Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

what's this "covid" thing again? some kind of Zoom competitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

This all started because you're so neurotic you mentioned you would have a panic attack if you ever took mushrooms now because you can't stop thinking about covid for even 1 day

lmao, gotta say I'm intrigued by the premise of covid cheat day :allears: where's the guidance on that coming from? or is that another one you pulled out of your rear end

we should all limit thinking about the pandemic to, say, 3 days a week, that way we can be safe and have fun! :dumb:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
:hmmyes: indeed, it would be accurate to call it a childish concern, given that children are the next group to be fed into the woodchipper for capital. "lmao"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what's it like being utterly devoid of humour and completely self-serious? do you enjoy it?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

infernal machines posted:

what's it like being utterly devoid of humour and completely self-serious? do you enjoy it?

dead kids aren't funny, but hey, that's just my opinion :shrug:

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

:hmmyes: indeed, it would be accurate to call it a childish concern, given that children are the next group to be fed into the woodchipper for capital. "lmao"

I hate my children so much

Edit: 15 Canadians under 20 have died of covid in 18 months of the pandemic.

Cromulent_Chill has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Aug 22, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

dead kids aren't funny, but hey, that's just my opinion :shrug:

bless you for saving the children! we charity personified

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

past performance, known indicator of future results

particularly wrt full remote learning vs full time in class instruction this fall :thumbsup:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

frankly, this country needs more Ebola outbreaks

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The most dangerous thing I’ve done this whole pandemic is being forced by the government to work in unsafe conditions, with the data being fudged to show that no transmissions were taking place in schools. The rules now allow me certain freedoms and I wear my mask in much more than is mandatory.

Hospitalizations are now occurring vastly more amongst the unvaccinated and I have no patience waiting for their dumb asses to join us in the real world. The Covid cat is out of the loving bag and we will never get to zero Covid at this point.

It’s obvious that our (BC) government will do anything it can at this point to keep restrictions where they are no matter what, as long as hospitalisations remain low. For most, we might now get Covid at some point, but it will statistically be a minor sickness for the vast majority who are vaccinated.

I do not in any way feel guilty for now living my life within the current restrictions and it’s becoming increasingly clear that there are some who enjoy being moral scolds.

For those who cannot be vaccinated, due to legitimate health problems, my heart goes out to them , but we will now literally never be in a situation where they will be entirely safe.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

past performance, known indicator of future results

particularly wrt full remote learning vs full time in class instruction this fall :thumbsup:

My at risk kid and another step kid are remote learning while the others go to school with mask mandates. What exactly are you even arguing that I get upset about?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ARACHTION posted:

The most dangerous thing I’ve done this whole pandemic is being forced by the government to work in unsafe conditions, with the data being fudged to show that no transmissions were taking place in schools. The rules now allow me certain freedoms and I wear my mask in much more than is mandatory.

Hospitalizations are now occurring vastly more amongst the unvaccinated and I have no patience waiting for their dumb asses to join us in the real world. The Covid cat is out of the loving bag and we will never get to zero Covid at this point.

It’s obvious that our (BC) government will do anything it can at this point to keep restrictions where they are no matter what, as long as hospitalisations remain low. For most, we might now get Covid at some point, but it will statistically be a minor sickness for the vast majority who are vaccinated.

I do not in any way feel guilty for now living my life within the current restrictions and it’s becoming increasingly clear that there are some who enjoy being moral scolds.

For those who cannot be vaccinated, due to legitimate health problems, my heart goes out to them , but we will now literally never be in a situation where they will be entirely safe.

why aren't you thinking of the children?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I'm just glad we spent this reprieve building back our provincial healthcare systems to a point of resilience and that doctors and nurses aren't completely burnt out and ready to quit en masse. That would really dampen my enthusiasm for the fourth wave we are currently guaranteeing, considering the pandemic is over and all

ARACHTION posted:

Yeah it is awful to feel slightly bad when reminded that other people exist* and there are consequences to your actions. for me personally, it's all about getting off on that

*though if we get enough brunches in, maybe not for much longer! :haw:

My at risk kid and another step kid are remote learning while the others go to school with mask mandates. What exactly are you even arguing that I get upset about?

...kids that are not yours, in other provinces? you... do know those exist, right? :nallears:

feels like the thread is circling back to "why is anyone here upset about the housing market being totally unaffordable and inaccessible to new buyers? I already have a house!" :saddumb:

crazy eyes mustafa has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Aug 22, 2021

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

I'm just glad we spent this reprieve building back our provincial healthcare systems to a point of resilience and that doctors and nurses aren't completely burnt out and ready to quit en masse. That would really dampen my enthusiasm for the fourth wave we are currently guaranteeing, considering the pandemic is over and all

Yeah it is awful to feel slightly bad when reminded that other people exist* and there are consequences to your actions. for me personally, it's all about getting off on that

*though if we get enough brunches in, maybe not for much longer! :haw:

...kids that are not yours, in other provinces? you... do know those exist, right? :nallears:

Ok what are your specific concerns with the school situation with your kids?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i promise that every time i sit down for a patio drink i will take a moment of silent reflection for crazy eyes mustafa's kids, wherever they may be

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Aug 22, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

i promise that every time i sit down for a patio drink i will take a moment of silent reflection for crazy eyes mustafa's kids, wherever they may be

I'll pour one out for you too fucker :pressf:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

And we all know death is the only outcome!

You either die, or have a complete recovery with no negative side effects whatsoever.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

And we all know death is the only outcome!

You either die, or have a complete recovery with no negative side effects whatsoever.

We live in a world of probabilities

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I still want to micro dose you fucks.

loving anti vaxx friend.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Don't waste your money drinking at a patio

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I can't wait to loving have this arguement repeat itself every 3-4 months for eternity.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Worth noting that somehow everyone's pent up frustation is being directed at other people and not the absolute monsters that keep enabling the worst among us to spread a virus and mutate it so that capital doesn't get scared. I was forced to work in incredibly unsafe conditions through the worst of the pandemic, losing my housing and having to move provinces for work in the process, and it is so loving frustrating that we are now screaming about what the acceptable human cost of having an overpriced beer on some patio is. Some of you have been so insulated from any real effects of this and it shows. It is beyond frustrating. For the record, I do agree that people can manage risks and such, but I wouldn't dream of lionizing drinking a beer on a patio as the hill I die on in a global pandemic that has ground the working poor, including servers, into the ground in the name of protecting the economy.

I remember people here discussing that this could change everything, but it is so obvious that so many would gladly accept a way more cruel society if that society at least lets them pretend things are back to normal.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Individualism has ruined us, we can all manage our own risk sure, but when people managing their own risk without care came to my work I couldn't manage my risk anymore. Service workers are basically non-existant in the risk calcualtions everyone is making.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so again, is there a point at which you foresee yourself ever being comfortable partaking in public life, or is that now forever lost because of endemic covid?

what, if not your personal vaccination, the vaccination of those around you, masks in indoor settings, and social distancing, could convince you it is safe or prudent to leave the house?

i am sorry you lost your job and your housing. i don't think that has any bearing on whether people begin socializing again.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 08:20 on Aug 22, 2021

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I work with the public, as I must work and those are my skills/work experience, so I'm already out there. I have a small art studio I work in as well, so I get some socialization there. I do what I must in public, but I don't go to restruants or stuff I don't need to go to as I'd rather not risk someones health for my own enjoyment.

I also work with largely unvaxxed people (the bulk of which are kids) so I am at slightly higher risk of spreading covid despite being vaxxed myself. I don't think I'm at much risk at all now, but I'm worried about killing/harming someone for something stupid like a beer I could just have at home.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Again, the idea that everyone just has the option to just hide indoors reveals a lot.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Again, the idea that everyone just has the option to just hide indoors reveals a lot.

who said this? for "never leave the house", read "socially"

it is assumed that even the people still washing their groceries in the shower are probably going out doors for one reason or another.

are service workers where you are not getting vaccinated? from my entirely anecdotal sample of the ones i know, they have been, as soon as they were eligible and have had two doses in them for well over a month.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 08:29 on Aug 22, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the people still washing their groceries in the shower

the

what

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

This whole conversation has had at the center of it the notion that people should be able to simply manage their own risk, implicit in that is that those who want to socialize and go out can do so at their own risk, and those that don't want to take the risk can avoid the risk, which would mean *mostly* staying inside.

If I have to serve you because I need a job what does it matter to me if I can assess my own risk for my social outings, I'm already am bound to whatever risk you decided upon.

Please note: I'm not saying we should all be hermits and live indoors forever, covid is likely here to stay. It just really bothers me that from start to possibly finish poor workers have seeminly never been a part of the risk equation anyone at any level has calculated. It certainly factors into my socialization. Notably I've done that purely in my shared art studio where we all agreed to share some risk to have a little social oasis. Nobody there is economically bound to the place, we are there by choice.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Early in the pandemic while working in a grocery store I had someone scream in my face about how insane it was that we didn't sanitize all the groceries. Like they wanted us to be coating all the food in sanitizer or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

If I have to serve you because I need a job what does it matter to me if I can assess my own risk for my social outings, I'm already am bound to whatever risk you decided upon.

if people don't come in to eat, you also don't have a job there. functionally, what is the difference between not working somewhere because of unacceptable personal risk and not working somewhere because they're closed? i'm not trying to say "just get another job", but i am earnestly wondering the difference is.

similar to virtual russian's anecdote, someone (possibly ITT, i forget) was talking about how they quarantined all their groceries in the shower for three days after every trip

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 08:38 on Aug 22, 2021

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Another great experience was a woman screaming at me for not having a proper mask in like March or April 2020, I was using a scarf because there literally were no masks available anywhere, Sobey's wasn't giving us PPE, and I was outside working the door in Ontario and it was cold. I told here there were none, nor was the company giving is any, she just shouted "that's just an excuse."

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Is that lady posting here?!?

Kinda curious too about what does need to happen to return to normal is for some of you. Covid is going to be endemic and is never going away. I certainly hope it isn’t that lady coming back and apologizing to you, as I think you’re gonna be waiting on that one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
wall off the Okanagan and I think we're good out here tbh

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

if people don't come in to eat, you also don't have a job there. functionally, what is the difference between not working somewhere because of unacceptable personal risk and not working somewhere because they're closed? i'm not trying to say "just get another job", but i am earnestly wondering the difference is.

similar to virtual russian's anecdote, someone (possibly ITT, i forget) was talking about how they quarantined all their groceries in the shower for three days after every trip

It is a hard one, but I'm sure a better system would have seen something like CERB except it was functionally available to all and continued. That way someone could work if they felt fine to, not just based on what side of a series of arbitrary rules you were lucky enough to fall on. I feel like the current system is just protect the economy at the cost of individual workers. The system works well for business owners and customers, but not workers. At my job, which I'm very lucky to have gotten, I'm full-time. However due to slowdown we have started hiring people for ~ 10 - 18 hours a week. Formally it was an entirely full-time staff. All our new hires have at LEAST two other jobs, it seems everyone is juggling even more jobs now than before.

Also on the groceries I can't blame people too much for quarantining their groceries, at one point that was being recommended if I recall, it must have really stuck with someone. We always laughed at the idea of the logistics behind it. Did people quarantine milk? Was milk somehow immune?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Crow Buddy posted:

Is that lady posting here?!?

Kinda curious too about what does need to happen to return to normal is for some of you. Covid is going to be endemic and is never going away. I certainly hope it isn’t that lady coming back and apologizing to you, as I think you’re gonna be waiting on that one.

I would need to at least not be working with unvaccinated people everyday, that would certainly ease my worry about picking up covid and giving it to some cashier or something like that. More broadly, cases would need to not be increasing on a daily basis for a new variant. Like I would personally advocate for more restriction until we clear more vaccinations. We keep doing half-measures and that just keeps things going. Like why are we opening to and even encouraging tourism? Why do I feel like I'm the insane one for wanting to finish this off once and for all?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the issue is we're unlikely to be finished with this once and for all, personal choices notwithstanding. if covid is endemic, and so far it appears it will be, then at some point you have to decide whether you want to participate in social life ever again. for now, if you work with people who are unvaccinated, it's certainly prudent to avoid unnecessary exposure.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I do love that we've just kind of given up. Cases are increasing and a new variant is making the rounds, but hey "what can we do? gotta go out and spend money."

Like I hear what you are saying, it will likely be here for a long time/ever, but maybe we can do something about it now? Again, I feel like I must be looking at a totally wrong data set or am just insane. Either that or we've collectively hardened ourselves to the idea that people are expendable at some level if it interferes with our social lives. It would be one thing if things were not actively getting worse by the day.

Am I the crazy one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
For sure the ideal would be pursuing elimination. But you as a single person isolating in your apartment is not going to make that happen. I really wish that Canada, and the U.S., and the rest of the world early on said that we're going to take this super seriously, lock down hard, and wipe out cases. But that didn't happen, and that's obviously not going to happen.

Deciding that you're not going to try and pursue an elimination strategy yourself, when 35 million other people in your country aren't isn't going to achieve anything, the same way that you're not giving up your communist ideals if you take a job or buy something in a capitalist country. It's not giving up, it's acknowledging the reality that you live in a country that's never going to pursue Covid Zero, and acting like you're in a country that is doing that accomplishes nothing other than eliminating one of the most important sources of well-being in your life (i.e. socialization with other people).

By all means you need to come up with a risk profile you are personally comfortable with, and this should involve how many people you're regularly in contact with who are unvaccinated, or immunocompromised, or high risk in any way. But to me, refusing to sit on a patio or a backyard with other vaccinated people (a very low risk activity) when you're already working indoors for long shifts (a much higher risk activity) is adding very little risk and depriving you of something pretty big.

enki42 has issued a correction as of 10:09 on Aug 22, 2021