Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

TPM has force speed for literally half a second then we never see it again.

Eh, Luke kinda does force speed to jump out of the carbonite chamber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luke’s projections in 8 were cool. I liked those a lot

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Force Powers and Where to Find Them: The Crimes of Palpatine

ANH: Mind Tricks, Telekinesis (If that's what Force Choke is), having a kind of Sixth Sense that lets you block laser remotes, sense planets getting blown up and make one in a million shots. ascending to a higher plane of existence, Hearing the voices of the dead. The ability to create noises.

ESB: Telekinesis (unless that's what force choke is), Immortality through becoming a blue ghost, Telepathy, The ability to see the future, trippy vision quests. Catching lasers with your hand. Super Jump

RotJ: Lightning, Redirecting blasters with your Lightsaber (though that might fall under the aforementioned sixth sense), Mind Reading. Possibly the ability to mask your presence? (It's kinda vague if when Luke is hiding from Vader whether he's magically concealing himself or like, standing behind a pole.)

TPM: Super Speed, Giving yourself Yellow Eyes (retroactively), Holding your breath beyond human capability.

AotC: Catching lightning, and both redirecting it or absorbing it, Possibly the ability to affect others powers (It's unclear if the Jedi losing their ability to se the future is something Palpatine actively doing or just a symptom of the Dark Side growing stronger).

RotS: Retroactively confirming Darth Mauls eyes are the result of Space Magic.

TFA: Stopping a Blaster with your mind, Chloroforming someone.

TLJ: Physically transporting objects to a telepathy partner, Ghost thunderstorms, Making holograms of yourself.

TRoS: Force Healing, Making your own memory forgive you, Dyads, Absorbing a dyad to grow fingers, mega lightning, Immortality though body hopping (possibly two different versions of body hopping in the same movie).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So basically not one Jedi had a proper build going. Just complete poo poo. Have none of them ever played KOTOR?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So basically not one Jedi had a proper build going. Just complete poo poo. Have none of them ever played KOTOR?

Their builds make more sense when you realize they're playing STAR WARS™ Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The whole order mostly had social builds. When conflict finally broke out they were depending on caster supremacy to carry them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ghost thunderstorms sounds like a topic discussed on an old Art Bell episode.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ESB also had telepathy with non force users

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

galagazombie posted:

Force Powers and Where to Find Them: The Crimes of Palpatine

ANH: Mind Tricks, Telekinesis (If that's what Force Choke is), having a kind of Sixth Sense that lets you block laser remotes, sense planets getting blown up and make one in a million shots. ascending to a higher plane of existence, Hearing the voices of the dead. The ability to create noises.

ESB: Telekinesis (unless that's what force choke is), Immortality through becoming a blue ghost, Telepathy, The ability to see the future, trippy vision quests. Catching lasers with your hand. Super Jump

RotJ: Lightning, Redirecting blasters with your Lightsaber (though that might fall under the aforementioned sixth sense), Mind Reading. Possibly the ability to mask your presence? (It's kinda vague if when Luke is hiding from Vader whether he's magically concealing himself or like, standing behind a pole.)

TPM: Super Speed, Giving yourself Yellow Eyes (retroactively), Holding your breath beyond human capability.

AotC: Catching lightning, and both redirecting it or absorbing it, Possibly the ability to affect others powers (It's unclear if the Jedi losing their ability to se the future is something Palpatine actively doing or just a symptom of the Dark Side growing stronger).

RotS: Retroactively confirming Darth Mauls eyes are the result of Space Magic.

TFA: Stopping a Blaster with your mind, Chloroforming someone.

TLJ: Physically transporting objects to a telepathy partner, Ghost thunderstorms, Making holograms of yourself.

TRoS: Force Healing, Making your own memory forgive you, Dyads, Absorbing a dyad to grow fingers, mega lightning, Immortality though body hopping (possibly two different versions of body hopping in the same movie).
I think you could make a good case that the thematic throughline in ANH is mind tricks, so we could easily be meant to read Vader's choke as him possibly tricking the weak-minded into choking themselves. Thus the theme of ESB is telekinesis, whether it's throwing, catching, lifting, jumping, or deflecting blaster bolts with the force.

Not sure how to classify the ghost voices and then the blue glowy ghosts, at the time they might just be ghost phenomenon that exist in the universe, later canonized as force powers, and then of course later revealed to be distinct from the no poo poo actual ghost who shows up in TRoS.

I think deflecting blasters with a lightsaber is just a property of the lightsaber blade itself, but you're right that the reveal in TPM that the Jedi have precognitive reflexes could count as a new power. By the time of RotJ, Mobile Suit Gundam had already aired, so it makes sense that precognitive reflexes would already be on their minds before they stated it outright in a film.

AotC lightning absorption is different from RotJ lightning reflection, but we can consider the latter to be a follow up of the former.

I forgot the Dyad stuff because lol. You're right, I missed body hopping being referred to as a force power.

Not sure if force chloroform is distinct from force stasis. Possibly.

Being able to see visions when touching an object should definitely count as force psychometry.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The galaxy was too peaceful, so they didn't have the EXP required to level up their skills

euphronius posted:

ESB also had telepathy with non force users
Han Solo is a force user

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

The whole order mostly had social builds. When conflict finally broke out they were depending on caster supremacy to carry them.

This was actually canon - when Lightsaber Forms were established in the EU, they decided that the vast majority of Jedi used the shittiest combat style on purpose:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean luke to leia communication which was a force user communicating telepathically with some random schmoe

Which I guess is just a modified Jedi mind trick

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

An entire order taught wrong, as a joke.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They should reveal in some prequel comic that the Sith tricked the Jedi into thinking sex is bad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Still can’t believe epstine taught kylo Ren

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The United States posted:

I think deflecting blasters with a lightsaber is just a property of the lightsaber blade itself, but you're right that the reveal in TPM that the Jedi have precognitive reflexes could count as a new power. By the time of RotJ, Mobile Suit Gundam had already aired, so it makes sense that precognitive reflexes would already be on their minds before they stated it outright in a film.

I didn't so much mean the blasters bouncing off the blade, as the ability to perfectly aim them back at the person who fired them, and Precognition came up in ESB, so Gundam definitely had nothing to do with that.

AotC lightning absorption is different from RotJ lightning reflection, but we can consider the latter to be a follow up of the former.

Do you mean RotS instead of RotJ? Because I'm pretty sure the only Lightning in Jedi is Sheev shooting Luke. In AotC Yoda Catches and throws back Dookus first lightning blast, Which Dooku the redirects, both fulfilling at least my definition of redirecting, then Dooku shoots a second blast that Yoda just outright absorbs.

I forgot the Dyad stuff because lol. You're right, I missed body hopping being referred to as a force power.
Body Hopping #1 is however Palpatine survived getting vaporized by the Death Stars main reactor and hopping in his weird crane supported body.
Body hopping #2 is Palatines whole plan where if Rey kills him he and all previous Sith will possess her (except she kills him and then they don't?)

Not sure if force chloroform is distinct from force stasis. Possibly.
Wait did they use stasis in a movie? I only remember it from KotOR.

Being able to see visions when touching an object should definitely count as force psychometry.
I feel that counts under "Have trippy vision quests"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

galagazombie posted:

I didn't so much mean the blasters bouncing off the blade, as the ability to perfectly aim them back at the person who fired them, and Precognition came up in ESB, so Gundam definitely had nothing to do with that.

Do you mean RotS instead of RotJ? Because I'm pretty sure the only Lightning in Jedi is Sheev shooting Luke. In AotC Yoda Catches and throws back Dookus first lightning blast, Which Dooku the redirects, both fulfilling at least my definition of redirecting, then Dooku shoots a second blast that Yoda just outright absorbs.

Body Hopping #1 is however Palpatine survived getting vaporized by the Death Stars main reactor and hopping in his weird crane supported body.
Body hopping #2 is Palatines whole plan where if Rey kills him he and all previous Sith will possess her (except she kills him and then they don't?)

Wait did they use stasis in a movie? I only remember it from KotOR.

I feel that counts under "Have trippy vision quests"
Gundam was finished before ESB too but concurrent with the production, I was referring to the use of extremely short windows of precognition as enhanced reflexes specifically. Jedi reflexes.

Sorry yeah RotS. I mean reflecting lightning with a lightsaber specifically, and not Dragonballing it with your hands.

I think both count as some sort of force soul transfer but yeah a difference in scale is implied.

Stasis was used to freeze the blaster bolt and apparently it also counts as the force chloroform ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2JwB9Zg_IE

I think they both fall under force visions of a sort but visions triggered by objects and visions triggered by magic caves are fairly different.

CelticPredator posted:

Still can’t believe epstine taught kylo Ren

lol what the gently caress

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What is a magic cave but a very big magic object?

Oh yeah I legit forgot he froze Poe alongside the blaster bolt, so Stasis is definitely something you can do. I object to Kylo chloroforming Rei being the same thing though, as he didn't freeze her in place, but knocked her unconscious. Poe is rigid, Rey goes flaccid.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Both Yoda and Obi Wan had encountered and deflected force lightning so it kind of is a dick move that they never bothered to tell Luke.

Obi Wan is so insistent on Luke killing Vader but apparently his master plan is then letting him be killed by Sheev.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Obi Wan was told to kill Darth Vader and by god he's going to take credit for it if he convinces Luke to do it on his Jedi performance review.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

You ever wanna try being evil you come look us up kid

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Communist Thoughts posted:

You ever wanna try being evil you come look us up kid

It's so hilarious that a comic that was meant to retroactively make the Knights of Ren "cool" and "important" after their sup-par movie appearance actually made them even lamer than their actual movie appearance. They spend the entire comic getting humiliated and clowned on in every fight. There is literally zero reason for Kylo to want to join them since he only see's them 1: all try to take Luke on at once and get curbstomped effortlessly where it's revealed they don't even know how to use the force, and 2: get beaten by a bunch of Luke's half trained padawans.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's funny that they tried to give Kylo his own ESB Vader + bounty hunters gang, except boring and grey. But instead of just letting them just be little bit of set dressing they got pressured into using them in ROS, where they were boring and grey

Although I'm sure someone was mad as hell in 1983 that zuckuss, 4-lom, and that mummy gently caress didn't show up in part 3

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like their 'subverting expectations' would have gone better if they knew how to actually meet expectations.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

It's funny that they tried to give Kylo his own ESB Vader + bounty hunters gang, except boring and grey. But instead of just letting them just be little bit of set dressing they got pressured into using them in ROS, where they were boring and grey

Although I'm sure someone was mad as hell in 1983 that zuckuss, 4-lom, and that mummy gently caress didn't show up in part 3

JJ: "Ah gently caress we forgot to use the Knights of Ren"
Disney: "That's ok just cram them in ep9"

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Obi wan force heals Luke when he gets clobbered by sand people

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn't Force Healing technically originate from the video games (I think the Super Star Wars series might have been the first to use it)?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The games had to, by necessity of the medium, codify what Jedi could do. In the original movies, they're more or less saints or warlocks able to do what God or the Devil allows them to.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I was wondering where Rey got her ROS saber from
She's been lugging it around since TFA

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vinylshadow posted:

This was pointed out at the time of TROS' release.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vinylshadow posted:

I can't help but feel sorry for the visual designers and such that worked on the film. These little details are all very neat, but

https://twitter.com/elijahwood/status/1229632586760081409

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't help but feel sorry for the visual designers and such that worked on the film. These little details are all very neat, but

https://twitter.com/elijahwood/status/1229632586760081409

Haha that rules

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Awesome interactions

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
What are "Sith values"?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

No Mods No Masters posted:

Macross et al have been doing the space ship strain of star wars better than star wars for like 30 years, disney doesn't deserve them

Fun fact: Macross Frontier is on YouTube in 720p, subbed. Goddamned good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBgMIYA874

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

porfiria posted:

What are "Sith values"?

Just going with the flow, Sith Happens.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a few pages into the comic adaptation of Trevorrow's script, and there are already more interesting alien faces than in the entire ST.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure if we have a thread dedicated to SW games so I’m posting this here instead, the new LEGO Star Wars game (the one that covers all 9 movies) will finally be out Spring 2022:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aCbnUmM6Nzs

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Larryb posted:

Not sure if we have a thread dedicated to SW games so I’m posting this here instead, the new LEGO Star Wars game (the one that covers all 9 movies) will finally be out Spring 2022:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aCbnUmM6Nzs

I've been looking forward to this one. Looks like they've really taken their time and revamped it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Man. Those Star Wars movies STANK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There is but one good prequel, one good interquel, and one good sequel that, for all their flaws, approach being actual movies and not just genre fluff.