Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Arquinsiel posted:

Based on phrasing it appears that they don't. There are no "vestigial organs" it seems, so with spores being a thing it's logical to assume that they are Ken dolls.

thank you kindly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Big Willy Style posted:

thank you kindly

It is confirmed they have arseholes though- there’s a lot of reference to squish lurking in ‘the drops’ or privies in the books, so we can assume they poo poo something like people do.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
well yeah, how could they make mocking monuments out of poo poo without making GBS threads? farm humans for it?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Arquinsiel posted:

Based on phrasing it appears that they don't. There are no "vestigial organs" it seems, so with spores being a thing it's logical to assume that they are Ken dolls.

I hate that I know this, but Orks at least have something down there that allows them to urinate in an arc. In Ragnar’s Claw some Space Wolves are sneaking up on an Ork encampment, and one of the Orks comes over to the bush the Wolves are hiding behind and pisses on the Wolf without realizing it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Orkz can piss and poo poo without dicks and asses. It Just Works.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Orkz have whatever would be funniest at any given moment

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

da brainboyz, in dere wiz-dom, gave da boyz da stuff dey needed, cuz what good's choppin' da headz off beakiez if'n youz can't take a right proppa piss in da empty helmet?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Alfabusa guy posted a patreon update but I really don’t get his thought process. Trying to pick up a new franchise to do content on like this is like onlyfans deciding to ban nudity. I don’t think there’s gonna be a lot of overlap with their existing fan base no matter what they pick.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm halfway through the first Gotrek and Felix book and it's such a fun romp. It's definitely just "and then they went to _____ and had to fight _____ because _____" but the characters are so charming and lovable that I'm not getting tired of it yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PantsOptional posted:

I hate that I know this, but Orks at least have something down there that allows them to urinate in an arc. In Ragnar’s Claw some Space Wolves are sneaking up on an Ork encampment, and one of the Orks comes over to the bush the Wolves are hiding behind and pisses on the Wolf without realizing it.
There's an old joke about Orks all having male junk for the purposes of writing their names in the snow and getting kicked in said junk.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I'm halfway through the first Gotrek and Felix book and it's such a fun romp. It's definitely just "and then they went to _____ and had to fight _____ because Gotrek thought it might kill him" but the characters are so charming and lovable that I'm not getting tired of it yet.
FTFY.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

The Alfabusa guy posted a patreon update but I really don’t get his thought process. Trying to pick up a new franchise to do content on like this is like onlyfans deciding to ban nudity. I don’t think there’s gonna be a lot of overlap with their existing fan base no matter what they pick.

I lost all respect for him when his response was " I simply can't take on the risk of legal fees...but I'll put out 2 more videos and leave all my content up and monatized."

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

D-Pad posted:

I lost all respect for him when his response was " I simply can't take on the risk of legal fees...but I'll put out 2 more videos and leave all my content up and monatized."

It's because his intent would be, if told to take everything down, to take it down. Those two videos were already in production. It's a position that makes perfect sense and is entirely reasonable.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Why would you lose respect for him for that?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Lotta people can out duel Lucious, at least post Heresy, and have done so. He's just a weird little baby and has a gimmick where he just possess them if they feel any sense of accomplishment/pride in defeating him.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Lotta people can out duel Lucious, at least post Heresy, and have done so. He's just a weird little baby and has a gimmick where he just possess them if they feel any sense of accomplishment/pride in defeating him.

even that has been basically removed, there's a short story where he gets blown up by a land mine and possesses the random factory worker who made the mine. it's narrative contrivance at this point; the story feels like it was written as an explicit "gently caress you" at the interminable thousand page HOW TO KILL LUCIUS threads that any warhammer lore forum accumulates over time

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

even that has been basically removed, there's a short story where he gets blown up by a land mine and possesses the random factory worker who made the mine.

That’s hilarious.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I don't know the source, but supposedly Lucius said that he once tried to drown himself and Slaanesh resurrected him anyway.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

That’s hilarious.

The reasoning was that the worker felt pride in making the mine.

I do wonder what will happen if Lucius gets offed by a basic necron construct

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

boredsatellite posted:

Why would you lose respect for him for that?

He made that big long whiny video going on and on about how GW was unfair and he couldn't under any circumstances incur any legal fees because of a new house and baby etc. Which is perfectly reasonable. Except leaving all your content monetized and putting out new content reduces your risk of incurring legal fees by exactly 0%. In fact, he increased his risk because any half-baked lawyer could make that video exhibit A showing that he knew what he was doing was wrong and could get him in legal trouble and did it anyway.

Beyond that, it's clear that his content is satire and while I understand he can't afford to prove that in a court of law (again if he didn't want that as a possibility he should have removed everything and stopped making money off of it), if GW was going to go after him they would have sent him a C&D when they sent one to literally every other fan made content person.

TL:DR his statement was whiny and his actions are in opposition to his stated reasons. So he's either stupid or being disinginious.

Also I'm in a lot of 40k FB groups and the reaction in general to GW making this move was as bad and as toxic as anything else that happens in this hobby so I'm probably biased. I wish they hadn't done it but they have every right to do so and they did not have to extend job offers to all these people and go about it the way they did. It was a lot better than the way I've seen other companies crack down on infringement in the past.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

NihilCredo posted:

I don't know the source, but supposedly Lucius said that he once tried to drown himself and Slaanesh resurrected him anyway.

Lucius trying to eternally off himself because his life sucks or whatever would be 100% better.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lucius isn't quite the best, he's just very good.

He knows this, and Slaanesh thinks this is hilarious.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Also I'm in a lot of 40k FB groups and the reaction in general to GW making this move was as bad and as toxic as anything else that happens in this hobby so I'm probably biased. I wish they hadn't done it but they have every right to do so and they did not have to extend job offers to all these people and go about it the way they did. It was a lot better than the way I've seen other companies crack down on infringement in the past.

Dude are you seriously on the side of GW here and going "well it is well within their rights to shut fan work down" and "they are better than Disney/Square Enix/Nintendo". Shutting down these works on YouTube was a moronic move, esepcially as it was revitalizing parts of the base and was attracting new ones.

And of course the dude is going to stop production of new videos and post the ones that are finished. He just doesnt think its worth the risk to produce new ones. It seems like a reasonable position.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think GW telling their newly-hired creators to shut down their fan work was stupid and short-sighted, but it's my understanding that they haven't actually "cease and desisted" anyone other than the people they hired, and anyone else who has taken their stuff down (like Emperor's Text To Speech) chose to do so on their own, not because GW came knocking.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the concept of soft power. The threat of something happening doesn't even need to be implicit. Just knowing that GW could do something if they chose to is enough to influence decision making.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arc Hammer posted:

It's the concept of soft power. The threat of something happening doesn't even need to be implicit. Just knowing that GW could do something if they chose to is enough to influence decision making.
Well sure, but the greater community freaking the gently caress out and saying "GW is shutting down all the fans!!" isn't exactly accurate, is it? It's a little more nuanced than that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

D-Pad posted:

He made that big long whiny video going on and on about how GW was unfair and he couldn't under any circumstances incur any legal fees because of a new house and baby etc. Which is perfectly reasonable. Except leaving all your content monetized and putting out new content reduces your risk of incurring legal fees by exactly 0%. In fact, he increased his risk because any half-baked lawyer could make that video exhibit A showing that he knew what he was doing was wrong and could get him in legal trouble and did it anyway.

Beyond that, it's clear that his content is satire and while I understand he can't afford to prove that in a court of law (again if he didn't want that as a possibility he should have removed everything and stopped making money off of it), if GW was going to go after him they would have sent him a C&D when they sent one to literally every other fan made content person.

TL:DR his statement was whiny and his actions are in opposition to his stated reasons. So he's either stupid or being disinginious.

I'm pretty sure you just do not understand the situation at all. His reasoning was that he was stopping making Warhammer content because he could not rely on that as an income stream, and to fight a takedown would incur legal fees. If their stuff was going to be taken down by GW, they would just lie down and take it.

YouTube's content claim DMCA takedown poo poo is terrible, mostly automated and very much skewed in favour of content management agencies - not necessarily the content owners themselves. GW (or a company appointed to do so by GW, or literally just a loving bot) might one day just do that without any formal communication via a C&D. Either it gets taken down completely or ad revenue just gets shifted to GW.

Removing it from his channel would have the same effect as it being taken down. He is at no risk of being sued for prior earnings. That does not happen on YouTube. He is at no greater risk keeping his backlog up.

His entire position is: He is changing his content to no longer base his revenue on a niche that has been exposed to greater risk. He is not going to fight tooth and nail for his content - a thing nobody else does. He still uploaded what was in progress but isn't making any new content.

The tone of his video was perhaps over dramatic, but you also have to consider that this has been years of his life and the optics are pretty awful for GW right now, even if the reality is really not that bad.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
This is always the risk you take when making content involving other peoples IP, especially when money is involved.

Ultimately (with a couple of exceptions) GW gets to decide what happens to their IP.

People should be mad with google over their least effort and lovely way they moderate their platform that makes legitimate use of IP (trademarks and copyright) a minefield and not GW.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm pretty sure you just do not understand the situation at all. His reasoning was that he was stopping making Warhammer content because he could not rely on that as an income stream, and to fight a takedown would incur legal fees. If their stuff was going to be taken down by GW, they would just lie down and take it.

YouTube's content claim DMCA takedown poo poo is terrible, mostly automated and very much skewed in favour of content management agencies - not necessarily the content owners themselves. GW (or a company appointed to do so by GW, or literally just a loving bot) might one day just do that without any formal communication via a C&D. Either it gets taken down completely or ad revenue just gets shifted to GW.

Removing it from his channel would have the same effect as it being taken down. He is at no risk of being sued for prior earnings. That does not happen on YouTube. He is at no greater risk keeping his backlog up.

His entire position is: He is changing his content to no longer base his revenue on a niche that has been exposed to greater risk. He is not going to fight tooth and nail for his content - a thing nobody else does. He still uploaded what was in progress but isn't making any new content.

The tone of his video was perhaps over dramatic, but you also have to consider that this has been years of his life and the optics are pretty awful for GW right now, even if the reality is really not that bad.

He could have just released the last 2 videos and went on to do other things rather than throwing a "I'm being cancelledoppressed" hissy fit.

Or, or, given that he's not planning to contest GW anyway, why not ask them for a license?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Back to actual Warhammer stories

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/21/24-hours-only-watch-a-free-episode-of-hammer-and-bolter/

The first ep of Hammer and Bolter is streaming today and it's actually a lot of fun! It's the story of Yarrick and Ghazghkull, both of whom I love dearly.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Imagine striving for perfection for centuries and you get jobbered by dudes far less experienced and probably a lot more gifted in combat prowess. Then your patron God makes you come back to get clowned on again and again.

wiegieman posted:

Lucius isn't quite the best, he's just very good.

He knows this, and Slaanesh thinks this is hilarious.

I imagine someone not being able to accept their own shortcomings, never getting any better as the centuries roll on, getting stunted on only to be brought back again in the body of the person who did the stunt on him... constantly having to put on a facade that wrenches and boils his soul must be so delicious to Slaanesh.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

He could have just released the last 2 videos and went on to do other things rather than throwing a "I'm being cancelledoppressed" hissy fit.

Or, or, given that he's not planning to contest GW anyway, why not ask them for a license?

Again, his livelihood, years of his work, plus if he just went to do other things then his viewers would get mad at him instead. Asking for a license is also just not a thing you do - drawing attention from the big company in an official capacity is how you get them to act. They usually don't act well. I also doubt he was looking to (and frankly, was compatible with) be signed up with the official Warhammer animation streaming shenanigans, partially due to the overwhelming hate creators have been getting due to joining it and also because they wanted to retain personal control over their project.

They were totally overdramatic in their presentation, but their actions were really quite reasonable if you know anything about YouTube content creation.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They were totally overdramatic in their presentation, but their actions were really quite reasonable if you know anything about YouTube content creation.

I mean, play with fire, be prepared to get burnt? I have no issue with content creators, pirates and recasters but it's implicit that if you operate in that grey zone you're always running a risk. The latter 2 groups simply quietly disperse and reconvene when the lawyers appertaining but content creators do not appear to have realised this trick. It's also not even a case of injustice with GW muscling in on someone's original IP, their entire premise is based on using GW's stuff.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/21/24-hours-only-watch-a-free-episode-of-hammer-and-bolter/

The first ep of Hammer and Bolter is streaming today and it's actually a lot of fun! It's the story of Yarrick and Ghazghkull, both of whom I love dearly.

I found it pretty passable as a whole. Animation was kinda basic, and the voice acting was serviceable.
At least they managed to nail down the Orkz pretty well. Had a chuckle at the maps.
But probably wouldn't really subscribe to WH+ just for a chance to see more Hammer and Bolter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I love the use of the 2nd ed era banners.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've got one audible credit to burn before I cancel my sub. Any recommendations for must have audiobooks? I've listened to all the Abnett ones already.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Infinite and the Divine

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Helsreach?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Z the IVth posted:

I've got one audible credit to burn before I cancel my sub. Any recommendations for must have audiobooks? I've listened to all the Abnett ones already.

Lords of Silence!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Helsreach?

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I'm just rereading Sabbat Martyr and I'm getting chills. It's incredible how, so many years and so many rereads later, the climactic segment between the attack in the balneary and the death of Innokenti still hits this hard.