Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ToxicAcne posted:

Canada has tougher party whips than the UK or US. When you vote, you are definitely voting for a party. Not that good MP's don't matter but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Well sure, but I'm not ever going to tell someone to vote for a party given the parties we have to choose from here. Hopefully your MP candidate doesn't suck, because that's about as good as it gets. Besides, a good MP can do a lot in the community even if they're otherwise a backbencher in parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
loving federal twats are too busy campaigning during the weekdays so they've decided that little insignificant things like providing updates on the Afghanistan clusterfuck can wait until the weekend. So that means my weekend is ruined because I get the joy of recording Mendicino and Sajjan lie through their goddamn teeth tomorrow about what a good job they're doing.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

DrBox posted:

We have some PSAC represented people where I work and I've only ever heard it said like pee-sack. What is it supposed to be?

"The Alliance".

I mean, as a member of a another union I try not to offend my brothers and sisters but jfc pee-sack is right there.

Just got an SMS survey from somebody or other for Elections Canada. Apparently I'm not as well informed about the voting process as I thought I was. (I know you can vote day of without being registered, but does that include being able to register at the same time? Am I over-thinking these questions?)

I was delighted to tell them I'm voting by mail and don't expect final results until 3-4 days after the polls close. I am so looking forward to the media hyperventilating during that period.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Guaranteed Elections Canada will be understaffed and it will take 3 months to count the mail-in ballots.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How loving presumptuous do these rear end in a top hat ministers have to be to pretend like they can govern and campaign at the same time? Oh right, the head of the armed forces was a goddamn rapist and every other senior officer they could pick to discuss Afghanistan has a scandal under wraps. So I get to listen to Minister Math Problems, Minister "I don't have to answer your committee", Minister Man of Cheetos and World's Stupidest Astronaut tomorrow.

Them making appearances as cabinet members smacks of hubris like they're going out and saying "yeah we're gonna win anyways, might as well keep working while our opponents suck dirt" and I hate it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 22, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPD1qyHZec

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ontario is back above 700 daily cases.

Yay.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/CBCOlivia/status/1429442216112664579

Please stop shooting your foot, NDP.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Who is advising him to make these mind-numbingly stupid announcements? He's obviously smarter than that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tagesschau posted:

Who is advising him to make these mind-numbingly stupid announcements? He's obviously smarter than that.

What if… hear me out… he’s not, and he keeps doing stupid things because he’s stupid?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If he did smart things, he'd be elected, then he would have to govern, which is hard.

Smirking across the floor at all the things the other guy does wrong is so easy even we can do it

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arc Hammer posted:

How loving presumptuous do these rear end in a top hat ministers have to be to pretend like they can govern and campaign at the same time? Oh right, the head of the armed forces was a goddamn rapist and every other senior officer they could pick to discuss Afghanistan has a scandal under wraps. So I get to listen to Minister Math Problems, Minister "I don't have to answer your committee", Minister Man of Cheetos and World's Stupidest Astronaut tomorrow.

Them making appearances as cabinet members smacks of hubris like they're going out and saying "yeah we're gonna win anyways, might as well keep working while our opponents suck dirt" and I hate it.

I mean, they are still cabinet ministers. Parliament has been dissolved but the government is still the government. They can't make any BIG moves or do anything that might harm whatever incoming government will be sworn in after the election but we still have a PM and cabinet during the campaign.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HackensackBackpack posted:

I mean, they are still cabinet ministers. Parliament has been dissolved but the government is still the government. They can't make any BIG moves or do anything that might harm whatever incoming government will be sworn in after the election but we still have a PM and cabinet during the campaign.

I know they still have to do ministerial business but it is generally accepted as being a bad look to make announcements like this during an election because they toe the line into partisan politics. And Mendicino bragging about how quick Canada was about setting up a refugee asylum program for Afghans stinks of partisan dick waving.

And of course they do it on a weekend because God forbid a humanitarian crisis interrupt their election campaigning.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arc Hammer posted:

And Mendicino bragging about how quick Canada was about setting up a refugee asylum program for Afghans stinks of partisan dick waving.

"See how fast I can do my homework on the bus to school?" is a strange boast

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I'm sure that tweet is missing the hearty laugh everyone shared immediately after that statement.

They did laugh, didn't they?

Please, tell me they laughed...

In other news, the hugely irrelevant Conservative candidate for Saanich-Gulf Islands is apologizing for helping spread the narrative that the George Floyd/BLM protests were just the barbarian tribe of Antifa taking the opportunity to loot and pillage.

“I apologize for my insensitive remarks,” reads the statement from David Busch. “That’s not who I am as a person. "

Dude, at this point in history yes, yes it is.

ed: should include this choice quote as well:

"He then went on to say that he had experienced discrimination firsthand, as he had been verbally assaulted by passersby who, seeing him dressed in a police uniform for a movie shoot, had assumed him to be a real officer."

:qq:

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 22, 2021

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I know they still have to do ministerial business but it is generally accepted as being a bad look to make announcements like this during an election because they toe the line into partisan politics. And Mendicino bragging about how quick Canada was about setting up a refugee asylum program for Afghans stinks of partisan dick waving.

And of course they do it on a weekend because God forbid a humanitarian crisis interrupt their election campaigning.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the caretaker convention but I think this would likely qualify, being an international humanitarian crisis and all.

Bad look, maybe, but i think doing or saying nothing until the next government is sworn in would probably be worse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the caretaker convention but I think this would likely qualify, being an international humanitarian crisis and all.

Bad look, maybe, but i think doing or saying nothing until the next government is sworn in would probably be worse.

The best thing they could do would be to let officials from the departments make the announcement and perhaps a senior officer in the Armed Forces. The trouble is that the senior staff isn't going to be doing any media appearances thanks to the sex scandals and the department officials already did a tech briefing yesterday that I recorded which had all the details necessary that could be dissemination to the public. The announcement today was just grandstanding so the ministers could say "I'm working!" and get some airtime responding to questions the journalists got the answers to yesterday.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

The best thing they could do would be to let officials from the departments make the announcement and perhaps a senior officer in the Armed Forces. The trouble is that the senior staff isn't going to be doing any media appearances thanks to the sex scandals and the department officials already did a tech briefing yesterday that I recorded which had all the details necessary that could be dissemination to the public. The announcement today was just grandstanding so the ministers could say "I'm working!" and get some airtime responding to questions the journalists got the answers to yesterday.

That's fair. You're not totally wrong. It's possible the weekend show chase producers actually wanted the ministers and not their staffers. I suppose they could/should have said no.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/david_moscrop/status/1429526714376495106?s=21

Lmfuckingao

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jesus I very well might not vote this election

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JFC.

I get that the candidate pool is probably more of a puddle in some ridings, but please.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Hahahahaha holy poo poo. How did this person get nominated by the NDP?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
its kanata lol

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus I very well might not vote this election

My riding was a dead heat between Jim Carr and Joyce Bateman last election. I'm staying home. gently caress it. gently caress everything. It's literally not worth the miniscule effort to vote by mail or the minute risk of getting covid/being hit by a car or meteorite while going to vote in person.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Twice in one day, I love election season.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm in Haldimand Norfolk which is like one of the chuddiest areas in Ontario. Were also in last place for vaccinations as well. I still vote but there really isn't a point. The conservative person running out here is a real gem too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Arc Hammer posted:

Ontario is back above 700 daily cases.

Yay.

Don't worry, it should be fine, only the vast majority of them are among the unvaccinated

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gotta protect those job creators.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Hahahahaha holy poo poo. How did this person get nominated by the NDP?

The NDP is mostly Liberals with a marginally more progressive tax policy?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I don't think the NDP actually has a coherent set of beliefs outside a vague western leftism. It's one of the huge detriments of party politics. You have this wide range of positions, some of them mutually contradictory, that are tolerated for the sake of big tents and running someone in every riding.

I think it would be better for the NDP to run less than a full slate then attach themselves to candidates like this.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

Beelzebufo posted:

I don't think the NDP actually has a coherent set of beliefs outside a vague western leftism. It's one of the huge detriments of party politics. You have this wide range of positions, some of them mutually contradictory, that are tolerated for the sake of big tents and running someone in every riding.

I think it would be better for the NDP to run less than a full slate then attach themselves to candidates like this.

Yeah. Snap election is going to have some dross in the no hope seats. Still, the party does not do much to create am ideological vision for candidates to follow.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

NDP are the party that small lgbtqia2s+ landlords and landlords of colour, struggling low-income landlords can count on for support.
Liberals are here for your solid upper middle class landlord that really don't mind renting to people of any colour so long as they pay on time and in full.
Conservatives are the party for landlords of all sizes from the basement suite mortgage helper to the huge property management firm that really need a tax break and more freedom to kick out the wrong sort of tenants.

So we've got a whole spectrum of choices in Canada! You might ask "but what if you're not a landlord?" well that's a fair question, but the government doesn't really have a mandate to represent your interests in the slightest.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
The Landlord Class and those Working to Join It

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You're More Landed Than You Think (TM).

I idly wondered if anyone tried to coin the term landserf for renters, homeless and other aspiring landlords and apparently it's a Java-based GIS program.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

large hands posted:

The Landlord Class and those Working to Join It

New thread title IMO.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Canada's Conservatives: Secure the Deposit

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think she just ran out of room. She didn't mean "landlords are business owners recovering from Covid too," this is why she used "to" instead of "too." She meant to write "landlords are business owners recovering from Covid to gently caress you." Right?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Oh hey look it's the NDP nominee for my riding. Now who the hell do I vote for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

We should all vote for the tories just to see what will happen.