Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The way I look at it, my car is a driver and not a showpiece. It was a ~$20K toy when I bought it.

If I paid a dealer or recognized Porsche shop for maintenance, I'd be paying $300 for oil changes every year and probably $3k+ annually in other generic maintenance, just because it's a 22 year old car and poo poo wears out.

For what I would pay in repairs would *never* be made up in value of the car. I get that everyone would like a full service history from the Porsche dealer probably including a stamp from a notary, but it's not collectible or valuable enough to make that worth while.

In addition, the closet Porsche shop is 2 hours away from me so that ain't going to happen. I trust my own skills for 75% of the work over a generic Euro shop.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Replacing the top wasn't too bad at all, there are just many steps involved, the only significantly frustrating parts were lining up with "cords" that slide into slots in the convertible frame and pulling and stretching the fabric over the front of the frame and securing the screws was a bit of work. Wouldn't be scared of doing it again if I picked up another random Boxster with a bad window or top.

Overall I don't find the maintenance that difficult at all, the only real difference is that you need to get under the rear of the car instead of the front, otherwise the basic stuff is about the same.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Drove the 993 to work every day this week.

Observations:
It's amazing sitting in traffic next to 3 lifted bro-trucks.
AC has come a long way in 20+ years.
There's a level of smugness parking next to water cooled 911s in the parking lot that I didn't expect.
I still love looking back at it in the parking lot.

Ordered my Fister II exhaust for it. Hopefully should be here next month.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The ac in the 996 is shockingly good. I know it's not exactly a huge space to cool, but for a 22 year old AC system that, afaik is on it's original charge (I have zero idea if it is, but I've never touched it), it's crazy good. I can cool down the interior from please kill me temps to comfort in seconds, followed by holy poo poo I need to turn the AC off/temp up in something like 2-3 minutes.

I know it's not exactly a landmark #, but as a fluke I looked at my mileage as I left my club last night and noticed it is the first time I went an even 10K multiple since I bought it. I think it had ~112K when I got it 4 years ago. So basically 8K in 4 years. Good grief. :rolleyes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
AC in my Boxster is great, albeit I rarely use it in California, i`m top down most of the time since it hasnt rained in a year.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My Taycan came with a really lovely plastic license plate holder which has been annoying me whenever I notice it. The holder was fairly badly screwed onto a plastic mount which itself was attached with plastic trim clips.

I got a flush mounting kit which turns out to be some very expensive velcro. It looks a load better, though not as good as no plate at all.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 17, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How much is the ticket for not having a front plate in your land?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I think deliberately driving with no front plate would be a recipe for getting immediately stopped and totally shafted by the extremely humorless Polizei

And also reported by every other driver you pass.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know some places take that seriously, but here they literally do not even issue front plates. Haven't for probably 30 years.

I've never had any problems but I have heard of some people getting pulled over in the states and the cops not believing them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

No front plates in Arizona which I bet will be fun if I take a road trip more than a few states out at some point. I am more shocked that I didn’t get pulled over with NH plates while driving cross country at any point.

My old poncho has a front plate mount so got this to put in there

So if anyone sees there is no front plate they at least can see why :v:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's just a YMMV thing.

Front plates are required in CA but I've never used mine; I don't think the police (in my area at least) will pull you over just for not having one, although I would expect if you're pulled over for some other infraction they'll cite you for the missing plate too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I put mine on the M5 because the front plate holder covered a hole in the bumper cover that I didn't care to repair

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I know some places take that seriously, but here they literally do not even issue front plates. Haven't for probably 30 years.

I've never had any problems but I have heard of some people getting pulled over in the states and the cops not believing them.

I've lived in two different states that don't issue front plates, driven all around the country like this, and have never been stopped nor have I heard of anyone getting stopped for this kind of thing. What state(s) are you talking about where cops are pulling over out of state/country residents and hassling them about plates?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

And also reported by every other driver you pass.

Haha wow.

I guess that's what you get for living in an actual modern society.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Russian Bear posted:

Haha wow.

I guess that's what you get for living in an actual modern society.

Not 100% sure it is that modern! Women did not have the vote across the whole country until 1990 and it is often very local and conservative. People mentally lump Switzerland together with the Nordics culturally for some reason but it's pretty different.

One of my colleagues was reported to the police for letting her daughter sit on her lap and drive in a deserted car park.

I guess there is almost zero visible crime. Anyway it's a nice place to live but often really loving weird.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Motronic posted:

I've lived in two different states that don't issue front plates, driven all around the country like this, and have never been stopped nor have I heard of anyone getting stopped for this kind of thing. What state(s) are you talking about where cops are pulling over out of state/country residents and hassling them about plates?
I never had an issue either just hearsay. To be fair I haven't heard about it in years so it might have been mostly early when most places did still have front plates.

I do know a friend of mine in Alberta got pulled over in British Columbia because of that. But that would have definitely been shortly after they were not issued anymore.

I'm more interested with how it's going to go now because in Alberta when you do your plate renewal for the year they don't even give you stickers anymore. So come December of this year everybody is going to have what looks like expired plates and until a cop runs it will they know if it's current or not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'm more interested with how it's going to go now because in Alberta when you do your plate renewal for the year they don't even give you stickers anymore. So come December of this year everybody is going to have what looks like expired plates and until a cop runs it will they know if it's current or not.

Every cop knows why there are "expired" stickers on everything: because the cameras all over their car are telling them every tag they can see and immediately uploading it/reporting if its valid or not.

The last time I had a cop up my rear end, and this was post sticker issuance for my state, was two days after I bought my daughter's car and had a new plate with no sticker on it and it obviously hadn't "percolated" through the DMV database. Dude got RIGHT on my rear end, saw the state issued temp registration tag in the back window, backed off and turned at the very next intersection.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have been pulled over a few times for driving like a dildo where the cops gave me fix-it tickets for no front plate instead of an actual ticket. I take every front plate off now, because I like them to have that option.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've gotten like 10 no front plate parking tickets just parking on regular city streets over the years, but cops generally don't give a poo poo about front plates in LA, unless they do give a poo poo about it in which case it's just an excuse to pull you over.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Until last year, Ohio required a front plate. I never ran one on my Miatas or my coupe quattro, but I did get pulled over for that. Perhaps 4 times in 15 years? Never got a ticket, I always had the front plate all scraped up in the front passenger footwell and a bit of broken bracket. I'd tell the cops I hit a raccoon and it ripped the plate off, and I'm waiting on a new plate bracket from the dealer. Worked every time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Motronic posted:

because the cameras all over their car are telling them every tag they can see and immediately uploading it/reporting if its valid or not.
Not here they don't, or at least not on all of them yet. It still has to be run manually.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Not 100% sure it is that modern! Women did not have the vote across the whole country until 1990 and it is often very local and conservative. People mentally lump Switzerland together with the Nordics culturally for some reason but it's pretty different.

One of my colleagues was reported to the police for letting her daughter sit on her lap and drive in a deserted car park.

I guess there is almost zero visible crime. Anyway it's a nice place to live but often really loving weird.

My friend lived in Zürich for a few years and described it as the least friendly place he's ever lived. He gave an example of whenever he would have a party, he'd invite his neighbors, who immediately after leaving would always call the cops to shut the party down since they decided they were done for the night. Maybe he just had particularly unfriendly neighbors :shobon: but it does seem line with what you're saying.

How much does the culture change between cantons and language regions?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The French speaking bit where I live is much more chilled out than the German bit. I think the further West you go, the more normal it gets. My girlfriend and I have made friends with local people who have not called the cops on us.

Once you have a connection I've found that people are very warm, but there is a very insular and individualistic attitude in general. It is not generally welcoming to foreigners and I'm sure particularly if you're not white. I have a holiday home in the mountains in rural Valais and the people there are a much tougher nut to crack than in the city, I only really know expats there.

I can definitely see why some people would not think it's worth the effort. I've made some good friends though and the quality of life is great. Working from home and skiing in my lunch breaks is mind-blowing.

The driving is absolutely dogshit though.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Got invited to the Porsche road show, got to drive an assortment of fancy cars on the road and through the world's shortest autocross course.

The torque on the taycan is :tviv: you blink and the thing is well above the speed limit. I welcome the EV revolution, it's one hell of a car.

Also got to play with Turbo S variants of the taycan and 911, both were fantastic in their own way, I'm surprised how well the taycan masks it's weight, it doesn't feel like it's 5000+ lb.

Honestly my only gripe with the experience is it could have been longer, but I really shouldn't complain considering it's 2hrs and at no cost to me.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

drat it! You lucky bastard. I signed up for the road show but demand here was so high that I didn't make the cut.

That's awesome!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Does the Taycan really display a little gas pump icon for battery charge, or is it supposed to be a little charger?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It is indeed meant to be a charger. I wish we had more time in the cars themselves before we set off so that we could familiarize ourselves with the interiors and clusters. There's so many various options for setting up the gauges it would be cool to sit down and figure it all out. But yes, if you get a chance to do one of these, 100% jump on it. I was a little hesitant at first because the original form gave me a choice of Macan, Cayenne, or Panamera to drive without explaining much about what the experience was about. I went with Macan and started the afternoon in a Macan Turbo, which fixed my biggest issue with the Macan, namely the interior. The leather wrapped dash and brushed aluminium looks and feels premium, much much better than the regular dash.

(photo stolen off the internet)

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 21, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is like how the save button is still a floppy disk even tho who has used one of those in like 20 years?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

So I went and did a thing

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Wow, nice curves on that.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a kind of tape or sealant to use to patch up some crumbling areas of rubber headlight seal on my 996 halogens? One side is pretty good but the other one has a couple chunks of it missing and other areas getting gummy/crumbly. Will black RTV carefully and judiciously applied work well enough? I currently have some electrical tape on there just holding some parts of it on/together but I need a more permanent solution. New seals only come with the entire headlamp assembly so are basically unobtanium.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 21, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

got off on a technicality posted:

Oh my :allears:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

RoyalScion posted:

It's just a YMMV thing.

Front plates are required in CA but I've never used mine; I don't think the police (in my area at least) will pull you over just for not having one, although I would expect if you're pulled over for some other infraction they'll cite you for the missing plate too.

Ive gotten tickets from parking enforcement in SF for $120 for no front plate and no reduction upon correction, then 3 miles south living in Daly City I got one from street cleaning enforcement (I was on the correct side but i guess they decided since they were in the area v0v) it was $35 but with proof of correction $10.

In general I’ve mostly heard it as add on or whatever else or in lieu of whatever worse thing they pulled you over for like mentioned. But I’m also pretty sure if I weren’t white I’d be a lot more likely to have a different set of hearsay on it and experience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

Wow, nice curves on that.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a kind of tape or sealant to use to patch up some crumbling areas of rubber headlight seal on my 996 halogens? One side is pretty good but the other one has a couple chunks of it missing and other areas getting gummy/crumbly. Will black RTV carefully and judiciously applied work well enough? I currently have some electrical tape on there just holding some parts of it on/together but I need a more permanent solution. New seals only come with the entire headlamp assembly so are basically unobtanium.

You can actually buy new gaskets for those (I actually saw some online somewhere recently but be darned where). But if you just want to ghetto some black RTV carefully applied should be as good as can be with goop, but I've never sealed a headlight unit so :shrug: You only typically see problems like that one ones that have been taken apart.

Noice

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Ranzear posted:

What needs to change is to stop thinking you rev-match better than the blipper and heel-toeing a car that has synchros on every gear and not enough flywheel and input shaft mass for double clutching to work anyway. Also just loving drive in Sport+ on the street.

The cup holders are brilliant. That is a hill I will die on. Stop putting big gulps in them.

Didn't mean to upset you brother, it's just more fun doing everything myself. I don't think I'm better than the auto-rev match at all, and I'm certainly not faster than the PDK. I just want to drive the car myself as much as possible, because it's fun! (Also, not double clutching on the heel-toe, just regular up-shifting. If I shouldn't be doing that for some mechanical reason, please let me know).

Residency Evil posted:

Missed this but:

1. Not sure, but I know they do make aftermarket pedals.
2. Have you seen this: http://t-design9.com/memory_module_porsche.html
3. You're not dropping down the cup holder compartment and letting it sit down, right? You're putting it back up after you pop the cupholder out? That gives it much more stability.

For #3, yeah, I'm popping the trim back in place. I made that mistake the first time I used the cupholders and learned real quick. And thank you for #2, I had not seen that! My main issue with the cupholders is not that they are flimsy per-se, but if you have a cold drink and it's hot out (I live in Texas), the condensation drips down from the cupholder into the center console.

Scionix fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 22, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NICE, 993 brother.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

You can actually buy new gaskets for those (I actually saw some online somewhere recently but be darned where). But if you just want to ghetto some black RTV carefully applied should be as good as can be with goop, but I've never sealed a headlight unit so :shrug: You only typically see problems like that one ones that have been taken apart.

Noice

No no I’d much rather buy a replacement if that’s possible. If you happen to be able to remember where I’d but very appreciative !

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Ive gotten tickets from parking enforcement in SF for $120 for no front plate and no reduction upon correction, then 3 miles south living in Daly City I got one from street cleaning enforcement (I was on the correct side but i guess they decided since they were in the area v0v) it was $35 but with proof of correction $10.

In general I’ve mostly heard it as add on or whatever else or in lieu of whatever worse thing they pulled you over for like mentioned. But I’m also pretty sure if I weren’t white I’d be a lot more likely to have a different set of hearsay on it and experience.

From what I've heard anecdotally, they're much more likely to enforce it in SF, probably because there's actual parking enforcement; I live in south bay and pretty much never go to SF (and wouldn't drive to SF anyways :v:). I"ve at least driven past quite a number of police in town and never been pulled over yet, knock on wood.

That said, I have heard that CHP/police have been cracking down quite a bit on skyline so I've been avoiding that area.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That's a good thing

Friend stayed at the house over the past week to take care of the dogs, I told him he could drive the cayman while he was here if he wanted. Looks like he burned about a tank and a half driving it into work every day and probably to the mountains or something. Now he's thinking about selling his ZHP E46 to help fund a cayman purchase. He's going to come back when he has some time and do some paint correction, might have him apply a ceramic coating.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

No no I’d much rather buy a replacement if that’s possible. If you happen to be able to remember where I’d but very appreciative !
It might have actually been ebay now that I think of it.
Here is a thread where guys talk about it, but it seems sorta ghetto to me. But if it works, it works.
https://www.renntech.org/topic/20814-996-headlight-rubber-seal/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah I saw that thread and the aftermarket seal options. My light has enough of the seal intact (75%+) that I think repairing and patching is my first choice before stripping out what’s left and trying something non-OEM. The passenger side is fine. I could also take the seal off one of my hacked together litronics but I’d like to keep them decent in case I want to sell them.