Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Biggus Dickus posted:

Missus Dickus convinced me to get YouTube Premium because she likes streaming music while she works. It comes with massive advance removing all tacked-on ads.

I'm still not sure what the big draw of YouTube Premium is. I mean, addons like uBlock Origin are completely free, and they remove ads from everything, not just YouTube :shrug:

e: I currently save £337/month by not subscribing to any drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'll sometimes watch YT on my laptop, work laptop, phone, and TV. Probably worth my whole spending a quid a month or whatever, since only one of those 4 has uBlock

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I usually watch YouTube on my tablet which blocks all ads, which is great. Then whenever I want to look at something on my phone and it's like a 20 second ad for a 30 second video (and usually if I'm following a link from these dead forams it will be completely unlabelled so I won't even know if it's worth watching the first 2 seconds) it completely justifies blocking everything as much as I can. Sorry content creators, take it up with your overlords! Also for a time earlier this year nearly every YouTube ad I saw was for a vile Jimmy Saville documentary that started with him saying something really creepy and disgusting and unskippable for the first few seconds, I eventually figured out how to block specific ads when not using a general ad blocker but jesus that was horrifying, can't imagine what it must be been like for victims of abuse.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I installed SmartTube Next on my Shield TV to get youtube without the ads. At some point they'll wear me down and get me to subscribe, right now £11.99 just to remove ads is ridiculous though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jaete posted:

I'm still not sure what the big draw of YouTube Premium is. I mean, addons like uBlock Origin are completely free, and they remove ads from everything, not just YouTube :shrug:

e: I currently save £337/month by not subscribing to any drat thing

It's stopped working for me for some reason. So I get driven insane by that smug Freddie's Flowers ad all the time and Susan Calman's Bank of Scotland ad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tonty Blair has finally spoken, to remind us of the benefits of Brexit that few would talk about at the time.

quote:

Blair said the lack of consultation Britain enjoyed before the US withdrawal showed its power on the world stage was diminishing. “For Britain, out of Europe and suffering the end of the Afghanistan mission by our greatest ally with little or no consultation, we have serious reflection to do,” he states. “We don’t see it yet. But we are at risk of relegation to the second division of global powers. Maybe we don’t mind. But we should at least take the decision deliberatively.”

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

It's stopped working for me for some reason. So I get driven insane by that smug Freddie's Flowers ad all the time and Susan Calman's Bank of Scotland ad

An update a few weeks back broke it for me - uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin did the trick.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Biggus Dickus posted:

Missus Dickus convinced me to get YouTube Premium because she likes streaming music while she works. It comes with massive advance removing all tacked-on ads.

I recently watched YT on a device that was not signed in and frankly I don't know how I ever stayed sane.

I see/get no adds as i use the 'uBlock Origin' add-on in Firefox, costs nothing.

edit: jaete beat me to it. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 22, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Given that I'm on my brothers family plan (so it gives YouTube Premium to my mum, dad, brothers my wife and I) I can't imagine going back to YouTube with ads.

And the idea of trying to manage a whole bunch of adblockers on my devices (let alone trying to do it on my other family members devices) makes me happy to pay a portion of the plan.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Dealing with insurance in general is one of the things I hate the most about being an adult. So hard to compare products directly, and half the time theres some loophole to avoid a payout

I'm just renewing my car insurance at the moment and had a read through what is excluded. There's a line in there specifically preventing me from claiming on any damages caused to my vehicle by a nuclear weapon. I think if that ever becomes an issue the last thing I'll be doing is putting through an insurance claim :psyduck:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends on the circumstances. Like lets say that moving nuclear missiles around the country gets outsourced to Serco, and one of them falls off of a van and crashes into your car. It doesn't blow up the surrounding countryside because it isn't armed, but it does a few grand of damage to the car and a few million of damage to the missile and physics package. Does that mean you aren't covered?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Marmaduke! posted:

I usually watch YouTube on my tablet which blocks all ads, which is great. Then whenever I want to look at something on my phone and it's like a 20 second ad for a 30 second video (and usually if I'm following a link from these dead forams it will be completely unlabelled so I won't even know if it's worth watching the first 2 seconds) it completely justifies blocking everything as much as I can. Sorry content creators, take it up with your overlords! Also for a time earlier this year nearly every YouTube ad I saw was for a vile Jimmy Saville documentary that started with him saying something really creepy and disgusting and unskippable for the first few seconds, I eventually figured out how to block specific ads when not using a general ad blocker but jesus that was horrifying, can't imagine what it must be been like for victims of abuse.

That's unfortunate, but at least it's not deliberate. Conversely, there's an advert for Audible airing on Twitch which cheerfully suggests that a young black woman would love to holiday in Gilead. And they know it's bad, because they later released a shortened version that cuts out the Gilead bit, but the full length version still airs regularly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Internet advertising has poisoned the well with uranium from the beginning and never got any better.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Depends on the circumstances. Like lets say that moving nuclear missiles around the country gets outsourced to Serco, and one of them falls off of a van and crashes into your car. It doesn't blow up the surrounding countryside because it isn't armed, but it does a few grand of damage to the car and a few million of damage to the missile and physics package. Does that mean you aren't covered?

I mean if you live anywhere near a B52 base eventually you're gonna get a nuke just dropping in to say hi.

Knowing insurance companies though they'd use it to deny coverage if you accidentally drove into the Med and claiming the damage was caused by that nuke that the Yanks never found off the coast of Spain.

e: Now I think of it those Broken Arrows are almost certainly the reason it's not covered, because the Yanks threw money in all directions immediately to stop people talking too much about how they got the new rockery and fishpond and why the Koi have 3 eyes, so the insurers realise they don't need to cover it and so don't because that's the sort of thing that gets an underwriter somewhere a big bonus.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 22, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm just renewing my car insurance at the moment and had a read through what is excluded. There's a line in there specifically preventing me from claiming on any damages caused to my vehicle by a nuclear weapon. I think if that ever becomes an issue the last thing I'll be doing is putting through an insurance claim :psyduck:

You should take this up with them and ask whether if a nuclear weapon falls off the back of a lorry onto your car is that included in the exclusion, or do they just mean if one explodes or is dropped from a ICBM or whatever?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

YouTube premium is nice if you want to support YouTubers as they do get an increased payout from subscriber viewers.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The answer you all know is that if they have to pay out a lot for it, like a situation where lots of peoples cars got hit by a rolling icbm and if would be a public good and service to pay out. They won't.

The reason acts of God aren't covered isn't because of God... It's because it wouldn't be profitable to do so.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ghost Leviathan posted:

advertising has poisoned the well with uranium from the beginning and never got any better.

it's only a matter of time until those fuel pumps you see in american gas stations with touch screen interfaces and unskippable ads make their way here. also the dispensing speed is throttled so you have to spend longer standing there watching insurance ads on a small grimy screen

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I would say that a nuke falling off a truck should be fairly unlikely but then again we are talking about the country that spent a lot of effort making air launched nukes fail-deadly and also physically impossible to disarm after takeoff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tsietisin posted:

YouTube premium is nice if you want to support YouTubers as they do get an increased payout from subscriber viewers.

IIRC the cut they get is a lot lower than alternatives like Patreon so if you want to support a specific YouTuber it's worth checking what other options there are.

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite
For YouTube and YouTube Music on phones and tablets you can go to https://vancedapp.com and get their modified app that strips all adverts including sponsored bits and annoying reminders to like and subscribe, and gives most of the premium features like background play for music. It is free, and good.

Edited to fix link

TwoShanks fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 22, 2021

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Mr Phillby posted:

The auto pilot is your friend!

I'm still slowly going through the game myself, but my first few hours were spent hurtling upwards, choosing a planet, auto piloting close enough to crash land then exploring on foot.

Also lock on and hold the 'match velocity' button whenever you're careening around near something you want to land on. Also remember to put the suit on and look down before you use the exit hatch.

The auto pilot will sometimes decide to take you through the sun though so be careful of that.

Thanks!

I did get the chance to use auto pilot, but I'm not really sure what happened or where it took me.

Even my rubbish attempts yesterday were really fun though, so I'll definitely be playing some more :)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Vanced is great. Wasn't there supposed to be some big change to how Google served ads coming down the line that would break current adblock tech?

Couple US friends in tech have been mentioning it repeatedly.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Latest Starmer relaunch slogan is Win The Future.

WTF

No its not, shut up
This is too believable

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is still up
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1405280153949720579

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
terminal centrism

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Internet advertising has poisoned the well with uranium from the beginning and never got any better.

The thing I hate the most about youtube adverts is that they have fundamentally changed how information is relayed.

Like a few years back you could google something DIY related and it would have a bunch of videos about 3 minutes long showing you the process.

Now to pad every video out for maximum adverts they're all 20 minutes long with the actual information hidden at random points in the video.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Reminds me of when you look up a recipe and have to scroll through 3 miles of backstory and, for some reason, a colourful narrative of how to make the meal before you finally get to a succinct bullet pointed list

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Reminds me of when you look up a recipe and have to scroll through 3 miles of backstory and, for some reason, a colourful narrative of how to make the meal before you finally get to a succinct bullet pointed list

There's a meme about that, and you don't even get the list.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

stev posted:

IIRC the cut they get is a lot lower than alternatives like Patreon so if you want to support a specific YouTuber it's worth checking what other options there are.

My approach:

uBlock origin
Unhook Youtube extension that strips out all the clutter (comments, recommended etc) leaving just the video
Don't have a google account
Follow the accounts I like on an RSS feed
Bung creators a few bucks on Patreon
Only watch Youtube on my computer

Everybody wins, except Google. So, everybody wins!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

there was a short lived app that scraped recipes out of blog posts for you, bypassing all the embedded adverts and tedious life story paragraphs. but since we can't have nice things all the food bloggers complained about it until it was taken down

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An update a few weeks back broke it for me - uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin did the trick.

You've saved my sanity, I no longer have to yell that "hope that oval office Freddie goes bankrupt" at my computer

Mebh
May 10, 2010

kecske posted:

there was a short lived app that scraped recipes out of blog posts for you, bypassing all the embedded adverts and tedious life story paragraphs. but since we can't have nice things all the food bloggers complained about it until it was taken down

Extension for chrome still exists. Just called recipe filter.

Most (good) blogs have a jump to recipe icon so you don't have to spend 30 seconds breaking your thumb scrolling through the life story of how their friend discovered the purple potato just to see that the recipe has 6 ingredients you don't have or thinks "a jar of chilli sauce" or a can of Campbell cream of mushroom soup is an ingredient. (it can be, but gently caress me it's annoying to sift through American prepackaged sauces constantly to try to figure out if an equivalent or if you can make it from scratch)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

serious gaylord posted:

Like a few years back you could google something DIY related and it would have a bunch of videos about 3 minutes long showing you the process.

a decade or two ago you would have found some blog posts and forum posts instead

gently caress videos for the kind of info that would be a thousand times quicker and easier to just read

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Why would they ask us? We already pulled out years ago, not our bisnay any more.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Oh no...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He just found out the middle part is desert and immediately twitched to invade.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

jaete posted:

a decade or two ago you would have found some blog posts and forum posts instead

gently caress videos for the kind of info that would be a thousand times quicker and easier to just read

No there is value to actually having a video showing you how to dismantle/reassemble stuff

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also sometimes the things they take apart/put back together are :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUWOOFII144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jaete posted:

It's primarily for mobile users, especially people who can't / haven't jailbroken their phones or don't have the savvy to install things like that. As SA users ee sometimes forget how little knowhow the average person has about tech.

Marmaduke! posted:

Also for a time earlier this year nearly every YouTube ad I saw was for a vile Jimmy Saville documentary that started with him saying something really creepy and disgusting and unskippable for the first few seconds, I eventually figured out how to block specific ads when not using a general ad blocker jesus that was horrifying, can't imagine what it must be been like for victims of abuse.
A few years ago there was a cancer research ad that used to come on where a woman is getting ready for a wedding and says "I wish my mum was still here." It hit my mam like a truck a few months after her mum died of cancer, and since then I will always have an extreme hatred of any adverts like that which are trying to make a point to the average viewer and make no concessions toward people who might have genuinely find it upsetting.