Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I can't play 12 minutes now that I know the twist. I'll just be constantly thinking of Naruto Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Playing this goofy game without a guide must've been next level tedious. I'm at a point where I as a player know the name that is important but now it's figuring out exactly what to do and when to do it so my dumbass character figures it out. I've been trying to get through without a guide but a lot of these steps are dumb and sometimes are just do exactly the same thing only you have one new dialog option.

Edit: lol putting the important thing on the table or giving it to the wife doesn't work, that's so silly. Game could do with a tiny bit of flexibility with things like this.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 21, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The knowing too much but not knowing how the game wants you to reason it out is the only weak point of the Ace Attorney games as well. But, it wasn't bad enough for me to care too much usually.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The best thing I've seen from 12 Minutes is Telling your wife that you're her half-brother and she's having your child. Followed by getting the cakes out of the fridge and sitting down at the table and eating them both while she cries on the couch.

The game doesn't allow to do some of the most logical possible actions, but it does allow you to completely destroy any sort of atmosphere that it is trying to create.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I end all of my "failed" runs by sitting at the table and having a piece of cake.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just like real life

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Just like real life

lol

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

American McGay posted:

I end all of my "failed" runs by sitting at the table and having a piece of cake.

John F Bennett posted:

Just like real life

:drat:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The protag plays a bunch of "mmm" "it's so good" soundbites (:v:) when eating the cake and they never change no matter the circumstances, which also makes for some fun scenes

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/noukon/status/1428469278068539394?s=19

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

John F Bennett posted:

Just like real life

Hahahah

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh hey, same thing that happened to me with my Marathon logo. I didn't realize this was a widespread issue

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All those themes for blades, like tears in the rain.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
My tux-wearing banana is still going strong.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Twelve Minutes was a really loving cool concept and presentation in desperate need of a better story and more freedom of choice.

I saw a number of reviews claim it was eight hours long, though, and that's just insanity

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It could have used a few more environmental puzzles and a little less social engineering in the form of new dialogue prompts showing up in subsequent runs, but overall I enjoyed it for what it was. I was impressed by just how deep and fluid it was with all the different scenarios intertwining.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

Oh hey, same thing that happened to me with my Marathon logo. I didn't realize this was a widespread issue
I will continue to be a thorn in the side of Microsoft UI designers for as long as I can.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Also did Gamepass auto-install MS Solitaire to anybody else's account or am I just going crazy?

Lol, I opened the Game Pass PC app for the first time in weeks and MS Solitaire also got auto-installed here. Weird. I definitely didn't preload this.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think Solitaire was bundled with certain versions of Windows, so it might just be telling you about something you already had.

Mind you, the GamePass version is ~~Premium Edition~~ which strips out all of the ads and freemium currency junk.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quake controls fine on a controller. It's fun.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Akuma posted:

I'm guessing you can't do strafe jumping with a controller?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

If I set the sensitivity high enough that I can circle strafe and rocket jump I can’t even walk in a straight line. Lol

Not saying it’s bad, I’m glad it works for some people, but my old rear end is too clumsy at this point. Still tearing it up with a k&m though.

Edit: It’s fine for single player, good even, and there is quite a lot of it with all the expansions.

Also, oddly enough I don’t think I ever played the campaign in Q2 despite pouring hundreds and hundreds of hours into Loki’s minions. Imma play it.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 22, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

:yeah:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I want a god drat rpg to play but everything looks like poo poo to me right now. I just wanna get cool loot and fight poo poo in 3rd person. Warframe is really close to what I’m looking for, but I’m sort of put off by all the iap stuff. Outriders was fun but almost everyone says it gets buggy and lovely, which was disheartening to hear, so I put it down. Same thing with kingdom of alamar or whatever, I was having the best time until the game became ridiculously easy.

I wish I liked bethesda games, but I’m in it for the fat loot and fun combat, not so much story. Is ESO worth a shot? Are the loot and items interesting and fun or is it typical elder scrolls stuff? Being a fiend for loot, I’ve always been disappointed and bored with the weapons and armor in elder scrolls games.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Related questions: do I have to pay a monthly fee for elder scrolls online on Xbox? I need something to fill the void left by Guild Wars 2’s Mac client being killed.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
play Neverwinter :getin:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Asnorban posted:

Related questions: do I have to pay a monthly fee for elder scrolls online on Xbox? I need something to fill the void left by Guild Wars 2’s Mac client being killed.

No, just get the expansions if you want. The monthly sub though gives you $15 worth of the in-game cash shop currency each month, and unlocks all DLC.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

I had fun playing a couple maps of the new episode with a friend and goon using split screen. Single player is fine on controller, but it's very hard to hit the right turn speed to bunny hop properly, don't need to do that to go shoot ogres with nails and rockets though!

Definitely easier than doing a LAN, local coop on a classic like this whips rear end.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Goddamn the end of Twelve Minutes is some monumentally goofy poo poo. The only winning move is not to gently caress your stepsister.

Question about the end... So it seems like Willem Dafoe is either playing two different characters or actually is the Dad of James and Daisy. If he's the Dad then a lot of what he says makes no sense. He specifically comments to Daisy that he didn't think she was there when the Dad was murdered... but if he's the Dad then he wasn't murdered at all. If he's playing two different characters then why have Willem Dafoe voice both and give them the same bald head and beard look? I don't think they're different characters because he specifically mentions dating his daughter who seems to be Daisy. So why the story about "The Monster" killing the dad when it's all made up? Did I miss something here or is it obtuse in an attempt to seem profound?

Edit: Ok the thing that makes the most sense to me is that the cop respected the Dad so much that he shaved his head bald and grew a beard to look like him and learned to speak with the same voice.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 22, 2021

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Jolo posted:

Goddamn the end of Twelve Minutes is some monumentally goofy poo poo. The only winning move is not to gently caress your stepsister.

Question about the end... So it seems like Willem Dafoe is either playing two different characters or actually is the Dad of James and Daisy. If he's the Dad then a lot of what he says makes no sense. He specifically comments to Daisy that he didn't think she was there when the Dad was murdered... but if he's the Dad then he wasn't murdered at all. If he's playing two different characters then why have Willem Dafoe voice both and give them the same bald head and beard look? I don't think they're different characters because he specifically mentions dating his daughter who seems to be Daisy. So why the story about "The Monster" killing the dad when it's all made up? Did I miss something here or is it obtuse in an attempt to seem profound?

Edit: Ok the thing that makes the most sense to me is that the cop respected the Dad so much that he shaved his head bald and grew a beard to look like him and learned to speak with the same voice.

Everything in the apartment is a dream or hallucination as you try and recall the truth.

There is no cop, there is no baby. I believe it's even up for debate if you even have a romantic relationship with your half sister, just that you want one.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 22, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was all a dream endings are stupid as a rule, but 12 Minutes also manages to hit every stupid plot branch on the way to the bottom. This game gets dumber every single time I think about it. My life is a little worse for having installed it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Hahaha the funniest part of the whole thing is that because of the repetition of it I'll probably remember this dumb story for years.

There are lots of dumb little things that aren't accounted for either. You can flush the watch without her seeing it but then when she goes to give it to the cop she comes to you saying "give him the watch, babe" and if you try to talk to the cop then after he's about to leave any of the options you say to him reset him back to the state where he's going to handcuff and kill you.

They don't let you flush other stuff like the cake but you can flush that even though the game doesn't account for it. I also like that you can put the lit candles in the toilet and flush them or stick them in your pockets while still lit.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Jolo posted:

My take is that the entire thing is an allegory for therapy and none of the actual traumas referenced in the story actually happened. Willem Dafoe seems to be playing the voice of a therapist, and a lot of the stuff in the flashback scenes in the dad's office feels like therapy. The line about forgetting the past so you can truly live in the present being the most meaningful. I'm guessing the guy and the wife are real people, but everything else is open to interpretation.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I’m not even going to spoiler this because it’s not a spoiler. Is there any actual interaction with the candles?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I cant believe they spent 6 years making 12 minutes

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I’m not even going to spoiler this because it’s not a spoiler. Is there any actual interaction with the candles?

I think their purpose is to be put in the air vent to see what's in one of the air vents.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

You can put them into the ventilation grates to see inside them better. Nothing to see except the watch though.

efb

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
You can also flush them and a variety of other small objects down the toilet!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So my Xbox decided to do the 'black screen of death' thing the other day. I've tried holding down the power button for 10s, letting it shutdown then unplugging it from the wall for a few minutes, but it just does the same thing. Video output still works, it's just all black when it gets to where it should show the dashboard. I can bring up the restart/shutdown menu too, but that's about it.

Anyone else experienced this recently? Based on a twitter search I see that it's a pretty common thing, but didn't know if it was happening more often recently for some reason?

Also:

highme posted:

That’s 3-oh-3, slightly different than 311.

Kick ball and run is good too

Halo 311: You Got To Unoriginal

frogbs fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Amber is the color of your energy shield