Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deveritas
Oct 31, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a way to turn minecraft into factorio?

There's a 1.12 modpack, yes: Manufactio. I haven't had the chance to try it out, so I don't know how well it scratches that itch as opposed to just copying the ascetics and gameplay systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

It's not a Minecraft mod, but I really enjoyed Satisfactory. Working with logistics in 3D just feels so good. I'm not sure it'll have the same replayability of factorio, though. There's no real threat or time pressure.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Boba Pearl posted:

Create is a start.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Immersive Engineering is a mod that adds power poles and cables, conveyor belts / splitters, and a variety of multiblock machines that can be fed from them. It looks like that's primarily what Manufactio is using for its basic logistics; it's a good starting point for a Factorio-like experience, although I doubt it has the increasingly complex recipes you probably want for a lasting progression unless you set up a modpack around it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCI9EF-GCII

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

GetDunked posted:

Immersive Engineering is a mod that adds power poles and cables, conveyor belts / splitters, and a variety of multiblock machines that can be fed from them. It looks like that's primarily what Manufactio is using for its basic logistics; it's a good starting point for a Factorio-like experience, although I doubt it has the increasingly complex recipes you probably want for a lasting progression unless you set up a modpack around it.

It is a good basic introduction power/multiblock mod but it caps out pretty low in complexity. Even with Immersive petro, it is pretty simple. Only being at the brink of HV in omnifactory, immersive is hella simple compared. Maybe replacing LV with immersive and splicing immersive petro with GT but no enderio for piping? I just can't imagine the lag having to use conveyors for everything would cause.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I haven't touched minecraft mods in years, my favorite mod thing to do was building oil rigs and filling up transparent tanks full of oil and then processing it etc. Are there any newer mods that focus on stuff like that, or is it better to just go back to classic tekkit or whatever?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dracky posted:

I haven't touched minecraft mods in years, my favorite mod thing to do was building oil rigs and filling up transparent tanks full of oil and then processing it etc. Are there any newer mods that focus on stuff like that, or is it better to just go back to classic tekkit or whatever?

There are kind of an overwhelming number of mods that do this. Many newer mod packs have tutorial quest books included. Here is one I had fun with:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/sevtech-ages

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Sevtech is really cool but absolutely does not have any kind d of tutorial or quest book. Everything is directed through the advancement system. While most mods do have their own instruction books you will still probably need to wiki a bunch of stuff, especially the Better with Mods stuff.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
IIRC the first few ages were decently thorough on what you needed to do but it still expected the player to know the mods and to know about things outside the advancement system.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Sevtech is really cool but absolutely does not have any kind d of tutorial or quest book. Everything is directed through the advancement system. While most mods do have their own instruction books you will still probably need to wiki a bunch of stuff, especially the Better with Mods stuff.

and is a grind.. oh god.. Sevtech was a grind.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
What's the best method for altering oregen these days? I want to increase iron and redstone ore spawns but kubejs just seems to have functions to add and remove ores not tweak existing ones. This is a 1.16.5 pack.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Oregen altering has always been 'remove old rules, add new rules.'

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I started playing a pack called Levitated yesterday. It has an interesting premise in that it's exploration and quest-based but plays in reverse: You start in the End, work to the Nether, and then eventually escape to an overworld that basically doesn't exist any longer because it has collapsed. There's traces of story and lore thus far, and it's certainly interesting to have to start in the End islands with custom recipes for basic crafting stations. I haven't gotten very far but it looks like it starts with some basic tinker's stuff and immediately moves into Botania as your first source of progression. It uses advancements instead of a quest book, which is okay I suppose, but it's taking some getting used to.

It seems promising but I'm barely scratching the surface of it so far. I'll give it some more time and see what it's like.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i decided to retry omnifactory since i had the hitch for some modded MC again. i still have no idea what im doing, but im playing on the dev branch they are updating daily in prep for 1.3 and theyve made some nicer changes to the early game. they removed forestry and workbenches from that and put in their own. similiar setup but they can also pull from any connected chest, so if you toss 4 or 6 around a large chest, they can all pull from ore and other poo poo dumped in it which helps with the micro crafting you do a lot of in the early game.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

queeb posted:

i decided to retry omnifactory since i had the hitch for some modded MC again. i still have no idea what im doing, but im playing on the dev branch they are updating daily in prep for 1.3 and theyve made some nicer changes to the early game. they removed forestry and workbenches from that and put in their own. similiar setup but they can also pull from any connected chest, so if you toss 4 or 6 around a large chest, they can all pull from ore and other poo poo dumped in it which helps with the micro crafting you do a lot of in the early game.

That sounds fantastic and tempting but I mustn't start over now. right? right....

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Oh man, I loaded omnifactory for the first time in MultiMC, and it seems to run so much smoother than GTNH. Those new features sound great, too. I never want to run the curse client again. I like the curse website as a repository for all kinds of versions of mods, though. Looking forward to those new changes, too. Omnifactory feels like such a polished experience. I love the world full of ruined skyscrapers, too. I can just modify one and build there.

I only ever made the first tier of microminer. It feels like I made a lot of progress, but it also feels like I've barely scratched the surface. I only finished a couple quests in the "Late Game" tab.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 22, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Omnifactory is great just because it can be done on peaceful which makes it a chill experience.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://github.com/OmnifactoryDevs/OmnifactoryGuides/blob/latest/guides/PlayingOnDev.md

yeah just grab the nightly from there, thats what i did and its going swimmingly.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah I took a peek at their github and it looks like ominfactory's got a lot planned for the 1.3 release. The new developer seems really responsive and is taking it in a good direction. Not sure if I want to jump in now or wait for the official release, but I'm definitely going to give it another go at some point. That "crafting table but auto-pulls from all nearby chests" sounds like an amazing early-game quality of life.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Hell, it sounds like a great late game quality of life thing too

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
This reminded me to update to the newest nightly and it broke the texture pack somehow :shepicide:

E: It was just a problem with the version of foamfix they were using.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 22, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Wut, is there an omnifactory texture pack?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

There are some texture packs listed under #omnicompendium on the official discord. I'd be interested to hear which ones people like.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

queeb posted:

Wut, is there an omnifactory texture pack?

I just use Sphax and this addon for it: Here (Scroll down). It's very cartoony and not for everyone.

It's for the stable version but still has most of the textures for dev branch.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wish Omnifactory had a way to scale up certain machines. All the GT stuff is fine, but then you have stuff like the digital mob simulators. For as many ender pearls (and base metals) you'll need, people can be running dozens, even hundreds of those sim chambers, and they're not efficient or easy to transport from. Some sort of centralized machine or even multiblock that upscales output with a central process would be really nice.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I wish Omnifactory had a way to scale up certain machines. All the GT stuff is fine, but then you have stuff like the digital mob simulators. For as many ender pearls (and base metals) you'll need, people can be running dozens, even hundreds of those sim chambers, and they're not efficient or easy to transport from. Some sort of centralized machine or even multiblock that upscales output with a central process would be really nice.

I'm surprised they didn't crib the Large Processing Array from GTNH. It lets you run up to 64 single block machines inside of it with shared inputs and outputs, as long as you give it the same amount of power as all the machines combined. It's a very elegant way to scale up processing, while being much more friendly about lag as well.

There's also gigantic versions of the blast furnace, vacuum freezer, and distillation tower that take up an entire chunk in the XZ plane, for running 64 operations at once.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think it's that the simulation chambers aren't GT machines, so they don't have that option. It's not like you can take them to EV or IV levels.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
What is the best way to do RF power layout in Omnifactory? I've been dropping Num dynamos next to CEFs as I build stuff but I wonder if not better to centralize it with a large ender capacitor being fed by all the dynamos and it just snaking conduits out to where ever my CEFs are.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I have enderio power and me running in trunks underneath each floor (around the outskirts of each section), then have poo poo near the the trunks to tap into the network.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I definitely find the easiest route is to have one central EnderIO output wired out to difference CEFs around the base as needed. Usually one per cluster of tiered machines.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I've been mixing approaches. I have one main RF power bus running around most places hooking up to local CEFs for small clusters of lower-drain machines, but I also have separate circuits with their own dedicated dynamos for particular high-drain subsystems, like the DML simulators, the floor of blast furnaces, and the tungstate processing section.

I need to do some rethinking though now that I have easy access to endsteel and lumium conduits, so a single EV machine isn't going to hog the entire RF bus anymore.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm kind of afraid to ultimately put all my eggs in the basket of a central capacitor bank due to the huge power drains and any closed-loop systems I might have involved, but if I can make it a lower priority then sure. I've already put one little guy in and am already dealing with the differences in power supply ability of the bank to the conduits charging in and out of it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

huh apparently making an entire set of cobalt armor in Omnifactory gives you a permanent haste 3 enchant while wearing it, which makes your mining speed like turbo fast

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I just got Signalum online in my Omnifactory and I feel like I really accomplished something. Things are getting crazier, but with automation and full DML production meaning infinite basic and mid-tier resources, it’s all very manageable.

About power distribution, I went for a huge central bank of vibrant capacitors, and one thing I don’t understand is how RF cables work with them. If I use a single line of end steel conduits to pull 32k rf/t from one face of the bank, some of my high-draw areas will not get enough power, but if I draw from two faces of the bank and then merge into the same cable, suddenly I have more than enough power on that line. I don’t understand this at all. Supposedly the entire bank can put out 150k rf. I thought that was per face, but apparently not? But I have multiple levels of my base all drawing off this one mega-bank and nobody is power-starved yet. One level is running IV blast furnaces and another is running cryo-air distillation. This is all fairly confusing but so far I’m managing. Does anyone know a tool that can tell me current power draw in a conduit?

I must say also, this pack is the most fun I’ve ever had with Minecraft and I’ve been playing it for a LONG time. It rides the line perfectly between too grindy and forcing you to optimize and plan a bit. I can’t recommend it enough if you like the idea of a long haul high-effort : high-reward kind of experience.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A big part of why Omnifactory works, in my opinion, is it completely skips over steam power. It took this modpack for me to realize that steam was the worst part of Gregtech, and by a wide margin at that.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Where do you guys go looking for servers that aren't poo?

PGS is pretty thin on the ground at the moment in as much as I get the MC itch once a year and I actually want to play something beyond 1.12.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sex Robot posted:

Where do you guys go looking for servers that aren't poo?

PGS is pretty thin on the ground at the moment in as much as I get the MC itch once a year and I actually want to play something beyond 1.12.

Come hang out on the goons.cx Discord (https://discord.gg/goonscx) - we have a couple servers going at any one time, though one is down for maintenance at the moment.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god that early jump in omnifactory from loving around with files and hammers and losing half your bars to getting the early lathe/compressor/wire mill up and doubling your output is so nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

What sort of server hosting is recommended for a server with <10 users, with a modpack of some sort installed? We're considering setting something up to play as a family (four of us) but I'd like a bit of extra headroom in case the kid's friends want to join in sometimes. The cost differences mostly seem to be related to the amount of RAM provided.