Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Also, how does Glickenhaus manage to wear a cowboy hat over a pair of racing headphones?

I believe the phrase is "10 gallon hat on a 2 gallon head"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

How the gently caress is the Glickenhaus allowed to drive around with broken headlights?
Race director is asleep.

While it's still officially a wet race too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Powershift posted:

I believe the phrase is "10 gallon hat on a 2 gallon head"
Ah, yeah an oversized hat makes sense.
I would've also accepted "Very carefully" as an answer.

Dudley posted:

While it's still officially a wet race too.
Well, it looks like the switches to slick tires have started - this is part of the game within the game that I love about Le Mans in particular; the way that getting it right, and getting it right first can mean a massive difference, even over 24 hours.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think the Toyota is always going to play safe on that score, even with the JOTA homing in. They now know if the 7 doesn't have a mechanical it's probably the winner.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dudley posted:

I think the Toyota is always going to play safe on that score, even with the JOTA homing in. They now know if the 7 doesn't have a mechanical it's probably the winner.
Yeah, that's a pretty good bet, especially since #8 is so far back currently - although it'll likely make up a lot, if they aren't held back by technical or mechanical problems.

Also, I'm not in love with the programming where they switch between the different classes - why does there have to be a sound effect and a cut away from the video?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If I'm getting that I've not noticed but I'm on the "official" stream.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, that's a pretty good bet, especially since #8 is so far back currently - although it'll likely make up a lot, if they aren't held back by technical or mechanical problems.

Also, I'm not in love with the programming where they switch between the different classes - why does there have to be a sound effect and a cut away from the video?

the WEC brought this graphics package in from 2019 and I've gotten used to it but yeah, there's a couple annoying things.

a P2 car has set the fastest first segment as of now, gotta love changing conditions.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

harperdc posted:

a P2 car has set the fastest first segment as of now, gotta love changing conditions.
More rain coming in 15 minutes. :getin:

EDIT: This is not the best place to park:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh god I just actually noticed this for the first time and I hate it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

For fucks sake, Glikenhaus are basically ByKolles without the charm or competence.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Custard Undies posted:

God that looks good

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dudley posted:

Oh god I just actually noticed this for the first time and I hate it.
Happy to help :tipshat:

Dudley posted:

For fucks sake, Glikenhaus are basically ByKolles without the charm or competence.
I kinda like the look of their cars at least in the spotters guide - it's a nose is a bit less blunt and the rear wheel house looks better compared with the other LMP2s - but that's all personal perference, I realize.

EDIT: Also, the live timing seems better this year than previous years.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
FIA WEC booth still not letting Toyota forget 2016 hahaha

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

FIA WEC booth still not letting Toyota forget 2016 hahaha
For a race that's today known as a 24 hour sprint race, having the link between an intercooler and turbocharger fail with 6 minutes remaining, is a tad embarrassing.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/msportstats/status/1429099168753197065

EDIT2:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 21, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Double post but holy poo poo #52 and #64 were neck and neck down the strait between the michelin chicanes!

EDIT: The Danish car just got a penalty for not staying the penalty box for the alloted time.It was a drive-through penalty for not having the car on the track 3 minutes before the race started.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 21, 2021

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Glikenhaus heroically running 14th and 17th in a 5 car race.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dudley posted:

Glikenhaus heroically running 14th and 17th in a 5 car race.

glickenhaus: what if bykolles was a 2-car operation

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I love how this is looks like the car was photoshopped.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's actually freaky.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The sand did absolutely nothing to stop #98 going into the tire barrier, so I'm guessing Nicki Thiim won't be racing any longer. :denmark:

Now I'm just hoping to see Marcos Gomes standing outside the car. :ohdear:

EDIT: Standing up, even if in pain, is a lot better than the alternative, so that's something.

EDIT2:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 21, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aaaaall byyy myseelf, posting aaaaall by my seeeelf..

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I'm watching on and off. Weird having Le Mans in August

Lol he just drove straight into it

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Some clown car driving in LMP2 to do far. The India car just drove clean through the Richard Mille that was parked in the road

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Come on discord (link in the OP) to chat about the race!

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

We have a Discord, you know

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this is the most clownshoes le mans i can even remember

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is the most clownshoes le mans i can even remember
What did I miss in the last four hours? Had RLM in my headphones while I was out but couldn't keep that up the entire time.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Shumagorath posted:

What did I miss in the last four hours? Had RLM in my headphones while I was out but couldn't keep that up the entire time.

Just LMP2 crashing/spinning

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Ok, I'm back on deck after a few hours sleep 😁

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Number 7... oops

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress it I might watch this all the way through and just pray it's somehow as fun as 2016 LMP1 or 2017 GTE Pro

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Fog/mist descending out of nowhere. Might be more rain even though they just said no more rain expected haha.

Also one of the Toyota's reporting gearbox issues but still continuing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Fog/mist descending out of nowhere. Might be more rain even though they just said no more rain expected haha.

Also one of the Toyota's reporting gearbox issues but still continuing.

Sounds like the #8 is the one with gearbox problems.

would be good to see the #7 finally get a win, but yeah, the only drama in Hypercar is going to be if the Glickenhaus can catch the Alpine for third.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

One last check of the Cayman islands weather from rlm

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dudley posted:

On the other hand they (hours ago) completed more laps of Le Mans than ByKolles has over their entire history.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Come on Toyota I believe in you. The world needs your strength to prevent a Glickenhaus podium.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

net work error posted:

Come on Toyota I believe in you. The world needs your strength to prevent a Glickenhaus podium.
:emptyquote:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Porsche out of podium contention so they're going to force a full-course yellow for the last hour.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have to say it's not been the most engaging event. Toyota untroubled at the front, Alpine formality in third, LMP2 being nothing but a bunch of identical cars. Hopefully 2022 should have a better grid...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Rolex 24 spoiled us to start the year