Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Big Beef City posted:

Matt those benches at Lambeau get uncomfortable people need to stand up at certain times

He’s foreshadowing that the offense can’t handle crowd noise after a year of empty stands. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hand Row posted:

Is the Bears defense good?

When I look at the Bears roster all I see is the impact of trading all the picks in the past starting to catch up. You have no margin of error and boy the Quinn signing, relying on Tevin this year etc look like freaking errors. I mean you have to do the Fields trade every time, but this won’t be a patch in FA situation. Going to freaking waste the end of Hicks and Mack’s prime and I assume Robinson fucks off next year.

This year? Yes, unless opposing offences learn that Trevaithan is still on the field.
Last year: Yes, but they couldn't make any turnovers so they'd just be gassed every game after 3 quarters of the offense doing nothing for 45 minutes.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Hand Row posted:

Is the Bears defense good?

The Bears defense managed to hold Mitchell Trubisky to just 71% completion and 220 yards in a half. I'd say they are elite level.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Are the Bears running a new scheme on defense, I don't know anything about the new guy

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The Bears secondary seems like it's kind of a mess. Just lost their best corner, have to hope that Eddie Jackson remembers how to play football.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I still feel very comfortable knowing that if Josh Allen gets injured and Trubisky becomes the starter, people will quickly realize he sucks against non-basement teams.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Boy the optimism about this Bears season was short-lived.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

ryan pace constructed a football roster which looks fine on paper unless a single player gets hurt

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh it's preseason on a defense with a ton of vets. When Roquan wasn't playing. And minimal if any like scheming.

I'll worry when something like that happens in the regular season.

Mitch hit a ton of easy short passes and then the defense proceeded to not want to tackle anyone.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Big Beef City posted:

Matt those benches at Lambeau get uncomfortable people need to stand up at certain times

I tried my best to yell at the dipshits doing the wave and starting the go pack go chant on offense but I’m only one man :negative:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pops Mgee posted:

I tried my best to yell at the dipshits doing the wave and starting the go pack go chant on offense but I’m only one man :negative:

It's a preseason game in a half empty stadium, who cares?

This while thing is bizarre, I don't even know why Lafleur would address it.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

PneumonicBook posted:

It's a preseason game in a half empty stadium, who cares?

This while thing is bizarre, I don't even know why Lafleur would address it.

Because it happens all the time in the regular season. And at Brewers and Bucks games. Dipshit Wisconsin sports fans LOVE the wave and it’s annoying. The only place where the wave is acceptable is at Camp Randall because they do it once and then it’s done.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

lol at being a hall monitor at a preseason football game

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Lafluer reminding all you packers fans what NFL really stands for. Be sure to keep an eye out for those new protocols on when you should or should not cheer. What an asshat.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Diggity! posted:

The Bears secondary seems like it's kind of a mess. Just lost their best corner, have to hope that Eddie Jackson remembers how to play football.

I figure he's gonna be below league average since he can't ballhawk anymore and is just asked to play coverage. Bring back amos and fuller

Wait who the hell is even playing those two positions now? Haha is gone right

"Kindle vildot" at cb and Taj Gibson at safety
Good God

Also the offensive line...yikes. Why the hell is Jenkins not listed as a starter? It's also weird both whitehair and Daniels were drafted to play center but aren't doing so

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 22, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ZombieCrew posted:

Lafluer reminding all you packers fans what NFL really stands for. Be sure to keep an eye out for those new protocols on when you should or should not cheer. What an asshat.

Doesn’t everyone have “shhh offense at work” or similar Jumbotron graphics for home games?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

mastershakeman posted:

I figure he's gonna be below league average since he can't ballhawk anymore and is just asked to play coverage. Bring back amos and fuller

Wait who the hell is even playing those two positions now? Haha is gone right

"Kindle vildot" at cb and Taj Gibson at safety
Good God

Also the offensive line...yikes. Why the hell is Jenkins not listed as a starter? It's also weird both whitehair and Daniels were drafted to play center but aren't doing so

Jenkins went in for back surgery didn’t he? He’s out for a while.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone have a clip of when McDermott had to call timeout due to the noise from the Blue Angels? Especially the part where he's talking to the ref and pointing at the sky.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lambeau literally has the "Ba da da dun, da DA DA DA..." lead in bass line for the 'Go Pack Go' chant queued up and THE STADIUM PLAYS IT TO QUEUE THE CHANT, so the coach bitching about it just looks loving stupid. The times the crowd itself builds to it, it's usually a section or so and it's just "one of those things" that happens during a game and it's quickly drowned out because, well, that's what it was. Otherwise the entire stadium's loudspeaker system leads the drat thing. Unless LaFleur is saying "The stadium audio crew itself is loving up, here"...what exactly is the issue?

Doing the wave during an offensive possession, who gives a poo poo? Yes. I know. 'The Wave' in general is WAY too uncool for any goon sports fans, we all know that. What is the actual perceived issue with when it's being done? The QB can't do a hard-count because people are standing up and sitting down? I've never been at a sporting event where the wave was being done where it happening was causing any real perceptible noise problem above "normal cheering".

This whole thing just looks dumb.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Jenkins went in for back surgery didn’t he? He’s out for a while.

Yeah, Jenkins had a nagging back injury from college that had prevented him from participating in training camp, and then he went down and needed surgery, though Nagy insisted that it was due to a new, different injury than his college one. There's no timeline for Jenkins' return and it's sounding like he could be out for the entire season. Ifedi is on the PUP list, too. The Bears' offensive line is a goddamn mess at the moment.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Fire LaFleur.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

Doesn’t everyone have “shhh offense at work” or similar Jumbotron graphics for home games?

Im a bears fan. Even if they have one, which i kinda doubt, it hasnt made a difference in my lifetime.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's always a more fun drinkin' season in Chicagoland when they're starting 6-3, but it's less of a downer when the fans know the team sucks week 2.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

mastershakeman posted:

Are the Bears running a new scheme on defense, I don't know anything about the new guy

The Bears new DC is a guy who's been on the team for almost a decade as a Quality Control coach, then DB's and Safeties coach. He's considered a Vic Fangio tree guy and people seem to think that schematically the defense will get a lot better under him. In the Pats/Rams superbowl Bill B was running a lot of plays out of the Fangio Bears playbook from when we held that team to 6 points and we know how that worked out for them.

Fangio liked to play a lot of man in the backfield and blitzed even less than Vic, who also rarely blitzed. I don't think it played very well to the strengths of the roster and hopefully a change will help. I also remember hearing anecdotally that Pagano's defensive schemes were more basic and a lot easier to diagnose by opponents. Vic liked to disguise zone looks a lot, I don't watch film but I trust the people that do who are willing to talk critically about why the Bears D looked so much worse.

We get Goldman back which will help immensely in the run game (which was a big problem last season because we kept trying to sit with a light box and just got shredded up the middle) and hopefully a schematic change will do stuff like letting Eddie ballhawk in a zone more and have to cover less.

2018 was always going to an outlier good year because of turnovers but talent wise I think we can still at least be a Top 10 defense if you just let dudes do what they're best at

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GNU Order posted:

The Bears new DC is a guy who's been on the team for almost a decade as a Quality Control coach, then DB's and Safeties coach. He's considered a Vic Fangio tree guy and people seem to think that schematically the defense will get a lot better under him. In the Pats/Rams superbowl Bill B was running a lot of plays out of the Fangio Bears playbook from when we held that team to 6 points and we know how that worked out for them.

Fangio liked to play a lot of man in the backfield and blitzed even less than Vic, who also rarely blitzed. I don't think it played very well to the strengths of the roster and hopefully a change will help. I also remember hearing anecdotally that Pagano's defensive schemes were more basic and a lot easier to diagnose by opponents. Vic liked to disguise zone looks a lot, I don't watch film but I trust the people that do who are willing to talk critically about why the Bears D looked so much worse.

We get Goldman back which will help immensely in the run game (which was a big problem last season because we kept trying to sit with a light box and just got shredded up the middle) and hopefully a schematic change will do stuff like letting Eddie ballhawk in a zone more and have to cover less.

2018 was always going to an outlier good year because of turnovers but talent wise I think we can still at least be a Top 10 defense if you just let dudes do what they're best at

The Bears also have Mike Pettine as a "senior defensive assistant," though. God only knows how much input he's going to have over what Desai is calling on defense.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Timby posted:

The Bears also have Mike Pettine as a "senior defensive assistant," though. God only knows how much input he's going to have over what Desai is calling on defense.

Doesn't seem like very much. They asked Eddy Jackson in an interview how much Mike Pettine's been affecting things and he answered "Who?" So yeah, the defensive players aren't seeing him around, which means he's not on the sidelines on game day either. Sounds to me like he's just helping Desai behind the scenes designing plays and what not.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Timby posted:

They did a similar thing with Nagy in his first season, they brought on Brad Childress as an "offensive consultant" and he didn't have input in the playcalling but was probably just there to help a first time guy figure out how to be a head coach. I don't hate it in concept

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Even during the Pagano down years the Bears D was consistently keeping the O in the game, I’m not too worried about them even if I am mad that they gave all of Kyle Fuller’s money to Robert Quinn and tried to make him play OLB.

But, as is usually the case, I’m looking forward to seeing how the offense will disappoint me this year

Also w/r/t Quinn there was this

https://twitter.com/jasonlieser/status/1428031984568344576?s=21

https://twitter.com/jasonlieser/status/1428032386697150468?s=21

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Big Beef City posted:

Lambeau literally has the "Ba da da dun, da DA DA DA..." lead in bass line for the 'Go Pack Go' chant queued up and THE STADIUM PLAYS IT TO QUEUE THE CHANT, so the coach bitching about it just looks loving stupid. The times the crowd itself builds to it, it's usually a section or so and it's just "one of those things" that happens during a game and it's quickly drowned out because, well, that's what it was. Otherwise the entire stadium's loudspeaker system leads the drat thing. Unless LaFleur is saying "The stadium audio crew itself is loving up, here"...what exactly is the issue?

Doing the wave during an offensive possession, who gives a poo poo? Yes. I know. 'The Wave' in general is WAY too uncool for any goon sports fans, we all know that. What is the actual perceived issue with when it's being done? The QB can't do a hard-count because people are standing up and sitting down? I've never been at a sporting event where the wave was being done where it happening was causing any real perceptible noise problem above "normal cheering".

This whole thing just looks dumb.

The go pack go chants he’s complaining about were started by people in the crowd and got pretty loud. I could hear them from a couple sections away. All the go pack go’s played by the stadium were when we were on defense.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

People shouldn't cheer for the Packers.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'd like to register a complaint about crowd noise during the fourth quarter of a preseason game.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Parallelwoody posted:

People shouldn't cheer for the Packers.

:wrong:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Their own coach says so.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Menards car won a NASCAR race today.

https://twitter.com/Team_Penske/status/1429566774123630599

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hopefully I can wake up tomorrow and see that the Lions released Jahlani Tavai into the maw of a wormhole.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pops Mgee posted:

Because it happens all the time in the regular season. And at Brewers and Bucks games. Dipshit Wisconsin sports fans LOVE the wave and it’s annoying. The only place where the wave is acceptable is at Camp Randall because they do it once and then it’s done.

The wave is literally acceptable anywhere it can be done lol. A bloo bloo please only cheer the correct way a bloo bloo. I've got tickets to 4 home games this year and I will make it my mission to get a wave started because some people dislike it for whatever bizarre reason. Also I will start CM Punk chants while Aaron looks at hard camera.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Timby posted:

Yeah, Jenkins had a nagging back injury from college that had prevented him from participating in training camp, and then he went down and needed surgery, though Nagy insisted that it was due to a new, different injury than his college one. There's no timeline for Jenkins' return and it's sounding like he could be out for the entire season. Ifedi is on the PUP list, too. The Bears' offensive line is a goddamn mess at the moment.

Guess that explains why Jenkins fell to us. gently caress he's gonna be the new Colombo

And yeah the Quinn signing was a disaster, just like many others

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

SirPablo posted:

I'd like to register a complaint about crowd noise during the fourth quarter of a preseason game.

The preseason is for preparation in all facets of the game.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

If Tavai is still on the team following cutdown this Thursday, the Lions are real bad about talent evaluating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pops Mgee posted:

The go pack go chants he’s complaining about were started by people in the crowd and got pretty loud. I could hear them from a couple sections away.

oh no