent bikes once you replace all the Enfield parts with bits from other manufacturers.

That's my anecdotal second/third hand two cents on Royal Enfields!
Our shop used to be a dealer (before they came out with the twins) and yeah no, that's not an accurate perspective on Enfields. They are like Chinese scooters but without the reliable motors which are copies of Japanese motors. They are akin to a Ural. Spectacularly old design with minor modifications built incredibly cheaply. Again, I'm talking about before the twins. The twins do look like a big step forward to me from the brief views up close I've had on them.

An example here, though, which does also apply to the new twins: the mufflers, when constructed, were chromed before the end cap was welded on. Welding destroys chrome. So they just apply a band of chrome-ish paint over the weld bead afterward. The paint doesn't last long and you see rust on that spot after a couple years. This is on a part which is prominently visible on the bike. That's spectacularly cheap halfassed manufacturing. They should really be ashamed of that. ALL of the design and manufacturing on the singles is/was like that. The EFI system they used on their unit construction engine introduced around 2009, although made by a legit company (Keihin), was almost antique in design. It still had a manual fast-idle lever, something which the Japanese and even the Italians abandoned entirely on their bikes about 8 years earlier. Although now that I'm typing this it occurs to me that Triumph still had that on the early EFI Bonnevilles around the same time as the Enfields. I guess India really is British as the empire always claimed?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
So I bought a 2015 CBR300R today. It's black and has about 3500 miles on it and I think I'm in love.

I want to thank all you wise people ITT who convinced me to get a small bike. Most people I know IRL advised a 600, but after only two hours in the saddle I'm convinced they're all terribly wrong and you people are right.
Sure it's low power. Some more power would be nice at times but it has enough and enough is plenty. I didn't get it until I took it to the twisties, but I think I get it now. Or at least I'm beginning to get it.

I could write a wall of text about my impressions about those two hours I've ridden today but I won't. I'll just say that the main thing I've learned today is that riding without fear is the only way to ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

So I bought a 2015 CBR300R today. It's black and has about 3500 miles on it and I think I'm in love.

I want to thank all you wise people ITT who convinced me to get a small bike. Most people I know IRL advised a 600, but after only two hours in the saddle I'm convinced they're all terribly wrong and you people are right.
Sure it's low power. Some more power would be nice at times but it has enough and enough is plenty. I didn't get it until I took it to the twisties, but I think I get it now. Or at least I'm beginning to get it.

I could write a wall of text about my impressions about those two hours I've ridden today but I won't. I'll just say that the main thing I've learned today is that riding without fear is the only way to ride.

:nice:

You're getting it. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is proportionate to cognitive load and confidence in your abilities. Faster bigger bikes give you more cognitive load while also having performance really far from your ability. All this turns into a negative feedback loop where your pants-making GBS threads panic makes you do crap lines, deathgrip the bars etc which further discomfits the bike which further saps confidence and and so on.

Tips for reducing fear on a learner bike: practicing braking obsessively, both upright and while leaned, gives confidence you can stop any time, which gives confidence to keep the engine on the boil as much as possible, which makes small bikes a lot less slow than they seem.

Practicing controlled play with lean/speed, very large deserted roundabouts are good for this, reduces the sense of trepidation about adding lots of lean angle quickly. Once you can do this in conjunction with keeping the engine fizzing, you can unlock the main strength of small bikes, which is corner speed, and start to really humiliate well moneyed individuals with triple digit horsepowers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

time to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

just embarrassing the guys with four times the horsepower by masterful energy management. if it weren't for the straightaways they'd never catch him

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

time to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

just embarrassing the guys with four times the horsepower by masterful energy management. if it weren't for the straightaways they'd never catch him

This is the reference.

And to think: modern learner bikes are considerably faster than that even if their power output were identical because of the huge steps in tyre technology and chassis understanding that have been made since the ex250 was designed. Meanwhile the too much power crew are just as useless and slow as they've always been, if not worse, because it turns out even more power papered over with TC doesn't actually replace skill.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The speed differential when he passes them in the turns or when they're closing in on him and just fall back as a turn comes up is fantastic. I never get sick of this video.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Meanwhile the too much power crew are just as useless and slow as they've always been, if not worse, because it turns out even more power papered over with TC doesn't actually replace skill.

Me vs the world's slowest V4R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=760drgW4l7I

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
As for braking I'll make sure to practice as much as I can. There's a limit though since I suffer from a mean case of motion sickness. I can't drive a car fast on twisty roads without severe discomfort, for example. "Fast" in this case can mean the speed limit. Track driving is completely out, sadly, among a great many other things in motion I simply can't do. One of the many reasons I like riding is that cornering on a motorcycle doesn't seem to make me queazy at all. Hard braking is a problem though. I can manage a few in a row, but too much too quickly and I'm having a bad time that can go on for hours afterwards. I'll have to spread it out I guess.

How large is a "very large" roundabout? The biggest one in the city seems to be 150m in diameter, but that's all the way across town. The one right next to home is only 50m across. Ideally I'd like to be able to do what you suggest without going enough above the speed limit to risk my licence. I foresee some very late night or very early morning riding regardless of where I go in order to get this done.

I've seen that Laguna Seca video before, but I didn't understand what I was looking at. It's inspiring for sure.

But yes, I'm lots faster already on this slow bike than I ever dared to go on a faster one. I was pretty sure for a while there that my speedo was way out of whack since the numbers seemed absurd compared to my sensation of speed. Also all the cars I saw were going really slow for some reason, never experienced that before. The speedo seems accurate to within a few percent so it's all in my head. Brains are weird.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
eat a motrin and figure it out, there's no such thing as a rider who's going to live long without knowing how to emergency brake

being able to exercise hard braking and maintain control throughout on a moment's whim is the only reason im still alive today

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

eat a motrin and figure it out, there's no such thing as a rider who's going to live long without knowing how to emergency brake

Skip the motrin (ibuprofen) and eat a benadryl (diphenhydramine), but only one of them. If you've lived with motion sickness your whole life you probably already know this trick

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This is particularly annoying because the EX250 man, a righteous and honest individual on a real bike, is making fairly conservative passes on people, whereas the inept and ignorant asswipes on the sad liter bikes are buzzing him half the time and then cutting him off and trying to do an endo on the brakes into every turn. Is this the Extra Stupid Group at that particular track day?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My favorite part is the corner at about 4:00:

- ninja 250 guy carries a ton of energy into the corner but gets blocked by guy on black bike (R6?) hauling on the brakes
- black bike realizes that there is someone much faster behind him and waves him past
- because they're accelerating out of the turn, no chance of ninja 250 making the pass at that point, so he just hangs back
- black bike looks back and does a double-take, perhaps realizing how badly he just got clowned
- both bikes start to enter the corkscrew and ninja 250 blows past him like he's standing still, only to have to drop the anchor for another guy riding like a turd
- 250 passes turd on the exit of the corkscrew and remains ahead of both of them until the end of the main straight

it's just so good

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 22, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Newbies: repeatedly dropping anchor for a turd

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jazzzzz posted:

Skip the motrin (ibuprofen) and eat a benadryl (diphenhydramine), but only one of them. If you've lived with motion sickness your whole life you probably already know this trick

Yeah, there's a couple of different antihistamines sold for the purpose that help. They also make me drowsy and dumber than normal. Warning labels mention slower reactions and stuff like vision alternations. Fine for being a passenger but not great for riding or driving. What I find works at least to some extent (and there's some actual empirical data backing this up) is large quantities of ginger, so that's what I've been using before doing track riding lessons where brake drills were a thing. I think I'll probably use it every day when riding is possible from now on so I can brake practice more when an opportunity presents itself.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
OK so I'm about to go to work soon and the thermometer says 6 degrees. That's 42 degrees american. It's only going to get worse. The only aftermarket mod I'm seriously considering for this bike is heated grips. Worth it? I figure I can't learn if I don't ride and having cold hands suck. I have lots of warmer gloves since I pedal bike commute all year round but I these offer little crash protection and heated grips are probably cheaper than a set of really warm motorcycle gloves.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Get a set of these hilarious things

https://www.amazon.com/Moyishi-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Thermal/dp/B074SD352W

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Invalido posted:

OK so I'm about to go to work soon and the thermometer says 6 degrees. That's 42 degrees american. It's only going to get worse. The only aftermarket mod I'm seriously considering for this bike is heated grips. Worth it? I figure I can't learn if I don't ride and having cold hands suck. I have lots of warmer gloves since I pedal bike commute all year round but I these offer little crash protection and heated grips are probably cheaper than a set of really warm motorcycle gloves.

Oxford Heated Grips are honestly life changing. They are fantastic and you should get some immediately.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Steakandchips posted:

Oxford Heated Grips are honestly life changing. They are fantastic and you should get some immediately.

Thanks, I will. Just need to make sure I get the right model. Oxford themselves aren't being very helpful but it seems I have a choice between "touring", "adventure" and "sport" and that it basically comes down to length if I've understood things correctly.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 23, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Length and knurling pattern.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just get adventure or touring, they are the longer ones, you can cut em down to size if needed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
For what it's worth I've found that heated gloves/grips are of marginal utility and the really best thing for keeping warm is keeping the wind off me with a windscreen/fairing and keeping my core warm with a heated jacket/vest. If your torso isn't warm then the rest will never work right.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I find that all of those things and heated grips and heated gloves to be essential in the Scottish winter.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yes keeping the core warm is crucial. Wind deflectors for the hands might be hard on a sports bike i dunno. My experience from low temps winter bike riding is that fingers and toes are the hardest to keep warm even if the core temp is good. I'm talking at temps down to -15C which is my pain limit, though motorcycle riding at those temps will have to wait until I get a dual sport on studded tires I think. That I don't care if it rusts because road salt is a thing. So maybe never :(

The grips I have now are 120mm but it looks like there's room for 125 or so. "Touring" is 120mm untrimmed and "sport" is 123 (can be cut down to 114), so that one is probably at the sweet spot. Also delivery tomorrow from Amazon for like €80. Imma doit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bar mitts are legit and I used them to ride the DRZ well into a Wisconsin winter one year

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I couldn’t imagine riding a motorcycle in the winter here, with regular dumps of 30-50cm of snow and frequently -25 C temperature. Maybe I’m just a giant baby though. Still rode my bike up until the first week of December last year though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I survived my mini road trip. Bags worked great. Bike was a champ. Lots of 6th gear highway cruising. Great weather. Drivers were decent enough.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Are there any negative consequences of habitually bump starting a motorcycle?

My parking and living situation makes it effortless and quite safe. I like to roll slowly for about 40 meters down a narrow lane past my neighbor's windows without starting the engine when I leave (noise and cold engine exhaust smell is what I'm thinking others might object to since I don't like these things myself). When I reach the street I have enough speed to bump start in second should I choose to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably not? The forces on the drivetrain would be less than a hard shift at redline

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Invalido posted:

My parking and living situation makes it effortless and quite safe. I like to roll slowly for about 40 meters down a narrow lane past my neighbor's windows without starting the engine when I leave (noise and cold engine exhaust smell is what I'm thinking others might object to since I don't like these things myself). When I reach the street I have enough speed to bump start in second should I choose to.

I don't see why it would be bad, but you have electric start anyway, so why bother with the extra effort of bumping it?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Invalido posted:

Just make sure you know where you’ve got the throttle when you let the clutch out.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Invalido posted:

bump starting a motorcycle

So today this is the new thing I learned. How cool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Learn how to do it because you will almost certainly have to do it at some point.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bump starting at those speeds is not going to hurt the bike at all, no.

Where it becomes dangerous is bump starting at high speeds when you are in a low gear. If you roll down the hill in first gear and get up to like 40 miles an hour then pop the clutch, the engine will immediately have to spin up to redline or beyond, and the rear wheel will probably lock up from the sudden drag. Neither of those things are good for the bike or your health.

(Incidentally this is also why you should avoid coasting with the clutch held, e.g. up to a stoplight. If the clutch is suddenly released, the engine and wheel speed will be forcibly matched, and that could be a bad day.)

So just make sure that you're in an appropriate gear for how fast you're moving before you try it, and you'll be fine. Second gear and a jogging pace is about right.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 24, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bike can't tell the difference between a bump, a crank or a kick so go hard.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Steakandchips posted:

I don't see why it would be bad, but you have electric start anyway, so why bother with the extra effort of bumping it?

That's the thing, it's literally no extra effort at all. My parking spot ramps down to the lane. The lane is slightly downhill so I carry enough speed to stay balanced while coasting slowly all the way to the street, which is where I start my engine to spare my neighbors any noise or exhaust in the early mornings, because it's no inconvenience to me so I just do it out of courtesy. When I hit the street and start my engine I have enough speed to go straight into second so it's no harder to not use the starter button and just start the engine that way, which is why I can see it becoming a habit, thus the question posted.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Learn how to do it because you will almost certainly have to do it at some point.
It already saved me once a few weeks ago. On my first multihour solo ride after getting licensed I was on my brother's bike when the battery decided to call it quits and wouldn't crank after a very brief map reading stop. I couldn't get quite enough speed to bump start on flat ground but I was right at the bottom of a slight incline so I hiked the bike uphill for a minute and got it going on the downhill run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Advice from CA that I've found invaluable: Put your bike in second. I haven't thought through why it works so much better than first, but it fuckin does.