Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The peak clip is nice overall, but I find that the thumb screws can loosen during use and I always have to double check them. I doubt I’d trust a knock off version of the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Action Cam chat: I have a trio of Sony FDR-X3000s and I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned ITT yet, I think they're pretty drat good. Battery life is typical in 4K but surprisingly long in lower resolutions, they mount to a standard 1/4" thread instead of those silly GoPro proprietary mounts, and they come with a waterproof case.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not much action cam talk in this thread. Also they appear to be discontinued?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Just get the Peak clip, it's worth it. There's nothing better for taking your camera along on a hike.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

There's nothing like cheaping out to save 40$ on a clip that's holding your 800$ Body & 400$ lens

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
+1 for the peak clip, just took mine for its first rodeo and really liked it. Not super convenient if you’re constantly taking shots, but maybe that’s what a hand strap is for? I did ditch the thumbscrews for plain bolts, though

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Slotducks posted:

There's nothing like cheaping out to save 40$ on a clip that's holding your 800$ Body & 400$ lens

lol fair. I have the belt clip for my Pentax ME and wish that was a thing for my x100s. I don't even care that it would block the back screen. The clip is so handy to slip on and off the chest strap.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

dupersaurus posted:

+1 for the peak clip, just took mine for its first rodeo and really liked it. Not super convenient if you’re constantly taking shots, but maybe that’s what a hand strap is for? I did ditch the thumbscrews for plain bolts, though

I use the Peak capture clip with the Peak hand strap, which attaches to the ARCA plate on the bottom. Haven't found a better system. Far more accessible and less annoying than a strap. The only thing that annoys me is that when you're not using your camera and it's on your shelf, which is 95% of the time for me, the plate prevents the camera from sitting neatly on its bottom.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

I didn’t realize I could swap in the Allen bolts for the thumb screws. Definitely do that if you have a heavyish setup.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Maybe I asked this a while back but with work opening up again, I may have an additional opportunity running the social media engagement at my work - a popular arcade bar. This would involve some photography of the games and the space, potentially photography of people in the space when things open up fully, maybe even some video.

First, the technical questions (natch). I have some seat-of-the-pants ideas as to how to shoot arcade cabs and pinball machines; I probably don't want to use a flash, and I'm hoping my 50mm f/1.8 will do the job tilted on its side for individual cabinets, Dutch angle to capture rows of machines. I really like my long exposures on tripods but I'm obviously concerned about blurring CRT screens and flashing rows of lights. So I'm thinking somewhere around a 2.4-4 aperture, 1/30 shutter and whatever ISO I need to work around that, but of course I'll experiment in the space. When it comes time to shoot people in the space, I'll bring my flash, since I'm a big fan of rear-curtain shutter light trails which I bet some of the machines' toppers will do nicely.

Now onto the business side of things. Aside from two friends' wedding about a year ago, I've never had a paid gig and I'm wondering how to go about what I'm worth. As I said this place is a bar (I might be doing this job for two locations), so they're going to be stingy about it. My manager made a comment to the effect of "it's not much, like $100 a week," which worries me because it could end up being several hours of social media work PLUS photography and editing, or worse, effectively being constantly expected to engage immediately with patrons' posts. I know this is straying kind of away from strict photography chat but I guess what I'm wondering is should I be billing the photography work separately? What about contracts, ownership of photos etc., is this going to bite me in the rear end if I don't come correct right out of the gate with my own expectations?

Is there a better thread to ask this stuff? Thanks for your time.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is this just an addon to your normal duties (like, you're doing the social media while you're also getting paid for your normal job there)? For the photography, is it for paid advertising, social media filler content, new website, etc? For social media somewhere stingy they're probably wanting to underpay for good iphone photos, so I'd definitely think about the time involved and whether it's gonna be worth it. If they're using it for paid media or something that has other costs associated maybe there's more room for negotiation.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

powderific posted:

Is this just an addon to your normal duties (like, you're doing the social media while you're also getting paid for your normal job there)? For the photography, is it for paid advertising, social media filler content, new website, etc? For social media somewhere stingy they're probably wanting to underpay for good iphone photos, so I'd definitely think about the time involved and whether it's gonna be worth it. If they're using it for paid media or something that has other costs associated maybe there's more room for negotiation.

It'll be at least for social media filler (including promotional contests, posting about a new game cabinet, and things like that) and probably also updated photos for their website. The manager/owner is well aware that I'm a half-decent photog with quality gear and a good eye. Manager had been handling the social media but expressed that he's spread thin and would like to seriously consider outsourcing the work. As someone with other creative interests (I've been bugging them to give me a DJ night there again because those used to go off) I feel like this could be a nice foot in the door to booking work, but I don't want to sell myself short as a shooter either. I like bussing there, but if I could convince them that being behind the decks and/or walking around shooting pics of smiling patrons on a Saturday night would be better for the business than collecting pintglasses, I want to do that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it would be worth separating higher production photos from. the social media managing/insta story style photos, both for money and how much time you put into it. At minimum think through the time commitment vs. dollar amount as an hourly.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

As far as action cams go, is there any thread opinion on Insta360? They obviously are more geared towards… uh, 360° content, but they have 1” sensor single-lens action cams, too, I think?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I was offered a good deal on a 360 camera since I know someone who bought one and used it about 2x. What turned me off (and probably why they only used it a few times and said "we never really figured it out") Is you need to take the video and edit it in their app to not have it be basically a sphere and wonky looking.

360's are great if you wanna stick em on a stick and capture everthing around you.. like everything, but you're relegated to their software etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

360 software pretty universally sucks, there's no real standard for it so everyone's just tossing shot out and hoping you never try to use the files outside their ecosystem.

I have fun with my fusion, though these days it's relegated to taking 360 photos I send to google street view or documenting interesting photographic locations for future planning. I hate processing the video so much I don't even bother recording anymore.

Last time I looked at reviews the Insta360 was the best. If I was buying now that's what I'd get, processing still sucks but it produces the best files for the price range.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Maybe I asked this a while back but with work opening up again, I may have an additional opportunity running the social media engagement at my work - a popular arcade bar. This would involve some photography of the games and the space, potentially photography of people in the space when things open up fully, maybe even some video.

First, the technical questions (natch). I have some seat-of-the-pants ideas as to how to shoot arcade cabs and pinball machines; I probably don't want to use a flash, and I'm hoping my 50mm f/1.8 will do the job tilted on its side for individual cabinets, Dutch angle to capture rows of machines.

Is this a full frame or crop body? For that kind of indoors spot you’re going to want to go much wider than that. Nifty 50 has its place but that idea of rows or full cabinets is likely better done with a 16 crop/24 full frame.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's a full-frame Z6, I forgot to mention that yeah I'll be using different glass for the shots of the space. Maybe even my 15mm fisheye, but probably not. I have the 24-70 f/4 kit lens, but I've been looking at a 20mm f/1.8...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apologies if this is slighty off topic but I'm curious about what there is to be said and know about the quality of the bokeh on this photo. poo poo I hate that word lol

the gear is a canon 7D, and ef50mm f/1.8

aesthetically, I reckon the bokeh is actually quite unappealing. it draws too much attention to itself and just isn't that nice. it looks like theres some chromatic abberhatrion poo poo or fringing going on too

most of the time the effect isn't very attention-drawing

regardless, is this considered normal? or maybe I have unrealistic expectations?

or maybe I have bad taste and it looks good

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
In my hunt for photo editing software I seem to have narrowed in on Capture One as being probably the best alternative to lightroom. Does it have the ability to actively maintain its catalog using sidecar files, so that every single edit updates the sidecar file, like Lightroom does? It looks like you can do an export and generate the sidecar files but I'd rather just do my editing and then fire off an rsync/rclone to the backup server, without having to do the step of the export.

With the export, it should notionally be possible to make it work - you would have to use file checksums (as the file timestamp itself would change every time you exported it) but I think it would be possible to export it as "original plus sidecar file" and then rsync/rclone the export directory.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 1, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit cause I’m sow posting, in reference to bokeh photo: It’s pretty busy. I don’t think the 50 1.8 is known for great bokeh and the background looks not ideal in any case.

For capture one, you can choose how it handles the sidecar files: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002544898-Metadata-in-XMP-sidecar-files

powderific fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 1, 2021

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

echinopsis posted:

apologies if this is slighty off topic but I'm curious about what there is to be said and know about the quality of the bokeh on this photo. poo poo I hate that word lol

I would agree, it is not very appealing. You can exert some control with different apertures and subject distances, but I think in this case the background (and lighting) is too challenging. A different lens may have helped but a different background/lighting condition/angle/composition may have produced more pleasing results with what you were working with.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Yeah, that scene is asking a lot of the 50/1.8. Correcting the LoCA is still worth a try to make the background a bit less eye-catching.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

seravid posted:

Yeah, that scene is asking a lot of the 50/1.8. Correcting the LoCA is still worth a try to make the background a bit less eye-catching.

can you forgive my lack of knowledge and tell me why thats such a challenging scene?

powderific posted:

I don’t think the 50 1.8 is known for great bokeh

interesting. I've taken tons of great photos with excellent subject separation, and the bokeh was very smooth, but when I look back at those pics I see much more uniform areas and also focused closer so more out of focus again.

thanks

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Individual points of light become circles in out of focus areas. If these circles have edges, rings, or odd shapes instead of being smooth it is usually less appealing. Objects that are out of focus take on the same ugly edges that individual points do, just along the whole shape. Bright highlights especially.

They are pretty ugly as a single object but when you have a whole background of bright angular shapes all the ugly edges overlap into that busy look.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
if you want a bokeh monster, find yourself a double-Gauss type like a 75mm/85mm/100mm.

I dunno about Canon’s lineup but the Nikkor 105/2.5 is a very pleasant lens, as is my Pentax 67’s 150/2.8.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

interesting. I've taken tons of great photos with excellent subject separation, and the bokeh was very smooth, but when I look back at those pics I see much more uniform areas and also focused closer so more out of focus again.

thanks

The nifty fifty can take great photos with nice bokeh under some circumstances (e.g. background is sufficently uniform and far away) but I think it's a limitation of the 5-blade aperture that causes it to be uglier if there's a lot of detail in the bg.

The 1.8 was my first prime lens, but I then got the ef-m 32mm 1.4 with the m50 which is much smoother in contrast:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-50-1p8-ii-c16/4
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-ef-m-32mm-f1-4-review
It's a much more expensive lens though so no surprise there

Obviously it's not an option for an EF/S body but pretty much any other 50mm Canon lens would be better too

E: is there any practical difference between SanDisk Extreme Pro and non-pro? I need it to record 4k on the M50 and Mavic Air 1.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 1, 2021

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the best value film leica m mount camera? Looking to use a 40mm 1.2 mostly.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Probably a Voigtlander Bessa.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Canon L1 or VL, or anything else Canon rangefinder.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Megabound posted:

Canon L1 or VL, or anything else Canon rangefinder.

Those are LTM tho

teraflame posted:

Whats the best value film leica m mount camera? Looking to use a 40mm 1.2 mostly.

I'm out of the loop but as of a few years ago the Zeiss Ikon RF would be the perfect. Not crazy expensive and a nice long RF base for accurate f/1.2 focusing.

https://www.35mmc.com/19/03/2016/zeiss-ikon-review/

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
those zeiss ikons are as expensive as leicas these days

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
konica hexars are somehow cheaper, leica cl and minolta cle's are as well.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

8th-snype posted:

Those are LTM tho
Shows how much I know about Leica mounts.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

konica hexars are somehow cheaper, leica cl and minolta cle's are as well.

I'm not sure I'd put an f/1.2 lens on a CLE don't they have really short RF bases? The Hexars are cool but there's anecdotes going back to the 90s of them not quite focusing with M mount lenses and I'm not sure if anyone still services them.

Yeah, the Ikon looks like it's up there in price but still cheaper than an M6 in a quick ebay search.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What basic equipment would work for a white background for headshot photos? I looked at ones for chromakey streaming setups (with the stands) but they seemed overkill for me.

We have a white wall but I'd rather not (and it has a light switch).

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bedsheet and PVC pipe. Do it all the time. Backlight the bedsheet with a strobe to hide wrinkles. Keeping it outside the depth of field also hides wrinkles. Or I guess you could iron it if you're not lazy like me but you need to add tension to it to make it taught.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Does it have to be white? I use a $15 synthetic wool blanket I bought years ago as a background. The heavier weight and the texture of the fabric helps hide any wrinkles or whatever in the background.

If it does have to be white I'd be tempted to go to like Joann Fabric and see if they have any scrap white fleece in sizes you need. I go there for interesting cloth to do product shots on.

Then just buy whatever background stand you can afford (check craigslist first) and some clamps to hold the background on. If you get a beefyier stand you can use magic arms to mount hairlights and stuff but you don't need anything fancy as long as you already own lightstands that will work in your space.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Looking for some recommendations for a DSLR field monitor if anyone has experience with them. I’m using a Nikon D3300 DSLR and am currently saddled with the camera’s built-in LCD screen for focus assistance and framing up shots. I’d ideally wanna try and keep the spending on it under €200 if a good solid compatible one is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Looking for some recommendations for a DSLR field monitor if anyone has experience with them. I’m using a Nikon D3300 DSLR and am currently saddled with the camera’s built-in LCD screen for focus assistance and framing up shots. I’d ideally wanna try and keep the spending on it under €200 if a good solid compatible one is available.

Feelworld makes a bunch of inexpensive monitors in the sub €200 range. No idea about the quality, a few Youtube reviews said they're decent. You can probably just mount them on the hotshoe, or you can look into getting a rig for the camera. Remember to get extra batteries for the monitor, too.