Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Has the prediction vibe of past Nate Soothsayer analysis like here's 101 reasons why Trump won't win the GOP primary...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Forseti posted:

This is me (usually also caffeine) but my resting heart rate is still usually around 80. Sometimes it can be around 90 though. But my resting heart rate always stayed pretty high despite regular exercise before I got diagnosed as an adult and started adderall too. My doctor doesn't seem particularly concerned? I dunno, my heart rate also averages quite high during long exercise, like ~175 maintained basically indefinitely is comfortable.

The other day I ran on a stupidly hot and humid day and was miserable and managed to average 189bpm over 50 minutes. I can still max over 200 and I'm in my late 30s.

I think I'm a hummingbird of some sort. Either that or on my way to a heart attack during exercise or something. Maybe I just have a small bleak heart.

Edit: Also by resting I mean mid day sitting in a chair. I think technically it's the lowest low you hit during sleep, but at least measured shortly after waking for the day.

Uhh, your doctor isn't concerned about you doing this? I''m just a fitness hobbyist but that seems really high to be at for a whole workout. I was told that the rule of thumb for max safe heart rate was 220 minus your age so 180 for a 40yr old. And adding stimulants on top of that, ooph, i'm getting heart palpitations just thinking of that. This is the worst time to need emergency medical help.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i am harry posted:

get them the gently caress vaccinated

The media has agreed that vaccine shaming shouldn't apply to 1/10th of the population of the USA and then shrugs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Getting the 3rd shot is fun and it also Triggers Fauci "Waiting on the Science" Fans...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

College Rockout posted:

Uhh, your doctor isn't concerned about you doing this? I''m just a fitness hobbyist but that seems really high to be at for a whole workout. I was told that the rule of thumb for max safe heart rate was 220 minus your age so 180 for a 40yr old. And adding stimulants on top of that, ooph, i'm getting heart palpitations just thinking of that. This is the worst time to need emergency medical help.

If my resting heart rate gets above 70 it means I've been a piece of poo poo for at least a month not doing any exercise and drinking every weekend. It's normally in the low to mid 60s and goes down to the 50s when I'm working out regularly and watching my diet. I'm amazed at all the super high numbers people are posting just because of how different "normal" is for each individual.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

i am harry posted:

get them the gently caress vaccinated

That's good advice for an individual, but it's not really a solution to a broad problem like "hospitals can turn you away because they're mad at you now." Whenever American society develops a new situation where it's okay to kill people, it ends up killing a lot more people than it's theoretically supposed to on paper. Pointing the it's okay to kill these guys sign at half the country is a loving bad plan.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

College Rockout posted:

heart rate is fantastically variable and not really a good indicator of overall health on its own hth

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife is on an immosupressant for Crohn’s disease and just got her third shot because her job is hellbent on forcing her and everyone else back into the office after Labor Day full time. Gotta take the precautions you can take.

I’m glad your wife got a booster :unsmith:

did you get one too?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So glad I left that poo poo province.

And the correct answer is Vancouver is the Cayman islands of Canada. Just a money laundering hub, corrupt to its core, that happens to also be naturally beautiful.

Sound very accurate and a shame for such a beautiful place.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

a lot of the hardcore white supremacists in state governments in the south definitely noticed the higher excess mortality rates for poc and shaped their vaccine education and outreach accordingly (ie not at all, let them die)

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

tuyop posted:

heart rate is fantastically variable and not really a good indicator of overall health on its own hth

i'm aware of that, that's why i'm asking what his doctor thinks instead of telling him to stop hth

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do they gatekeep medical treatment as "fully vaccinated" with 2 doses of mRNA forever, or at some point do they say "it appears you're having a heart attack, but our records show you haven't received a booster - please leave or security will remove you"

Uptake on the booster is going to be low until people realize how bad things are

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

trump doesn’t exercise

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

is “not receiving treatment bc of vaccination status” actually a thing that is happening or is it just a fictional scenario ppl are yelling at each other about

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fireside Nut posted:

I’m glad your wife got a booster :unsmith:

did you get one too?

I haven’t bothered trying yet because I’m not immunocompromised and my employer pushed off return to office plans again. So I’ll wait for general availability. I don’t do poo poo in public except ride my bike in the woods or hit the grocery store once every two weeks anyway.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gio posted:

is “not receiving treatment bc of vaccination status” actually a thing that is happening or is it just a fictional scenario ppl are yelling at each other about

https://twitter.com/daniel_kraft/status/1428730317179736069

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1429418842179178502

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

College Rockout posted:

i'm aware of that, that's why i'm asking what his doctor thinks instead of telling him to stop hth

You died 10 minutes ago hth.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

“may have to consider” and for reasons that dont seem to include “to spite them”

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So I already got my third shot almost a month ago and I just got a reminder text that I'm supposed to come in for my "second" shot this Friday. I wonder if I should just go and get the 4th shot? It's not like things are going to get any better so might as well for for Turbo max titers

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

That's good advice for an individual, but it's not really a solution to a broad problem like "hospitals can turn you away because they're mad at you now." Whenever American society develops a new situation where it's okay to kill people, it ends up killing a lot more people than it's theoretically supposed to on paper. Pointing the it's okay to kill these guys sign at half the country is a loving bad plan.

agreed, I’m not defending that part of it just latching on to the point that many more poc are still unvaccinated

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Gio posted:

It thankfully doesn’t appear to be happening, but it’s the current blue maga meme that hospital staff should be stopping unvaccinated people at the door and sending them home to die so that they can save beds for the good boys and girls who got their vaccines and then safely got covid at brunch like the CDC said to

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I haven’t bothered trying yet because I’m not immunocompromised and my employer pushed off return to office plans again. So I’ll wait for general availability. I don’t do poo poo in public except ride my bike in the woods or hit the grocery store once every two weeks anyway.

yeah sounds like a good plan. we do similar work and I’ve been lucky enough to be WFH since last March. but out of nowhere they are now pushing for a return to the office in September (lmao) - and my kiddo starts school in a few weeks so I took the plunge. I wanted to wait a little longer for a booster but i also don’t want to gently caress around and find out given my changing circumstances lol

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

People who have kids and love them don’t want to gamble even if the “risk is small”. Also, the risk is small because many people have isolated their kids and kept them safe so as not to expose them. My kids have seen two other families with kids in 2 years and played with some neighborhood kids at the playground that we know. They’re are also very happy and not OCD like I am about cleaning and sanitizing. Even after the poo poo year and a half we’ve been through.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

third moderna is the strongest yet. stretching feels soooooo loving good. My apartment is too drat cold

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gio posted:

“may have to consider” and for reasons that dont seem to include “to spite them”

If the result is to further racially segregate treatment it doesn't really matter if the motivation is spite.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

crepeface posted:

i got a caught a bad cold 3 days after my 2nd vaccination shot, i wonder if that had any effect

lmao

is this 'bad cold' stuff a real thing or is it just covid? I have a family member trying to visit another family member in a nursing home. The visitor has 'been dealing with a cold for a couple days' featuring runny nose, a little sneezing and coughing last night. 'Probably a vapers cough.' 100% this morning but now they have a sinus headache.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

College Rockout posted:

I mean I try not to do that part, that was a stupid one... but I can definitely be stubborn and refuse to quit once I've committed. I also sprained my ankle pretty good once trail running because I had already driven to the trail and gently caress it if it's muddy and slick, I'm here damnit!

I do wait until 4 hours after taking the meds though to exercise (which is about when they wear off). I did ask about it combining them with exercise early on though and the doc said it shouldn't really be a problem. The problem with running on the hot and humid day is that I just shouldn't have done it at all I think.

Edit: Oh and the max is just that, like a full on HIT type max where you want to vomit. That is not like a typical max for every session, and I don't really do HIT these days.

Forseti fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 22, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gio posted:

Iirc Italy and other places prioritized treatment for young people and let the old die since they couldn't be saved, this is the same concept

Was idly thinking about why my cousin in law got such bad covid. Late 40s, good shape, but not an endurance runner or anything so no immune suppression. His kid catches covid from classmate, dad catches from him, they both test positive and leave the house to isolate. Neither have symptoms at all

Then they spend 6 hours driving to a cabin. Day or two later cousin is insanely sick, drives back, is even worse and ER visits happen. My theory is he got a bunch more virus by hotboxing it with his kid and didn't realize it would add to what was currently in his system and it overwhelmed his antibodies.
I've never heard of anyone ever suggesting getting a second viral load while you're fighting the first infection, but wouldn't this be possible and explain a lot

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Real Mean Queen posted:

It thankfully doesn’t appear to be happening, but it’s the current blue maga meme that hospital staff should be stopping unvaccinated people at the door and sending them home to die so that they can save beds for the good boys and girls who got their vaccines and then safely got covid at brunch like the CDC said to

yeah i know, but i still can’t say that i have much sympathy for people who are unvaccinated at this point. or blue MAGA. kind of a “let them fight” scenario.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

If the result is to further racially segregate treatment it doesn't really matter if the motivation is spite.

well fortunately then its just a made up scenario people are ginning themselves up to be mad about

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gio posted:

well fortunately then its just a made up scenario people are ginning themselves up to be mad about

Nothing about triaging care or bias against POC seems very hypothetical to me.

Edit: I mean this is something that seems likely to happen in a week or two, it's not like we're taking about giving whites preference for Cyber Arms.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

College Rockout posted:

Doc does know about the typical 175bpm avg feeling comfortable for me (that was also where I'd end up before starting on Adderall). He says he usually has a higher than rule of thumb heart rate during exercise too and that it's not really a big deal.

175 is like zone 4 for me I'd say based on the highly scientific "can still talk in short bursts, but not conversationally" metric.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is your suggestion that people should be treated based on a paper bag test instead of on their likelihood of survival.
Yes I know the same paper bag test means racist doctors will say darker people aren't gonna make it . which is a good example of why seeing if someone is vaccinated and making that a hard line would help obviate the problem

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

The New Yorker: Have You Already Had a Breakthrough COVID Infection?

Dhruv Khullar posted:

In one sense, defining a breakthrough infection is straightforward: you have one if you test positive two or more weeks after completing all recommended doses of a COVID vaccine. But, in another sense, the meaning of the term is unclear. A highly sensitive P.C.R. test has detected some of the virus’s genetic code inside your nose. So what?

“Your body doesn’t produce infinite amounts of antibodies,” Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization who studies the push and pull between hosts and pathogens, told me. “Your lymph nodes are not, like, the horn of plenty.” It’s possible to be exposed to more virus than the antibodies in your nose can handle. Still, Rasmussen said, “When you’ve been immunized and get an ‘infection’ ”—she raised her hands in scare quotes—“or, I should say, when you test positive by P.C.R.—that doesn’t mean there’s a robust viral infection raging in your body. Even if some cells do get infected, other parts of the immune system spring into action and stop it from spreading.” She went on, “Is that an infection That’s a philosophical question. Technically, some cells got infected and the virus started to replicate. But the immune system prevented you from getting sick and shedding copious amounts of virus that can go on to infect someone else.”

Rasmussen thinks that, when it comes to asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic cases, the term “breakthrough infection” is somewhat misleading. “It doesn’t describe how vaccines work very well,” she said. In such cases, the vaccines have actually succeeded, and there’s no meaningful sense in which the virus has broken through. Instead of using the breakthrough metaphor, Rasmussen suggests imagining an encounter between two armies. “The immune system has multiple specialized units that can be deployed strategically and dynamically,” she said. “The virus has some tricks up its sleeve, but, compared to the human immune system, it doesn’t have as much at its disposal. It’s like ‘Lord of the Rings’ or ‘Troy’: one army usually kicks the other’s rear end. If you’re vaccinated, your immune system is ready, it’s better equipped, and it usually kicks the virus’s rear end.”

The real issue with breakthrough infections is the ontological characteristics of viruses which modern medicine ignores. Heres a hypothetical to prove my point:

The level of consent manufacturing that’s gearing up is beyond what I’d imagine but then again I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

quote:

It’s like ‘Lord of the Rings’ or ‘Troy’: one army usually kicks the other’s rear end. If you’re vaccinated, your immune system is ready, it’s better equipped, and it usually kicks the virus’s rear end.

literally the only battle i remember from lord of the rings is the one where the more ready and better equipped army is winning bigly then gets beat by a last minute reversal

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Plank Walker posted:

literally the only battle i remember from lord of the rings is the one where the more ready and better equipped army is winning bigly then gets beat by a last minute reversal

you're going to have to be more specific because that is every battle in lotr

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
"it's like lord of the rings in here" i say as i slip into brunch, alerting every coronavirus in the area to my exact location

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Is your suggestion that people should be treated based on a paper bag test instead of on their likelihood of survival.
Yes I know the same paper bag test means racist doctors will say darker people aren't gonna make it . which is a good example of why seeing if someone is vaccinated and making that a hard line would help obviate the problem

You basically remade the point I made so I'll just add that "let unvaccinated people die" is not some bright line that we can draw.

I'm not the OP, I'm just saying we need to be vigilant about the issue and not get too excited about neglecting unvaccinated people. Many people are unvaccinated due to systemic issues created deliberately by the same folks who put themselves first in line for vaccines, after all.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The New Yorker: You're not really sick if your immune system responds, what is the definition of life anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

yeah Delta is way more like Helm's Deep: there's just way too goddamn many of them. Gandalf the White Cell comes to save the day