Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Finally, a way to move Rita around the map!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kalko posted:

With the official release date fast approaching I'm surprised there haven't been more official EotE spoilers, but this one did come out today :

Not universally good, but it seems like the sort of card that will find a home in some decks. It's also a great Adaptable swap.

Would work very well in combination with a no-move remote Seeker build.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

a no-move remote Seeker build.

What does this look like? Shortcut/Pathfinder and I'm guessing Deciphered Reality?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Kalko posted:

What does this look like? Shortcut/Pathfinder and I'm guessing Deciphered Reality?

Barricade (3) and In the Know (1). The build hunkers down in a safe location and picks up clues anywhere on the map.

Here is one version of the build: https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6563/rex-the-camper-1.0

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 11, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ok, that's pretty cool and it's a great way to use Rex's ability.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Works best if your team has some "Let me handle this" to pull elites off of you when required. Also great with some "You handle this one's" to dump some treacheries on you so you can soak some sanity and/or health damage as well.

It's very gross and very hilarious when it goes off, and Scout Ahead seems like a hilarious combo with Deciphered Reality, which is a card you primarily end up actually playing in a build like this.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Orange Devil posted:

It's very gross and very hilarious when it goes off, and Scout Ahead seems like a hilarious combo with Deciphered Reality, which is a card you primarily end up actually playing in a build like this.

“You Owe me One!” a Deciphered Reality with Double Double and Double or Nothing. Shoot for the moon.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This was the actual quote from the lead designer a while ago about the old products using the new model. I hadn't seen the full thing before and it's slightly more substantive than I thought. In the MB Discord they were talking about how it might apply to future "Return to..." boxes, which you would think would be something they'll have ready for the Dream-Eaters next year.

I would say I'd expect some kind of official confirmation to appear on their website soon, but release dates are all over the place at the moment and probably will be for a while to come so who knows.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Got absolutely slaughtered on our first attempt at Where Doom Awaits. Just gonna pretend that one didn't happen :angel:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s an accurate title. Offhand, don’t split up as much as you think you should

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've had a hankerin' to build decks and play some campaigns, so I taught a couple of friends the game today and we played through the first scenario of Night of the Zealot. They seemed to pick it up fairly well over the course of the game and we came out with 7 experience and without anyone getting defeated!

I used the same decks I've taught with previously:

- Combat-focused Agnes
- Investigation/Healing-focused Carolyn
- A pretty standard Yorick deck

My two biggest plays as Yorick (an Act of Desperation on a spent Enchanted Blade, and a Trial by Fire >> Resourceful + a charge from Enchanted Blade with the intention of grabbing Trial by Fire from the discard) were both eaten by auto-fail tokens and I was very sad. Both of my friends got their respective willpower and intellect bonuses out super early, though, so Agnes horror-machine-gunned enemies and Carolyn hoovered up clues like they were pros.

Looking forward to introducing them to more things.

On a different note, how beginner friendly is The Circle Undone? I've played through Dunwich with a few different groups as they learned the ropes, and Carcosa one and half times, but I haven't touched TFA, TCU, or Dream-Eaters despite owning them for years, and I haven't picked up Innsmouth yet. I kind of don't want to jump in to Dunwich again, and if I do Carcosa again I'd much rather the other players be comfortable with the game already so that they can enjoy the wild ride (Carcosa is so, so good). TFA I know is right out for newer players.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Most of TFA's difficulty is front-loaded and it has a type of enemy which you generally don't want to kill, so depending upon how new your players are they may either appreciate finding new ways to handle enemies or they might find it frustrating.

TCU isn't as difficult overall but I do think its scenarios produce the most complex board states out of all of the campaigns. Its first scenario is also a 'prologue' where you don't play your own deck, so that might be off-putting.

My go-to now would actually be Innsmouth because it has some very creative stuff in it, but from the ones on your list maybe one of the Dream-Eaters campaigns would be worth a shot. I've only played each one once but them being shorter campaigns might be an advantage for newer players.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The first scenario of Forgotten Age was a rough start, but I think part of that was me attempting to play Sefina again. I can't handle playing her, don't know why. I was having fun with Ursula and Diana until The Boundary Beyond, which is very anti-Ursula. I actually might try this all again with Trish instead of Ursula. She's only 2 willpower, but she gets to actually play fun green cards unlike Ursula's mono-yellow. Ursula's one free investigate a turn, maybe, most of the time, isn't as fun as I thought it would be.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Ursula is amazing in TFA, every explorer action can be an investigate!
Monterey Jack will love exploring too, because every time he does it successfully he will get a buck or a card.

The circle undone has a lot of weird scenarios. The first one splits you up, subsequent ones require a lot of movement and have difficult enemies. And many things in the encounter deck trigger from depletion, which means it’s one of the rare campaigns where four people might have more trouble than one.

The best run I had of TFA was Mateo Winnie and Bless Stella. Having mind wipe in every scenario and blessed ammo for the monster enemies meant a lot of fun. Still didn’t help us on the boundary beyond: it’s weird that I’ve aced strains of fate twice… still bombed the scenario after.

Carcosa great for new players, if you have it. Dream eaters be is also fine, for scenarios that follow logic/regular scenario design more than the A path.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I’ve got my player cards stored in cardboard boxes currently and have been thinking about changing to ring binders with the nine-slot card sheets. Anyone else doing this currently? How many cards were you able to fit in a binder, and how did you do it? So many important questions for storing my dumb game for babies.

The only products I don’t have are the Return To boxes and the novellas, so I’m trying to figure out a good solution for being able to more easily leaf through player cards.

Jcam fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 20, 2021

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Jcam posted:

I’ve got my player cards stored in cardboard boxes currently and have been thinking about changing to ring binders with the nine-slot card sheets. Anyone else doing this currently? How many cards were you able to fit in a binder, and how did you do it? So many important questions for storing my dumb game for babies.

The only products I don’t have are the Return To boxes and the novellas, so I’m trying to figure out a good solution for being able to more easily leaf through player cards.

I store all of my player cards in a bunch of small, 1-inch binders:
  • Cards are split into separate binders by faction (Neutral/Weakness cards are together in one binder)
  • The first few pages of each house the investigators, three to a page (investigator/mini cards >> signature card(s) >> signature weakness(es)
  • I sectioned them off into Level 0 Assets / Events / Skills, then XP Assets / Events / Skills
  • Assets are sorted by their type for easier browsing
  • Things are otherwise sorted in (rough) release order so I don't go crazy rearranging everything when new stuff comes out
  • I don't do front/back on the binder sheets, just cards facing one direction. This is just personal preference but it helps bulk up the 1-inch binder because they would otherwise be a bit too slim on pages. Also I used to work in a game store so binder pages were effectively free

I set them up this way because I play with friends who aren't as keen on using arkhamdb, so when they want to upgrade their decks I can hand them one faction at a time and let them browse while other people can browse other factions without having to wait. The binders are sorted enough for my purposes when I go to physically build a deck I've built on arkhamdb, and because it's a looser organization I can just slot things back in without rearranging or having to remember specific spots for cards, just general groupings.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You can go full bling and buy Dex Protection 9 or 12
Pocket binders, they have all investigator colors including the ever elusive yellow without being crappy floppy cover style binders like ultra pro. I personally like binders that have built in pages instead of d-rings, but of course they make it harder to sort. (I’m procrastinating on this upgrade because I need to decide if I wanna insanely future proof with 12 pocket instead of 9)

6 one inch binders are the way to go, one for each class and one for neutrals. Leave all of the encounter cards in the return to boxes.

Other ways to bling out your game: def get a chaos token bag. Then coin capsules for them- get really nice feeling OnFireGuy ones instead of cheap as poo poo feeling ones of Amazon.

Then print out round investigator mini token cards to put inside similar coin capsules as well. Really more handy than the lame player cards.

Edit - it’s crazy for me to realize how much I’ve spent blinging out my game for the last 5 years, esp when Netrunner is my actual true love card game :P

jeeves fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 20, 2021

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Oh yeah I’ve got all of the Team Covenant Mythos boards now, all the tokens, a good chaos bag, a big play mat, token capsules, lots and lots of bling. I just hate having to pull out the huge stack of cards out of the cardboard longbox instead of just being able to leaf through casually. Like someone above said, my friends are really keen on using ArkhamDB so if I can hand them a book of goodies it helps a lot.

I’ll probably look at getting six of the one-inch binders with a whole bunch of the nine-card sheets!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

You can go full bling and buy Dex Protection 9 or 12
Pocket binders, they have all investigator colors including the ever elusive yellow without being crappy floppy cover style binders like ultra pro. I personally like binders that have built in pages instead of d-rings, but of course they make it harder to sort. (I’m procrastinating on this upgrade because I need to decide if I wanna insanely future proof with 12 pocket instead of 9)

6 one inch binders are the way to go, one for each class and one for neutrals. Leave all of the encounter cards in the return to boxes.

Other ways to bling out your game: def get a chaos token bag. Then coin capsules for them- get really nice feeling OnFireGuy ones instead of cheap as poo poo feeling ones of Amazon.

Then print out round investigator mini token cards to put inside similar coin capsules as well. Really more handy than the lame player cards.

Edit - it’s crazy for me to realize how much I’ve spent blinging out my game for the last 5 years, esp when Netrunner is my actual true love card game :P

What size coin capsules from OnFireGuy?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
My fav upgrades are:
1) bag
2) location path markers like these

I got some cheap coin capsules, but some kept falling off, so I got annoyed and just play without them now.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I pretty much pimped out everything Arkham LCG. The location markers are essential. I also recommend good coin capsules.

If you have access to a 3d printer, there are some great things you can make then paint. I made some little investigator card stands, as well as bullets and an encounter card holder.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just beat Shattered Aeons! It turned out I made every bad decision leading up to it aside from stacking vegeance (pretty sure I had three Yig's Fury). If you go into it knowing to expect that not every investigator is going to have a good time with agility tests, it's a lot of fun.

I immediately want to try it again because there's a lot of narrative choices. I've now played every campaign except Innsmouth, and this is the only odne where not getting 100% XP and the best resolution feels perfectly fine in most scenarios. I would love more "get in, do as much as you can, and get out" type scenarios, but I think the poor reception to TFA made FFG reconsider going down that route. From what I'm reading on player reception when it came out, players didn't like that the exploration deck was so random (understandable), the supplies varying in usefulness (I picked the ones that seemed generally useful in a jungle and I ended up fine), and the amount of trauma. But it hands out XP like candy, which I think is the reason TFA seems immediately replayable while other campaigns don't without a break between or a Return To: I only got three out of a possible seven in one scenario, and I know I did all I could, my greed for XP even nearly costing me as I escaped with a trail of snakes on my tail.

As I said before, I played Ursula and Diana. Diana ended up being a counterspell bot and Cultist basher while Ursula found all the clues. If I were to do it again with the same characters, I'd give Diana more combat tools, as I assumed vengeance would be on more enemies than it was. And I'd give Ursula more fun Relics to play with and testless clue gathering, but I can't blame anything but dumb luck for her failing just an outrageous amount of investigate checks at +4 or better on normal.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re going to play again with a mystic, bring Mateo with mind wipe and bless tech. So much fun!

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Conceptually I really like a lot of the ideas that TFA played with in the campaign design. In practice, I found the implementation generally mediocre at best.

The supply issues are a good example. It basically felt like playing a Choose Your Own Adventure minigame, where items often were entirely obfuscated in how useful they would be or how often. When the primary gameplay system is frequently about managing risk mitigation, the blind crapshoot of what items are worth it at what times just felt like the game loving you for having made what seemed like logical choices. I feel like the real indicator that it is a flawed subsystem is that if you replay the campaign, you can basically make perfect equipment choices because you know what items are actually useful.

There's also the narrative issue where the available supplies just don't make sense. Why do we need to spend some of our limited budget on a piece of chalk? How do we not all just have blankets? Why are supplies like provisions not tracked for the whole party? I know some of this is supposed to just be abstracted, but it always felt to me that they wanted to have this supply system, but couldn't think of enough logical things to put into the available pool.

I should clarify that I mostly enjoyed TFA, even with the difficulty spikes. I actually mostly liked the explore mechanic and Return looks like it refines them in a positive way. Vengeance was perfectly fine and a lot of the things that can happen to you feel very thematic while still being tightly ties to the mechanics.

Thinking about it, I feel like supply could maybe have been better handled by being a pool accessible by all members of the party. A little like the supply pool used in The Blob scenario. You have a persistent pool of points that you can draw from over the course of several scenarios to deal with things. Want to use rope to climb down a wall, spend a point from the supply pool. Want to eat, spend a point per character. That way you can abstract things more while still feeling like you are using up your resources in a thematic way. You also create a feel of slowly running dry as you go. Sure, you could theoretically use all the shortcuts and benefits that the first scenario and interlude hypothetically provide, and likewise avoid the pitfalls thrown at you. But then you'll have already blown the expeditions resources and have to limp through the rest of the journey. That way it's an actual decision to use a thing at the time, rather than an effectively random decision made at the start of the campaign.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Supplies are a weakness of TFA, return fixes the expiration deck, by having it start just locations, and you shuffle in an encounter card every time you successfully explore, as well as adding an optional ally who helps you manage that deck.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

jeeves posted:

RIP Netrunner. Regarding token bling, those capsules look cool but I don't think I could go back to using a physical bag after discovering this app. Instant bag setup and swiping to draw have spoiled me.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

jeeves posted:

Loves me my Burger tokens. Not gonna lie it's been weird to realize that we were out of coinage in the house and I used an old stack of wheat pennies. I know there's ancient, eldritch $$ energy baked into them now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
We're having a really negative experience with Where Doom Awaits. Three failures now, we've never even made it into the third act. It's all down to piles and piles of card mill from the encounter deck killing all Zoey's weapons so she can't hurt the Avian Thrall (which shows up every time) and then a long, boring, miserable slog into Beyond the Veil killing us.

I just bought the whole Innsmouth bundle so I'm hoping this doesn't sour my (covid safe) group on the game permanently.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The Beast Thralls set is quite annoying in general and always gives me problems.

My only real suggestion if you keep failing Where Doom Awaits is to take the loss, give yourself a little bit of XP, spend it, and play a "What if...?" version of Lost in Time and Space as if you had won Where Doom Awaits. That way you at least get to see how the last scenario works, even if your characters' stories all ended before that.

We had the same thing happen to us in Path to Carcosa--we got a bit too greedy chasing XP in the penultimate scenario and it ended up costing us the whole campaign. We all really wanted to see the last scenario and how it could have ended, so we just pretended like we won and played anyway.

Some scenarios are bullshit and aren't worth playing over and over. No one's going to clock you if you just skip 'em or pretend you won. :)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Return to The Circle Undone comes out Friday? Is it really possible? I can't find a lot of reviews for it even though non-US countries have had it since I think July. Has anyone played it?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think it evens out some of the problems, although there’s a printing error in the third scenario… You should be able to get to the basement from the main hallway.

It also makes Rita a superlative pick because there’s tons of movement, and dexterity treacheries.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm running Diana and Ashcan for Return to TCU. I haven't played Ashcan in a long time, and now I have Moonstone and Glimmer of Hope. :getin:

Supposedly these don't work with Practice Makes Perfect because they don't have icons when PMP finds them, but they're still very good in certain characters who can easily get +4 on either stat the card provides.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Good news, Detective Joe! You can now pass agility treacheries

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yes, spoiler week is here!

Love seeing more Nathaniel cards. Seems like some of his kit overlaps with Daniela as her ability is a reaction which does something when she's attacked, and someone spoiled part of her signature card and it has an ability which forces an enemy to attack you. She will be the 'Survivor' of the set, though, so she won't be able to use more than five Level 0 Guardian cards. Her investigator and signature cards should be fully spoiled tomorrow.

Unearth the Ancients XP2 is huge action compression but I find it hard enough to use the base version on Hard already. I can see it being good later in a campaign when you can really pump your test skill. And it also suggests that more Seeker relics will appear in the set (or more likely dual class Seeker/X relics).

And Medical Texts XP2 continues the trend of redeeming weak older cards.

A few days ago we also got Blur XP4, which might be a new cycle. The XP1 version appeared in the initial EotE announcement article.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 27, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Some more :

That book, uh, that's certainly a thing.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
That book is gonna got the taboo list so quickly holy poo poo.

For one action move any investigator from any location in play to the location you chose when you played it. Also ignore attacks of opportunity for essentially the whole map and have some rock solid state buffs on top of it because gently caress it, why not?

Being able to move your buddies from one side of the map to another is very strong. Need to reset where you locus is? Just use a Library Docent to bounce it back to your hand, easy peasy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

If you build your deck around it Jeremiah Kirby could say "draw 5". More realistically you'll still want some of the stupid good skills, so maybe it's more like "draw 3 or 4", but still, that's not nothing.

Also book is nuts and Daisy is turning into an absolute monster. Hilarious combo potential with Storm of Spirits also.

Gang Up, finally a card made for Lola. lol

For real though, I'm a bit at a loss how this one is supposed to work? Seems only worth it if you can get up to +3, +3, so like, maybe a very lucky Zoey or else burst damage for Carolyn I guess? Or is this supposed to be a combo with Teamwork?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 27, 2021

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I think it's meant to combo with all the new multi-class cards that are coming with this expansion. I think they all count as both classes for the purposes of gang up. You could also potentially build around it a bit with the Dunwich investigator deck building. Carolyn also really likes it potentially, along with toe to toe (especially if its a horror dealing enemy).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I think there are a lot of dual class cards still to be revealed, and yeah, they do count as both classes for the Synergy effects. And so, in fact, does your investigator card, which means Joe Diamond with a Brand of Cthugha in play gets +3 on Gang Up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The salesman also lets you play cards from one player to another players area. Definitely bringing him to the Antarctic, because an extra asset a turn really fits how me and my friends play.

Definitely putting safeguard on Lily too, seems like a huge movement campaign. I’m just going to sit on the back of your sled dog team.