Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does this count as doing a thing to my car today? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ok, that is good.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Please tell me where to get one, tia!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Please tell me where to get one, tia!

https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/Snake-She-Needs-Premium-Dude-by-allenhoang/45573311.EJUG5

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea that's what I thought too but this is what it looks like

That magnet doesn't spin, that's why I'm hoping it's that and not black death.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've never torn into a compressor that didn't have a fixed electromagnet.

With that said, I've also never seen the clutch / magnet fail in a way that locks up a "healthy" compressor.

Well, my understanding of AC compressor clutches was incorrect, or incorrectly recalled.
Never mind!

Late Fees posted:

We got all new rear brakes -- cylinders, shoes, springs, adjusters, and even drums -- and 4 new monotube shocks this weekend. drives like a dream now if you ignore the worn steering gear. love this truck, wish the AC worked and also wasn't an R12 system

Convert to air dusters (R152a aka 1,1-Difluoroethane). If the system is actually good, it should work better than R-12.
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=964688
I ran it in my '90 RX-7, and will be running it in my '79. I also used it in my '87 Toyota Corolla, but I have a leak somewhere, so it only works for a week or two. Given that I have dye in the system, and don't see any of it, I'm betting it's in the evaporator box.

Wasabi the J posted:

OMFG Ceramic tint is loving blessed.

Cannot feel the Vegas sun and on black leather seats, I'll take every advantage I can.

I hope I'm not an rear end in a top hat for getting a 70% (coke bottle green?) on my windshield; there hasn't been a noticeable effect on my night vision, and has made a huge difference in cooling the inside off, (theoretically) saving gas.

Any new tint I get will be ceramic. I put cheap (Gila brand, from Walmart) ceramic tint on my '70 Cutlass, and the difference was amazing, even if only on the side windows.

opengl128 posted:

Yup, that was exactly what I found when I opened the hood. Pretty cool huh?

They forgot to put it back after bringing it in to show how dirty it was and sell a replacement for 6x the price. Probably forgot to bring it in, too.

Raluek posted:

got some new shoes today, and they were installed correctly on the wheel

new (used) wheels too

and not a moment too soon

Nice. I almost went with that look on my Cutlass. Still might. Not like it's hard to change.

quote:

i also discovered that the car is magic
https://i.imgur.com/YuAJ9o6.gifv
or the PO wiring fuckery is worse than i thought

Imaging paying $$ for an MSD, then not actually hooking it up.

Sab669 posted:

Does this count as doing a thing to my car today? :thunk:

OK, I need to stick one of those in the Outback's fuel door ('03 3.0 - really does need 93)

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Just bought two, thanks!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Imaging paying $$ for an MSD, then not actually hooking it up.

it WAS hooked up. i had unplugged it to get some slack in the "harness" (:barf:) between the msd box and coil so i could get it out of the way of the valve cover that i had off. forgot to plug it back in, fired up the engine, and had a moment of "wait a minute..."

so i guess it was hooked up, but not correctly. i wonder if it even works (once i wire it in right)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have seen MSD boxes on cars that are running HEI. I mean it could have just been left there from a previous ignition system.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

It's magic running on 100% ork energy. Investigate at your own risk.

New shoes look fine as hell. Correct team.

The Ominissiah blesses us.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

it WAS hooked up. i had unplugged it to get some slack in the "harness" (:barf:) between the msd box and coil so i could get it out of the way of the valve cover that i had off. forgot to plug it back in, fired up the engine, and had a moment of "wait a minute..."

so i guess it was hooked up, but not correctly. i wonder if it even works (once i wire it in right)

Sorry, by "hooked up", I meant *correctly*.
Here's hoping the box actually works. MSD's boxes seem kind of fragile. Like no reverse-/over-voltage/input protection at all. To the point that I think I'd rather use a Crane or Holley ignition box.

BigPaddy posted:

I have seen MSD boxes on cars that are running HEI. I mean it could have just been left there from a previous ignition system.

It's not particularly necessary in that application, but theoretically it can be *better*., due to the multiple-spark aspect. Not as dramatic as when applying it to points cars, but it can improve cars that already have electronic ignition. Not least of which because you can also add rev-limiting, 2-step, and fiddle with timing on the more advanced models.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Darchangel posted:

Well, my understanding of AC compressor clutches was incorrect, or incorrectly recalled.
Never mind!

No worries man, I thought the same until I saw this one, first time I've seen that.

So it wasn't just the clutch, went to swap the evap tube and found lots of metal chunks and splinters. Weird there was nothing in the compressor or lines and no black stuff. Sucks but I made sure to check that parts stores had all the other stuff in stock before I swapped the compressor and drier which was a huge mistake trusting their delivery times. I even gave extra time and that wasn't enough. I want to go on a huge rant about that but I'm just worn down to a nub with it and it doesn't matter anyway.

I got the new hoses/manifold that bolt to the compressor this morning so it'll be new everything except the evaporator which I'll have to flush and hope I get everything. I have an appointment tomorrow morning so nothing like waiting til the last moment two weeks ago when I started this project.

So basically I was so lucky that the compressor failed like a day or two before the clutch bearing failed (it was a couple years ago but it was close) so I would think it was just the clutch. Real fuckin lucky, you bet.

Evap tube/compressor chunks filter

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 10, 2021

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Had sponginess in the clutch pedal this past week as well as the pedal only coming up halfway a few times, had to get my toe under it and pull it back to top. Fearing a failing slave cylinder, did a clutch bleed and found that the brake fluid was very low. I didn't realize it was brake fluid there, I had 2 quarts of motul sauce ready to go! TMYK I suppose. Filled up with DOT4. Hoping the slave lasts until March, that's when I can afford to put a new SPEC clutch and flywheel in while I'm in there. Feels much better now but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
im p confident i figured out why the $300 vo' was leaking PS fluid and got perma-parked; the po tried the ol' double-copper-gasket trick

thats the banjo bolt connecting the PS hose to the steering rack.
im sure i could have buttoned it up and sent it right there but i went ahead and put in all new hoses, too. ill pick up some dextron later and see what it do

on another note, while i was wrenching yesterday, i realized that ive come back around to enjoy working on cars again. it feels really good because there was a long stretch of time where everything--even simple repairs--felt like a huge burden and small challenges quickly spiraled into large frustrations. im still broke-brained and all but its something to celebrate

stone soup fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 15, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't know if the PO just didn't put anything back together and it waited 5000kms to explode or if some really dumb criminal thought there were cats under there, but my sister called me and told me my moms X5 was "knocking" on the highway and i figured the worst. ended up just being plastic flapping around.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

stone soup posted:

im p confident i figured out why the $300 vo' was leaking PS fluid and got perma-parked; the po tried the ol' double-copper-gasket trick

im sure i could have buttoned it up and sent it right there but i went ahead and put in all new hoses, too. ill pick up some dextron later and see what it do

new hoses and crush-washers at the steering rack:

after i filled up the ps reservoir and discovered it still leaks! yay!

at least i know exactly where it leaks now

one of the rack's hard-lines is very much chooched.

i have a feeling itll go faster if i bend up the replacements myself rather than try to source pre-bent lines.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 16, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Had this car for 3 years, time to make it more Subaru

Last week, replaced the OEM tires with Michelin CrossClimate2's. Since we have an upcoming 2-week long camping trip to Grand Canyon/Zion/Bryce in a couple of weeks, I wanted a bit more storage space for camping gear. Got a cargo box, Yakima CBX 16, and mounted it as one does in the REI parking lot.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You didn't make the staff from REI do it?

I used to have to install those all the time, I don't miss it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

They helped me get it out of the box and on to the roof without me really asking for it - I just asked to borrow a box cutter since I left mine at home and had my wife with me to help lift it up, but the dude just was like "ok let's get it on there"

I got to do all the fiddly parts of "getting it centered" and "mounted to the crossbars" though. I do need to get the front crossbar further forward so it doesn't flutter as much in the wind, and then slap the mandatory stickers on it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Bought a 69 4 bolt main from a classic car salvage yard near me after Pomona was a desert of anything Pontiac. Going to strip it down to a short block and drop it off at a machine stop to be magnafluxed, cleaned, rebearinged and reringed with extra clearance for forced induction, get a 3 angle valve job done on the 6X-4 heads I picked up in Maine last year so I will get around a static 9:1 compression ratio on it. Not sure if I want to get better pistons to run NO2 on it for a bit or just blow it up then get a 462 stroker rotating assembly and build that for turd bows. After doing some readings, research and just general “what would be fun to do?” Navel gazing I want to twin turbo the poncho after initially thinking about going with a supercharger just due to performance per buck potential and how there is a lot more choice with turbo stuff now and to me it seems supercharging has fallen behind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Navel gazing I want to twin turbo the poncho after initially thinking about going with a supercharger just due to performance per buck potential and how there is a lot more choice with turbo stuff now and to me it seems supercharging has fallen behind.

I get the feeling that this is because it's cheaper to put together a turbocharger than a supercharger, since you have just one moving part that has to be carefully fitted to some non-moving parts. A belt-driven centrifugal supercharger adds a gearbox and belt drive to that, and positive displacement superchargers usually have two pieces that need to be carefully sized to each other as well as the housing.

I still want to supercharge my C10 eventually because there's surprisingly little room underhood for the plumbing needed for turbocharging, especially if I want to keep air conditioning.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

100%, with cheap EFI systems a lot of the mystery and cost to turbo tuning has gone away compared to me 15 years ago with Skylines where everyone just ran the same turbos and aftermarket ecu setup since it was known to work and the cost of doing something that didn’t work was new a new short block. So gently caress it twin turbs on the thing and make a 10 second cruise liner*.

* once maybe

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced drier, condenser, expansion valve, and compressor on the 4runner. A/C is ice cold again.

Everything, including a vacuum pump, for about $300. I love my old truck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

stone soup posted:

To be fair, it *does* use two copper washers - just usually one on either side of the banjo!

All I did was plate some more hardware:

Oh, I did buy an aluminum thing. Forgot to post that outside of my own thread:

Not a lot of movement beyond that. I need the fasteners done so I can bolt the radiator in, so I can take measurements for a new parallel-flow AC condenser, so I can get *that* ordered.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

On the just-purchased-today Mini S, the dash had a typical Mini rattle. A little bit of sound deadening material should hopefully help. I bought a 50 sq ft box of the stuff and used like 3?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Front LED turn signal bulbs. Of course, I had to install the parallel resistor but what are you gonna do?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Replaced my battery in the 2015 Sierra. I was stubborn and didn't want to remove the strut to get it out and ended up doing a lot of extra effort and taking the strut out too! Then I got to finagle and manipulate a big battery to get it out of the cubby, and it didn't have a go handle either. Installation was the same pain as removal. All set up now though.

Confirmed it was original equipment, and the bulging sides and wet top confirmed my diagnosis, and confirmed that it went in the bed, not the cab.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

devmd01 posted:

Front LED turn signal bulbs. Of course, I had to install the parallel resistor but what are you gonna do?

Get an aftermarket digital flasher instead of the ancient thermal relay manufacturers still use because people are too stupid to check their lights (not that flashing faster gets their attention anyway)? :shrug:

Just google for one. They're not hard to find. My Saturn was all LED converted and didn't need any of that hacky garbage.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Replaced the plastic clip for the driver’s door lock pin in the Mini. The pin was just loose in the rear storage pocket when I bought the car, and the clips were like $3 online. The hardest part was just blindly guessing where the clip was supposed to go based on the shape of the pin, but total it was a ten minute job.

Picture an empty hole here for the “before”

Last night I replaced the completely disintegrated side markers with eBay style smoked LED units.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Washed it :3:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Looks like the cover of consumer reports 1999.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVhhVJt0xG0

Took it for a rip. Sprayed a 100 shot of nitrous on it. On the way home the CEL came one. Scan tool told me it was just a rich condition. I might have to go down one jet on the fuel side. I told my tuner to leave it a little fat to be safe, and I'm running colder plugs. Probably gonna have to change the plugs.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
in today's continuation of the adventures of [thread title], i was wondering why the plug where the distributor connects to the harness was wrapped in tape

well,

it's just some corroded-rear end pins jammed into the mating connector. i guess someone broke the housing along the way. i wonder if i can figure out what molex or whatever connector this is, and get a replacement for it without having to chop and re-terminate. gonna shine up the contacts at a minimum

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just ditch the old connector and repin it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051PLP3U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7QWBEVXD5NP9466N4BFJ

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The in law's car (17 Escape, 2.0L turbo) was leaking oil, and appeared to be from the valve cover at the back of the engine. Said I'd replace it and ordered the part since I have replaced VC gaskets a million times and it's easy. Today that adventure has started and it has been less than easy. Ford runs tight rear end harnesses and hoses all over the top of the cover and there's tons of poo poo in the way to even get to it. I had to take off 2 cowl panels, The brake fluid reservoir, tons of hoses and clips and almost had to remove the high pressure pump to get enough clearance to get it off. There's a high pressure hard line just over the cover which I don't want to crack open, but thought I could just loosen the pump and move it a bit out of the way. I decided not to since the nuts holding it on were double nutted (one for a bracket, one for pump) and there's little clearance on that side so my hand is chewed up enough already. Decided to try and slide the cover out instead of lifting it straight up. This will come back to haunt me when RTV gets involved in part 2, god dammit. Everything has been done in the most "gently caress you" way possible in regards to serviceability. I've had to do a couple things completely blind and I imagine getting it back together will be an even bigger nightmare. Anyway, got it off after two hours of fussing and found a pool of oil in the 1st plug well. Not much else really noteworthy except it being nice and clean underneath. There's an air inlet hose that runs behind the engine that may have a loose fitting on it (PCV recirc I'd guess) that may be the cause of the greater leak but can't really tell since it's got a nice coating of oil everywhere. I'll clean it all back up and let them monitor it.

gently caress working on modern stuff, and maybe all stuff, really. :geno:

E: not the exact engine (maybe earlier model or different variant?) but this is pretty close to what you're looking at starting out.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 22, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I replaced the battery in my SIL’s escape last year and yeah that engine bay has some pain in the rear end packaging.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Finally got the Carplay/Android Auto add-on installed in the Jagon.

Also the plates arrived

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Same. Replaced the VCG on 1998 BMW S52 and its tractor like complexity. Maybe an hour?

Replaced the VCG on a 2009 BMW N52 and it resulted in a trail of tears, gnashing of teeth, and contemplating all life choices thst led to that decision. Multiple days.

And that was a 10+ year old car. I can’t imagine the misery of of a modern euro car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah I've learned my lesson. Or at least that's what I said the last time I worked on a car and hated all of it.

Here's to next time. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Miata made it to the paint shop and the E46 M3 ABS harness finally showed up, so everything is coming together.

Also pulled the clutch assist spring out of the BRZ so it feels like a normal clutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Found out why my car would sometimes make a metal on metal screeching noise when turning left occasionally. Not sure what happened here.