Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

God, this is a new and difficult experience for me: disposing of food items and other crafting items. I don't need them, I don't want ESO+ (for now, I want to get my money's worth out of the base game), it's okay self. It's okay. You can let go of the apples. And corn. And wheat. And fish. And -
Yeah all the food ingredients I don't pick up, not having ESO+. The other stuff is worth picking up, though. Right now you don't have space to store them, but once you upgrade your inventory and bank space a bit you'll be able to pick up the other crafting ingredients since those are more limited in quantity. Other players will buy them for decent gold in stacks. Food other than flour, Small Game and Potatoes doesn't sell for much.

If you make those 9 free alt accounts and your own guild you can get a free personal 500 slot bank and you can use it to store mats or other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It took me a while to figure out, but you can safely ignore most sacks, all crates and baskets if you don’t want food stuff.

The good loot is chests, backpacks and “heavy sacks”.

All bets are off when stealing. There is actually some pretty funny writing on all the rando poo poo you can steal. I like how theft draws from a totally different loot pool.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

i got this game and have been playing through. i think i'm like level 6 right now? is there like reading i can do on the skill points? i get that there's like weapon, armor, class, ???? and then i tried to read up and there's like multiple bars? and they somehow level with other things even if you don't use them?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

creatine posted:

i got this game and have been playing through. i think i'm like level 6 right now? is there like reading i can do on the skill points? i get that there's like weapon, armor, class, ???? and then i tried to read up and there's like multiple bars? and they somehow level with other things even if you don't use them?
You get skill points from: leveling up you normal level to 50, leveling up your PVP rank to 50, completing main story quests in zones, completing group dungeons, completing public dungeons, collecting skyshards (3 shards is 1 skill point). You can use those skill points to unlock passive or active skills.

However, you can't just put points in any skill you want at the start. In order to put skill points into a skill, you have to unlock it by leveling up that skill's inspiration. You level up the inspiration by doing things related to that skill.
For weapons and armor it gets leveled up by wearing the appropriate weapon or armor.
For class skill lines it levels up by having those class skills on your bar. Having multiple from the same skill line levels it faster.
Weapon skills count towards your weapon, even if they don't match the weapon you're wielding (you can only use the skills if you're wielding the appropriate weapon though).
For all of the above, the inspiration rises proportional to any xp you gain, no matter the xp source. As a result, what some people do is have one bar for their primary weapon and class skills they use to actually fight things, and then a second weapon and bar they use mainly when turning in quests to level up other things they don't use but may want to use in the future. This is also why people say to wear one light one heavy and one med in addition to whatever else you're wearing so all the lines level a bit if you ever want to change. I'd suggest 2 heavy 2 med 2 light and 1 whatever so they all level relatively equally. As you level there's not as big a difference in the armor types, since a lot of the difference is in passives you need to unlock. Just wear what you find trying to balance things, unless you want to spend gold for a specific build.

The other lines have their own ways of leveling up unrelated to xp.
The crafting skills get leveled up crafting (a little bit) and deconstructing (much more). Alchemy and provisioning can't be deconned, so those level up much more when crafting.
Your racial skills unlock every 5 character levels.
PVP skills unlock by increasing PVP level, note the max skill is in a reasonable place (something like PVP rank 15 or something), unlike the max PVP rank of 50 which requires a ludicrous amount of PVPing.
Guild skills unlock by doing those guild's quests in various ways.

There are specific tips and tricks for leveling up the various skill lines. In general, though, I'd prioritize worrying about the skills you actually use first. If there's a skill deep in a line you want, you might want to take a skill you don't much care about and stick it on your bar just to help level up that line. This especially applies to class skills. I'd always have one from each group on the bar because you'll always want those maxed to 50.
Things level at a reasonable pace, mostly, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it's good to know how it works when you want a specific thing to unlock. I mostly didn't worry too much about it until level 50 and I rounded out whatever I may want but hadn't leveled. Some guides really try to optimize leveling, but for most things it's not necessary. If you understand how things work you can decide for yourself if and when you want to optimize things.

Note that you don't get a second bar to swap until level 15.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I got an invite to the PC US Chill Bros Chat Lounge, thanks for making that happen!

When it comes to selling crowns, how do? Do you gift the item to the other person and just...trust they'll give you gold?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Potato Salad posted:

I got an invite to the PC US Chill Bros Chat Lounge, thanks for making that happen!

When it comes to selling crowns, how do? Do you gift the item to the other person and just...trust they'll give you gold?
Yes. Or they give you gold and trust that you give the item. Or you can use a trusted intermediary. You can't give the actual crowns and there's not way to have the game mediate the exchange like when selling ingame items through the trade window.It depends.

Some people sell/buy in zone chat, but I wouldn't, especially right now during a free to play. There are discords where you can buy/sell.

How many are you looking to sell and at what rate? On PCNA, right now the rate seems to be between 500:1 and 600:1 on WCE, 700:1 on TCE but it has more hoops to jump through, zone chat seems to be around 400:1-500:1. Rates will probably go down (a bit) until a bit after the crown sale ends and then go back up slowly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yes. Or they give you gold and trust that you give the item. Or you can use a trusted intermediary. You can't give the actual crowns and there's not way to have the game mediate the exchange like when selling ingame items through the trade window.It depends.

Some people sell/buy in zone chat, but I wouldn't, especially right now during a free to play. There are discords where you can buy/sell.

How many are you looking to sell and at what rate? On PCNA, right now the rate seems to be between 500:1 and 600:1 on WCE, 700:1 on TCE but it has more hoops to jump through, zone chat seems to be around 400:1-500:1. Rates will probably go down (a bit) until a bit after the crown sale ends and then go back up slowly.

PC north america. What's WCE and TCE?

Does anyone have any links to discords where one can arrange sales?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 21, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Potato Salad posted:

PC north america. What's WCE and TCE?

Does anyone have any links to discords where one can arrange sales?
WCE and TCE are the two main discords.
TCE is Tamriel Crown Exchange. The price is server set by those who run the server, the entire site is brokered, it's the safest but they take a cut and it's the most expensive to buy in. I don't know what the return is when you sell there.
https://discord.gg/TCE

WCE is World Crown Exchange. There's a buy thread and a sell thread, buyers and sellers find each other and set their price, currently people are setting buy prices at 500 or 550 and people are setting sell prices at 600 or 650. You can get a sense of which sales are consumated in the feedback thread, hence my 500-600 range. They offer brokers who take 5% if one of you doesn't feel comfortable.
https://discord.gg/ZRvAHF8

I've never used TCE, I've used WCE as a buyer a bunch and never had issues, but always bought from someone with feedback.

If you're looking to sell a lot of crowns (17500) and would be willing to sell at around 525 I'd be interested in buying at that price. You can probably do better if you want to spend the time idling discord and waiting for a buyer at a higher price. I'm hoping to buy at 500, but it would save me spending the weekend on discord.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If you're looking to sell a lot of crowns (17500) and would be willing to sell at around 525 I'd be interested in buying at that price. You can probably do better if you want to spend the time idling discord and waiting for a buyer at a higher price. I'm hoping to buy at 500, but it would save me spending the weekend on discord.

I'll take you up, rather do business with a goon than anyone else.

@sadleric

What time you available tonight?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Potato Salad posted:

I'll take you up, rather do business with a goon than anyone else.

@sadleric

What time you available tonight?
I'm on now, sent you a message in game. Later works too, if you're busy.

I forgot to mention that your first crown buy or ESO+ sub has to have been more than 30 days ago to gift crowns. Hopefully that's the case for you. Crowns bought after that you can trade immediately, it's just the first buy from Bethesda that has the waiting period.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Did Maelstrom for the first time. It's cool, but that's a long loving event to have to grind for rng on a weapon.

I queued up for a normal dungeon that I want some gear for. At the end a few nice group mates traded me their pieces... Then I realized they weren't 50, lol. I guess it at least put it in my collection, which lowers the transmute cost if I want to make it.

I'm still nervous about jumping into Vet, even though I get that I'll never see if any these people again regardless if I suck hard.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'm on now, sent you a message in game. Later works too, if you're busy.

I forgot to mention that your first crown buy or ESO+ sub has to have been more than 30 days ago to gift crowns. Hopefully that's the case for you. Crowns bought after that you can trade immediately, it's just the first buy from Bethesda that has the waiting period.

Too busy now, will be here later

I've been playing longer than 30 days, I've gifted before.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 22, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

xZAOx posted:

Did Maelstrom for the first time. It's cool, but that's a long loving event to have to grind for rng on a weapon.
It's faster once you know what you're doing, even faster if you improve your DPS. I've only done it twice (on normal), the second time was still a bit of a slog but much faster than the first knowing the mechanics. If I were actually good it'd be faster,

Potato Salad posted:

Too busy now, will be here later
Sure, no rush from me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PMs

Edit: Peaceful Anarchy was honest, whole thing went off smoothly. Would sell crowns to again. (I have another 4,000 crowns to move, if anyone is interested)

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 22, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

impressions:
-alchemical writs seem insanely annoying, can't find the right ingredients I need
-game seems super easy so far, I don't think I've been down to less than 50% health when falling wasn't involved
-what's the intended progression- I'm basically tooling around daggerfall grabbing whatever comes my way, havent touched the main quest yet, I've got a bunch of "prologue" quests which I assume are for expansion content?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The progression seems to be "You're playing four or five Elder Scrolls games worth of really good questing content"

revel in the journey

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

-what's the intended progression- I'm basically tooling around daggerfall grabbing whatever comes my way, havent touched the main quest yet, I've got a bunch of "prologue" quests which I assume are for expansion content?

If you don't care about the story at all, just do whatever.

If you want the writing to make sense and experience the story in the order it was written, you can use a guide like this one. Base game story quality is...serviceable, supposedly it gets a lot better in later expansions.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

StashAugustine posted:

impressions:
-alchemical writs seem insanely annoying, can't find the right ingredients I need
-game seems super easy so far, I don't think I've been down to less than 50% health when falling wasn't involved

Yeah, alchemy can be annoying, because they're more difficult to target farm. Use some surveys if you have them, otherwise try harvest map and whatever data pack. Or, just buy what you need.

Like basically every modern MMO, the challenging stuff is in group content. But even the entry level group stuff you'll probably faceroll. Give the Maelstrom Arena a romp.

There's definitely a proper chronological order (which is basically just release order, but people have compiled lists). However, the best part of the game is that you can just do what you enjoy. I'm a big fan of thieves and dark brotherhood, so I did those first. Do the first quests for mage and fighters so you can get the dialogue option skills at least.

Or don't do any quests at all. Travel around getting skyshards, doing delves, and realizing you should look up a map of public dungeons first because otherwise you'll miss poo poo. Do random normal dungeons.

Try to get all the wayshrines, find the zone that drops the set of gear you like, and join the murder hobos going dolmen to dolmen. Try to tag some world bosses on the way!

Or just gather mats and work on crafting.

And yes on the prologue quests. You can abandon them all if you want. Lots of them can launched from the cash shop. They push them to you often. The wiki is there if you want to start something. You can also usually just go to that new zone and someone will come yelling at you.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StashAugustine posted:

impressions:
They are. Also for some absurd reason the low level writs are the only ones that require Cornflower. I would buy a huge stack of Fleshfly Larva + Stinkhorn (which last I checked were two of the cheapest ingredients) and level up by crafting the highest level poisons (poisons because you get more so you get a little more gold back when you dump them, or you can use them for the regular poison endeavors that come up) you can. You can go all the way to 50, but if you can get to 20 those writs have relatively cheap ingredients you can buy that make the writs worthwhile. Make sure you invest in the Proficiency at 10 and then 20, and in Chemistry at 12.

Over time you'll collect ingredients it mostly won't be a big deal but at the start they're a pain.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Sorry for noob questions but I was reading about crafting and apparently they use the same skill points as combat? In that case I would assume crafting is something that is saved for late game when you're done leveling up skill trees?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

creatine posted:

Sorry for noob questions but I was reading about crafting and apparently they use the same skill points as combat? In that case I would assume crafting is something that is saved for late game when you're done leveling up skill trees?

You don't have to spend skillpoints to level up crafting (the skills level from doing stuff - you can hit 50 in each without a single point spent) , like for alchemy/provisioning you can spam craft the cheapest stuff you have the most materials for and vendor the results.

The other lines, just deconstruct everything you get, the gold you'd get from vendoring gear is negligible. (Set pieces also get added to your collection book en masse this way)

And then, as you do questlines, hunt skyshards, etc. You'll probably have enough skillpoints on hand to level both your combat skills and crafting mostly simultaneously. If not, prioritize combat skills first.

E: I'm xbox na, otherwise I'd just make you a couple sets of gear so you don't have to be stuck using whatever drops as you go.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 22, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

creatine posted:

Yes everything uses the same skill points. It's up to you whether to save it or not. I think the intended idea is that you level it up concurrently, so that you can craft what is at your level, but in practice that doesn't really match how you level for the second half. Crafting organically, i.e. just doing daily writs and deconstructing what you get from them, should keep pace until level 50 and not use many skill points, since your weapon/armor/guild skills trees need to level up too.

That said, if you power level crafting then yeah you'll find yourself a bit limited in skill points for other stuff, for a bit, conversely if you want to be a maximum efficiency fighter then yeah you'll find yourself lacking skill points for crafting.You should do what feels right, if you want to craft do it, if you don't don't worry about it. There are always skill points to find and most aren't level gated so if need a few you can go find some skyshards or do a dungeon you haven't or do a zone questline.

If you want to maximize combat now, but do want to do crafting later, you should certify crafting at level 6, do the daily writs, get enough to put one skill point in each so that you're doing the level 2 writs for each and you can stall out there for a while doing daily writs but not putting further points in crafting until you're ready. Level 2 writs are pretty close to self sufficient for wood/cloth/metal/jewelry but the decon stuff you get is meaningfully more useful than level 1, so when you do want to put points in crafting you won't be so far behind.

You can start researching whenever, so you should start doing that early if you ever plan on doing crafting, every little bit now saves you a bit at the end.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006