Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1428457950578892803

This got a serious chuckle outta me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At least once a year, presumably.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wasn't every CC House basically a courier running up to you saying "Congrats you now have a fully furnished mansion that also has a teleporter built into it which not even the College of Winterhold has", which might be a bit jarring when you start a new playthrough and get told this right after you escaped Helgen

Oblivion was amazing about that. I was still in the sewers during the intro, getting pop-ups about how I'd just gotten a letter delivered by courier that my old uncle who I barely remembered had passed away and left me his mansion in his will. There were like four or five of those in a row. (Not all dead uncles with decrepit mansions.)

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I've decided to try out Wabbajack for the first time after not playing a modded run in maybe 3 or 4 years. However in the installation process for Qwest it says I critically need Shredder because I used Vortex a long time ago. The link to Shredder appears to be dead on Nexus because Skyrim updated and broke Shredder. Anyone know if that means I don't have a chance at getting Qwest working and shouldn't bother with the massive download or is the Vortex warning less serious or outdated now?

Edit: VVVVVVVV thanks, I'm excited to give it a go and feel like if I run into issues I could probably fix them myself now

Age of the Atomic Mom fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 20, 2021

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Age of the Atomic Mom posted:

I've decided to try out Wabbajack for the first time after not playing a modded run in maybe 3 or 4 years. However in the installation process for Qwest it says I critically need Shredder because I used Vortex a long time ago. The link to Shredder appears to be dead on Nexus because Skyrim updated and broke Shredder. Anyone know if that means I don't have a chance at getting Qwest working and shouldn't bother with the massive download or is the Vortex warning less serious or outdated now?

I'm 90% sure you're fine if you just uninstall Skyrim, delete the game and profiles folders, then reinstall. MO2 uses its own location for mods, config files, and saves so all it really cares about is that the folder you install Skyrim into is clean (plus SKSE and ENB). You might need a more thorough cleaning if you want to modify the list, since LOOT and other utilities like to put stuff in AppData that can mess stuff up, but that's about the only thing I can think of that might cause issues.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

that anniversary edition is going to be an absolute disaster, can just feel it

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I have zero confidence in Bethesda putting forth the effort to incorporate the Creation Club content in a seamless way. New players will be hounded constantly by the accursed Courier, hunted down at every turn so that he may give them a new note saying that they’ve inherited a house somewhere.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phetz posted:

I have zero confidence in Bethesda putting forth the effort to incorporate the Creation Club content in a seamless way. New players will be hounded constantly by the accursed Courier, hunted down at every turn so that he may give them a new note saying that they’ve inherited a house somewhere.

"I've been looking everywhere for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands o--" FUS RO DAAAAAAAAH

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

its probably just worded really poorly. maybe it just means they've ported 500 already existing mods to work on newer consoles, not that they'll all be integrated

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dongicus posted:

its probably just worded really poorly. maybe it just means they've ported 500 already existing mods to work on newer consoles, not that they'll all be integrated

It's probably just the official Bethesda-endorsed and implemented Creation Club content, the stuff that you have to pay Bethesda to access like Forgotten Seasons, Survival Mode, Saturalia, the Alternate Armor packs, the Vigil Enforcer Armor Set, ect.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

There is a mod that delays the Creation Club stuff from being thrown at you immediately, if I'm not mistaken. I know there's one for FO4, at least.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Glancing through that list, the mods don't sound super invasive other than survival and camping. Do the CC quests sprawl all over the place or something?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Glancing through that list, the mods don't sound super invasive other than survival and camping. Do the CC quests sprawl all over the place or something?

They're just generally poorly implemented. The Survival mod is probably the most seamless, but a lot of the others are "HERE IS QUEST GO DO THE THING" pop-ups that comes at you instantly after you get out of Helgen.

Most of them are simply dropped into the world in various places, so while they're not hugely invasive they're also not terribly well-integrated. This is partly because they (understandably) lack voice acting, but it's also just how a lot of the CC content rolls: minimum effort for maximum profit.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
luv 2 mod the same BBB beautiful babes of skyrim tits for 15 years

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwpaAEo-9kM

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

So a couple months ago I built a new computer and I transferred my MO2 stuff, among other things, to my new one (didn't want to go through the rigmarole of reinstalling my mods), and set up SKSE. After launching Skyrim, I got this notification in MO2:

quote:

You have one or more script extender plugins which failed to load!

If you want this notification to go away, here are some steps you can take:
• Look for updates to the mod or the specific plugin included in the mod.
• Disable the mod containing the plugin.
• Hide or delete the plugin from the mod.

To refresh the script extender logs, you will need to run the game and/or editor again!

The failed plugins are:
• DP_Extender - Dynamic Potions Extender (by egocarib) built with 2.0.17 version 2 (DP_Extender.dll, Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul) loaded correctly (handle 1).
• DynamicAnimationReplacer version 1 (DynamicAnimationReplacer.dll, DynamicAnimationReplacer) loaded correctly (handle 2).
• EngineFixes plugin version 5 (EngineFixes.dll, (Part 1) Engine Fixes) loaded correctly (handle 3).
• ExATKDataPlugin (by Excinerus) built with 2.0.17 version 1 (ExATKDataPlugin.dll, Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul) loaded correctly (handle 4).
• Fuz Ro D'oh version 17253948 (Fuz Ro D'oh.dll, Fuz Ro D-oh - Silent Voice) loaded correctly (handle 5).
• ImprovedCamera version 1 (ImprovedCamera.dll, Improved Camera) loaded correctly (handle 6).
• InsertAttackData64 plugin version 1 (InsertAttackData.dll, Ultimate Dragons SE) loaded correctly (handle 7).
• MagExtender - Magic Extender (by egocarib) built with 2.0.17 version 2 (MagExtender.dll, Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul) loaded correctly (handle 8).
• More Informative Console version 0 (MoreInformativeConsole.dll, More Informative Console for SKSE 2.17) loaded correctly (handle 9).
• papyrusutil plugin version 2 (PapyrusUtil.dll, PapyrusUtil SE - Scripting Utility Functions) loaded correctly (handle 10).
• skee version 1 (skee64.dll, RaceMenu Special Edition) loaded correctly (handle 11).
• UltimateCombat64 version 1 (UltimateCombat.dll, Ultimate Combat SE) loaded correctly (handle 12).
• UltimateDragons64 version 1 (UltimateDragons64.dll, Ultimate Dragons SE) loaded correctly (handle 13).

I'm a bit confused since it looks like everything loaded correctly, according to the warning.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

So a couple months ago I built a new computer and I transferred my MO2 stuff, among other things, to my new one (didn't want to go through the rigmarole of reinstalling my mods), and set up SKSE. After launching Skyrim, I got this notification in MO2:

I'm a bit confused since it looks like everything loaded correctly, according to the warning.

When you launched Skyrim through MO2, did you launch Skyrim or the SKSE64 launcher?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

When you launched Skyrim through MO2, did you launch Skyrim or the SKSE64 launcher?

Through the SKSE launcher.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 21, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I can't remember what it is, but there's a console command to make sure skse is working properly.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I can't remember what it is, but there's a console command to make sure skse is working properly.

getskseversion? I typed that and it shows the version, so it's working properly.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
as this game came out in the 17th century and I only now bought Skyrim SE (I got Skyrim on launch), is the OP usable for Skyrim SE? or do I rely on the wiki?

I probably just want to get a mod organizer and add some tweaks (probably the unofficial patches + SPERG) but not an insane 100 mod overhaul, but I'm not sure what the way to go now is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blowdryer posted:

as this game came out in the 17th century and I only now bought Skyrim SE (I got Skyrim on launch), is the OP usable for Skyrim SE? or do I rely on the wiki?

I probably just want to get a mod organizer and add some tweaks (probably the unofficial patches + SPERG) but not an insane 100 mod overhaul, but I'm not sure what the way to go now is.

The majority of the mods covered in the OP have been ported to Special Edition now. Just go to https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition and start searching for them. The Phoenix Flavour mod pack has a very good front-to-back guide for setting up Skyrim to be modded even if you don't ultimately end up using any of the mods on their list.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Blowdryer posted:

There's a Wabbajack list called SME(FT) that I would recommend as a starting point. It basically gets your modding installation started with all the useful tools and bugfix mods like the unofficial patch and some UI stuff. So then all you need to do from there is figure out which gameplay or visual mods you want to use.

There's a bunch of different overhauls you can use for gameplay stuff. These days I think you can get an incredibly good start just downloading SME(FT) and then the SimonRim mod set (or EnaiRim depending on your preferences).

The most popular one is Enaisiaion's mods which I'm not personally a fan of but range from vanilla+ to bigger overhaul. Ordinator is one of the best big perk overhauls and allows for a lot of more specialized builds. Vokrii is a vanilla+ perk mod that's actually really good. The rest of his mods tend to add new features in a survival mod sort of way where you have to do prayers daily and stuff that takes you out of the gameplay which some people really like and others don't.

The other popular one is Simon's mods which are entirely vanilla+ and also cover pretty much every gameplay aspect in the game. These are what I generally use these days. Adamant is a very vanilla+ perk mod that's basically the modern successor to SPERG. All of his stuff is very good about not adding additional gameplay nuisances and just making everything integrate smoothly into your existing gameplay.

Some other stuff...
Experience makes it so that levelling your skills no longer increases your character level and instead you gain experience through discovering/clearing locations, quests, and optionally through kills (all of which can be configured).
Quick Loot RE which brings the looting system from Fallout 4 where you just hover over a container and immediately take stuff from it without having to open it first.
True Directional Movement is basically required if you want to play in third person, but also has some really good stuff that can be useful in first person too like boss bars and lock on. All of which is implemented seamlessly and with basically no lag.
Minimap is really good, usually these kinds of mods are messy script stuff but this one Just Works. It's lightweight and extremely useful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of Wabbajack..

Should it take a really, really long time to install a modlist?

I'm trying to install Serenity 2 for Skyrim Special Edition, which is a 932 mod list, and it's been stuck at "10/22 Extracting Modlist Contents", with no movement on the progress bar for more than an hour. I did try restarting Wabbajack, but only after giving it lots and LOTS of time to show me any indication of progress.

The little console screen shows " Extracting serenity.wabbajack - done" as the last line.

Is this normal?

Edit: Just restarted it again after about another hour of no progress because it's a recommended troubleshooting step in the web page.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 22, 2021

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of Wabbajack..

Should it take a really, really long time to install a modlist?

I'm trying to install Serenity 2 for Skyrim Special Edition, which is a 932 mod list, and it's been stuck at "10/22 Extracting Modlist Contents", with no movement on the progress bar for more than an hour. I did try restarting Wabbajack, but only after giving it lots and LOTS of time to show me any indication of progress.

The little console screen shows " Extracting serenity.wabbajack - done" as the last line.

Is this normal?

Edit: Just restarted it again after about another hour of no progress because it's a recommended troubleshooting step in the web page.

Depends on which specific mod it's stopped at. Some of the modlists include absolutely gigantic texture packs which take forever to unpack.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Zeron posted:

There's a Wabbajack list called SME(FT) that I would recommend as a starting point. It basically gets your modding installation started with all the useful tools and bugfix mods like the unofficial patch and some UI stuff. So then all you need to do from there is figure out which gameplay or visual mods you want to use.

I would love a wabbajack pack like this but which also improves visuals.

I want to pick my own gameplay mods but I am very happy for someone else to pick my tree textures for me.

I'm surprised there isn't already a "vanilla but with beautiful graphics" pack.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
For what it's worth a lot of SE mods get backported to LE; I imagine AE backported to SE backported to LE will be a lot less common because that's way too many ports, but AE/SE versions are quite likely if the pattern holds. And if you get SE versions, porting to VR shouldn't be bad?

I also think this is too many versions of Skyrim, but that ship has long sailed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fuf posted:

I would love a wabbajack pack like this but which also improves visuals.

I want to pick my own gameplay mods but I am very happy for someone else to pick my tree textures for me.

I'm surprised there isn't already a "vanilla but with beautiful graphics" pack.

That’s basically the Phoenix Flavour. Minimal quest/world changes, a tweaked progression solely to make gameplay follow a good arc, all your pretty graphics.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Zeron posted:

Depends on which specific mod it's stopped at. Some of the modlists include absolutely gigantic texture packs which take forever to unpack.

That seems to have been the case; running errands for 3 hours fixed it; thank you.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

The majority of the mods covered in the OP have been ported to Special Edition now. Just go to https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition and start searching for them. The Phoenix Flavour mod pack has a very good front-to-back guide for setting up Skyrim to be modded even if you don't ultimately end up using any of the mods on their list.

Thanks for this, was great advice.

Zeron posted:

There's a bunch of different overhauls you can use for gameplay stuff. These days I think you can get an incredibly good start just downloading SME(FT) and then the SimonRim mod set (or EnaiRim depending on your preferences).

The most popular one is Enaisiaion's mods which I'm not personally a fan of but range from vanilla+ to bigger overhaul. Ordinator is one of the best big perk overhauls and allows for a lot of more specialized builds. Vokrii is a vanilla+ perk mod that's actually really good. The rest of his mods tend to add new features in a survival mod sort of way where you have to do prayers daily and stuff that takes you out of the gameplay which some people really like and others don't.

The other popular one is Simon's mods which are entirely vanilla+ and also cover pretty much every gameplay aspect in the game. These are what I generally use these days. Adamant is a very vanilla+ perk mod that's basically the modern successor to SPERG. All of his stuff is very good about not adding additional gameplay nuisances and just making everything integrate smoothly into your existing gameplay.

Some other stuff...
Experience makes it so that levelling your skills no longer increases your character level and instead you gain experience through discovering/clearing locations, quests, and optionally through kills (all of which can be configured).
Quick Loot RE which brings the looting system from Fallout 4 where you just hover over a container and immediately take stuff from it without having to open it first.
True Directional Movement is basically required if you want to play in third person, but also has some really good stuff that can be useful in first person too like boss bars and lock on. All of which is implemented seamlessly and with basically no lag.
Minimap is really good, usually these kinds of mods are messy script stuff but this one Just Works. It's lightweight and extremely useful.

While I was just going to play vanilla skyrim with new perks + graphics, maybe changing up my gameplay is something to look into.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Fenrisulfr posted:

I'm 90% sure you're fine if you just uninstall Skyrim, delete the game and profiles folders, then reinstall. MO2 uses its own location for mods, config files, and saves so all it really cares about is that the folder you install Skyrim into is clean (plus SKSE and ENB). You might need a more thorough cleaning if you want to modify the list, since LOOT and other utilities like to put stuff in AppData that can mess stuff up, but that's about the only thing I can think of that might cause issues.

After several hours of play with no CTDs or bugs I could tell, doing that extra bit of cleaning in the AppData may or may not have done the trick. But I'm happily playing QWEST with Simon since I was familiar with Enai now and holy poo poo this is a completely different game than I am familiar with. Loving it a ton. Agreed with whoever said the music is jarring though. I just turned it down to a low level and it's quiet enough not to take me out of the moment. Going from "200 mods will result in tons of crashing and prep to make it all work" to wabbajack installing 800 mods and being totally functional is incredible. Thanks again!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
anyone have any thoughts on spellsiphon? It seems interesting but possibly too complicated to really get a lot of use out of, although it seems like with a recent update you can change your life/death/earth spells to other ones you use more frequently, which could be neat. i'm hesitant to install it but it could be nicely doable.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It is a very interesting mod, but I did end up taking it out cause I really didn't use its features that much. The spell function still kept you to 3 spells and I preferred swapping between a bunch of stuff over that. The ward blocking and parrying was cool but as far as I know there is no way to swap only to the ward, you had to also equip draw on your other hand, which was annoying if I wanted to use something else in my main hand and wanted to block I'd have to equip draw. There are other things you can do with it but they're behind getting 50 and 75 destruction or conjuration and by then I forget I even have it installed.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Arivia posted:

That’s basically the Phoenix Flavour. Minimal quest/world changes, a tweaked progression solely to make gameplay follow a good arc, all your pretty graphics.

Hmm when I tried Phoenix Flavour ages ago I remember going to a blacksmith and the list was full of loads of new random, mismatched items. It put me off. Maybe I'm remembering wrong or it's changed since then.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fuf posted:

Hmm when I tried Phoenix Flavour ages ago I remember going to a blacksmith and the list was full of loads of new random, mismatched items. It put me off. Maybe I'm remembering wrong or it's changed since then.

I haven't had that experience in about 50 hours of play recently. But, I don't have a TON of Skyrim experience, so it's possible that stuff I'm seeing in the crafting menus like executioner's hoods are new weird stuff. I know it adds craftable lockpicks at least.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So would it be just the stupidest thing ever to try to add one little mod to this Wabbajack install I did? I am just dying to try that new omni directional movement mod.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jack B Nimble posted:

So would it be just the stupidest thing ever to try to add one little mod to this Wabbajack install I did? I am just dying to try that new omni directional movement mod.

What mod? most of the big mod lists have mods that gently caress with the camera and movement in a way that that would almost certainly gently caress it up. Unless you're thinking of one of the mods they use for that.

If you click on "archive search" for any mod on the wabbajack list, it lists all the esps and you can search it to see if they have the mod already.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This amazing thing, which looks hugely impressive:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/51614?tab=description

I only ever play Skyrim as a FPS, but this mod looks like it might actually make the game work as a souls lite??

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it became the most voted mod on the entire nexus for skyrim in like four days, it's absurd

combine it with tk dodge and it's like an entirely different game. i'm still on the fence because I really don't enjoy melee combat but this might change that for me. i wish distar66 wasn't an absolute insane chud and didn't delete all his soulslike mods, this would have been the final piece of the puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
But is VR compatible :haw: