Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Snow white dye is also craftable, unless that's changed since the last time I thought about dye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Goon FCs tend to have stockpiles of various dyes, yeah.

You can buy Snow White dye from the Ixali, but it's a crafted dye, so any level 30 crafter can also make it. And the market is an option.

The other alternative, if you're not a crafter or on the free trial, is to use the hat they recommend, then dye four slots with generic dyes you can buy off standard vendors. So use a cheap vendor green dye on any chest, cheap vendor whites on gloves/legs, and cheap vendor black dye on the feet. Or dye the hat instead of one of the other slots, if the hat takes dyes.

This is an example of why they use this particular template for fashion report - the 80/100 point suggestions they give you work, but they also list out A) all the items in each slot that would give you full points (in case you need an alternative), and B) what general dye colors on each slot give you +1 point in lieu of using the specific +2 point ones.

So, in this case - base score for all slots filled is 68 points. Wear the vendor hat, 8 points, you have a score of 76. Four generic dyes are +1 point each, thus you score 80 and get 60K MGP.

Edit: Assuming you're high enough level, the other super simple 80 point option is just the hat and the leg guards and don't even worry about dyes.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 20, 2021

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm not sure why the recommended 80 isn't just the hat and leg guards. They're from the same vendor, even.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Tortolia posted:

Also note that the final quest current is almost always from the last MSQ of the zone, so while you can do sidequests or use your compass along the way, it's also valid to just work the story then backfill when the game pushes you to the next area.

Yeah, DGKK is going to need to purge folks offline less than four months soon. It's kind of insane. Newbies, just join the CGB Discord (link in the OP of the thread) and when you are ready to join a goon free company it's a simple process from there.

Next event page is up for The Rising!

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2021/The_Rising/ct5qm6qrje

The rewards might seem a little small given the game is currently giving out a polar bear mount, but the Rising is the anniversary event for the ARR relaunch of the game. It's a sweet little event with the devs breaking the fourth wall to thank the players and share their memories with us and it's always worth doing.
I will try to shut my loving mouth to avoid spoilers instead of being cagey in my reactions, but it won't be easy.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Level 20 DoW is technically a bigger hurdle than some dyes. I also don't see recs for story or cheevo items pretty much ever even though they're close to free and wearable at lvl1, it's all story/time gated.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just wondering, do Heavensward and beyond have extended cutscenes as long (or longer than) ARR’s second finale?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

Just wondering, do Heavensward and beyond have extended cutscenes as long (or longer than) ARR’s second finale?

There are still some that require that "make sure you set aside some time for this sequence" warning, but there's nothing quite as long as the end of ARR, no. They break it up more with either solo instance fights, or just breaks where you can leave and come back later if you want.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There are some longer cutscenes but I don't think anything is as long as that one. There are some that are probably close to as long though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't think the game ever does 45 minutes of back to back cutscenes again, but it does do like 20 to 30 minutes from time to time. I still get excited when I see the 'long cutscene' warning, but it's never been as long as the first time.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, ARR: The Movie is unique in that regard. In future, the cutscene warning is more a notice that there's going to be a few cutscenes/duties back to back where you don't have the opportunity to log out or do something else until complete.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

I'm already in love with my newly fantasia'd Roegadame.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
How many Fantasia's do you get throughout the game? I contemplated changing my Au'Ra into something that looks less like an anime villain, but I still like him enough that I don't want him to be gone permanently.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

You get one for free at the end of ARR and that's it. If you upgrade to the collector's edition for HW you'll get another, but you might as well buy one from the cash shop at that point.

They added the one to the end of ARR when they re-did the veteran rewards. You used to get one for subscribing for a certain amount of time, but they removed all the vet rewards except the glam for the FF 7-9 protagonists and added ways to get those rewards to the game instead (almost all of it was added to the Achievement vendor in Gridania and the Fantasia was added to the end of ARR).

Veotax fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 21, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Are belts just never visible on your character’s model?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Correct. And they're going away entirely in Endwalker.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nope! And that's why they're being removed from the game when Endwalker releases!

Seriously, they thought about deleting one of the ring slots, but decided on getting rid of belts because they're the only piece of gear that isn't displayed on your model under any circumstances, everything else can, but rings and wrists often get covered by your top and gloves.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Regalingualius posted:

Are belts just never visible on your character’s model?

Belts were actually visible in 1.0, however as part of the rework of ARR they did away with that and instead baked the belt graphics into appropriate/matching torso pieces.

EG:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Draga posted:

I'm already in love with my newly fantasia'd Roegadame.

Roegadames are very very good, you have chosen well!

Veotax posted:

You get one for free at the end of ARR and that's it. If you upgrade to the collector's edition for HW you'll get another, but you might as well buy one from the cash shop at that point.

They added the one to the end of ARR when they re-did the veteran rewards. You used to get one for subscribing for a certain amount of time, but they removed all the vet rewards except the glam for the FF 7-9 protagonists and added ways to get those rewards to the game instead (almost all of it was added to the Achievement vendor in Gridania and the Fantasia was added to the end of ARR).

I'll just note here regarding the fantasia in the Heavensward Collector's Edition upgrade. Ordinarily, the CE is 20 dollars, which means that if you're just getting it for the fantasia, it's overpriced. That said, a few times a year when they do big Mogstation sales, they put the CE upgrades on sale, and I recall the last few times they did that HW CE was half off - or $10, the exact same price as a single fantasia ordinarily is. So if you wanted to get that, you can basically get the fantasia for normal price with some extra minion/mount rewards as well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5EUhl73UhM

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I unlocked Scholar and now it's time to figure out healing I guess.

In WoW I had an addon that let me use click casting (hold a modifier and click on the raid frames) to heal while keeping the enemies targeted, this worked well for my disc priest. I heard FF14 sorta has click casting, but not really, or only for controller or something?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah on controller it's really easy. Technically mouseover macros exist for kb+m but macros in general have a bunch of bad properties and I wouldn't rely on them for combat buttons.

I think you might be able to bind the effect of controller d-pad up/down (cycle through the party with a soft target)? Not sure where it is in the menus though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's called soft targeting, which is only available for controller, yeah. You can check out this post if you want more information. (It's the big post on the second page of this thread if that link doesn't work.)

You can create mouseover macros, though, if you wanted to stick with KB/M. Those are the closest you're probably going to get.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Onean posted:

It's called soft targeting, which is only available for controller, yeah. You can check out this post if you want more information. (It's the big post on the second page of this thread if that link doesn't work.)

You can create mouseover macros, though, if you wanted to stick with KB/M. Those are the closest you're probably going to get.

You can assign dpad up and down to keyboard binds in keybinds:gamepad, thus allowing a keyboard and mouse user to use soft targeting. You can also soft target via the mousewheel by activating mouse targeting settings in Character config:Control settings:mouse.

Here's a link that explains it all: https://saltedxiv.com/guides/target-selection-guide-mouse-keyboard

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

wdarkk posted:

So I unlocked Scholar and now it's time to figure out healing I guess.

In WoW I had an addon that let me use click casting (hold a modifier and click on the raid frames) to heal while keeping the enemies targeted, this worked well for my disc priest. I heard FF14 sorta has click casting, but not really, or only for controller or something?

That FF14 doesn't have usable mouseover targeting sucks but it's also not as bad as you might think coming from wow. Still bad, just less bad.

For big pulls in dungeon you target the tank and cast point-blank aoes that do not need a target, so the clumsy target switching isn't that big a deal.
For bosses you target the boss and almost never need to cast targeted heals on people, so the clumsy target switching isn't that big a deal.

AST is the exception to both of these. Gravity — their aoe — requires a target, unlike SCH's Art of War and WHM's Holy. They also have to weave card casts on party members in the 1s weave window between their Malefic casts on bosses. The target switching is a big reason why AST is the most complicated healer to play.

You really don't want to use mouseover macros, even though you technically can. Macro:d abilities cannot be queued which'll hurt your ability to play far more than the requirement you pre-target before casting.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

On the subject of Scholar, is there an actual difference between the two fairies?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Gnoman posted:

On the subject of Scholar, is there an actual difference between the two fairies?

They only differ in appearance nowadays.

E: Here's a handy enlarged visual showing the fairy appearances in more detail

If neither is acceptable there is also an illegal mod that turns both fairies into Nicolas Cage

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 21, 2021

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The difference between the fairies is cosmetic now. They used to have different powers but now they don't.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Xerophyte posted:

That FF14 doesn't have usable mouseover targeting sucks but it's also not as bad as you might think coming from wow. Still bad, just less bad.

For big pulls in dungeon you target the tank and cast point-blank aoes that do not need a target, so the clumsy target switching isn't that big a deal.
For bosses you target the boss and almost never need to cast targeted heals on people, so the clumsy target switching isn't that big a deal.

AST is the exception to both of these. Gravity — their aoe — requires a target, unlike SCH's Art of War and WHM's Holy. They also have to weave card casts on party members in the 1s weave window between their Malefic casts on bosses. The target switching is a big reason why AST is the most complicated healer to play.

You really don't want to use mouseover macros, even though you technically can. Macro:d abilities cannot be queued which'll hurt your ability to play far more than the requirement you pre-target before casting.

Thanks, that helps. Shame about AST, not sure I could play it without “clique would make this so much better” constantly echoing inside my head.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

The difference between the fairies is cosmetic now. They used to have different powers but now they don't.

What were they, out of curiosity? Like, did one focus on single target and the other on group healing, direct healing vs. absorbs, etc?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Regalingualius posted:

What were they, out of curiosity? Like, did one focus on single target and the other on group healing, direct healing vs. absorbs, etc?

One was a healer, the other cast esuna I think.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

Eos had the current faerie actions. Selene had an AoE Esuna, a partywide haste spell, and a single target silence.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Eos was direct throughput (+healing buffs, Whispering Dawn, and I think a shield), while Selene was offensive/utility based (AoE esuna, a silence, and a small haste buff).

In practice basically everyone ran Eos, since there are very few situations in which an AoE Esuna is useful, silences are finicky to use in general and given the delay on fairy abilities basically impossible to use, and the haste buff could not make up for the sheer throughput increase Eos did.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Some speedruners swore by Selene for the slight increase in DPS you could eke out but it was so small I never saw these point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Which one was better varied by expansion

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Is there anything actually important behind the Hildibrand quests? I’m enjoying them, don’t get me wrong, but I’m slightly puzzled at why they’re labeled as Important.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fun cutscenes, at least one trial, and emotes and stuff.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Regalingualius posted:

Is there anything actually important behind the Hildibrand quests? I’m enjoying them, don’t get me wrong, but I’m slightly puzzled at why they’re labeled as Important.

The blue quest symbol just means that it unlocks a new feature. And there are trials unlocked by doing Hildebrand.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's also a barding at the end of the level 70 trial for Hildy but it only drops one per run so you might not get it unless you farm for it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think it's because Hildibrand is cited as an important content unlock in the thread OPs.

Hildibrand unlocks a few 8 man trials over time, some emotes, some minions, and some glamours. It's generally beloved content but mileage may vary based on how much you like silly slapstick humor.

The only time not doing Hildibrand is going to actually block you from doing things is if you try to run Mentor Roulette eventually, since the Hildibrand duties are required in the list of things you have to clear to queue into MDR.

Anyway, absolutely unlock Hildibrand and give it a few "chapters", but maybe pace it out and do a chapter every few days since it can be a Lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing. I’m just reaching the finale of the Costa del Sol quests now