Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Even if a good use for it is beyond conception for you, you still have the option of not being an rear end. I can understand you not getting the point of this, and who it would be good for, but try next time to not be condescending and overtly ignorant simultaneously.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's real. Dw/it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

🤰

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Boss level?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

gently caress the Ocean: The Game

Not enough horror games utilize how loving scary the deep ocean is. Like, SOMA and nominally Bioshock kinda scratch that itch, but it lacks that sense of both claustrophobia and also utter vastness. Subnautica has some of that too, but everything's kinda bright and colorful and full of wonder. It doesn't elicit as much paranoid dread.

So yeah, survival horror game where you're in one of those deep-sea subs diving into the abyssal zone, a weird inky blackness with only maybe the continental shelf as any sort of landmark to orient yourself, and once you drift away from that you're left bumbling around in expansive murky darkness where any hosed-up thing could be lurking juuuuust outside the view provided by your lights, able to see you while you can't see them.

See a little light up ahead? Oops, bioluminescent predator! Try and head for the surface? Hope you don't bump into anything counter-illuminated the color of seawater so it's near-invisible from below! snagged on a string of something? Mile-long tendril of something. Oh Jesus Christ what's that huge thing looming out of the void :stonk:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

You can't say a space sim is good and then the start takes place on a planet. I don't want to explore boring planets I want to explore the stars.

E: none of this is in space! Bullshit!

all planets are in space :smug:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rutibex posted:

all planets are in space :smug:

Space is actually a kind of gelatin

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Big Beef City posted:

It's real. Dw/it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgaJgzKOypU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Asterite34 posted:

gently caress the Ocean: The Game

Not enough horror games utilize how loving scary the deep ocean is. Like, SOMA and nominally Bioshock kinda scratch that itch, but it lacks that sense of both claustrophobia and also utter vastness. Subnautica has some of that too, but everything's kinda bright and colorful and full of wonder. It doesn't elicit as much paranoid dread.

So yeah, survival horror game where you're in one of those deep-sea subs diving into the abyssal zone, a weird inky blackness with only maybe the continental shelf as any sort of landmark to orient yourself, and once you drift away from that you're left bumbling around in expansive murky darkness where any hosed-up thing could be lurking juuuuust outside the view provided by your lights, able to see you while you can't see them.

See a little light up ahead? Oops, bioluminescent predator! Try and head for the surface? Hope you don't bump into anything counter-illuminated the color of seawater so it's near-invisible from below! snagged on a string of something? Mile-long tendril of something. Oh Jesus Christ what's that huge thing looming out of the void :stonk:

i think the reason for this is that the deep ocean is just too full-on awful to really be a compelling setting. lots of horror takes some cues from the ocean's monster design or kind of use it like soma - i don't think bioshock even really counts. there are a few which really use it but i can't remember their names because i didn't play them because the setting just isn't actually appealing. there's a push and pull with horror and the deep ocean is basically just all push. gently caress it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

a game, despite warnings and it being cold as hell, where you are a single parent attempting to raise a child on mars

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RavenousScoot posted:

Ran into ComHotel the other day when checking if anyone still had servers up for doom. I don't quite "get" it and it's not quite what you're asking for, but it sorta looks like it fits your interest at a glance. https://youtu.be/jzmDi4co18s

Anyway, I want a new Ape Escape, and Bugsnax doesn't count.

neat

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Oh, I got one!
-
A game, like... um

-battlefield or
That hell let loose game
But...
There is perma-death for your character, including his or her XP earned traits or perks, AND
It cost $50 to create a new character.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

(The idea behind this is to
A. Make playing more thrilling! Am I about to loose this character I have spent weeks or months beefing up with xp gain?
B. Encourage cooperation and team play. Work together to preserve your army mans, amd avoid having to pay $50 to play again.)

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
I keep thinking how video games should have a much deeper simulation of enemy mental state so they do more than just stupidly fight to the death with you, so for instance if they find loads of horribly mutilated bodies lying around they will think about getting out of dodge. i usually think of skyrim as a baseline for this kind of combat simulation so for example you should be able to rout whole camps of bandits into fleeing in panic or surrendering en masse if you're enough of an unstoppable force. i think NPCs could also have relationships with each other so one character could fight desperately to protect another and if they get seriously injured or killed they could either go berserk or be overcome with grief and lose the will to fight

but then whenever i think of ways to make skyrim more realistic it tends to make it really horrible, so for instance the female bandits would most likely be syphillis-ridden prostitutes trying to keep their bastard children alive in filthy conditions, that sort of thing. so you'd burst into one of their tents to find a woman with only a dagger and some children at her breast letting out horrible feral cries of fear, and it'd make the game really depressing

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 17, 2021

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

I keep thinking how video games should have a much deeper simulation of enemy mental state so they do more than just stupidly fight to the death with you, so for instance if they find loads of horribly mutilated bodies lying around they will think about getting out of dodge. i usually think of skyrim as a baseline for this kind of combat simulation so for example you should be able to rout whole camps of bandits into fleeing in panic or surrendering en masse if you're enough of an unstoppable force. i think NPCs could also have relationships with each other so one character could fight desperately to protect another and if they get seriously injured or killed they could either go berserk or be overcome with grief and lose the will to fight

but then whenever i think of ways to make skyrim more realistic it tends to make it really horrible, so for instance the female bandits would most likely be syphillis-ridden prostitutes trying to keep their bastard children alive in filthy conditions, that sort of thing. so you'd burst into one of their tents to find a woman with only a dagger and some children at her breast letting out horrible feral cries of fear, and it'd make the game really depressing

Normal people have a voice in their head that would dissuade them from posting this but since you lack that I'll be the one to say 'shut the gently caress up, weirdo'

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Replacing enemy barks of "have at you" with "oh poo poo oh gently caress"

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Motherfucker posted:

Normal people have a voice in their head that would dissuade them from posting this but since you lack that I'll be the one to say 'shut the gently caress up, weirdo'

*looks at rap sheet* pretty sure you don't have any business calling someone a weirdo there chief

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
a jrpg fantasy adventure game during which your lead pair meet, marry, resent each other, and divorce

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
a game where a beautiful boyfriend free lady tells me I'm strong and intelligent and then I stoically and heroically seed her

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

a game where a beautiful boyfriend free lady tells me I'm strong and intelligent and then I stoically and heroically seed her

Same except you play as Lego Batman and it's mostly driving game

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
custody battle, but in the style of dynasty warriors

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bear simulator; wherein you wander around in a never ending woods being a bear doing bear stuff

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

Bear simulator; wherein you wander around in a never ending woods being a bear doing bear stuff

this, but its an MMO and you can play as the bear faction, the deer faction or the hunter faction

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

*looks at rap sheet* pretty sure you don't have any business calling someone a weirdo there chief

I am actually certified normal, and your post was weird and made me think of the insane pro-slavery screeds star citizen fans post on their forums.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
just more Mario games

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

same except its mostly a driving game

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

numberoneposter posted:

same except its mostly a driving game

Big bear in a tiny go-cart. :haibrow:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Peter Falk simulator

VR game about doing some covert poo poo in a 90's tv show or movie and accessing a terminal as the hacker nerd guy is done by twiddling your fingers over a VR keyboard and it makes keyboard clack noises as the password locks in and goes from a bunch of random and constantly changing characters to stable characters one at a time. Then you have to say "i'm IN" so the rest of the team can do their poo poo

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 17, 2021

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I want an rpg where instead of selling your high powered magical weapons when you find a higher powered even more magical weapon, you give them to your army, and greatly improve that unit’s combat effectiveness in the strategic layer of gameplay. Yeah, you control an army sometimes. Cause you’re the loving chosen one.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Armoured core reboot, I played Daemon x Machina and it kind of scratched the itch but the story is a bit distracting and it's missing an arena mode.

Same goes for Ace Combat.

Something like a cross between big game hunter and the Witcher. In-depth mythical creature hunting game, like a more grounded monster hunter. Let me track and hunt a dragon with an enchanter .50 cal. I want to ride a unicorn or Pegasus also.

Pirates of the Arabian ocean. Somali pirate simulator but maybe a bit more swashbuckling and less grim than real life. Strap RPGs to the side of an oil tanker and broadside your enemies. Capture loot in the form of shipping containers you knock off other ships.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Big Beef City posted:

This, except bear stimulator

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I want an rpg where instead of selling your high powered magical weapons when you find a higher powered even more magical weapon, you give them to your army, and greatly improve that unit’s combat effectiveness in the strategic layer of gameplay. Yeah, you control an army sometimes. Cause you’re the loving chosen one.

There are literally dozens or more of games where you do this - Look up 'Destiny of an Emperor'

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ArcheAge 1.2 (maybe 1.7)

But small private servers/ solo (1-5 players)

but gently caress the tax system that west had.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Big Beef City posted:

There are literally dozens or more of games where you do this - Look up 'Destiny of an Emperor'

I meant western rpg. Jrpg’s haven’t been doing much for me lately.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nigmaetcetera posted:

believe it or not the game you want to play is Robinhood for the NES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb4Txg-PxAU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

A music production videogame that just captures the music going through my head when I'm high as hell so I can listen to it later when I'm not high as hell

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
A game that can record your dreams and customize the bosses or levels in the game to look like the terrors in your nightmares. You could then upload your levels to a server and share them with other players. (Many players would find that they already have levels in common, such as "I'm trying to run but my legs won't move," and "oh no, I'm at work and my pants are gone.") But you could only ever play as single-player, because you are always alone in your dreams.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
a sales simulator with a CRM

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

a sales simulator with a CRM

Just grimaced at this for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I need a medieval/fantasy town walking simulator pls.

I'd like a game where I walk around a medieval town and talk to my neighbors. I don't particularly care if my neighbor is a regular human or some sort of elf. I also wouldn't mind some dungeon delving but mostly I'd like the option to just wander around and see the sights.

Any games like that?

If not, any DMs out there willing to do just the town portions of the campaign and basically be a town for me forever?