Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Actually this is a good time to let everyone know that I may be going radio silent for a few days, since I’m directly in the path the hurricane hitting MA on Sunday and Monday, and don’t know what could happen to the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Black August posted:

Actually this is a good time to let everyone know that I may be going radio silent for a few days, since I’m directly in the path the hurricane hitting MA on Sunday and Monday, and don’t know what could happen to the power.

It'd be kind of funny if you somehow managed to post in the middle of a hurricane, so that's rather understandable.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Well. That could have gone better.

Stay safe Black August.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
We *really* need to stop loving around, taking risks, and get back to the hideout asap. Kwait's survival is on a timer.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I mean yeah, but that's also ultimately up to Black August as the DM. We don't quite know how long each choice will take, and which choice makes us finish the trek to the Megalith quicker.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I'm not actually sure what choices we can be making at this point to speed that up, given what we're being presented with. We probably shouldn't have hosed with Deimos this time, but... Deimos.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Considering our low level, how hard this has all been, and Kwiat, I would actually say that right now I think it might be a good plan to give up on the trek and go back home.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
maybe it would have been wise to use the grinding mechanic... at all tbh

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Let they who has turned back when warned of Bill the Troll cast the first vote. Who among us is without an Archeologist who died of digging for victory?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, we didn't trip down a set of stairs while wielding a cockatrice, so it's not the dumbest death.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I'm hoping that because Momma Logon's zone is conflicted between multiple types (like the Plutos) we will be able find another Back End shortcut. Maybe that'll let us get to Kwiat and deliver food and roomba.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Radio Free Walrus posted:

I'm hoping that because Momma Logon's zone is conflicted between multiple types (like the Plutos) we will be able find another Back End shortcut. Maybe that'll let us get to Kwiat and deliver food and roomba.

Wait, can we devise a way to turn the roomba into chicken power armor or a chicken robot suit?

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Randalor posted:

Wait, can we devise a way to turn the roomba into chicken power armor or a chicken robot suit?

While the roomba can be a chariot for our feathered friend as per the Book, I suspect powered chicken armor will turn out to be gated behind playing a Chicken Knight.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Alright. Storm done, birthday over, errands finished. It's time to walk again.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Black August posted:

Alright. Storm done, birthday over, errands finished. It's time to walk again.

Congrats on the birthday and making it though the storm!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hodgepodge posted:

maybe it would have been wise to use the grinding mechanic... at all tbh
We were told straight-up that grinding tends to be a disaster bc it's a game of attrition, though.

Happy birthday, Black August!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

They drag you inside - hands hands hundredfold, rock-soft claws with hecatoncheir force throwing you, catching you, cradling you, carrying you, one stony finger over your mouth to silent the scream of your mental meltdown.

Then they retreat with pebble-clatter avalanche, draping you over cool wet floor. You lie there thrashing, animal breathing, the civilkill of gun and sword forgotten in exchange for the only defense you have left. You smash the floor, rip plants and moss from the cracks, blindly fling yourself to and fro, manic panic dance while your muscles rip-tense, heart screaming with fear of rupture. You throw your overcoat off, flinging it at shadows, sopping with sweat. The fit goes on and on and on...

[-4 HP]
[-3 FP]

HP: [ 16 / 21 ]
FP: [ 6 / 15 ]

...but nothing hurts you but yourself, as the minutes wear you down.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

You can't tell how long it's been in the dysphoria of your dissociation. You lie kneeling in a clear puddle in the stone floor, hands limp at your sides, hunchbacked and gulping in air with painful irregular breaths. The sweat won't stop pouring off you in sickly rain. Your heart hurts from pounding so fast. Slowly, stinging eyes fade out from halflight, returning the darksight. You look around.

The structure is strange, but sound. A brutalist maze, rife with perfect-angle holes bleeding light, crawling with swamp flora. Water seeps in from all around, from cracks in the stone or down little waterfalls in the wall, dribbling from overhead, pooling up from depressions underneath. It's quiet, even after the pain of outside's aural abuse fades out. You continue your slow hyperventilation, sniffling as tears come unbidden. You feel gross. You feel stupid. Your feel weak.

You want to go

She Spoke For The Stone posted:

"Home? Fireswamp found road... then, as thought, this was not foretold."

The troll towers over the Wanderers, hunched inside of her temple dark. Her chamber is littered with the hundred tokens of her ritual craft, each piece a conversation with something Way Down, hung from electrical cords and bound vines among a cascade of perfumed shower curtains. Her six arms spread open, and she snaps her stone fingers to create sparks - dozens of candles catch them and come alight. The Logon Rock Witch is old, draped with canopy tarp sewn together to cover her frame. All over she wears gems and a great number of shaped stones, hung from every limb and ear and neck. Two arms pick up a recurve guitar. Two arms clasp to force their fingers into the guiding shape. Two arms touch the ground, to push her giant bulk to standing. When the light passes over her face and through her novelty sunglasses, the four could see it- she was blind.

"Yes, small-walking-tall. I saw it. I saw it hence. I saw the Sun come down lay down, burn out the ordained paths, stealing my eyes in blessing. No future shapes. Only wilds, deep dark, lands unfound. All who saw forward now see only inward."

They speak, and Momma Logon tells them. Of when the cults came to these lands, led by the Dryad. Came and made pilgrimage. Came and spoke prophet. Came and rose Megalith. Came and brought the illblood, the ashfire, the waterdrown, the gemshine.

back, run weeping into the forest night. But you know you won't allow it. Too close now. Conquest is at hand! Sabotaged only by your own worthlessness. When you look back up, the hands have returned. Wrapped over every exit, claws dug in deep. Your heart speeds a little faster as you go perfectly still, and try to spy a way out. But then the stone speaks. The hands, gently slapping, slowly raking, firmly shaking. Vibration that jars your bones with the reverb of thought.

(Poor thing. Small thing. Tired thing. So small forced to walk too tall.)

You raise your soaking head to the last beam of palelight, filter green through a veil of ferns. The vibrations are so soothing. They force a gasp out of you, a release of horror. More tears come, but the reverb breaks them apart to tiny droplets.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

(Lonely thing. Worried thing. Frightened thing. No foundation left to mend, only corpsefruit to harvest.)

The hands begin to move; undulating over the stone, tracing through the water, shaking through the leaves. The mass of the structure turns into a jungle of shadows, fingers making symbols as they block the light.

(Angry thing. Killing thing. Wounded thing. Are you out for evening walk? Are you gone - gone to Megalith?)

Your head droops down, forehead rested to the cooling stone. You nod once, reverb softening self-hating muscle. The longstone hands pull together to form pattern, fists beating against each other in drum. A dozen dare in close and swipe at the air, cooling you with the currents created.

(Stand, stand. Walk tall. Fireswamp tells me dead dreaming, demanding the violence of healing. Walk to Blood. Walk to Megalith. You who are the Hidden Road - look, to Heaven!)

When the hands grasp you again, you don't resist. Your body shakes with its protest, but no strength is left. Your arms and legs carefully held. Your belly and back carefully braced. Your face; one finger lifts chin, to see into the pattern above. A shape made by leaflight and handsleight.

Your eyes widen, as something tickles painful the Silver lines of your neurons. The shape of the world around you folds out from the shadowshape, bewitched sight of all that hides in the humid night. The land, the land! Land land land alive! Lorded and fierce with divinity unchallenged! Oh those red miles. How would you ever have fought it all? Where is the TIME? How, how do you conquer- no. Stone hands fold and raise fingers to hush. You curl up on the floor and look as the hands shake the ceiling, sending reverb rainfall down on the dancing plants and silent stone.

(Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... tired thing. Hear the stone sing. I am the killing shape, the fallen form, the corrupt chaos. But the witchdom of my thoughts prevail! I hear them, Fireswamp and Ferra, flame and iron, speaking truth to my mishappen stone. I hear her inside the Once Upon A Time, Emperor of Hell, Queen of All Witches; those who are the anticipation of your Hidden Road! For the War to be won - BRING DOWN THE SUN.)

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%]

The riddles loosen your jaw and skull, neck cracking loud as the reverb kisses it into the relax. Your face scars with tears one more time before you sit up, understanding what the thrum of the rock is saying. The hands are guiding you, showing you a hidden way to the Megalith. A way past the redsick and sopping rainforest. A tunnel dangerous black, but arrowshot to the unhallow superstructure where Bleeder lies.

You're standing, eyes raised high. You hold the killing stone, striated protodark. Why? These hands are meant to bring End. They're lost to the deformity, the radiance, the sickness red. But they touch with gentle, they move with witchwords. They guide you. They show.

Every hand-pair clasps in old-prayer.

(There in the empty vein, bypass black, a theater unwilling unliving. Its exit, door to suburb, way to MEGALITH. Strike with unseen speed.)

They open... no closed fists. Hands, reaching to an empty Heaven.

Showing you Hidden Road.

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

Mama Logon seems trustworthy imho

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Alternate poll since strawpoll is being strawpoll again.

https://linkto.run/p/T504XDV4

EDIT: ok it mangled the title but w/e it works

Black August fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 25, 2021

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Well I was expecting far worse than that. Seems like Paproc's corruption didn't overpower Momma Logon... Or at least not yet, we are not out of the woods though.

I was going to say I'm curious about the unliving mountain, the Nuclear run log had an interesting entry regarding that, maybe the place is connected to the Back somehow. I voted to explore the Windmarch a bit further, the way I see it Kwiat is either doing fine or she's long gone by now.

Not that it matters, looks like we're going directly after Bleeder. Avoiding the suburbs seems like the right call, especially with the Congregation being hostile.

Grond fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 5, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what's our plan for dealing with Bleeder anyways? Throw the oil-stained shield to his feet and hope he accepts our token of friendship?

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I'm really torn between going to Megalith and going back out into the Wetlands because I feel like trying to take on Bleeder while we don't even know what our plan for him is is a bad idea and we really need to feed Kwiat and that's the closest option to 'go back home and feed the chicken'...but also plot.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Lonesome Roads

Walk the road Momma Logon shows. Strike through the Unliving Theater backway. - 21
Refuse the walk. Take on the Rainforest Concordance direct. Cleave to Megalith. - 3
Ignore the walk. Go out into the revealed wetlands dark, to explore its secrets. - 2

...LOADING

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
well, now i'm sure we're going to end up meeting the genius level pyromaniac who is literally high on fumes sooner or later :getin:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm against heading to the Megalith at this point, we need to get back to base and collect Kwait. I'm hoping this secret route maybe helps with that?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think we're locked in to "Megalith or Bust" right now, so I voted for the quickest route. If we want to check on our chicken, we have to deal with Bleeder.

Edit: Wait, am I mistaken, or does the "Nuclear Option" playthrough mean that thr Farmer one-run had actually reached the post-Lords content? If the Farmer playthrough got the furthest, and the Nuclear one-run dealt with everyone but Dancer, does that mean there ARE "pacifist" ways to deal with the Lords? I'm guessing they would be something along the lines of:

Dancer: Reach Paradise without killing any of the Backup
Burner: ...Maybe requires Dancer's "pacifist" ending, or something with the 7 Petals?
Bleeder: Requires all of the other Lords to be alive, and something something? We have the shield that he idolized, maybe that'll help
Moulder: Considering that it was the Farmer, perhaps brining life back to the island (IE:crops in the case of the Farmer?)
Hunter: Considering she's also a Tyrant and barely holding on, maybe requires all other Lords to be alive and friendly, persuade her to get some rest while you cover her vigil?

As for the other two... I unno, we know barely anything about them.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 25, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
i mean, you could probably just leave Hider alone. but we're going to need more than raw stats to oppose Smercia in any meaningful manner. we'll need allies.

i don't think her plan, literally slicing open heaven to get to her daughter, can be allowed to happen. also i'm pretty sure that Kwait literally (but also figuratively!) turned herself into a chicken to get away from her. mostly a hunch.

e: at this point we should probably consciously decide to really commit to not killing any Backup, before that suddenly becomes a pressing matter.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 25, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think the thread is firmly in the "Don't kill backup (unless absolutely necessary)" camp.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Randalor posted:

Edit: Wait, am I mistaken, or does the "Nuclear Option" playthrough mean that thr Farmer one-run had actually reached the post-Lords content? If the Farmer playthrough got the furthest, and the Nuclear one-run dealt with everyone but Dancer, does that mean there ARE "pacifist" ways to deal with the Lords? I'm guessing they would be something along the lines of:

Dancer: Reach Paradise without killing any of the Backup
Burner: ...Maybe requires Dancer's "pacifist" ending, or something with the 7 Petals?
Bleeder: Requires all of the other Lords to be alive, and something something? We have the shield that he idolized, maybe that'll help
Moulder: Considering that it was the Farmer, perhaps brining life back to the island (IE:crops in the case of the Farmer?)
Hunter: Considering she's also a Tyrant and barely holding on, maybe requires all other Lords to be alive and friendly, persuade her to get some rest while you cover her vigil?

As for the other two... I unno, we know barely anything about them.

Did we have any confirmation that the Farmer was pacifist?

Doubler is very confusing, but I think that whatever the answer is dealing with the 'everdrowning' issue will be a pretty big part of it. And I'm not sure that Bleeder idolizes the shield-it says he prays to 'what it made possible'. One of the many reasons I'm kind of against going to Megalith is that Bleeder didn't seem particularly inclined to be friendly earlier and we don't have any strategies about what to do if we don't kill him.

Also, interesting note: Momma Logon only lists four corruptions, which obviously correspond to Dancer/Bleeder/Burner/Hider. I suppose Moulder and Doubler might count as corruptions in and of themselves, but still interesting to consider.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wasn't the Farmer run that got the furthest referred to as a gimmicky run that was inherently unwinnable? The only ways I could see that being is if it was either A:a pacifist run, B: a low-level run, or C: something dumb like "Pick up everything and play as a trader using Farmer's carry bonus".

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
I'm not sure we strictly need to avoid killing even a single Lord. We should be alert to possible alternatives to killing even Bleeder, though, I guess. I mean he's a creepy vampire, but I think that might be ultimately a metaphor for a dude who cuts himself and is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We MIGHT have to kill the Big 3 (wasn't Hunter described as the only sane one of the 3 strongest Lords, and even then that was tenuous? Constantly on watch in the Dreamlands would do that to someone though), but I'm hoping we can avoid killing the 4 lesser Lords. Burner and Dancer are good people, and I've come around from wanting to kill Bleeder. Hider is off doing their own thing, so... I unno about them?

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Randalor posted:

Wasn't the Farmer run that got the furthest referred to as a gimmicky run that was inherently unwinnable? The only ways I could see that being is if it was either A:a pacifist run, B: a low-level run, or C: something dumb like "Pick up everything and play as a trader using Farmer's carry bonus".
Pick up Beast of Burden and other traits that up your strength/ability to carry, get up to S-Rank strength naturally, proceed to pick up and dump the Megaliths into the ocean.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Honestly? We've got this far by sheer dumb luck rather than anything approaching a plan. Let's stroll into the megalith and have a nice chat with the dracula, it'll probably work out.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

For all those people wanting to come back to Kwiat, I think you're misunderstanding something.

The options presented was either to go straight to Bleeder via tunnel, go to Bleeder overland, or say gently caress it and just explore the swamp. There's nothing saying anything about going home, and when we chose to go to the megalith, it seemed like we were locked in that choice.

If that's true, then the quickest way to get back to Kwiat IS to deal with Bleeder ASAP. So it's probably a good thing we decided on that!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Here it is. Another blue note to write down. Plain as day, this wasn't a glitch. Well, it was, but it wasn't 'false' content. It was a never-before seen scene. Plain as day is Momma Logon, in her fully fallen superboss state. But instead of a struggle and deathfight, a cutscene began.]

[There's a lot of choices to make once it ends. Thing is, part of Bleeder's popularity as first Lord slain was his proximity to Momma Logon. Her state depended a lot on time passed multiplied by the Momma Fireswamp resolution. Going near the door provoked the start of what seemed like the deathfight event, where she pulls you in with her endless arms. But she was acting like a variant script on her most pure form, in which the save of Momma Fireswamp in the immediate allows Momma Logon to bless the character with several boons.]

[It's taking a while to load in the choice sets as the RNG works. It's a good time to think of the strategy for the Bloody Megalith, and the slay of Bleeder. Low Level runs were valid, after all. The Blue Book reminds of the hidden mechanics associated with them.]

The Blue Book posted:

"...benefits for having a low Level. There's a much higher base chance for the rare stat+1 events, which can add up. Random encounters and spawns vacillate between a much wider range. The powerful items of the inverted loot table has a chance of happening until Level 10. There's the chance to unlock Daredevil, and the quiet might of Arts who are more powerful the lower your Level and the stronger the foe. Unused Levels can be spent, often on Demon Deals. There's also the significant advantage of cultivating the Underestimated debuff on powerful foes which will..."

[Bleeder. He's unpredictable, easy to manipulate but he just as easily shakes it off, prone to bursts of strength that can add a little extra oomph or enough juice to tear a truck in two. As a onerunner once put it, 'vampire poo poo is wild'.]

[The Unliving Theater will be- oh. The blessings are ready; seven tainted gifts. That's a good haul, and essentially confirms that this IS an intentional event, despite being triggered by paradox. The first boons address all misalignments of power, restoring desperately-needed function. Six unavoidable measures of radiance is more than affordable at this stage, especially with the boons they come with. It's just a matter of overcoming Megalith, and then rushing back to Hideout before the starvation grace period runs out...]

[HP/FP Maxed!]

[The Dark achieves gravitational pull again.]
[Tyrannical powers restored to full.]
[C͝or͞rupte͟d...]
[The Silver Mind shines infinite in reflection once more.]
[Psychic powers restored to full.]
[C͝o̴rr͘u̸pte̛d..͏.̷]
[Mushrooms spore with all the blacklight of Plutonic colour.]
[Fungus on functional standby.]
[C҉o͠rr͞up̕t̨e̸d..͠.]

[Momma Logon gifts an art of war.]
[Cor͘r̴u̡pt̴e̷d̛..͟.͡]
[Momma Logon casts an enchantment.]
[C̨o̴r͢r̷ųptȩd͜...]
[Momma Logon reveals your hidden potential.]
[C̛or҉r͟up̀te̡d҉.̕..]

[The witchmight of Momma Logon reacts with the Solar Veil, and reveals one of Red's arts!]

[̶CO҉R͘͝R̴U̢̕͡P̡Ţ̢̡I̸O͠N ̧̀R͡I̕͠S͏͠K̷̢̕]́

(Will 19 - 7 Measures of Radiance) 13 - [5]+[2]+[5] = 12 - Just Made It.

[Your body, mind, and soul don't deform... for now.]

[Polls will be re-done if not working properly. Voting ends tomorrow afternoon, followed by the fist venture into the Lorded Land.]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I really could use a "Is Strawpoll loving up" website, I swear.

Alternate Polls
War Gift
Equipment Gift
Attribute Gift
Red Gift

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
No particular opinion on the war and red gifts. but boosting the black blade seems sensible with how often we use it. And WL makes sense as it's the highest and so hardest to boost via level ups.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Definitely agreed on raising WL, we seem to be hitting a lot of WL tests with very heavy penalties and it looks like we’ll hit more now that we’re this corrupted. Agreed on the blade as well - upgrading the shield would look a lot better if we could equip more than one relic, but we currently can’t. For war, looks like Timed Hit is a sword art (maybe PE-based?) which goes well with our build, while Psijishot and Execution 6 are gun arts that don’t, and FURIOUS is going to lean a bit too heavily into the Tyrant. For Red’s art, Gasflame Brand looks like a sword art and we’re already well-served there. Spitting Light looks like a ranged attack, and we’ve got our psychic powers to cover that. Blastwave looks like AoE, which we’re currently lacking, and Molten Veins could be fire immunity, which we’ll need eventually. I think Blastwave covers the more pressing need, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Care Package For Megalith

An Art of War.
Timed Hit! - 9
Psijishot - 5
Execution 6 - 1
FURIOUS - 8

A witchcrafted blessing.
Give the Black Blade a Brand. - 13
Give the Revolver a Brand. - 2
Give the Old Suit a Brand. - 4
Give the Oilstained Shield a Brand. - 3

Hidden potential drawn out.
Wind-soaked green. [+1 DX] - 0
Water-smooth blue. [+1 IQ] - 9
Night-crowned black. [+1 WL] - 14
Light-bound white. [+1 PE] - 1

One of Red's secrets revealed!
Blastwave - 2
Splitting Light - 5
Gasflame Brand - 2
Molten Veins - 13

[Sheet Updated]
[WL has increased by 1 to 20. WL Limit Broken.]
['Timed Hit!' Sword Tech & 'Molten Veins' Transformation added]
[The Black Blade has been permanently branded with...]
[(Momma's Brand) - [1]+[4]+[2] = 7 - 'Quickling']
[3: Penetrating; 4: Meteor; 5: Destroying; 6: Vorpal; 7: Quickling; 8: Impacting; 9: Dancing; 10: Elemental; 11: Guarding; 12: Blasting; 13: Enraged; 14: Blood; 15: Lifeless; 16: Murderous; 17: Cursed; 18: Radiant]

LOADNG...

...LOADING